Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

The tour of the apartment is anime original and very much appreciated. I don't think we've seen any of the Forger's rooms in the manga. Which may not be a big deal, but it's a nice detail to have.

We've had a look at Anya's room in the manga, but can't think if we've seen Loid or Yor's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
We’ve seen the room they pretend to sleep in together as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out the show is pretty popular in Japan with the first two episodes averaging almost 7 million viewers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Turns out the show is pretty popular in Japan with the first two episodes averaging almost 7 million viewers.

The manga is a Shonen Jump megahit, so that's not particularly surprising, but still nice.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seems like it has a lot of legs as a family comedy in a way most Jump hits don't.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

New episode had me consistently chuckling pretty much every single minute

it's so drat charming

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

E
L
E
G
A
N
T

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Carlosologist posted:

E
L
E
G
A
N
T

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I know it almost certainly was added in the translation of the original manga I read, but Anya saying "My father is a spy... spychiatrist" was so good and I'm a little bummed the subs didn't keep it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

E
L
E
G
A
N
T

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Carlosologist posted:

E
L
E
G
A
N
T

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Arist posted:

I know it almost certainly was added in the translation of the original manga I read, but Anya saying "My father is a spy... spychiatrist" was so good and I'm a little bummed the subs didn't keep it.

It does? And then the interviewer says "that's a difficult word to pronounce" while Loid looks horrified in the background.

Loid and Yor both switching in to angry parent mode is so good. Loid telling himself to calm down without realising he is already starting to punch that guy is great.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Arist posted:

Lethemonster posted:

It does? And then the interviewer says "that's a difficult word to pronounce" while Loid looks horrified in the background.

Loid and Yor both switching in to angry parent mode is so good. Loid telling himself to calm down without realising he is already starting to punch that guy is great.

Crunchyroll's subs modified it a bit, but it's the same joke overall

e: i think i might find the first slightly funnier, but it's good either way

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sorry, I just meant I preferred the original phrasing of that joke. I know they didn't cut it outright.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

lmfao the dipshit interviewer is the eco teacher

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Anya is so aggressively adorable. I want to give her a hug and buy her a giant bag of peanuts.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Fun fact, the obsession with elegance this episode by our presumably Eastern Bloc upper crusts is not inaccurate! At least in Russia even during the Soviet era there's quite the obsession among many Russians about kulturny-ness. Things that seem kulturny, were quite desirable/fashionable. Which makes sense as it basically literally means cultured; as one famous example, Khrushchev really liked his bowler hat and described it as kulturny. A popular culture example would be the various Russian/Soviet characters in Harry Turtledove's World War series who flip out every fancy foreign (or handsome) things as kulturny.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Arist posted:

Sorry, I just meant I preferred the original phrasing of that joke. I know they didn't cut it outright.

No, we're watching different translations and I am confusing you by mistake!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lethemonster posted:

No, we're watching different translations and I am confusing you by mistake!

Gasp! You're...not watching the official Crunchyroll sub!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Arist posted:

Jokes like that are very difficult to voice without making the obvious timing allowances, something you get for free with written word between panels.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
This show is extremely good, I think every joke landed.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hug your kid Loid

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:qq:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Annointed posted:

Hug your kid Loid

Yor can't in case she crushes her ribs.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I loved the joke of the stampede turning out not to be an escalation of the school's insane tests but an actual accident.

Kind of an obvious observation, but most if not all the characters have fairly natural hair colors, with Anya, a literal psychic, having pink hair. Also, to a lesser degree, Yor, a hitwoman, having a greenish tint to her hair, but also one of the women in the second episode sort of has blueish hair, so that may be a stretch.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My cat has blue hair.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of hair: (manga image, not spoilers, promise)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Huh thought those were just really long bangs this whole time.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Carlosologist posted:

E
L
E
G
A
N
T

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The true enemy of the Daleks have arrived.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen a chainsaw sword anywhere.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Raenir Salazar posted:

I suppose the housemaster does look a bit like William Hartnell.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Always nice to see Yor beat the poo poo out of cattle.

My thoughts on this episode:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Agronox posted:

Always nice to see Yor beat the poo poo out of cattle.

And then suddenly realizing she needs to cover up the display of her assassin training.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Electric Phantasm posted:

Huh thought those were just really long bangs this whole time.

I did too but she does have an odd bun shape in the back that makes it obvious.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I gotta say, this was the part of the early manga that really hooked me.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This show owns, I was sold on it the instant the main character put the ring pin of the grenade on Yor’s finger to propose to her. This last episode was perfectly ELEGANT.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Now that I think of it was this the first time we're told the city's name is Berlint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's popped up in a few scene-setting captions and newspapers before, but I believe it's the first time they say it out loud.