Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

we need an aftermath thread too dammit

-Carson Palmer did a great Jake Delhomme impersonation

-Panthers lost two more starters on defense, though both will likely return for the super bowl

-Cam styled all over the Cardinals defense with Philly Brown

-Ted Ginn had his vengeance; was literally hit by a deep ball he wasn't looking for.

-Jerry Richardson banged the drum

-some dude fell onto the field

Good game cards. Y'all and your fans are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

i've been saying for years that ted ginn junior just needed time to develop

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Fantastic game, probably the best full game they've played all year. It certainly helped that each time things threatened to slip away from Carolina or I got that familiar "Here it goes..." feeling, the Cardinals dropped passes or turned the ball over.

Really hope Davis can play in the Super Bowl in two week's time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Cam-mer don't hurt 'em

How were the field conditions over there? I caught the second half and they didn't look nearly as bad as people were making them out to be before the game.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Maybe this is an overreaction to seeing a Cardinals team that looked better than anybody in the AFC just get buried alive, but I think the Broncos are kinda hosed.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sean10mm posted:

Maybe this is an overreaction to seeing a Cardinals team that looked better than anybody in the AFC just get buried alive, but I think the Broncos are kinda hosed.

My only hope for a good game is that one time dopey Eli Manning and a great defensive line once beat an undefeated, record setting Pats team.

Anything can happen

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Panthers gonna body Broncos so hard, Cam might as well change his cadence to "WORLD STAR".

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Ehud posted:

My only hope for a good game is that one time dopey Eli Manning and a great defensive line once beat an undefeated, record setting Pats team.

Anything can happen

Yeah, maybe a sick pass rush, NO RESPECT and a gallon of HGH can get them an upset, you never know. :iiam:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

edit: this is not relevant aftermath content it's about the super bowl matchup

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

FizFashizzle posted:

-Carson Palmer did a great Jake Delhomme impersonation

The most unfortunate outcome of today is that we can't ever pull out the Delhomming again because this is immediate rebuttal.

I am scared for week 1 :ohdear:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sean10mm posted:

ahh the Cardinals who barely edged out the elite Green Bay Packers to get to that game.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I hate Cams stupid diving into the endzone every chance he gets and the Glee-inspired dance-offs whenever they score, but man they mauled the poo poo out of the Cards. That was brutal and they should have called the game early.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

ahh the Cardinals who barely edged out the elite Green Bay Packers to get to that game.

Cards fell off a cliff at the end. This was an entirely different team week 17 onward.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

I hate Cams stupid diving into the endzone every chance he gets and the Glee-inspired dance-offs whenever they score, but man they mauled the poo poo out of the Cards. That was brutal and they should have called the game early.

i thought your name was Bob Morales, not Bob Costas.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
I think the little dances n poo poo are cool but overused. After almost every play. It just doesn't feel special anymore.

Cam diving into the endzone though :stonk: that's just not smart man. What if he had landed wrong or been hit?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it used to be when you saw somebody dab on the Jumbotron everyone would cheer, especially if it was a really young or really old person. At the NFCC they had a freakin' DAB CAM (short for camera, not Cameron, lol) and guess what? A lot of people simply don't know how to look good dabbing.

A few other thoughts after seeing yesterday's game live:

- Despite patches of ice all around the outside of the stadium, and even on the corners of the turf, field condition was perfectly fine on the gridiron itself. It was cold but it actually felt colder last weekend to me. (may have just been more prepared this time!)

- Jerry Richardson hitting the Keep Pounding drum was pretty unexpected, dude's pretty old but he looked damned respectable up there.

- I legit felt bad for Carson Palmer. I like the guy and I think he's a good QB, but our D was just insatiable. Their RBs didn't fare much better either. TD straight up feasted.

- I think I lost my sanity briefly during Kuechley's pick six, even more so than when he did it against the Seahawks. If he does that to Peyton during Super Bowl L I think I may just lay down on the floor and be quiet for a while, not quite knowing what to do with my body or brain.

- Josh Norman gave me a high five. :) Next jersey purchase confirmed

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Cam Newton trucking the Cardinals safety and actually carrying him 3 extra yards for a first down was amazing.

