Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Buce posted:

maybe trump'll get another crack at handling a pandemic! fun!

lol what could go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One theory is that the outbreak in cow herds across the nation is due to the widespread practice of feeding chicken poo poo to cattle. It's super cheap and full of protein!!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ariann...sh=541c910b8ed3

So maybe hold off on eating bird poo poo until we get this mess sorted out I guess

chicken poo poo for dinner. seems totally normal.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Sounds like a fancy fad diet. Is that why so many people are raising chickens in their suburban backyards now?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

covidstomper58 posted:

Sounds like a fancy fad diet. Is that why so many people are raising chickens in their suburban backyards now?

Nah, chicken lobby just got good tax incentives through for people who adopt homeless chickens. Program works though, since it got passed there's been far less homeless chickens about.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

flubber nuts posted:

chicken poo poo for dinner. seems totally normal.

Hey everyone says "reduce reuse recycle" but when you try to put it into practice suddenly it's "why are you feeding cows poo poo?"

Seriously though, I actually was taught this in college in an animal nutrition class, cow gut bacteria can break down the urea into protein and farmers are always looking to save on feed bills. Other things we were told to feed cows include expired baked goods and candy, fishmeal, bloodmeal, and feathers. Cows are really just used like big trash compactors.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hypoallergenic cat breed posted:

Hey everyone says "reduce reuse recycle" but when you try to put it into practice suddenly it's "why are you feeding cows poo poo?"

Seriously though, I actually was taught this in college in an animal nutrition class, cow gut bacteria can break down the urea into protein and farmers are always looking to save on feed bills. Other things we were told to feed cows include expired baked goods and candy, fishmeal, bloodmeal, and feathers. Cows are really just used like big trash compactors.

.... and then when the cattle are slaughtered the excess "ruminant protein" is ground into meal and fed back to the chickens. They had to slightly alter the formula and leave out the brain matter and cerebrospinal fluids back during the Mad Cow Disease scare which US farmers were pretty annoyed about

IT'S THE CIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRCLE
CIRCLE OF factory farmed animal cruelty LIIIIIIIIIIFE

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
thank god

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Buce posted:

maybe trump'll get another crack at handling a pandemic! fun!

And back to therapy I go.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Time_pants posted:

And back to therapy I go.

yeah that's a fuckin downer

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

dont forget they leave the wrappers on some of the candy. cows loving love candy wrappers.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

See I had never heard of feeding litter until a couple weeks ago, I assumed at first that there had been some miscommunication or misunderstanding on the part of a reporter and they got confused about bone or blood meal. I guess it must be more common near poultry slaughterhouses, I wouldn't think it'd be nutrient dense enough to be worth transporting long distances.

Bone/blood meal is used because it's an efficient way to increase solid components in the milk (fat and especially protein) since the amino acids are pretty close to those in the solids, so there is less work for the digestive system to do.

This is one of our blended grains, it doesn't have percentages of ingredients but you can see "animal protein products" is down where the mineral/vitamin additives start so I would think it's ~1% or less of the mix. This blend in itself is about half the total grain in the ration, most of the rest is straight corn and canola meal, and the total grain is between about 30 and 35% of the complete ration (as dry matter, much less as actual weight), depending on the particular diet being fed, the majority being corn and grass silage.

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

Uncle Lloyd posted:

See I had never heard of feeding litter until a couple weeks ago, I assumed at first that there had been some miscommunication or misunderstanding on the part of a reporter and they got confused about bone or blood meal. I guess it must be more common near poultry slaughterhouses, I wouldn't think it'd be nutrient dense enough to be worth transporting long distances.

Bone/blood meal is used because it's an efficient way to increase solid components in the milk (fat and especially protein) since the amino acids are pretty close to those in the solids, so there is less work for the digestive system to do.

This is one of our blended grains, it doesn't have percentages of ingredients but you can see "animal protein products" is down where the mineral/vitamin additives start so I would think it's ~1% or less of the mix. This blend in itself is about half the total grain in the ration, most of the rest is straight corn and canola meal, and the total grain is between about 30 and 35% of the complete ration (as dry matter, much less as actual weight), depending on the particular diet being fed, the majority being corn and grass silage.

I used to work for a poultry producer and they definitely sold the litter to feed mills as well as to farmers as fertilizer. It really depends on who is nearby and what sort of integration the meat companies have. The broiler farmers would absolutely not want to pay to have their litter hauled away without some sort of compensation. And to be fair they do cook the hell out of the litter before feeding it to cattle which should help reduce the amount of disease transmission but of course some cut corners, and there's always a farmer or two who will try to bury their dead chickens in the litter rather than having to cremate or dig a hole. I left the industry rather quickly once I saw how little the people in charge actually cared about regulations, I was ridiculously optimistic when I first started but that was quickly and thoroughly squashed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I used to work for a poultry producer and they definitely sold the litter to feed mills as well as to farmers as fertilizer. It really depends on who is nearby and what sort of integration the meat companies have. The broiler farmers would absolutely not want to pay to have their litter hauled away without some sort of compensation. And to be fair they do cook the hell out of the litter before feeding it to cattle which should help reduce the amount of disease transmission but of course some cut corners, and there's always a farmer or two who will try to bury their dead chickens in the litter rather than having to cremate or dig a hole. I left the industry rather quickly once I saw how little the people in charge actually cared about regulations, I was ridiculously optimistic when I first started but that was quickly and thoroughly squashed.

Yeah broiler litter is onsold to cattle farmers in industrial amounts in the US, to the tune of several million tons annually

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

there's a lotta jargon in this thread. gettin reeeeeaaaal jargony in here.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Buce posted:

there's a lotta jargon in this thread. gettin reeeeeaaaal jargony in here.

Expand your mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Expand your mind

No.