Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I'm so glad that this is back :3: Voting Becky, because I'd really like to see more of her scenes. Also, Tea Party, Tea Party, Practice Dance.

yamiaainferno posted:

There's something here about conflating maturity with cynicism that makes me kind of sad, but I can't quite figure out how to word it. While Lavinia is certainly cynical, she's really not that much better than Lottie on the maturity front.
I can't help viewing Lavinia's behaviour as basically the Victorian-upper-class equivalent of being a 4chan edgelord.

e: Update on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I'm gonna vote Jessie

Also, while Lavinia of course has internalized a lot of stuff of Victorian England, I do appreciate that she is trying to give solid advice about how Sara might be treated. I can't find myself hating her.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
Welcome back, sorry (and a bit horrified) about the firework, and Becky.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Carpator Diei posted:

I'm so glad that this is back :3: Voting Becky, because I'd really like to see more of her scenes. Also, Tea Party, Tea Party, Practice Dance

I'll +1 these. And also +1 the welcome back!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Senerio posted:

I'll +1 these. And also +1 the welcome back!

:same:

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Hello everyone, and welcome back to A Little Lily Princess! Thank you for all the well-wishes last update! I really appreciated all of them. :3: That said, I think we're all just going to have to accept that my executive dysfunction will let me work on updates when it drat well pleases, heedless of my wishes for a semi-consistent schedule. Thank you for bearing with me, and hopefully we'll get through this relatively short visual novel sometime before the heat-death of the universe. I intend to finish this thing!

The thread chose to spend time with Becky rather than skip the weekend almost unanimously, so we'll be seeing that this week. Spoiler: I love Becky to absolute bits. Her and Ermen are my favorite girls.

Becky?
Oh, miss!
So startled was she at being addressed that she fumbled the bucket of sooty brushes she carried, nearly dropping them. Sara rushed forward to grab the handle and prevent a spill.

It's all right, I'm being careful.
Please, miss, y'shouldn't. It's not right.
Well. You are the expert, of course. So I will leave things in your hands.
Expert!
Aren’t you? I'm sure you're good at your work.
Never ’eard it put that way, miss.
Mariette says that everyone below-stairs takes advantage of you and asks you to do too many things. They ought to thank you and tell you that you are doing a good job!
Becky looked so baffled at the idea of being thanked for her labours that Sara could not let the matter rest.
Is Miss Minchin very unkind to you?
Shouldn’t say nothin' about the missus, miss.

That's a yes, obviously. Poor Becky.

No one is anywhere about.
Come into my rooms, if you feel safer that way.
Oh, I shouldn’t, miss. It’s m’first job, miss, first job in a real 'ouse, like. It's 'ard work, but at night I’ve got m'own room and m'own bed. Never ’ad that at t'workhouse, miss.
You didn't have a bed?!?
Room's full o' beds, miss, but more full o' girls. Everybody squeezes. It's good, in the winter, innit? Keeps ya warm.
Sara did not lack for imagination, but she simply did not have the frame of reference to picture a workhouse dormitory, with its rows of narrow beds crammed together. The smallest sleeping quarters she had ever seen were those on board the ship which brought Sara and her Papa to England.

I may delve deeper into workhouse conditions in a future bonus update. I touched on it briefly much earlier on in the LP, but there's a lot more that could be said on the subject.

If the missus 'adn’t given me this job, I don’t know what I'd do.
(She is grateful for so little...)
Listen! Are you done with your chores for a while? Would you like to come and have cake again?
Oh, miss, I'd like that, but I... I've got these other rooms still to do, and the curtains, and...
She looked absolutely crestfallen at the idea of abandoning the cake, but still determined not to give up on her duties.
(Such unrewarded diligence! Miss Minchin does not deserve her.)
It's all right. I promise. I will keep the cake and wait for you. You can come by whenever you are finished for the day.
Even... even if it's evening, miss? There’s a whole ’eap, and Cook's sour today...
If you work so late, then you need a treat even more, don't you?
I’ll stop getting in your way now. I don't want to get you in trouble for talking to me. I will see you later, when you can. I promise.
Thankee, miss!

:kimchi: Becky is so adorable. I can't even.

Lavinia strode through the halls, Tybalt clasped to her bosom, crooning little songs to him and paying no attention to any fur that might be shed onto her dress.

Hmm... Lavinia is certainly in a good mood. Why do I find that ominous?

Gossiping about your betters, Ermengarde? You had better be careful. Bad little birds who squawk and squeal get gobbled up Whole.
Lavinia threw her head back and laughed. Tybalt stirred in her grasp, yowling faintly.
Shh, shh, my prince. Yes, you are a good kitty. Shhh.
That's what cats do, you know. They eat the weak.
The sound of her humming marked her passage as she moved out of sight.

I’m sure she wouldn't do that.
You heard what she said. She was laughing at me.
That doesn’t mean that she — no! I won't believe it. She said what she said to taunt you, and that was very unkind of her, but — She isn't a wicked person, not really. It would be wrong to accuse her of something so dreadful.
You are too charitable. Lavinia is horrid.
I know, you're always kind, and I'm glad that you are, but... she doesn’t deserve it.