Sucks for Cardinals because they need a new QB now. It's hard to come back from Delhomming. It truly breaks the spirit.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

timp posted:

Don't get it just yet.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

three posted:

Cam Newton trucking the Cardinals safety and actually carrying him 3 extra yards for a first down was amazing.

Sucks for Cardinals because they need a new QB now. It's hard to come back from Delhomming. It truly breaks the spirit.

At least it wasn't Carson's birthday.

It wasn't Carson's birthday, was it?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Yeah he Delhomme'd himself alright. It's funny how all three times the teams have met in the playoffs, the games have been all-time bad for one side or one player.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

timp posted:

He came to a Coastal game the weekend after Thanksgiving to visit. He spent a ton of time in the stands just hanging out and taking pictures with fans. He is A Cool Dude.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Panthers are probably going to shithouse the Broncos. The score will be close because Denver's D is legitimately awesome, but the game itself will not be and the Panthers will have control the whole time. The Broncos offense looked terrible against the Patriots D, they stand no chance against the Carolina front 7. Peyton gonna get murdered and he doesn't have the arm to really pick apart the questionable secondary.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Febreeze posted:

Panthers are probably going to shithouse the Broncos. The score will be close because Denver's D is legitimately awesome, but the game itself will not be and the Panthers will have control the whole time. The Broncos offense looked terrible against the Patriots D, they stand no chance against the Carolina front 7. Peyton gonna get murdered and he doesn't have the arm to really pick apart the questionable secondary.

I agree, though the Panthers are a much tougher offensive matchup than the Pats were yesterday. Their OL and running backs are way better and Cam creates unique problems that will be harder to game plan for than "Whelp, their OTs can't handle speed and their running backs are crap, so just go HAM against the short pass and get infinite sacks with no blitzes."

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Arians has two coach of the years and he has done poo poo, 1-2 in the playoffs beating a terrible Green Bay team, wow, great job have another coach of the year

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Destoration posted:

Cam diving into the endzone though :stonk: that's just not smart man. What if he had landed wrong or been hit?

If he keeps up stuff like this, I honestly don't expect him to have a very long career. The guy may be built like a truck but kneel and back injuries will add up over time...

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
The prevailing opinion is that Denver is a better matchup for Carolina than New England. Denver's offensive scheme plays into Carolina's strengths, which is stopping the run and the short passing game. Throwing against Carolina short is a nightmare, because Luke Keuchly and Thomas Davis are basically safeties playing linebacker. They are honestly our second and third best pass defenders. If Davis can't go, that really hurts, but linebacker is our deepest position.

On offense, Carolina matches up about as well as anyone against Denver. That defense is scary, and Carolina hasn't seen anyone as good as Ware and Miller off the edge. Carolina's offensive line is strong inside, but only average at tackle. They could easily get overwhelmed. At the same time, Carolina matches up better than anyone against the blitz. Cam Newton is the best QB against the blitz this year, and he has one of the best TEs in the league as a safety net. He also has a rushing game that is designed to take pressure off the edge rush. Carolina has a lot of formations and designed QB runs that can force Ware and Miller to stay at home, and Newton is one of the few QBs in the league who will pull the ball down and run up the middle if pressure is coming from the edge. Obviously no one matches up great against a defense that is playing like one of the best of all-time, but Carolina does have a chance to put up points.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Watching Rivera play soft coverage against NE in the Super Bowl when the game is on the line would give me a stroke and I am glad I do not have to see that.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Do it ironically posted:

Arians has two coach of the years and he has done poo poo, 1-2 in the playoffs beating a terrible Green Bay team, wow, great job have another coach of the year

gonna take a lot of playoff losses before I get tired of even seeing them.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

gonna take a lot of playoff losses before I get tired of even seeing them.

yeah. i'll take a .708 coach forever

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Do it ironically posted:

My team is doing really but didn't win the super bowl :qq:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

The prevailing opinion is that Denver is a better matchup for Carolina than New England. Denver's offensive scheme plays into Carolina's strengths, which is stopping the run and the short passing game. Throwing against Carolina short is a nightmare, because Luke Keuchly and Thomas Davis are basically safeties playing linebacker. They are honestly our second and third best pass defenders. If Davis can't go, that really hurts, but linebacker is our deepest position.

