Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Timby posted:

My Dad took a woman to see Taxi Driver on a first date.
Was she a hooker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, but to my knowledge none of that has ever been very successful.

Counterpoint: Baller-rear end Scopedog model.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Probably.

No lie, in just about every episode I've seen, dude always brings his guitar with him to whatever house he's going to. What is he doing, playing an acoustic version of Walkin' On The Sun to calm cats down?

He keeps his cat tools in the guitar case. I saw him on some other show recently, dude's lost a ton of weight.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

I can't think of anything less useful then a documentary. The Thin Blue Line released a man from jail and he sued the filmmakers.

Movie documentaries are the best. You get to learn cool techniques, as well as how studios can gently caress up your day.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Literally The Worst posted:

Counterpoint: Baller-rear end Scopedog model.

Tech: The serial universality and generic nature of the scopedog and standing tortoise foil the success of any toy line.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Skwirl posted:

I can't think of anything less useful then a documentary. The Thin Blue Line released a man from jail and he sued the filmmakers.

So if a documentary that helps educate people about the criminal justice system and, as you point out, actually helped influence the workings of that system, doesn't count as having use-value -- well then, forget "art", you should probably provide a definition for "utility"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Toebone posted:

He keeps his cat tools in the guitar case. I saw him on some other show recently, dude's lost a ton of weight.
So what's his name now, Jackson Planet?

"By your powers combined..."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Was she a hooker?

Theology student.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
In the sixth grade, I took a girl to see The Sixth Sense and was scared shitless. You could have been the one, Rebecca.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Timby posted:

Theology student.
Same thing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That was the one I was talking about, so I guess never mind.

He keeps reposting the stuff and just adding a number to the end of "theburialground". So try that.

Timby posted:

That's so meta.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So if a documentary that helps educate people about the criminal justice system and, as you point out, actually helped influence the workings of that system, doesn't count as having use-value -- well then, forget "art", you should probably provide a definition for "utility"

That is a very good point, my specifics on use or utility has to do with immediate utility. A picture of a cat is art, a sweater with that same picture isn't art because it would keep someone warm. That same sweater put in a frame and hung up on a wall becomes art again. For the sake of argument this applies equally to a dumb photo of a cat that your aunt emails you, the classic poster for La Chat Noir and a heretofore unknown Rembrandt painting of a cat that rivals whatever your favorite classic painting is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Anonymous Robot posted:

Tech: The serial universality and generic nature of the scopedog and standing tortoise foil the success of any toy line.

Response: Don't give a gently caress. Baller-rear end Scopedog. I want it.

I might end up getting it, too, if I can't find a good Master Grade I want that's in stock on HLJ before next week! I want something big to go with my Build Burning, RG Exia, and action base.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

ART, if you understand you aren't paying attention.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVnRKIpzAU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Art is whatever the gently caress a person says is art and if not having an objective definition thereof gives you a butt rash then you can salve it with an rear end-first toboggan ride down the slopes of cock mountain.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

mr. stefan posted:

Art is whatever the gently caress a person says is art and if not having an objective definition thereof gives you a butt rash then you can salve it with an rear end-first toboggan ride down the slopes of cock mountain.

Well put.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think that people conflate my statement of "not having a use" with "not being important" and that's not my intention.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Death of the poster, your intent doesn't matter

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vargo, the Twitter link in the OP does not work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Black Bones posted:

:commissar: (I could have sworn there was a smiley that was shooting himself in the head, but I couldn't find it)

Edit:

:suicide:

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 3, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I think that people conflate my statement of "not having a use" with "not being important" and that's not my intention.

I don't think anyone here us doing that. The problem lies in the fact you definition cuts off alot of things that are art for the sake of making the definition rather than it making sense.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Black Bones posted:

We're all dead.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I don't think anyone here us doing that. The problem lies in the fact you definition cuts off alot of things that are art for the sake of making the definition rather than it making sense.

I think at least some people have the problem I just described, people who have your problem are actually just disrespecting craft (something I define as doing a job or hobby well). I think it's useful to distinguish between the two, but I don't think one is more important or impressive than the other.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Timby posted:

My parents went to see The Hills Have Eyes on their first date.

I owe at least a little bit of my existence to Wes Craven.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

:commissar: (I could have sworn there was a smiley that was shooting himself in the head, but I couldn't find it)

:suicide: it's literally colon suicide colon

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

:suicide: it's literally colon suicide colon

Thank you, I'm going blind in my old age.
:suicide:

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Skwirl posted:

I'm mentally composing a list of worst date films ever. So far I've got Whose Afraid Virginia Woolf, Closer and Oleanna, would you throw Gone Girl on that list?

I still hold that my favorite date movie is Shame. My date liked it as much as I did even though the ticket booth guy warned us it might not be a good "date movie".

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 3, 2014

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Which one of you made this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka9Bg7oNndA

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Skwirl posted:

I'm mentally composing a list of worst date films ever. So far I've got Whose Afraid Virginia Woolf, Closer and Oleanna, would you throw Gone Girl on that list?
House.

Yes, I'm speaking from experience.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

I almost went with this, no lie.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Man, the episode of Batman TAS that includes a scene in the style of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns rules. Seeing DKR animated really brings out the utter lunacy of it, I wish there was a full treatment like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thems some green screen effects alright.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Anonymous Robot posted:

Man, the episode of Batman TAS that includes a scene in the style of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns rules. Seeing DKR animated really brings out the utter lunacy of it, I wish there was a full treatment like that.

One came out recently, but it's apparently not great.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

CelticPredator posted:

Thems some green screen effects alright.

It reminds me of one of those point & click adventure games from the mid 90's.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fat Lou posted:

I still hold that my favorite date movie is Shame. My sate liked it as much as I did even though the ticket booth guy warned us it might not be a good "date movie".

I saw Shame on a date too, it wasn't our first date and it was a theater that served booze and that date went rather well (Our first date we drank at a bar and then went back to my pace and watched The Odd Couple, which is an excellent date film).

Long Story Short, Shame isn't as bad a date film as you'd think, assuming you understand your date.

• Locked thread