Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

uglynoodles posted:

The Wayward Potatoes of May.

Thank you. Thank you so much. I'm having anxiety attacks just looking at my computer - Chiyo' s favorite thing was to sit at the keyboard and be angry about things - so I can't upload anything new, but my post history for this thread has her pictures.

I'm commissioning a tattoo design. She didn't like it when I self-harmed. I want a reminder that I have other birds and people that I love and who still need me. I'll share when it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

electricgoat your story is just as heartbreaking as the people who lost their birds! Poor bird is being treated so poorly by an owner who just wants to spite you. I would get out of that living situation and try to bring the bird with me.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Official Bizness posted:

Thank you. Thank you so much. I'm having anxiety attacks just looking at my computer - Chiyo' s favorite thing was to sit at the keyboard and be angry about things - so I can't upload anything new, but my post history for this thread has her pictures.

I'm commissioning a tattoo design. She didn't like it when I self-harmed. I want a reminder that I have other birds and people that I love and who still need me. I'll share when it's done.

I worked in a tattoo parlour for a good while doing piercings and custom tattoo designs.
You want one, let me know.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
electricgoat you are not responsible for the actions of another person, and there's not much you can do to convince a shithead not to be a shithead. It's heartbreaking and agonizing, but beating yourself up over something out of your control isn't going to accomplish anything.

With luck you can find a new place (and then steal the bird and feed it your leftovers and show lots of pictures :ninja:)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

uglynoodles posted:

I worked in a tattoo parlour for a good while doing piercings and custom tattoo designs.
You want one, let me know.

Speaking of that, I had forgotten we talked! Haven't seen you on aim in forever :(

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I found (a thread that found) something bird related.

It's a little odd but I got a kick out of it.

http://unbadger.tumblr.com/tagged/burdal

This little guy might be hitting a bit too close to home but he's still cute :3:

It's all portal characters as birds if the joke evades you. The budgie is wheatley.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 14, 2013

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010
I finally got my finches! :swoon:

The brown is Ruby, the white is Tom. I initially thought Ruby was a girl, thus the name, until he started singing earlier this morning!

Ruby's also, as you can tell, missing pretty much all of his tail feathers. Tom is missing a few in the middle, too. I'm assuming this is because I wound up getting them at Petsmart (not my first choice at all) and they keep 4-6 society finches in depressingly tiny cages, so someone else probably got stressed out and started plucking.

I've read about FeatherFast and about giving them egg and granulated kelp to encourage feather growth, but is there anything else I should know? This is my first experience with birds of any kind and I want to do right by them.

Other than the tail thing they both seem to be adjusting pretty well to their cage. I'm hoping I've laid it out well enough so they have plenty of room to fly:

They seem happy. Right now they're both bouncing around the cage and chirping like the derpy morons they are. Ruby does this thing where he hops onto the side of the cage with the vertical bars and slowly slides down. I'm madly in love.

Edit: Oh man, just read the last few pages. I'm so sorry for you guys' losses. :(

Corgi fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 15, 2013

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
If you can get some real tree branches or purchase some small java branches it will help the finches feet immensely. Those dowel rods will gently caress up their little toes over time. The finches I care for had the saddest, misshapen feet that have since improved greatly after I tossed the dowels. Don't worry if they sit on the cage floor for a few hours out of fear, they'll stop being scared of the new thing and want food in good time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

As I mentioned what feels like years ago, one of my coffeeshop regulars just came back from South America. He took a couple toucan pictures for me, I thought you guys and Mindo's owner especially might like them.

This little fella, too. :3:

Toco's always look inquisitive to me for some reason. Pretty pictures!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's a duck

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Corgi posted:

Tail feathers

Don't worry about the feather growth stuff too much either. Feathers fall out and grow back, it's the way of things. A bird being without tail feathers is not really unusual. The avian vet we used to see in Chicago said he once had to pull almost every feather in a macaw's tail after it had broken most of them in a fall. And since most tail feathers are blood feathers, welp. He said the bird got fine with really very little special treatment. Also not sure how much you can speed up feather growth, I think they grow at a pretty fixed rate like hair.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Corgi posted:

Ruby's also, as you can tell, missing pretty much all of his tail feathers. Tom is missing a few in the middle, too. I'm assuming this is because I wound up getting them at Petsmart (not my first choice at all) and they keep 4-6 society finches in depressingly tiny cages, so someone else probably got stressed out and started plucking.

