Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Leeloo thought that if she was cute enough we'd let her back out. Well bird, you won't stop picking bf's scab so you can lick up the blood, so no.

via Imgflip GIF Maker

via Imgflip GIF Maker

I thought that was a behavior of love, because he thinks the scab isn't supposed to be on your boyfriends feathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Oh it may have started out that way but sure enough the little poo poo sits there and licks it up until we shoo her away. :cry:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Guess who has oranges!?!!

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I love greys, what a chickenburdfacecuteiepatootie omg. :3:

Celebrating pichus 3rd birthday today with some higgins worldy cuisine. oooooom nom nom

^ too stupid to eat real food

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Joe Don Baker posted:

Guess who has oranges!?!!

I love his face! He's all what are you looking at, human

Malalol posted:

I love greys, what a chickenburdfacecuteiepatootie omg. :3:

Celebrating pichus 3rd birthday today with some higgins worldy cuisine. oooooom nom nom

^ too stupid to eat real food

Saw the ones you posted elsewhere as well, the Ozzy ones were cute! Happy Birthday to Pichu. It's Ohtori's birthday (hatch day?) soon too :3:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

My boyfriend wants to know which mouse will be more effective for Guild Wars.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Seeing that picture of the gray eating the orange, it makes me wonder, do some species of birds have a preferene for vegetables over fruit? My tiels lack a sweet tooth I suppose; the only fruit they've ever touched is the strawberry, and even then they only eat the seeds off of them. Put out some broccoli or carrots, though, and they go nuts.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I have had the same experience. My 'tiel and budgie don't really go for fruits, but they love their veggies :3: My conure likes fruit more than veggies, but he will eat carrots and bell peppers too. v:shobon:v

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Grey loves certain veggies like broccoli or carrots. He loves pretty much any fruit, or as he calls them all, "Apple?" It's all about the juice. If you watch him eat them, he really just bites into the flesh licks up all the juice he can, and discards it for another piece.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My too definitely has a sweet tooth. Oatmeal, grapes, bananas, corn, and peas for him. Both the corn and the peas have a natural sweetness that he likes. He doesn't like anything tart though, so strawberries and raspberries are out of the equation. We still occasionally put them in the bowl to give him variety and on the rare times he tries them, he takes a bite and then violently flings them while scrunching up his birdie eyes and acting like we gave him the sourest thing in the world. We're trying to get him to like apples and carrots since they both fit into what it seems he'd like, but it's slow going as always.

fake edit: pip, I like the bell peppers idea. He might actually like those. He actually will eat a bit of jalapeno on occasion. Actually, I should feed him guac sometime, or put guac on something he normally eats.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My GCC won't touch veggies but loves apples and berries.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Joe Don Baker posted:

It's all about the juice. If you watch him eat them, he really just bites into the flesh licks up all the juice he can, and discards it for another piece.

Pookie is exactly the same; babanas are terrible nasty fruit because there is no juice to squeeze out :argh:.

Edit: I baked birdy muffins for Pookie a while ago and have them stashed in the freezer, she eats one every morning for breakfast.

The muffin:

Eating the muffin:

Edit2: looking slightly less gimpy:

Pookah fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 19, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

The only fruit Steve the potatiel will eat is apple. Ohtori eats everything, but I think he might have a preference for fruit, especially if it's apple or grape. Apple is always the first thing to go from his food bowl.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Eejit posted:

My too definitely has a sweet tooth. Oatmeal, grapes, bananas, corn, and peas for him. Both the corn and the peas have a natural sweetness that he likes. He doesn't like anything tart though, so strawberries and raspberries are out of the equation. We still occasionally put them in the bowl to give him variety and on the rare times he tries them, he takes a bite and then violently flings them while scrunching up his birdie eyes and acting like we gave him the sourest thing in the world. We're trying to get him to like apples and carrots since they both fit into what it seems he'd like, but it's slow going as always.

fake edit: pip, I like the bell peppers idea. He might actually like those. He actually will eat a bit of jalapeno on occasion. Actually, I should feed him guac sometime, or put guac on something he normally eats.

Take care with guacamole, avocado can be toxic to birds. I've since heard its more the skin or stuff near the pit, but I'd be careful regardless.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Leeloo thought that if she was cute enough we'd let her back out. Well bird, you won't stop picking bf's scab so you can lick up the blood, so no.

via Imgflip GIF Maker
Oh my god Sunny does this if we don't let him out too, he sort of lies down on his water bowl cover and flails around. :stare:

Tasty_Crayon posted:

My boyfriend wants to know which mouse will be more effective for Guild Wars.
Obviously the one with claws, for better grip. :colbert: (OMG I hope they release a Tengu race soon)

Also here are some cute pictures. :3:

He basically lied like that on my arm for like half an hour, it was so adorable.

