Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
As long as history/literature asides are something you want/like to do then it is definitely something I would love to keep reading in this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Hello everyone, and welcome back to LLP. There was pretty universal support in the threads for Yams' History Corner, so I'll definitely keep it up! :eng101: Luckily for all my fellow nerds, there's a good bit to discuss this update.

Our stats are all getting pretty up there. Lavinia's scene will bump some of our maxed ones back down, though.

Even though it is only a print and not an original painting, I keep her on my wall to serve as my inspiration.
She is the quintessential English rose, you see. Not the daring and fashionable Gibson Girl, but a more traditional beauty, delicate and fair.
You see how white her skin is, with only the faintest touch of rose at her cheeks and lips? And her hair, that light ash, brown, so unassuming and untouched by artifice?
Do you see how she reclines, how she sighs, modest and tender as a petal? That is true beauty.

It's likely that Lavinia's dialogue is meant to reference an actual painting, but given the enormous amount of Victorian-era portraiture that exists and the vague description, I can't source it with any confidence. Below are some portraits from the time period that match the description, but if anyone more familiar with art has a guess on what the actual picture may be, let me know!

Unpacking the rest of the dialogue, "English rose" is a phrase that generally refers to a pale, light-haired, beautiful young English woman. A "Gibson girl", meanwhile, refers to a woman trying to emulate the appearance of women in popular sketches by Charles Gibson. Both of these phrases are anachronistic-- Gibson's sketches wouldn't arrive until the 1890s (not to mention that "Gibson girl" generally refers to American women), and the phrase "English rose" wasn't coined until 1902.

Victorian standards of beauty were, uh, something. To give you an idea, the goal was more or less to emulate the appearance of someone dying of tuberculosis-- translucently pale, slim, with big, watery eyes. Makeup was very much frowned upon, and considered the realm of actresses, dancers, and prostitutes (which were regarded as interchangeable professions at the time). Many women still cheated by applying subtle cosmetics in secret, or doing things like pinching their cheeks and biting their lips to give them color naturally. To achieve the big watery eyes, some would drip drops of perfume or belladonna (poison) into their eyes.
:wtc:

I know.
(Neither will you. I am not fair-haired or soft or rosy-cheeked, but your hair is as straight and black as mine, and your skin is darker.)
However, you could certainly make some improvements. Your clothing is so queer and old-fashioned.
What makes the difference between ’old’fashioned’ and ’traditional'?
One is better than the other.
(That's not an answer!)

I find this exchange slightly funny, honestly. It really shows how much Lavinia is just a little girl parroting back things that she's picked up, and that she really doesn't know much more than Sara does. It's the kind of thing I used to do as a kid, pick up bits and pieces, coalesce them into an idea, and then repeat it with complete confidence, even though it was largely nonsense. :allears:

Since we're speaking about clothes, it's worth noting briefly that the outfits in the game really don't bear much resemblance to historical fashions or garments. Bernadette Banner (whose YouTube channel you should check out if you're interested in historical fashion) would weep to see them, I'm sure. The fashionable young lady in 1888 would have more likely been wearing something like this or this at home and at school, and something like this when about town or for traveling.

My mother is dead.
Oh.
Very little ever seemed to make Lavinia uncomfortable; this subject, however, shook her composure.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be... I didn’t know.
It's all right. I never knew her, so it doesn’t make me sad. She died when I was born.
Well, anyway, it's just not done to talk about the... departed. And especially not to criticise them. That is a piece of English manners which you should learn.
So — I ask that you forgive me for what I said.
Of course I forgive you.
(I wonder if her mother is dead, too? But if she says it's rude to talk about it, she would probably be upset if I asked.)

Perhaps you will develop your own style when you are older. What do you think, Miss Crewe — will you become a 'New Woman'?
I do not know what a New Woman is. Is there an Old Woman? What is the difference? I suppose every woman will become an old woman, eventually... but every girl must become a new woman at some point, first.
How you do tie yourself in knots! If you aren't careful, you will become known as a bluestocking.
Sara looked down at her stockings, which were quite clearly white with blue embroidery. Lavinia sighed noisily.
An overly intellectual woman.
She turned back to regard her 'inspirational' print.
The ideal English lady is accomplished and well-read, but only enough to make polite conversation. Not enough to be challenging.
(I think Lavinia will always be a challenge.)

Big yikes with the gender roles. A "New woman" is a term that describes a somewhat or completely independent woman-- she may be more forceful and assertive in manner than a typical woman, have her own career and income apart from her husband, or avoid being married altogether. The archetype popped up in the late 19th century and influenced feminism long into the 20th-- some "new women" were even so audacious as to enter lesbian relationships. :ssh:

Lavinia is of course right about how at the time it was thought that women should be educated, but in a way that was not challenging to men. While most upper-class girls went to school by the late 19th century, their education was focused on domestic activities (cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc.) and "accomplishments" (singing, playing instruments, languages, etc.). These skills were to help her attract a husband and entertain him during their marriage. Women's brains were thought to be fundamentally different during the era-- they were less capable of logic and reason than men, of course :rolleyes:, and straining too much in those areas was believed to be bad for a woman's health.

Still, there will always be a benefit in looking one's best. That Lottie, with her little golden curls, is likely to become something of a beauty when she is older.
If she ever ceases to be an irritatingly spoiled brat.
Hmm.
(I suppose none of us see ourselves as we see others. I am sure I have quite obvious flaws that I completely overlook.)
Is it all right, then, to call her 'Lottie' and not ’Miss Leigh’?
Hmm? Oh. Yes. She's a child.
And really, it is tiresome being so formal all the time. We are all practically family here, aren't we? We live under the same roof. We share with each other, like sisters.
Therefore, you may call me Lavinia.
Thank you, Lavinia.