On offense, Carolina matches up about as well as anyone against Denver. That defense is scary, and Carolina hasn't seen anyone as good as Ware and Miller off the edge. Carolina's offensive line is strong inside, but only average at tackle. They could easily get overwhelmed. At the same time, Carolina matches up better than anyone against the blitz. Cam Newton is the best QB against the blitz this year, and he has one of the best TEs in the league as a safety net. He also has a rushing game that is designed to take pressure off the edge rush. Carolina has a lot of formations and designed QB runs that can force Ware and Miller to stay at home, and Newton is one of the few QBs in the league who will pull the ball down and run up the middle if pressure is coming from the edge. Obviously no one matches up great against a defense that is playing like one of the best of all-time, but Carolina does have a chance to put up points.

Denver's defense was perfect for beating the Pats, really: fast edge rushers going up against big slow OTs who can't handle speed at all meant tons of pressure from 3-4 man fronts without blitzing. Not needing to blitz or respect the run at all meant everyone else could drop into coverage and clog up Brady's favorite routes so even the quick stuff wasn't open before Ware or Von Miller drilled Brady. And there were no fast perimeter players who could catch or competent 3rd down receiving backs to account for either.

Luckily for Carolina, pretty much none of those things apply to them. Denver will have to respect their run game and will have to defend the whole field. Ware on Von Miller will undoubtedly generate some pressure regardless, but it took a combination of feeble running backs and garbage offensive tackles for them to go completely HAM on Brady. Ginn is basically Randy Moss compared to...uh... James White or whatever the gently caress.

Denver has a strong defense that could keep it close or even win it outright, but they have a much more challenging problem to solve with Carolina than they did with New England.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
I've been waiting for the Panthers other shoe to drop and for them to start sucking. I've been waiting quite a while...on one hand, I still feel like they aren't as good as they appear to look but on the other hand they kinda do appear to be really loving good and I'm sure my Panther goggles are just not letting me see just how good they are.

That said, congrats to the Panthers and the goon fans. I am super loving jealous that another NFCS team is in the Superbowl and that again it's not the one I root for. I wish ya'll the best and hope the Superbowl is a great game free from major injuries and that the best team wins.

All that said, I would love to see Pey Pey go out on top with a ring Elway style and ride off into the sunset. Cam and the Panthers are going to have many years to win, so gently caress them and go Broncos!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

SourKraut posted:

If he keeps up stuff like this, I honestly don't expect him to have a very long career. The guy may be built like a truck but kneel and back injuries will add up over time...

I dunno. Ben is still good.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Probably the weirdest thing about this game for me was how much Fitzgerald was a complete and total non-factor. I thought for sure he would eat up Finnegan and company.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald: 'It hurts to lose like this'

that video :smith:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I think that's more a reflection of how lovely Carson played than anything on Fitzgerald. Even that awkward jump/dropped pass was tipped weird at the line.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

WHOOPS posted:

I think that's more a reflection of how lovely Carson played than anything on Fitzgerald. Even that awkward jump/dropped pass was tipped weird at the line.

Yeah, Palmer obviously made a lot of really bad decisions. It's just wild the Cardinals were unable to capitalize at all on such a clear advantage there.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Another thing the Panthers have that the Patriots did not are guys in the backfield who can block a rusher. When their o-line was getting beat like a drum the Patriots did not have anyway to help the o-line. If the Panthers o-line is getting smoked like that Tolbert and Stewart can both pick up a blitz good enough to buy Cam time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ribsauce posted:

Another thing the Panthers have that the Patriots did not are guys in the backfield who can block a rusher. When their o-line was getting beat like a drum the Patriots did not have anyway to help the o-line. If the Panthers o-line is getting smoked like that Tolbert and Stewart can both pick up a blitz good enough to buy Cam time.

Plus Cam can run at a pace that can't be described as "glacial", unlike Tom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Do it ironically posted:

The packers were merely Bad not terrible get it right

• Locked thread