Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

r u ready to WALK posted:

i remember i made a thing that would queue up youtube videos linked in chat to convert and play them through quicktime streaming server so people could watch stupid videos somewhat synchronized together in a virtual cinema, which i think was pretty neat in 2006

so, Goontu.be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
/\ - so many fond memories of all the shared experience things we did loving around in Baku and... Satyr? I think it was called in V5?

I remember it was also integrated into IRC and it had a ban filter that would kick you out of the world if you misspelled words.

My favourite bits were all the creativity on display spending a couple of days building an elaborate 'theme' that rivalled all the other lovely areas in Second Life, tweaking the description settings to lure pubbies into it for laughs, then nuking it every month and starting again fresh.

I took so many photos and videos in that era. One day I'll go back and collate a bunch of stuff.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
welp, some old controversies are stirring again!

https://medium.com/@dantesedmond1844/the-reality-of-second-lifes-ageplay-problem-73de059b4af4

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I really liked the giant hams with eyes that floated around and stared at people.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Baku was great, some goon there gave me a costume for the pedofinder general from monkey dust, it had inbuilt sounds and everything.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

gently caress SNEEP posted:

welp I recognize half the people in this photo so now I gotta see if I can dig any up from that time

Oh?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Kharnifex posted:

Baku was great, some goon there gave me a costume for the pedofinder general from monkey dust, it had inbuilt sounds and everything.

I hear your services are needed once more

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Geez, I don't know which is more disturbing, the "ageplay" stuff or the fact that some player cared enough about their virtual world to write a 50,000 word screed about it. I read about 3 screens of it and noticed my cursor bar had moved about 1 pixel.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I was playing this back in October of the past year, I didn't know there was a thread to bump. Second Life is an amazing internet time capsule that is absolutely worth exploring imo. If I remember tomorrow maybe I'll find and post my screenshots.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My weirdest SL story is from when someone released a "copybot" client that could clone objects in the game and there was a big copyright uproar about it, someone at a protest made a neat xerox machine which I edited so you could sit on it and print out xeroxed butts

And then someone wrote an MIT research paper about it: https://web.mit.edu/comm-forum/legacy/mit5/papers/burcu_bakioglu.pdf

Fond memories of peak hype in 2006-2007 when a bunch of big corporations thought this was the future of the internet and absolutely had to get on that bandwagon.
I can't believe it's been over 20 years :corsair:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Hammerite posted:

I hear your services are needed once more

By the powers invested in me by some random bloke at the pub, I pronounce all of Second Life guilty!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Why'd this thread get necroed? Did they finally let dogs vote?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

second life

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It's the only place where you walk around with a 50ft horse wiener and it not be the weirdest thing you've ever seen at the same time.
Sorta like most posts on this forum, there's always a weirder one.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

oh, jesus.

virtual-secrets.com. i forgot about that site.
it's an offsite repository for second life drama and poo poo talking.
the mentality of most of these adult human beings who endlessly submit poo poo there is just.. gently caress.

i still like to dick around in sl. mostly hanging out in the wastelands which a pal of mine runs. and i run weekly movie nights and stuff and it's pretty chill and fun.
a lot of sl people are loving deranged, though.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

logged on a bit ago for a rave, that was a different story, but im bouncing around worlds trying to figure out how exploration works and i stumble upon a baby gambling hall. i mena there were other normal looking people playing and such but all the dealers and most participants were infants, diapers and everything. it was very strange. the rave was sweet:sotw:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Pasketti posted:

I went to a Trump dance club on the 2016 election night using a twerking Goku avatar wearing a MAGA hat and I kept standing close to other avatars so I was grinding on them and they got so mad. It was fun until I realized he was actually gonna win. It was a much more innocent time.

One guy got really frustrated though and said something along the lines of "I thought you people were more mature than this but Goku proves you're all just as bad as the left" and he logged out. That was a powerful moment.

i wish akira couldve heard this

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Happy second-wife, Happy second-life

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Gomi Day posted:

oh, jesus.

virtual-secrets.com. i forgot about that site.
it's an offsite repository for second life drama and poo poo talking.
the mentality of most of these adult human beings who endlessly submit poo poo there is just.. gently caress.

i still like to dick around in sl. mostly hanging out in the wastelands which a pal of mine runs. and i run weekly movie nights and stuff and it's pretty chill and fun.
a lot of sl people are loving deranged, though.

I have honest to god never heard of this site before someone pasted me that, is the skull density average what I think it is?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

stop cumming on my private parcels you perverts

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Bad Purchase posted:

cum on my private parcels you perverts

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Ralph Crammed In posted:

who let the dogs vote

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

who let the dogs vote

WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Can you have a normal secons life or is it a requirement that youre a huge tiddy garfield with a giant wriggly penis for a nose

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hey it's me, John Smith, I sell life insurance products in Second Life.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I need to actually fiddle around with VR Chat now that I have a better PC. It seems like it would be a blast to chill in with friends.

I miss old internet quirky social programs like this. I spent many years in video game hub rooms in The Palace image chat.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

redshirt posted:

Hey it's me, John Smith, I sell life insurance products in Second Life.

Hello John I am a 30 foot female dracula with cocks for fingers and im looking for garfield insurance

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

So many banned and permad people in the beginning of this thread lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Tarkus posted:

So many banned and permad people in the beginning of this thread lol

Rutibex lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
free chinatown

naem
May 29, 2011

I knew a guy who was convinced that 2006 was the future and utopia was now

he had a job on the periphery of video game design and was really into second life

he complained that his huge dvd collection was obsolete and that he had to buy everything on blue ray now

he borrowed like $10k to buy a larger than average flat screen tv

a year later Netflix started streaming, the game studio he worked at folded, think he got a divorce?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kntfkr posted:

free chinatown

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kntfkr posted:

free chinatown

GBS is sorely lacking in posts about banh mis, doing cocaine and being aggressive on bikes

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

everyone is more than welcome to cum on my parcel

I'd like it if you said something nice to me while you did it, but you don't have to

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

MrQwerty posted:

Rutibex lol

Yeah, that was an odd thing to end things on lol.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Tarkus posted:

Very apropos that he's one of the first posts

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaTYFs380rI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tarkus posted:

if AI ever does become sophisticated enough that we need to start seriously considering the ethics of how we treat them there is going to be SO many fantastic takes