Lavinia nodded earnestly.
Yes, that's just so. Failing to reciprocate would be impolite.
If you want to show more enthusiasm, you can be more insistent. 'You must call me Sara.’
However, too much enthusiasm seems clumsy, fawning. It cloys.
I will remember that.
(She does put a good deal of thought into how a lady should behave. But if she must play a part, why not choose a more enjoyable one to play?)

Progress! We are now on a first-name basis with Lavinia. Am I the only one that finds it...weirdly endearing that Lavinia, despite being super smug about it, is actually trying to teach Sara? She's doing it partly because it makes her feel superior, sure, but she's taking it seriously. I admit that I was super spoiled and full of myself as a kid, and I see a lot of little me in Lavinia. I may have a soft spot for her because of that. :unsmith:

Next scene!

Oh, I don't think so. Not by the mirror.
You see, it is nice to sit and think while you run the brush through my hair. Sometimes, I remember
stories, or think of things I want to say to someone else. Other times, it helps me relax. It must be like that for Tybalt, when someone is petting him.
But if I were looking into the mirror, then the Sara in the mirror would be looking back at me, and we should have to pay attention to each other or else we might be thought impolite.
Mariette laughed in the back of her throat.
That is as you wish. I had thought of doing something different with your hair, and if you could see, then you would know more quickly if you thought yes or no, and I could change it if you did not like it.
Well, I think that it's better to look at it when it's finished. If you stop reading a book in the middle, you might have the wrong idea of what it's all about.
Then I will show you when I am done.

I, personally, am a big proponent of not slogging through media you don't enjoy simply because it might get better. I give things a fair shake, but if I'm a good third into a book and it still hasn't grabbed my interest, I feel no shame in giving up on it. Same with TV shows, movies, or whatever else. :colbert:

...But yeah, it's a good philosophy for hairstyles, I guess.

(This school is full of other girls, but they are, like me, guests of Miss Minchin. We live in the same house, but they are not part of my household. Mariette is the only person who belongs to me.)

:yiikes:

(It is nice to sit and think while she brushes my hair, and she has a better way with it than my old Ayah did, but... I do miss my Papa so!)
(If he were here, if he were coming to visit me as some girls' parents do, how happy my life would be!)
I wonder where my Papa is now...

No, it is good, mademoiselle, you should speak your thoughts. Your father sailed many weeks ago. By now, he is in India, yes? Home and safe, and thinking how different the house seems without your footsteps.
Oh, I don't want to think of him sad and lonely...
It is right that he misses you, and that you miss him. That is how things should be. But that does not mean your life is nothing but sadness, does it?
No — I do not think I am 'melancholy'. I would not wish to be. I enjoy my books and my friends.
So, you see? Your papa, he will be lonely, but he will also feel other things. He will live his life, but he will also think of you. I believe you will hear from him soon.
Oh, I hope you are right!
No, you must be right. My papa will write me letters, as soon as the ships can carry them, and I will treasure his words.
(And I hope — I do hope — that my papa has a friend to care for him, as Mariette cares for me.)

A sweet scene, other than that one bit about 'owning' your servants. I don't think Sara meant for it to come off that way, but...yeah. Servants were entirely at the mercy of their employers in the Victorian era. They worked excruciatingly long days (12 or more hours), had time off only at the whim of their master or mistress, and usually lived in the household, meaning they depended on their employer for food and shelter and were isolated from their family and friends. They also made jack loving squat, naturally. A lady's maid like Mariette would typically make 20 pounds a year, or about $3k today. Given that Captain Crewe is insanely rich, she may very well be payed more, but that's the average I found.

The first high-pitched shriek made her startle, concerned that one of the younger girls might have injured herself. Sara was a quiet and solemn girl herself, but made no judgment against those whose temperaments led them to cry out loudly when they were in pain. However, the wailing went on and on, more angry than miserable, and the voice was recognisably Lottie's. Sara came closer, and began to make out the accompaniment of frustrated adult that had been drowned out by childish tantrum.
What ARE you crying for? There is nothing wrong with you!
Oh — oh — oh!! I haven't got any mam—maaa!
Stop crying, for heaven’s sake.
Uwaaaaahahaaa-aaa! Haven't — got — any — maa—maaaa!
You ought to be whipped. You SHALL be whipped if you do not hush, you naughty child!
Lottie wailed more loudly than ever.

Seems like a super fun and productive conversation they're having.

Oh! Dear Sara.
Miss Minchin's attempt at producing a friendly smile was not at all convincing. Lottie's roars continued unabated, and each burst of sound made Miss Minchin's shoulders twitch.
I stopped because I knew it was Lottie — and I thought, perhaps — just perhaps, I could make her be quiet. May I try, Miss Minchin?
If you can quiet that, you are a clever child. Dreadful thing — we may not be able to keep her.
I...
But you are clever in everything, my dear. I dare say you can manage her. Go in.

Uuwwaaaaahaahaahaaa-aaaa! Ah! Ah! Hnaaaaaaaah!
Sara stood by the howling furious child for a few moments, and looked down at her without saying anything. Then she sat down flat on the floor beside her and waited. Except for Lottie's angry screams, the room was quite quiet.
This was a new state of affairs for Lottie, who was accustomed to hearing other people protest and implore and command and coax her by turns. To find that the only person near her did not seem to mind in the least how she kicked and screamed was unusual, and made it necessary for her to pause her sobbing in order to see what was going on. She opened her tight-shut streaming eyes to see who this person was, and found that it was only another little girl — but it was the one who owned Emily and all the nice things. Sara looked at Lottie quite curiously, but said nothing. Lottie sucked in a gulp of air, but the noise she made sounded rather half-hearted.
I — I haven't any maa-maaa!