Pff, you call that no tail feathers?

THIS is no tail feathers! He spooked himself in the middle of the night and literally released all of his feathers all at once. Think of a lizard that gets caught by his tail. That slightly longer feather draping down isn't a tail feather either, he's entirely butt-feather-less. I didn't give him a special diet and it took...wow, actually it took a long time now that I'm thinking about it for all of his feathers to grow back. A few months? Probably about three or four. They all popped out then all grew in at the same time. The most hilarious part was watching him waddle around and lose his balance and flop. Just keep an eye on the little dude and make sure he doesn't fall and break the incoming blood feathers. I was horrified Finn would flop over one day and snap all ten or however many all at once and I'd have to force chicken butt on him again.

EDIT: Wow do his feathers look like poo poo. It's surprising what a little handful of seeds every other day does for plumage

EDIT2.0: Look at this bird I just<3

Amaya fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 15, 2013

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I know it's not cool to play favorites when you have 3 birds but Finn is probably my favorite.

Finn, finn just gets me.

edit; He fist bumps me okay? He gets me

Zomodok fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 15, 2013

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Beaker lost a her tail feathers once. We were watching a friend's budgie for a week, he went home and the next morning boom - no more tail. Didn't seem to cause her any trouble to suddenly lose an inch or so of tail.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
One of the best things about Senegal Parrots is their permanent chicken butt. Between that and their stockiness they look completely ridiculous when they fly. Despite their derpiness my tiels are pretty graceful when they fly but Charlie is like a fat rocket with bad steering.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Ugh. Convince me not to adopt a cockatiel. There's this angry little bastard at my local pet store that I've taken a real fancy too. I'd love to have a companion bird around the house with me, but I don't know the first thing about parrots and their allies. Most of my adult life I've spent with birds of prey, not the prey birds themselves... Last summer I raised my falconer's american kestrel from just pre-fledge till the end of the summer, so I know what attention hogs birds can be. I just know nothing about traditionally kept birds, I don't want to end up being one of those people adopting out my parrot in 5 years because I can't deal with the squawking or something.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Munnin The Crab posted:

Ugh. Convince me not to adopt a cockatiel. There's this angry little bastard at my local pet store that I've taken a real fancy too. I'd love to have a companion bird around the house with me, but I don't know the first thing about parrots and their allies. Most of my adult life I've spent with birds of prey, not the prey birds themselves... Last summer I raised my falconer's american kestrel from just pre-fledge till the end of the summer, so I know what attention hogs birds can be. I just know nothing about traditionally kept birds, I don't want to end up being one of those people adopting out my parrot in 5 years because I can't deal with the squawking or something.

That right there is a pretty good reason not to adopt right now. I would go get some books, read up on it. Tiels are relatively easy to keep, though, and it is not hard to be a responsible owner. It just takes education, but none of us are going to be able to lay it on you in a single post.

So roundaboutly I'm saying yes, you should adopt, but you should be responsible and educate yourself before buying. You'll be able to quickly figure out if it's for you.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Munnin The Crab posted:

It really just comes down to time with tiels. As has been said, they are definitely on the easier side of the spectrum of bird care. I will say though, unless you work from home and will be able to keep the little guy company, you'd be very well served in looking into getting two.

I got my first little guy, Bubbles, and he was a pretty obnoxious little poo poo until Kima came around. Part of that was probably due to him being pissed off at being left alone for long stretches of the day. Now they're both great.

So yeah, are you going to be around? If yes, go for it. If not, my advice would be to consider possibly getting two.