Cheeky being a marshmallow

Don't worry, I didn't actually let him drink it.

Snuggle snuggle :3:

Sunny will eat most fruits, but he hates vegetables like a little baby. Cheeky will literally run screaming from a slice of apple. :saddowns: Sunny's favourite is banana though, he will sort of pull off little pieces and eat them noisily. :3:

Also I love greys, when they grow up, whenever they do anything they have a constant :stare: face.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Take care with guacamole, avocado can be toxic to birds. I've since heard its more the skin or stuff near the pit, but I'd be careful regardless.

Holy poo poo yeah I didn't see that before. Definitely don't give him guacamole.

edit: Pookah, can you get me your bird muffin recipe?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Forgot to take a camera, but we just took Ohtori out on his first walk of the year. He yelled at a few people, was startled by pigeons, but spent most of his time gnawing on the harness or hissing at/trying to catch mosquitoes (even succeeding once). We were in a hurry so Steve didn't come, and when we came back, Steve was apparently so pleased he instantly started giving 'Tori heart wings and whistling to him. :3:

Deadly Chlorine posted:

He basically lied like that on my arm for like half an hour, it was so adorable.

Cheeky being a marshmallow

Wanna pet dem burds.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I have no idea why but in the summer time Hannah loves to sit in the bathroom by himself for hours.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Oh haha drat, I somehow had forgotten guac had avocado in it. I would have picked them up, been like "this is for a bird right?" and the slapped myself.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori was apparently so worn out by his evening walk that he was quiet and well behaved (or rather, too relaxed to get up to much mischief) for the rest of the evening, so much so I just put him to bed early and he didn't even bother to protest beyond a few "ih ih" sounds. :3:

Joe Don Baker posted:

I have no idea why but in the summer time Hannah loves to sit in the bathroom by himself for hours.

Does he care what other people do while he's hanging out in there? For example, does he bother to contact call, or protest when he hears people walking away, anything like that?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori was apparently so worn out by his evening walk that he was quiet and well behaved (or rather, too relaxed to get up to much mischief) for the rest of the evening, so much so I just put him to bed early and he didn't even bother to protest beyond a few "ih ih" sounds. :3:

Does he care what other people do while he's hanging out in there? For example, does he bother to contact call, or protest when he hears people walking away, anything like that?

Nope. He's quiet as a mouse. If anyone goes in the bathroom he gets all ruffled up and clearly wants to be left alone.

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002

DarkHorse posted:

Just to repeat this again, under no circumstances should you ever give your bird guacamole or any avocado, as it can cause sudden heart failure in birds.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

shuriken posted:

Just to repeat this again, under no circumstances should you ever give your bird guacamole or any avocado, as it can cause sudden heart failure in birds.

Yeah, and just as a reminder on top of that, onion (in the quantities you'd find in guac) isn't great for them either.

Haha man, my brain was just not working last night.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM31dg--Ktc

I will never understand. Many bowls/plates have been offered, but this remains the preferred method.

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002
This is Basil. My parents got him from our neighbors in in 1990, and he was at the very least 7 years old at that point. We think he's around 31 or 32, and he still flies around, sings at everything, and sleeps on our shoulders. Does anyone else have senior citizen cockatiels?

We got Sooty when he was a baby in 1990, so he's 23 now. He likes to sleep in front of electronics like TVs or speakers since they're warm, and tries to nest in cabinets and drawers when we're not paying attention.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

BIG FLUFFY SLEEPY DERPS.

It's been a week since I lost Chiyo. "well biz you still have all your memories of" no I am so afraid of erasing her existence that I have kept her last poop on my keyboard untouched.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout has learned a new phrase. When we hold her over a safe pooping area we say "Go Poop!"

Now when we hold her over a safe poop spot she says "Go Poop" and then poops!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

mikerock posted:

Scout has learned a new phrase. When we hold her over a safe pooping area we say "Go Poop!"

Now when we hold her over a safe poop spot she says "Go Poop" and then poops!

My favorite phrase for this will forever be 'bombs away' :allears:

I've tried to train my cockatiel but he is totally resistant to it and wants to have nothing to do with it. He just wants to nap.

I will say though he seems to actively enjoy being the only bird in the house now since I lost Blue. He sings alot more often and is just generally better tempered. Could be a coincidence but I don't know, I haven't seen him act like this before.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Joe Don Baker posted:

Holy poo poo yeah I didn't see that before. Definitely don't give him guacamole.

edit: Pookah, can you get me your bird muffin recipe?

Not mine - it's a bag of this:

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/BIRD-BREAD-MIX-HOT-PEPPER/productinfo/BBMHP/

Spicy harrison's bird bread mix with sunshine factor palm oil

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/Sunshine-Factor/products/52/

used as the mixing oil. If I remember correctly you add egg as well.