Lottie blinked rapidly at this unexpected answer. Her legs and arms ceased their kicking and lay flat against the floor.
Where — where is your mamma?
She went to heaven. But I am sure she comes out sometimes to see me — though I don't see her. So does yours. Perhaps
they can both see us now. Perhaps they are both in this room.
Here!
Lottie sat bolt upright and looked around. Seeing nothing, her face began to scrunch up again.
We can't see the people who live in heaven, even when they come to visit us.

Their land is full of lilies, fields and fields of lilies — and when the soft wind blows over them, it wafts the scent of them into the air.
And everybody always breathes it, because that soft wind is always blowing. Wind, and sunlight, and the streets are always shining. And little children run about in the lily fields and gather armfuls of them, and laugh and make little wreaths to wear on their heads, or spin cloaks and dresses of soft lily petals. The petals never go dry or brown, but when the children grow tired of them they toss the petals into the air and they turn into clouds.
Lottie had by now quite forgotten to cry, and was leaning forward, hanging on every word that Sara spoke.
In that shining city, people are never tired, however far they walk. They can float anywhere they like. And there are walls made of pearl and gold all round the city, but they are low enough for the people to go and lean on them, and look down onto the earth and smile. From those walls, sometimes, they dance down to visit us. Other times, they whisper beautiful messages into the wind and hope that someday we will hear them.

I couldn't find any good sources on what the Victorian ideal of heaven was, other than a couple of books that I didn't want to buy just for this one blurb in the LP. It's mentioned in the novel that Sara's ideas are considered fanciful and strange. As an atheist who was raised in a nominally Christian household but never went to church, it sounds more or less in line, if much more detailed, with the vague descriptions I've heard. I'm pretty sure the gold and pearl and all that is actually in the bible, though.

I — I haven't any mamma here.
Sara saw the danger signal, and took hold of Lottie's hand with a coaxing little laugh.
I will be your mamma in this school. We will play that you are my little girl. And Emily shall be your sister.
Shall she?
Yes. Let us go and tell her. And then I will wash your face and brush your hair, and both of us shall have — a little bit more family.

:unsmith: Sara seems to have found herself a single mother at the tender age of 10(?). It's sweet, though, and Lottie could use someone looking after her other than Miss Minchin, whose first response to most things seems to be yelling.

We currently meet all requirements, so feel free to vote for whomever you wish, and remember to vote for our activities as well. See you next time!

yamiaainferno fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 14, 2020

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

yamiaainferno posted:

So — I ask that you forgive me for what I said.
Of course I forgive you.
(I wonder if her mother is dead, too? But if she says it's rude to talk about it, she would probably be upset if I asked.)

she ever ceases to be an irritatingly spoiled brat.

I think there's a slipped portrait and a missing word in these spots.

That aside: let's hang out with Mariette.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

TeeQueue posted:

I think there's a slipped portrait and a missing word in these spots.

:argh: Thanks for pointing that out. Fixed.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Write, Dance, Tea, Jessie

Voting Jessie again because she wasn't in this update again.

For the stats I just picked randomly this week.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Senerio posted:

Write, Dance, Tea, Jessie

Voting Jessie again because she wasn't in this update again.

For the stats I just picked randomly this week.

+1

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Jessie! For activities, just do whatever, it doesn't seem that important.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Mariette for this week and I have to agree that the stats don't appear to matter as much. So whatever you feel is best is my vote for activities.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

:siren: TIE BREAK 2: SUDDENER, DEATHIER :siren:

Jessie and Mariette have received the same number of votes. Next vote, in either thread, decides.

Jessie wins!

yamiaainferno fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 15, 2020

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Jessie!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Just a quick heads-up: A Little Lily Princess is on sale on Steam for 70% off, coming to $4.49 without tax. If you're interested in playing and have Steam, now would be a good time to pick it up!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/449250/A_Little_Lily_Princess/

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Just a quick heads-up: A Little Lily Princess is on sale on Steam for 70% off, coming to $4.49 without tax. If you're interested in playing and have Steam, now would be a good time to pick it up!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/449250/A_Little_Lily_Princess/

Thanks! I picked up a copy, since I'm pretty much playing it vicariously through this thread.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Hello everyone, and welcome back to LLP.

Not much interest in the thread as to our activities at present. If I remember correctly the costs for scenes get steeper the further we go down routes, so hopefully things will pick back up eventually.

As for the weekend, we had another tie: this time between Mariette and Jessie. Jessie won the sudden death round, so Mariette is shuffled into second place for the third week in a row.

I was hoping you could tell me more about your life in India. It all sounds very interesting and different to me.
I am only learning the ways that it was different by being here.
My papa and I lived in a bungalow that was as large as this school, but wide rather than tall. There was a veranda where we could sit in the breeze and watch the sun set. The summers are so hot that many children of British parents become ill, so we are taken away to the 'hill stations', which are towns in the mountains near lakes, where it is cooler. I had many toys and pets and servants that would salaam to me and call me 'Miss Sahib'. I suppose that is because we are 'rich', but it is all the life that I knew.
Did you ride elephants and camelopards and tigers?
I have never seen a camelopard!

'What the gently caress is a camelopard?', you may very well be asking. Apparently, it's a giraffe. The Greeks and Romans thought that giraffes were hybrids of camels and leopards and named them accordingly. 'Giraffe', meanwhile, comes from the French girafe, which comes from the Italian giraffa, which comes from the Arabic zarafa, which is probably derived from yet another word in a native African language. It's a nice touch...except for the fact that 'giraffe' replaced 'camelopard' in the 1600s. :doh: You certainly tried, LLP. You certainly did try.