Edit; bottom line the fact that you're even hesitating (and your history with big birds doesn't hurt) means you're pretty much, by definition, responsible enough to go out and get a tiel. If you were looking to get talked out of it, perhaps BIRD CRAZIES was not the thread to go to :derptiel:

Chili fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 15, 2013

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Bird crazies, I know you'll understand me and not judge me! In about twelve days Zomo and I are going to Disney World for 9 days and are leaving the birds behind. We found two people to take care of the birds and (hopefully) spend lots of time with them so they're not alone for close to two weeks. I'm extremely worried about them and feel like a mother leaving her children with a babysitter for the first time. I know I'm going to be stressed and worried while on our vacation and in order to avoid it I made this:

A Marshall feather, Finn feather, and Marceline feather necklace! I'm hoping it will keep me calm enough to enjoy my trip without worry haha.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Amaya posted:

Bird crazies, I know you'll understand me and not judge me! In about twelve days Zomo and I are going to Disney World for 9 days and are leaving the birds behind. We found two people to take care of the birds and (hopefully) spend lots of time with them so they're not alone for close to two weeks. I'm extremely worried about them and feel like a mother leaving her children with a babysitter for the first time. I know I'm going to be stressed and worried while on our vacation and in order to avoid it I made this:

A Marshall feather, Finn feather, and Marceline feather necklace! I'm hoping it will keep me calm enough to enjoy my trip without worry haha.

The birds have each other and if your caretakers are trustworthy, which I assume they are, you have nothing to worry about. They're birds, they'll live. Don't get too e/n about it, it sounds like you've done a good job preparing.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I'v taught my tiel to fly from his cage to me by saying "over" and putting my arm out. I feel like some kind of bird whisperer.

He doesn't fly back to his came when I say home yet though. I have to give him a little toss then he jumps off my arm and flies over to his cage.

It's great, I say Over with my arm out and he seems to get all excited bobbing his head up and down while switching between looking at me and where he is going. He climbs down to the point where he can take off to fly over to me and does this little butt shack dance first then takes off.

The only issue now is he keeps flying to people even when they don't say Over. It seems to happen any time you are in view and your arm is stretch out. I guess he reacts to the gesture and not the command word. I have been reaching into the fridge and had him fly over and land on my arm.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Amaya, the birds are going to be mad that there's a sitter because it foils their plan to break out and do things like eat everything in the kitchen, poop in every room, and chew on all the good stuff

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 15, 2013

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Clinton1011 posted:

I'v taught my tiel to fly from his cage to me by saying "over" and putting my arm out. I feel like some kind of bird whisperer.

He doesn't fly back to his came when I say home yet though. I have to give him a little toss then he jumps off my arm and flies over to his cage.

It's great, I say Over with my arm out and he seems to get all excited bobbing his head up and down while switching between looking at me and where he is going. He climbs down to the point where he can take off to fly over to me and does this little butt shack dance first then takes off.

The only issue now is he keeps flying to people even when they don't say Over. It seems to happen any time you are in view and your arm is stretch out. I guess he reacts to the gesture and not the command word. I have been reaching into the fridge and had him fly over and land on my arm.

You sound just like me the first time Fran the kestrel flew to my glove. It took ages (and a few scars) to get her to figure out that heads are not an acceptable landing area :3:

Edit: fuuuuck, I want a bird. Time to start reading up.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Eejit posted:

The birds have each other and if your caretakers are trustworthy, which I assume they are, you have nothing to worry about. They're birds, they'll live. Don't get too e/n about it, it sounds like you've done a good job preparing.

BUT. BUT. MY...M-MY BABIESSSSS :qq: :qq:

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Amaya, the birds are going to be mad that there's a sitter because it foils their plan to break out and do things like eat everything in the kitchen, poop in every room, and chew on all the good stuff

One of the friend's watching them I'm sure will take them out and they will get ample opportunity to poop on everything they want. I'm also sure she'll be a sucker for giving them treats... Though it is amusing how quickly Finn can run from one end of the cage to the other when 'papaya' is mentioned.

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!

Amaya posted:

BUT. BUT. MY...M-MY BABIESSSSS :qq: :qq:

I know, right? If my wife and I are away from the house for more than 48 hours I feel... I wouldn't say anxious, but a tiny bit not happy with the idea of Bird quietly warking away in an empty apartment, even if we have someone to poke their head in and change water/food and so on. Usually within 24 hours I'm looking up videos of conures on youtube.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Munnin The Crab posted:

You sound just like me the first time Fran the kestrel flew to my glove. It took ages (and a few scars) to get her to figure out that heads are not an acceptable landing area :3:

Edit: fuuuuck, I want a bird. Time to start reading up.

