Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This weird gross ad popped up to remind me that if I want to live my online life as anime style teenage girl that's still an option for me.

I didn't know second life was still around but I'm not at all surprised.

Hey! remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RedLyae4b2s Warning :nws: for giant wriggling virtual cocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
boo

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
loving around and upsetting the status quo of people's virtual lives in with goons in SL are some of my favourite gaming memories.

Second Life was pretty amazing from a creative standpoint as it was a world where you could do all sorts of crazy multi user game development / modelling / scripting / animating real time with other internet people. And of course what did people do with all that power? Spend their time playing Barbie dolls in furry spider sex dungeons.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
when does Second Life Classic come out?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
W-hat?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Second Life with Goons was not as fun as Garry's mod with Goons.

Building diarrhea fart emitters in Gmod was much easier.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

2006-2007 was such a magical time

the great thing about second life back then was that it made big corporations buy into the hype, thinking it was the next internet revolution

so you could visit Toyota, Sun Microsystems or IBM and shoot the virtual CEO with a dick cannon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE_6Xv_rEt4

zhar
May 3, 2019

Cool biker gang
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaTYFs380rI

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
eh if ur ever dieing for more content from back then the w-hat plot was called baku and they did fun gimmicks every now and then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpQCzZP5CA

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

lol this is the only image I'll ever associate with SecondLife

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
the effort goons used to put into sl makes me sad in retrospect just for how much of a youtube/streaming sensation they could have been today.

like everymonth they did some coordinated thing like this

really makes me wish i recorded video when i played it.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

only thing i remember about second life was going around with a bunch of goons all looking like the martians from Mars Attacks on a sort of human safari. i think at one point we declared a stripper pole to be a deity?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I only regret that I have but two lives to waste for my online website.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Could I have built a steam powered rocket to see if the Second Life planet/map was flat?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Baku Christmas was the best time to check out second life

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

vrchat is the place to be an anime girl now grandpa

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i remember i made a thing that would queue up youtube videos linked in chat to convert and play them through quicktime streaming server so people could watch stupid videos somewhat synchronized together in a virtual cinema, which i think was pretty neat in 2006

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
IIRC, Duran Duran has an entire area still rented out on SL.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I like these videos from this guy. Goes around and trolls people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZERGog8oegg

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

Could I have built a steam powered rocket to see if the Second Life planet/map was flat?

yes, and you could've shaped it like a giant dog dick and also hosted orgies in there.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
You know what they say, op: happy second wife, happy second life

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Mostly what I know of second life is that my cousin, who was in his 50's at the time, ended his marriage and started dating this 500 lb woman he met on second life who looked exactly like his mother. I just assume that everything about Second Life reflects these kind of poor life choices.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Solar Tornado posted:

You know what they say, op: happy second wife, happy second life

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Wasn't SL the first large social network?

I found out that you could spawn houses and stuff in other people's areas, so I used to find abandoned land and spawn a giant mansion that floated in the sky and it would stay there for months until the property owner found out and sent me an angry message about it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rad-daddio posted:

yes, and you could've shaped it like a giant dog dick and also hosted orgies in there.

My life...wasted
*crumples papers between fists as I fall to my knees*

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rad-daddio posted:

nah there was lots of weird poo poo going on in AOL back in the day

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Rad-daddio posted:

Newsgroups, and IRC predate it by quite a few years in internet time. There were absolutely aging neck-beards role playing as 16 year old anime girls on IRC.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I remember starting to intimately cuddle on a bed with someone in SL and then they remembered to ask how old I was and freaked out when I was honest. I was thirteen.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

They had already begun masturbating.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

The_Continental posted:

They had already begun masturbating.

100%. IIRC they were a woman in their thirties but even at the time I was thinking suuuure you are, pal, BUT your character does have tits sooooo

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

this is my favorite second life thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaTYFs380rI

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
There was a dude who modified a treadmill and recreated Ghandi's trek to the ocean er whatever and it was the most self important white guy wank fest I'd ever read.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
there usee to be a guy named cody. he was a second life magician who was also a devout christian and heavily in to bdsm. magic is cool. magic is less cool when the tricks are scripted objects in a game that teleport your virtual submissive gf.

the dude had that amazing mix of being super in to his magic show and complete obliviousness so he never realized his audience and fans were all griefers. dude brought groups together. his auditorium was always packed with goons, 4channers, and people too toxic for either site.

there was also a group called super heroes sl or something. theyd dress up in copyright infringing outfits and respond to people in "trouble" to mass report people since in games more reports is more attention. that was the idea anyway. ripoff superman also failed to notice his meetings were only attended by everyone he was trying to get banned.

the pulling out a dick during a poetry reading stuff was minute to minute fun, but some of these guys were great to watch over the months or years

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Polygon's "boy mayor of second life" trilogy usually makes me laugh

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
there was also corsi mousehold. corsi mousehold got booted from the goon group for being too weird for goons. then he got even weirder. he gained infamy for stealing a bunch of sex bed assets and selling them as his own. the guy he stole from made such a stink that it made the news and went to court. i think the case fizzled out though because small town judges dont know what the internet is.

what makes corsi interesting is hes an age playing furry. brother let me tell you that you havent lived until youve seen a 45 year old man running around as a big titted wolf asking a child avatar if they want to put their dog prick in mommy

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

Robo Reagan posted:

there usee to be a guy named cody. he was a second life magician who was also a devout christian and heavily in to bdsm. magic is cool. magic is less cool when the tricks are scripted objects in a game that teleport your virtual submissive gf.

the dude had that amazing mix of being super in to his magic show and complete obliviousness so he never realized his audience and fans were all griefers. dude brought groups together. his auditorium was always packed with goons, 4channers, and people too toxic for either site.

his simple glee in what he was doing was infectious, though.
us w-hat folks and everyone else may have initially came to laugh. but god drat it, his magic shows were so so silly and dumb in the most charming way. most of us legit enjoyed ourselves :toot:

i'm fairly certain coby has since died irl.
rip internet magic man.

[edit: whoops! his name was actually coby!]

Gomi Day fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 25, 2020

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat, thats a shame. cody was always down for whatever weird poo poo we dragged him to.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYcXcCpD0qA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

The_Continental posted:

This weird gross ad popped up to remind me that if I want to live my online life as anime style teenage girl that's still an option for me.

Unban Skylark

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)