As a note, giraffes are only native in Africa. If Sara had seen one in India, it would have been in a zoo. Finally, here is a picture of a 'camelopard' drawn by someone working off very vague descriptions of giraffes.

And tigers are too dangerous to see up close. Anyone who tried to ride one would be clawed and eaten. They attack villages sometimes and carry off the native children, you know. It's terrible. One even attacked the outpost my Papa was stationed at, and he had to shoot it to defend the citizens.
How exciting!
He is very brave.
(I miss him so! I hope he does not do anything too brave while I am not there to look after him.)

I get the feeling Jessie and Sara are several pages away from each other in this conversation.

No, there were many other people on the ship with us. It was strange, and not so comfortable as this room, but it did not feel dangerous. It would have been much harder if my Papa were not with me. When young boys are sent back to England, they are sometimes made to travel with the regiments, and no family at all.
A pleasant companion makes a great deal of difference. You should always have one.
Jessie pressed her hands together in her lap, the motion giving a shy lift to her shoulders.
I would very much like to travel the world when I am older... but I don't know if I will ever have the chance. Do you think you will travel, Sara?
Well, I do want to return to India as soon as I am old enough. And I think I should like to visit France, someday. I haven’t thought of it beyond that.
It is a very big world. I suppose it would be a shame to live one's entire life in only a small part of it.

Some people feel that London is the centre of the world, and that once you're here, there is nowhere better in all the world for you to go. Why would you want more than perfection?
I... I'm sure London is very nice, but...
The cup trembled in Jessie's hands.
Oh! I’m sorry, I've spilled a bit of tea. How silly of me.
Please... tell me more stories about India?
All right.

:ohdear: Jessie's...probably fine. Let's not worry about it too much.

We will be welcoming a special dance instructor today who is visiting us from France. She will be leading you in exercises to increase your grace and posture. Go and change into your Léotard-style dancing costumes.
She swept off to her office, and the girls clustered eagerly together.
A special dance instructor! Do you suppose she might be from the Ballet de l'Opéra de Paris?
The... ballet of opperee?
The Paris Opera Ballet, of course. The absolute birthplace of Romantic ballet, and they go all the way back to the Court of the Sun King!
Oh.
... I am not so fond of ballet as you are.

Despite Jessie's hopes, the instructor is probably not from the Ballet de l'Opéra. While ballets were admired as beautiful, the women who performed them were very much looked down upon and assumed to be prostitutes. This is, unfortunately, because many of them were. Rich male subscribers to were allowed backstage to oogle at and proposition the dancers. These men were very influential, and a dancer who displeased a patron may find herself suddenly unable to get roles. Cozying up to these creeps was often the only way to guarantee a secure income. Contemporary art of ballet dancers, such as that by Degas and Béraud, often shows these men.

All that to say; a professional dancer would probably never be invited to teach young ladies her craft, especially not at a reputable institution. Of course, LLP is not especially historically accurate, nor does it really need to be, so the instructor may well be a ballet dancer in-fiction. I poke fun at the game often, but its anachronisms are harmless, and the story doesn't suffer from it. Trying to make all the material the game added 100% historically accurate would have just bogged the thing down and made it less accessible to people who, unlike us nerds, don't really give a poo poo.

I wonder if there really is a sickness that could make you like one thing or one person more than another. And if there were, would anyone wish to be cured?
... Such things you imagine!
In any event, it might not be ballet. She is a special instructor, after all. Perhaps we will be permitted to practice social dances — perhaps even the waltz.
My father says the waltz is 'shocking'.
Watching you attempt to perform it no doubt would be!

... :sigh: Ah well. We can't expect her to change in a day, I suppose.

When the waltz first debuted it certainly was considered shocking. Before, partner dances had been complex, difficult to learn, and kept the dancers at arms' length. Waltz, meanwhile, pressed the couple right up against one another so that their faces touched, and its choreography generally consisted of simply twirling around the room in time with the music. Young people loved it, while the older generation hated it and considered it immodest. The dance was often called "the wicked waltz" by those scandalized with its intimacy. By the late 19th century, however, the waltz was more accepted, and had been adopted by much of European royalty. We can just assume that Ermengarde's dad is an old fuddy-duddy, though.

Oh.
Perhaps — perhaps we had better go and get our costumes?
Ermengarde is very sensible.
It took only as little praise as that to make poor Miss St. John look pleased.

It is preparation for dancing. We are learning to stretch and relax our bodies, so that we may move more beautifully.
It's French!
Sara? Is this the way things are usually done in France?
I have never asked Mariette whether she took dancing lessons.
I want to walk on my hands!
Leave your hands on the floor long enough and Ermengarde will trod on them for you.
Ah! Jessie, be careful! You are tickling me.
The — the instructor said it was imperative that we rub deeply, to warm our muscles.

Right Jessie, if you say so. :3:

Your hands are very strong, Ermengarde.
Oh — did I hurt you?
No, not a bit. It feels nice. It is a little like having my hair brushed.
It makes me feel like a cat, being petted.
I want to be a cat! I want to dance like a cat!
Cats don't dance.
They dance — at the court of the King of Cats.
How do they dance, Sara? Do they stand on their hind legs?
Well —
Girls! Cease chattering and get ready for your lessons!
Yes, Miss Minchin!

Well, that was adorable. And finally fills up another spot in the gallery!

The leotards the girls are wearing are, as you might have guessed, extremely anachronistic. While the man who the garment is named for, Jules Léotard, died in 1870, the leotard was exclusively mens' wear until well into the 20th century, and even then the initial version was more modest than the thoroughly modern pieces worn by the girls above. This is an era where women were still expected to be more or less covered from neck to ankle, this passed as a bathing suit, and stretch fabrics had yet to be invented. If the girls are meant to be learning ballet, this would be more along the lines of what they would wear-- a loose, flowing dress that is positively skimpy by Victorian standards. This 'provocative' dress contributed to the ill reputation dancers received.