Haha, we had a barn owl at the rehab center that had been raised as a pet. She would automatically fly to your shoulder and scream in your ear, til she was broken of it.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I went twenty-four hours without seeing my birds once. I was a mess, but they all gave zero shits since their sitter was sneaking them millet three times a day. Birds.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm going away for three weeks in... three weeks, so no birds, but at least I'll gain a dog for that time to make up for it. I've been away from the birds for weeks before, but only once have both I and my partner been away. It was for a week last Christmas, and I was worried the whole time for a thousand different reasons. The birds seemed to come out of it unscathed, though. I just wish there was a friend we could leave them with that would take them out and play with them, rather than just the vet where they're busy and the birds have to stay in their cages 99% of the time.

Amaya posted:

Nice idea! Maybe another time you could see if you could find someone to set feathers like that in resin or something, make a pendant.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
Bird update: I have no idea wtf is going on or what I should do. Bird has been quite scared and very aggressive. Basically, if anyone went near her, she'd start violently trying to bite at them through the bars of her cage. If she managed to get you, she would bite very hard. She didn't chirp or make any noises at all. My boyfriend commented, "I wish I hadn't known her when she was happy, because this is heartbreaking." My roommate stopped taking her into his room because, well, she had become an rear end in a top hat bird.

The good thing is that that means I have some access to Bird again. I had about 15 minutes with her yesterday, which wasn't a tonne of time, but I was able to calm her down a fair bit. I had a solid hour with her today, and by the end, she was almost totally back to normal. She's not jumpy or bitey with me anymore. I don't know how she'll be with my roommate (he'll be home any minute now). She ate some sweet potato in a lemon-tahini sauce off my fingers, then I put some mango into her food dish. I called her over to the part of her cage with the mango, and she crawled to the part of the dish closest to the cage bars, and alternated between licking the mango bits (not eating them, just licking them- not sure what that means) and asking for my finger so she could get pats. She was back to being cute and sweet, and was once again making happy chirping sounds.

And now I don't know what to do. Will this be a cycle where I make Bird happy and friendly, and my roommate gets jealous and locks her in his room, and then she becomes a monster, so he leaves her in her main cage, where I then make her happy and friendly, repeating again and again? Like, seriously... what do I do? Is this just torturing her? Should I hope my roommate gets bored? Do I need to just abandon her and find a new place? I seriously just don't know.

EDIT: We just had a talk about this. He is 100% convinced it's because I am a girl and so was Bird's breeder. I keep reminding him that Bird loves my boyfriend, but he ignores that. I tried to explain the importance of moving slowly when around Bird and watching her so you can stop if you're making her uncomfortable, and again emphasized talking to her gently to keep her calm. He's willing to initially go slowly, but then just kind of suddenly makes a grab for her. He also just will not talk to her. I don't know. I will keep trying to work with him, but he is just convinced this is not his fault and that she likes me because I'm a girl, and not because I am gentle with her.

electricgoat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 17, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm not sure if you have mentioned this before, but have you offered to purchase the bird from him?

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Joe Don Baker posted:

I'm not sure if you have mentioned this before, but have you offered to purchase the bird from him?

From what I understand Electricgoat doesn't want to be a bird owner and it seems like even if the bird was bought this spoiled rear end brat would just get another bird and try to force it to love him probably forever. I can't blame her(?) though, I've known lots of people that take bad care of their animals and I wnated to help, but not enough to keep them myself.

Electricgoat I would say you should just keep trying to cheer Bird up. If your roommate keeps being a fuckass and spiraling the poor thing's life into the gutter you can atleast give it some happiness instead of just letting it rot ignored and unloved. IF you can stomach your roommate being an idiot.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
If my roommate were ready to part with Bird, I would very gladly buy her off him and place her with a good home. I can't afford a bird and don't have enough time to give her the attention she deserves. I love her very much and would like to care for her because she is a very beautiful creature with a lovely personality, but I want her to be happy and I don't think I am the best person for her. I think she'd really like to be with a family or some sort of home with many people in it.

But Amaya is right that this would not accomplish anything (though the biggest issue is that there's no way he'd accept defeat and give up Bird at this point). In my roommate's mind, this is not his fault at all. It is my fault because I am a girl and so was Bird's breeder. He'd then go out and buy a bird from a male breeder. Then he'd come up with an excuse about why it wasn't his fault the new bird hates him.

Remember that this guy got rid of a cat because it was too much work and then got a BIRD.