That bag made I think around 70 little muffins and unlike the normal pellets, Pookie stilll thinks these are unhealthy human treats and therefore delicious.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Joe Don Baker posted:

Nope. He's quiet as a mouse. If anyone goes in the bathroom he gets all ruffled up and clearly wants to be left alone.

Does he even do anything in there, or just sit for hours alone contemplating life and the universe and everything in it?

SaNChEzZ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM31dg--Ktc

I will never understand. Many bowls/plates have been offered, but this remains the preferred method.

Does he like sinks/taps, showers, or being sprayed?

shuriken posted:

This is Basil. My parents got him from our neighbors in in 1990, and he was at the very least 7 years old at that point. We think he's around 31 or 32, and he still flies around, sings at everything, and sleeps on our shoulders. Does anyone else have senior citizen cockatiels?

We got Sooty when he was a baby in 1990, so he's 23 now. He likes to sleep in front of electronics like TVs or speakers since they're warm, and tries to nest in cabinets and drawers when we're not paying attention.

31 and still active, that's amazing. It makes me wonder, if even a little cockatiel can reach that age, then how long could my conure potentially live-especially nowadays with our better understanding of diet, etc.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

He pretends to like taps etc, but when offered he just does the peanut butter mouth thing while dancing. Weird bird..

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Battle Pigeon posted:

Does he even do anything in there, or just sit for hours alone contemplating life and the universe and everything in it?

He'll just sit there quiet contemplating for a while. Eventually he'll start to explore the bathroom, chewing on shower curtains and messing with the sink. He likes to pick stuff up and toss it over the edge. He enjoys it and he's not hurting anyone. There's nothing dangerous for him to get into so that's not a problem.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

He'll just sit there quiet contemplating for a while. Eventually he'll start to explore the bathroom, chewing on shower curtains and messing with the sink. He likes to pick stuff up and toss it over the edge. He enjoys it and he's not hurting anyone. There's nothing dangerous for him to get into so that's not a problem.

Keep the toilet lid closed, coworker had an amazon that got stuck in the toilet and drowned (clipped, though)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SaNChEzZ posted:

Keep the toilet lid closed, coworker had an amazon that got stuck in the toilet and drowned (clipped, though)

Absolutely. When I found out he loves the bathroom I checked everything carefully to make sure he can't drown or ingest anything harmful.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There's a reupholstery place around the corner from me and the owner has an African Grey that just sits on top of his cage all day watching the pedestrian go by. I've been walking by him for almost three years and I've only seen him moving once when he was on the stoop with his owner saying hi to everyone. Is it a normal thing for greys just like to potato out and watch people or sit in the bathroom or whatever?

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

shuriken posted:

Those two are so adorable! Basil looks a lot like my cockatiel Aiden - he made it to 24 years old, and outlived every other bird I owned. He was a grouch, so I think he stayed alive out of sheer indignation. Glad to hear they're both so healthy and happy in their later years. :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ritz has been in a chewy mood lately (springtime nesting, who knows), on Saturday, he destroyed an entire chewy wood toy thing while we were out for about 4.5 hours. Granted, it was a small toy. So last night I put an african grey sized birdy kabob in there, it' was a good 12-15" long.

He's was alone for 4 hours while my girlfriend was at work, and this happened.

So destructive! But I'm glad it's not my fingers, he's actually getting much better about biting lately. He even snuggled with my face for a good 20 minutes last night without biting at all. He's also more readily accepting scritches, perhaps he's realizing that yes they do in fact feel good.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Speaking of planted birds... Kima's toys of choice are shreddables. She loves the poo poo out of them. I only know this by the fact that the moment I give her 5 minutes to herself, toys just disappear. I've never actually caught her shredding anything.

I figured a good remedy to this would be to purchase a giant gently caress you shredding pouch.

I put it on the bottom of the derps' cage and came back to find this:

And there she has sat, utterly motionless... for three hours.

I think Kima believes she has found god.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

There's a reupholstery place around the corner from me and the owner has an African Grey that just sits on top of his cage all day watching the pedestrian go by. I've been walking by him for almost three years and I've only seen him moving once when he was on the stoop with his owner saying hi to everyone. Is it a normal thing for greys just like to potato out and watch people or sit in the bathroom or whatever?

I can't speak for all Greys. He definitely has times where he will just sit there on one foot and chill for hours at a time. He seems to have set times for singing though. Usually around 8pm he'll put on a show for an hour. Then he has to sit with me and get scratches for another hour or so. Then it's bed time. I really need to setup a camera on him for when I'm at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002

Chili posted:

I think Kima believes she has found god.

She is planning. You will come back to a pile of scraps.