Personally, I don't believe that Lavinia would have sicced Tybalt on the birds. She can be cruel and spiteful, yes, but I think she likes animals too much to kill a whole nest of baby birds. Besides, while she's clearly not above escalating her punches at Ermen in order to get at us now that we've usurped her as star pupil, I think the birds are too many layers removed.

A princess should always be kind, whether it's to a noble or a peasant or a witch. Sometimes, being kind to a wicked witch is the only way to break her spell. Or to make a friend.
I wish Lavinia would be kinder to others.
So do I.

I think we all wish that, Ermen. Maybe even Lavinia herself wishes it, deep down.

Of course.

A surprise visit from Jessie! How grand.

Is she not in her room?
No.
Then I don't know where she is. Perhaps she went out to have an ice?

"Ices" were fashionable desserts enjoyed by the wealthy in Victorian times, and are more or less equivalent to modern ice cream. They came in three varieties: cream ice (contained custard/cream), water ice, and sorbet (contained booze). Because there were no electric freezers or mixers, ices were extremely labor-intensive to prepare, especially as they tended to be served in elaborate molded shapes and highly decorated.

The "Queen of Ices", Agnes Marshall, wrote two books dedicated solely to ice recipes and patented the first ice cream maker (hand cranked, of course) in 1885, just a few short years before our story.

I feel like — in the past weeks, she's spoken more to Tybalt than to me.
She's obsessed with that cat. She's even taking it into her room to sleep with. I’m supposed to be her best friend, and...
Jessie looked down, hugging her arms around herself.

She looked over at the doll displayed in pride of place.
Emily is a very good listener.
You think Lavinia has troubles she isn’t telling me about?
I don’t know. You know her better than I do.
I would turn myself into a cat if I could, if that would make her happy...

That's uh, not especially healthy, I don't think.

Oh, I'm no princess.
You could be, if you wanted to. Anyone can be a princess, if they’re willing to work hard at it.
That’s only pretend.
I think... I think princesses who live in castles are a kind of pretend, too. Because we pretend that they're different than we are, just because of where they were born.
You are a queer sort of girl sometimes, Sara Crewe. Maybe you're the one who was born different.

That sure is some phrasing! I just want to thank everyone again for bearing with me during the long pauses between updates... I'll keep plugging away at it. Let's leave it there to avoid jinxing anything.

We have a few more options open this week in regards to weekend socializing, so be sure to vote for that and for our classes. Information on voting is here. See you all next time, whenever that may be!

yamiaainferno fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 16, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:toot: An update! A bright spot for this week, for sure.

I'm kinda torn between Mariette, Lottie, and Becky. I'll wait until someone else chimes in. Kinda leaning towards Becky though.

The last time I heard about workhouses was A Christmas Carol.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Mar 16, 2022

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Wait, event expired? Guess we failed that route then.
Also...Act 1? There are more? huh.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Regallion posted:

Wait, event expired? Guess we failed that route then.
Also...Act 1? There are more? huh.

There are two acts, with the second being much shorter than the first. You have to complete all of a girl's scenes in both acts to unlock her ending. Lavinia's scenes in Act 1 lock after Week 17 due to her resentment towards Sara being made star pupil over her-- there aren't really any choices to speak of in the game other than how you spend your time, so that's the only way to 'fail' a route.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Welcome back!

I forget, are the events based on current stats or stats after the week? Let's look at Mariette's scene regardless, and all tea party

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Glad to have this back! Becky is really sweet and I do agree with you on Lavinia. I can't see her going out of her way to sick a cat on some baby birds. She's mean, but I highly doubt she's that malicious.

I say Write in Diary, Tea Party, Tea Party and do Becky's next event.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Glad to have this back! Becky is really sweet and I do agree with you on Lavinia. I can't see her going out of her way to sick a cat on some baby birds. She's mean, but I highly doubt she's that malicious.

I say Write in Diary, Tea Party, Tea Party and do Becky's next event.
+1 to this vote. And to the sentiment that I'm happy you're keeping this going :)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Carpator Diei posted:

+1 to this vote. And to the sentiment that I'm happy you're keeping this going :)

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Senerio posted:

Welcome back!

I forget, are the events based on current stats or stats after the week?

Thank you!

They way I ended up doing it is definitely a bit screwy, and in hindsight it might have been better to have shorter updates with separate votes for activities and weekends. If people think its a good idea I'd be up for switching (shorter updates may help with the delays too, but who loving knows with my ADHD rear end), I just worry that changing things mid-LP would be even more confusing.

The activities occur before the weekend, so while you can spam a bunch of activities to try and see a scene we don't have the stats for (and can vote accordingly, ie "Jessie if we have enough, otherwise Lottie"), there's no point in trying to refill stats that will be spent by the scene you vote for if it's already full.

yamiaainferno fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 17, 2022