And I can stomach living with an idiot. I don't know if I can stomach watching animal abuse in my home. She really is an incredibly sweet bird and it was shocking to see her become vicious in just a matter of days. :( I suspect I will probably just continue to do my best to try to make her happy, but this might just make me too depressed.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
Tell him to post a thread in PI about why his bird hates him, and we can all tell him he's a blithering moron. (I doubt he's even on SA since you're posting about it here and I doubt he'd listen even if he did, but I can dream of an entire subforum piling on him)

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
My bird (GCC) is puzzling me, he's been taking to burrowing under my blanket when I take a nap with him out. It's not a bad thing, exactly, but I'm wondering if this is part of some mating habits that these guys have, since it IS springtime and he's being especially "let me share my food with you, I love you" lately.

I'd get a picture of it, but the camera is a death-device, but good lord is it cute how he brute-forces his way underneath a fairly heavy (for him) blanket and then spends a few minutes tapping me in the dark with his beak to keep me honest.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

electricgoat posted:

If my roommate were ready to part with Bird, I would very gladly buy her off him and place her with a good home. I can't afford a bird and don't have enough time to give her the attention she deserves. I love her very much and would like to care for her because she is a very beautiful creature with a lovely personality, but I want her to be happy and I don't think I am the best person for her. I think she'd really like to be with a family or some sort of home with many people in it.

But Amaya is right that this would not accomplish anything (though the biggest issue is that there's no way he'd accept defeat and give up Bird at this point). In my roommate's mind, this is not his fault at all. It is my fault because I am a girl and so was Bird's breeder. He'd then go out and buy a bird from a male breeder. Then he'd come up with an excuse about why it wasn't his fault the new bird hates him.

Remember that this guy got rid of a cat because it was too much work and then got a BIRD.

And I can stomach living with an idiot. I don't know if I can stomach watching animal abuse in my home. She really is an incredibly sweet bird and it was shocking to see her become vicious in just a matter of days. :( I suspect I will probably just continue to do my best to try to make her happy, but this might just make me too depressed.

electricgoat, you're a saint for helping that poor little parrot out even though you don't have to so don't feel too bad. If your roommate gave up a cat then with a little luck he might give up Bird and he/she will get a chance to get to a real home. Your roommate is a total idiot since it pretty much takes effort to get a bird to hate everyone so quick. Since you care about the little dinosaur so much (and I would to) I think you're going to have to have some serious words with your roommate. If you need some backup then get it but I get the sense this is seriously bothering you and I know you mentioned you intend to move soon but if you let the status quo persist then I think your going to be extra miserable.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BlueDiablo posted:

My bird (GCC) is puzzling me, he's been taking to burrowing under my blanket when I take a nap with him out. It's not a bad thing, exactly, but I'm wondering if this is part of some mating habits that these guys have, since it IS springtime and he's being especially "let me share my food with you, I love you" lately.

I'd get a picture of it, but the camera is a death-device, but good lord is it cute how he brute-forces his way underneath a fairly heavy (for him) blanket and then spends a few minutes tapping me in the dark with his beak to keep me honest.

Conures.txt

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Marshall's thing to do is to get as flat as possible.

I want you to imagine the small gap that is from the floor to the bottom of the door in a closed door. I want you to imagine how a bird could flatten itself to be able to get underneath that gap.

And now you've got Marshall's new game. I'm pooping bird go away

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Maru has found a wonderful new place that she shouldn't be. Behind the TV in the bedroom on the Dresser. I have to use the stuffed lobster of death to scare her out. But now it's turned into a sick twisted game while I'm trying to get ready for work. So she comes out while I'm feeding her in the morning. And she goes behind the Tv when I leave the room to dump the food and water. I come back and every time she's half peeking out from behind the TV and I say "Hey You getting into trouble!?" "Sqwaurk" turns around and runs behind the tv. I kinda like it :3:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Leeloo thought that if she was cute enough we'd let her back out. Well bird, you won't stop picking bf's scab so you can lick up the blood, so no.

via Imgflip GIF Maker

via Imgflip GIF Maker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Leeloo thought that if she was cute enough we'd let her back out. Well bird, you won't stop picking bf's scab so you can lick up the blood, so no.

via Imgflip GIF Maker

via Imgflip GIF Maker

We have the same cage.