Yes, I am only feeling a little tired.
The days have been growing warmer, but the air never feels the same way that it did in India.
I suppose Ermengarde is right, and it is the smell of London. Even if I cannot distinguish one scent above the others that would mean 'London', it must always be there.
As I am.
Bon courage, mademoiselle. I have something here which will brighten your day.
A letter from Papa! Oh, merci, Mariette, merci beaucoup!
She did not open it at once, but pressed the envelope to her chest.

(If a letter can come from his hands into mine, then we are never so far apart.)
At last, she took out the paper and began to read.

Papa's Letter posted:

My dear Little Missus,

Here I am, once again, in Bombay. I have little to tell you of my adventures, for no sooner did I reach my home than I began thinking of you and putting pen to paper. Therefore, I have seen little since I left you other than ships, and you remember those.

Sara closed her eyes and let herself remember the voyage from India, the big ship, the Lascars passing silently to and fro on it, the children playing about on the hot deck. There had been women on board, the wives of some young officers, who had invited Sara to take tea with them and delighted in making her speak her unusual thoughts. But most importantly, there had been her Papa.

Papa's Letter, Cont posted:

I felt it important to write to you at once so that you would not worry about your poor old papa, all alone on the ocean. All is well; I am returned, and life here is remarkably unchanged in my absence.

Now, it is your duty to let me know all that has happened since I left you, all the new friends you have made, the books you have read, and the sights you have seen in London. Do you remember Colonel Grange, and his little girl Isobel? In a year she will be old enough that she must leave for England as well. I am relying on your advice to tell her what to expect in her schooling.

Give my regards to Emily and any companions she may have acquired.
Yours always, your loving Papa.

(I love you too, Papa.)

:unsmith:

Exciting news: I have remembered that I know how to manually edit images. Thus, I have taken our accurate stats and pasted them over our weekend choices screen. No longer will I have to type out how far we are from each character's requirements! It's a good day.

The thread feels a little aimless at present, so let me explain how the route mechanics work. Each girl has 16 scenes that need to be played in order to finish her route, with the exception of our mystery sixth character, who has slightly less in order to balance her late arrival. LLP has 36 weeks split into two acts. I won't say exactly when the act break is, but it is past, not at, the halfway mark. The first act is intended for you to have the chance to explore and mess around, and in addition to being longer, there's also less scenes to get through-- each girl has 7 scenes in act one and 9 scenes in act 2, again with the exception of #6, who has 5 and 9. We're still wide open as far as options go, and still have time to explore-- but I wanted to give an idea of the time scale we're working with.

Here's the activity information, moved from below the OP to a test post on the suggestion of The Flying Twybil on LPBeach. I hope you enjoyed the update-- see you next time!

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Re-reading your OP, I'm curious if you'd have some recommendation for queer games or chill games or chill queer games?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Write in diary, write, in diary, write in diary and ship off a, slightly revised, copy to India. :v:
Ermengarde, because I still haven't given up.

Ballet, huh. Weird coincidence since Flowers 3 (le volume sur automne) was recently released and while it was barely mentioned in the third game ballet has featured a lot in that anime boarding school series.

Jessie tea party was very :3:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Poil posted:

Write in diary, write, in diary, write in diary and ship off a, slightly revised, copy to India. :v:

+1.

quote:

Jessie tea party was very :3:

Honestly so far Ermengarde and Jessie are the two routes I'm most interested in continuing to see to the end.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Poil posted:

+1

Senerio posted:

Honestly so far Ermengarde and Jessie are the two routes I'm most interested in continuing to see to the end.

:same:

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

StrangeAeon posted:

Re-reading your OP, I'm curious if you'd have some recommendation for queer games or chill games or chill queer games?

Sure! As mentioned in the OP, there's Long Live the Queen. Most things by Hanako Games are going to be a safe bet on the queer front, and visual novels in general are usually pretty chill.

Coffee Talk is an extremely chill game that I've been playing lately. I don't know if it's LGBT-- I haven't finished yet, and most of the characters seem to be in heterosexual relationships so far, but it has a vibe that makes me hopeful. In the same drink-serving vein, VA-11 HALL-A is an excellent game that is about 80% anime lesbians, and that I'm heavily considering LPing once this game is finished.

Most of the "chill" games in my library are puzzle games, honestly. Some queer titles that aren't as chill that I like are Black Closet (another Hanako Games title), We Know the Devil, and Ladykiller in a Bind (NSFW).

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

yamiaainferno posted:

VA-11 HALL-A is an excellent game that is about 80% anime lesbians, and that I'm heavily considering LPing once this game is finished.

Oh, that would be neat! I've heard quite a few good things about that game, but the only LP of it on SA that I'm aware of was rather... unenthused about it. As in, the LP's entire shtick seemed to be "Look how stupid and ridiculous this game is, anime was a mistake". The game probably deserves a more positive LP.

Mariette again. Has to work at some point :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Carpator Diei posted:

Oh, that would be neat! I've heard quite a few good things about that game, but the only LP of it on SA that I'm aware of was rather... unenthused about it. As in, the LP's entire shtick seemed to be "Look how stupid and ridiculous this game is, anime was a mistake". The game probably deserves a more positive LP.

Eh, a lot of the writing is very clumsy, and while one character in particular is super uncomfortable.

Loving the history stuff, all this poo poo is fascinating!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Eh, a lot of the writing is very clumsy, and while one character in particular is super uncomfortable.

Loving the history stuff, all this poo poo is fascinating!

I don't remember the writing being too bad, though I think it did have some translation issues. And yeah, there are some anime archetypes that really do need to just die in a fire. It's not a game without its issues, by any means, and if I do an LP on it I'll be sure to acknowledge them. From what I remember though, I really enjoyed it overall.

Also, thank you! I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying Yams' History Corners. :v:

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Oh, Jessie's great! Definitely my favourite so far. Lottie is exhausting, Ermengarde is just kind of sad and pathetic, and Lavinia is exaggeratedly awful and has to say something mean in every single scene she's in to make sure that we understand that she's supposed to be the mean one.

Keep hanging out with Jessie!

Also VA-11 HALL-A is very cool and atmospheric, but I do remember the drinks mixing mechanic becoming kind of a chore towards the end of the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

whenever I see somebody claim VAetc. is good, I remember the one ending where Jill wistfully reminisces about having a fight with her dead ex, and hiding all the dildos in the house as punishment, and her ex retaliates by masturbating with a cucumber and eating it in a salad

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
It's likely a lost cause, but Mariette still gets my vote for the moment.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Mariette is my vote as well. I think she deserves more love.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I'm voting for Mariette too. I want more backstory on her.

In regards to ballerinas, thank you for the history segment. I had always wondered why there were dudes in those paintings, when the focus seemed to be on the dancers.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Hello everyone and welcome back to LLP! This update is a little shorter than the past few, just a fair warning.

The weekend vote was once again close-- I thought that we'd have a three way tie for a bit, but Jessie won out in the end.

Does she have you recite a party piece, or dance, or pose? Are there men present?
Not commonly, and only if their wives are in attendance. I do not think so many men would care for tea with a schoolmistress. I have never been asked to dance or recite. Sometimes she asks me about my lessons, and if I like the classes and the other pupils, which I always say that I do.
Sometimes they ask me about books that I have read, which I don't mind, and then Miss Minchin says how clever I am, which makes me uncomfortable.

I love Sara's annoyed little pout, probably because she's been almost always smiling. Unfortunately, the icon makes it look more sad than angry-- Sara has teeny tiny thin little eyebrows that are just impossible to see against her hair at this scale. :shrug:

They are not usually Frenchwomen themselves, but they see the language as a 'charming accomplishment.'
All of a sudden, Jessie's tone sharpened.
Do they actually converse with you, as a person, or only as Miss Minchin's pretty toy? Do they ever call on you instead of Miss Minchin? Do you ever see them again?
Sara blinked rapidly.

Doesn't it make you angry, being used like a trinket for Miss Minchin to display?
There does not seem any reason for me to be angry. Having tea with visitors is not such a difficult thing. It is like a kind of performance, with attention instead of applause.
A performance...
I never thought that tea and books and French could be like being on the stage.

Oui, oui, merci, madame. Please, pour again.
Not quite like that.
Jessie straightened, patting her skirts down to ensure that every ruffle was in place.
Will you speak French to me, Sara?
I — I hardly know what to say, when you ask it like that.
Say something pleasant. Say that it is a beautiful day, or that your breakfast was delicious, or that I am clever and charming.
Vous étes une jeune fille charmante, mais je ne vous comprends pas toujours.
:words: You are a charming young girl, but I don't always understand you.

The language sounds much lovelier from your lips than from those of Monsieur Dufarge.
It always sounds beautiful to me.
It reminds me of my mother.
Oh. Did you —

Oh! I have to go.
I'll visit you later, all right?
And she hurried off to answer her best friend's summons.

Funnily enough, our next scene is Jessie and Lavinia, so we can pretend that Jessie ran off right to this conversation!

But why —
Shh!
Lavinia took hold of her friend’s shoulders and pushed her back against the wall.

Jessie is gay as gently caress and has an obvious crush on Lavinia, and I really do love it.

'Hist' is, apparently, an interjection used to grab attention. According to Merriam-Webster's notes on it, I think it's actually the same as 'psst', just spelled non-phonetically.

There, she's gone.
Why are we avoiding Sara?
Ever since she got that letter, it's been nothing but India-this and India-that. If I have to hear her say that word again, I am afraid the hair will fly right off my head.
I like her stories. Do you know, her father has faced down a tiger? He shot the one whose skin Sara has in her room. That's why she likes it so. She lies on it and strokes its head, and talks to it as if it were a cat.
That is simply disgusting. If it were a cat, it would be one that he had killed. What next, will she drown Tybalt and then have him stuffed for a pillow?

Speaking of Tybalt, the game has actually shown a picture of him, that I somehow missed getting a screenshot of. It's at the very end of the scene where Lottie is trying to pet him, iirc. Here it is, for you viewing pleasure. He's a cutie. :3:

Sara tells stories. You know that.
Well, I think her father sounds very interesting, and so does India.
It's a filthy, disgusting place, rank with foul humours, and don't you forget it.
Come along now.
All right...
Lavinia led, and Jessie followed.

More and more, it's seeming like this friendship isn't exactly...healthy, and Jessie's crush just makes it more concerning. :smith:

The plump girl sighed, showing none of the delight Sara would have found in such a possession.

'Plump' :airquote:

My father sent it to me, to be 'enriching’.
I don't see how books have made me any richer so far.
May I see it?
She took the volume from Ermengarde's hands and examined the gold lettering on the cover.
Poèmes antiques by Leconte de Lisle — a book of French poetry!
Sara's excitement only deepened the other girl's dismay.
Would — would you like me to read it with you? I’m certain that if —
What's this?

:doh: This will go great, I'm sure.

As long as it isn't one of those shocking new decadent poets. A proper lady should not read such works.
I — I'm sure it’s nothing of the sort.
What would you know about it? I was speaking to Sara.
Actually, the book belongs to Ermengarde.
What? Don't be silly. She can't even read it.

...aaand there she goes. Welcome back to the garbage can, Lavinia. :sigh:

Leconte de Lisle was not a decadent poet, but a Parnassian, who were highly influenced by classical works and sought to create beautiful art for its own sake through exacting technique. Decadents, meanwhile were...well, shocking. That seemed to be the point. The goal of the movement appeared to be to scandalize and rebel against the "natural"-- sort of an "everything is meaningless, let's do a bunch of drugs and have a lot of sex" mentality. But I admit that I have never really been able to understand artistic movements super well when they get conceptual like this, so I'm probably missing a lot of nuance.

It's mine.
She turned and walked away.

I didn't say anything that isn't true. What good is a book of French poetry to someone like her?
Such a waste. She'll probably never even open it. She should have simply given it to you.
Admit it — you know that I am right.
You may be right, but it was a gift from her father. I'm sure she will treasure it.
Not every girl is as devoted to her father as you seem to be, Sara Crewe.

Well, that sure was an update. Here is the reference material for the activities, and our weekend options are below. I hope you enjoyed reading, even if it was short. See you next time!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Lavvie you make it very hard for me to convince people to vote for you.

Let's talk to Mariette.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Read, Write, Read for activities and Mariette for event. Eventually, we will spend time with our maid!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mycelia posted:

Lavvie you make it very hard for me to convince people to vote for you.

With my evolving regard towards Lav, I feel that she should require more Patience than Ermengarde.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Read, Walk, and Walk

It's been a while since we've seen Mariette.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Ah, I almost forgot. I would like to put in a vote for Mariette!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I'm going to go against the grain and vote Lavinia. She's just so comically mean! I hope she's never redeemed.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Enchanted Hat posted:

I'm going to go against the grain and vote Lavinia. She's just so comically mean! I hope she's never redeemed.
Seconding this. I mean, we're going through all the routes eventually.

EDIT: I very much enjoy that she's internalized that manners are so very important but hasn't actually connected that to, well, courtesy. This isn't to say Victorian high society was especially compassionate, as far as I understand it, but she's so wrapped up in the ideal of the perfect English rose while also just shoving her thorns at everyone and everything. Emotional repression? Say it ain't so!

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 22, 2020

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Read, read and read because our knowledge is frankly abysmal. Try and check the library for some sparkling and angsty teen novels.

Mareitte because we could use the time with an adult for a change.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Hello everyone, and welcome back to LLP. Another short update this time-- only ~70 screenshots to the average update's ~110-- I hope you guys don't mind. To make up for two short updates in a row, there's a bonus extended history corner at the end. :ssh:

I admit that I did re-roll our stats this time, just because we managed to only gain 3 knowledge despite the focus on reading, and I knew that would be frustrating. Additionally, in exciting news, Marriette has finally won a vote, after four consecutive weeks of second place. << C'est un miracle! >>

Bien sûr, mademoiselle. What do you wish to know?
What is your family name? Miss Minchin did not say.
Dumas, mademoiselle.
Oh! Are you a relative of the great French writer, the author of The Three Musketeers?
Mariette chuckled kindly.
Non, mademoiselle. Ah — well, not in a close way, I am not. There are many with the name of Dumas, and I cannot know what connections there are between all people. Do you know all of your cousins, and your cousins' cousins, and all who bear the name of Crewe?
I don't know anyone else named Crewe except for myself and my Papa.
So, you see. I cannot say who my relatives might be at some distance.
Sara nodded.

Alexandre Dumas, author of The Three Musketeers, is actually quite the interesting character. Notably, he was a person of mixed race, and had a lot of affairs.

I grew up in Limoges. You may have heard of the Limoges Box, the porcelain?
Sara shook her head.
Ah, well. They were famous once. Perhaps they will be again. For now, like much of Limoges, they have faded.

Limoges is a city in France famous for its porcelain factories, as the surrounding area is rich in the required clays. The secret of hard-paste or "true" porcelain was finally cracked by the West in the 18th century, breaking the Chinese monopoly on the stuff and causing an explosion of European manufacturers. Limoges boxes are small trinket boxes made of this Limogesian porcelain, then hand-painted, fired, and hand-fitted with hinges made for that box. As you might imagine, they're incredibly expensive. Genuine Limoges boxes don't seem to go for less than $100, and can be over $600 at the other end. They were very popular as snuff boxes for a time, but they did decline during the Victorian era before making a comeback in the 20th century as pill boxes.

Ah... what is it like anywhere? It is a city. Not so large as Paris or London, no.
Is it near Paris?
Non, pas très proche. It is in the south. You must rely on the railways to travel between them. All trains lead to Paris.
:words: No, not very close.

She had seen paintings of France: stone houses, arches, and bridges, rolling green hills, hanging vines. And sunlight, always sunlight, not the fogs of London!
It must be lovely.
As you say, mademoiselle.

What I mean to say is — my Papa and I did not have time to visit France, and I did not meet you until you came here. Did you meet my Papa somewhere else?
Non. We have never met in flesh and blood. Your papa, he is a gentleman and knows many other gentlemen in fine cities, like Paris. When it happened that he wished to appoint a maid, he wrote to this Paris gentleman to describe you. And I, I have a cousin who works for this Paris gentleman, and he thought of me, and so the arrangements were made.
And I am glad that they were.

It was true that Mariette was, for the most part, only another stranger, like any other in Miss Minchin's seminary. They were only just beginning to know each other. And yet, Mariette was not simply a stranger who might come and go, like the students. She was Sara's maid, the beginnings of her very own household. She might, in time, be the closest thing to family.
(I wonder about the friend my Papa has in Paris... I wonder if he ever knew my mother.)

Weirdly, we once again start the week with scene that just so happens to largely involve the character we spent the weekend with. There's a lot of Mariette fans in the thread, though, so I doubt we'll get complaints.

It's quite all right.
Are you reading?
Wait. That book — I’ve seen it before.
It was the same familiar copy of Poèmes antiques.

DUN DUN DUN

She thought I might appreciate a volume de poésie française, to feel more at home.
Oh! I’m sorry — I didn't think of it.
Would you like me to buy you more books in French? I don't mind.
Non, mademoiselle. I am content.

Ermengarde is very nice.
(I did not even consider Mariette! I wanted that book for myself, but Ermengarde has seen the person who would benefit from it most.)

I'm glad Ermengarde didn't just stick the book somewhere and let it collect dust. Even if she had given it to Sara, that probably would have been its eventual fate, once she had read it. But Mariette likely doesn't have much of her own, and I think she'll make more frequent use of it.

Sara-mamma?
What is it, Lottie? Have you come for tea? Mariette has promised us a special treat: apricot sandwiches!
Oh, yes!
... No.
Sara-mamma, you like school, don't you?
I don't know.

(After all, whether I like it or not, I am here now.)
I don't think I could say that I don’t like it. Everyone is kind to me, and my rooms are pleasant —
No! I meant school. With books and numbers and remembering things.
Oh. Yes, I like books very much.

I don't like it when she says my name like that, 'Miss Leigh'! I don’t like it.
But you make everything interesting.
Of course I’ll help you with your schoolwork — but you still have to learn it.
All right.

:unsmith: all around this update, I suppose. It's nice to see a more mature side of Lottie, for once. Maybe Sara's making a difference in her behavior.

Sorry again for the short update, but I hope the bonus history corner makes up for it. Here's the link to the activity info, and weekend options are below. See you next time!

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Understanding the Lady's Maid

In honor of Mariette finally winning a vote, I thought it would be worth it to go into some detail on what a lady's maid actually is, since it's not a role that exists in modern society. Servants in general aren't especially common, and when one hears "maid" nowadays they think of someone whose primary responsibility is cleaning. In the Victorian era, however, there were a variety of maids who did a variety of duties, with each position having its own rank within the household. In a small household with few servants, these roles all blurred together. We'll be assuming a large, rich household that includes many servants, however, as that is what Sara would be accustomed to.

Status
A lady's maid was one of the highest-ranking servants, answering only to the lady or ladies of the house. She would be addressed as "Miss" by the lower servants and often be waited on by them when she and the other upper servants dined (always at separate times than the employing family, and in a servant's room, not the dining room). A lady's maid could also often expect to be given the cast-offs of her mistress' wardrobe, allowing her to dress finely, though any especially extravagant garment would not have been given in this manner. Mariette probably has some years before Sara's clothes will fit her, though.

Duties
A lady's maid primary concern was to tend to her mistress' appearance. She would select and prepare the lady's clothes, help her dress, do her hair, and apply whatever illicit cosmetics she may own. Keep in mind that a Victorian lady would wear three or four sets of clothes in a day-- a dress for the house, a dress if she were to go out, evening dress for dinner, and then her night dress. Once her lady went down for breakfast, the maid was to select and prepare going out clothes just in case her mistress required them, and then tidy the room. Proper cleaning was the duty of housemaids, but a lady's maid was expected to keep her mistress' chambers in order. It was also the lady's maid's duty to mend her mistress' clothes, brush her dresses, and wash her undergarments (dresses and such were never truly washed, as water would often destroy the finer fabrics, whereas the cotton underwear that actually came into contact with the skin was washed daily).

The lady's maid was also, of course, to be at her mistress' beck and call at all times. She would run any errands required and accompany her lady when she went out.

Expectations
A lady's maid, as she was generally accompanying her mistress, was expected to be well-dressed at all times. The general outfit was a simple black dress with a waist-apron and a white cap. An apron with straps like Mariette's would be considered inappropriate-- its functionality suggests that she cooks or does more menial work, whereas the decorative waist-apron simply denotes a lady's maid as a servant.

Other than a knowledge of hairdressing, sewing, dressmaking, and the tending of garments, a lady's maid's primary qualifications were loyalty and discretion. "The loyal servant" is, in general, a ubiquitous archetype in Victorian literature, which is largely written by rich people who seem to imagine that their staff are fawning and exceedingly grateful for being shown basic courtesy. Still, a lady's maid's constant proximity meant that she could be privvy to secrets, and it was important that she be trusted.

yamiaainferno fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 24, 2020

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
A position that requires a person to be trustworthy and utterly loyal to the entire household. Lets make sure we pay them in scrap that falls off our table and have them work essentially around the clock since you never know when you might need them! Yep, our secrets and children will be forever safe.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Koboje posted:

A position that requires a person to be trustworthy and utterly loyal to the entire household. Lets make sure we pay them in scrap that falls off our table and have them work essentially around the clock since you never know when you might need them! Yep, our secrets and children will be forever safe.

How many people have you met in your working life that would happily work ridiculous hours for a job title with the word "senior" in it, a minor pay rise (compared to the wealth at the top), and an order that all the other employees had to be deferential? That's before you throw in that the boss will give you his old rolex when he's done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dance dance revolutionary girl teaparty.

Ermengarde this time!

Reveilled posted:

How many people have you met in your working life that would happily work ridiculous hours for a job title with the word "senior" in it, a minor pay rise (compared to the wealth at the top), and an order that all the other employees had to be deferential? That's before you throw in that the boss will give you his old rolex when he's done with it.
You can't put a price on prestige. :smith: