Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Chamale posted:

I want to make a covid video now, what are some other good song suggestions? Going to do it as a timeline, with the death toll constantly ticking away at the bottom.

Another one bites the dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Chamale posted:

I want to make a covid video now, what are some other good song suggestions? Going to do it as a timeline, with the death toll constantly ticking away at the bottom.

I bet there's at least a dozen songs by the Decemberists that would work.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Chamale posted:

probably been posted already but

https://youtu.be/Dy4HA3vUv2c

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm4UT3L-wS0

:mad:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Chamale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INqQ2J-7U5w

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Morbus posted:

I don't think you're "wrong" just maybe over-optimistic. Like, what the Bieniasz work shows is that

-Spike, by accumulating no more than 20 point substitution mutations, can evade most vaccinated or convalescent people's antibodies completely
-If those antibodies undergo a lot of affinity maturation, this seems to be no longer the case
-That degree of maturation, in order to be relevant, may require boosters or new vaccines
-Absent this smorgasbord of substitution mutations, it doesn't look like there are a lot of other single point spike mutations in the virus's bag of tricks to further escape antibodies

Even if you just end things there, I don't think the situation is necessarily "good". If delta achieves a significant degree of antibody escape, while retaining any semblance of it's current R0, then the next 6-12+ months are going to loving SUUUUUUUUUUUCK, worse than anything we've experienced yet. And while the news about affinity maturation is welcome, really exploiting that may require a sustained and very successful vaccination effort--possibly with a new vaccine--and, well, we see how well that's going.

Thanks for laying all this out. It makes sense. No arguments that the next few years, at least, are going to suck.

SchrodingersCat posted:

It's not a trivial virus, we are getting pushed around by a virus badass enough to kill people in spite of everything modern medicine can throw at it, and still manages to infect and kill people with acquired immunity.

When I said COVID might be "relatively trivial", I only meant it might in principle be actually possible to develop vaccines that induce antibodies that the virus can't evolve to escape. As opposed to that not being possible even in principle, which seems to be the current situation wrt influenza, HIV etc. Wasn't trying to argue that COVID isn't disastrous, just that it could have been even worse (assuming there is in fact a limit to antibody escape).

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

triple sulk posted:

serious question for all the respirator people, are you all just so immunocompromised that if you get covid you're like 100% sure you're gonna die and/or you have to be around people 75% of the day or what

at this point i'm assuming if ever see somebody with one and they aren't doing some kind of construction that they're a poster in this thread

I take humira for my psoriatic arthritis (I have been on other TNF inhibitors but I'm currently back on humira) and every time I get a cold I'm sick for two weeks and almost every time I develop strep and need a 10+ day course of antibiotics.

Several years ago my doctor wanted to supplement my treatment with methotrexate (a chemo drug) and not only did it make me feel like poo poo, it also definitely weakened my immune system more. I went off it because of the side effects (intense nausea and fatigue) but soon afterwards a bad cough went around in the summer.

Well I got that cough and it felt like I had glass in my throat for six goddamn weeks. It took three courses of antibiotics to clear it up. It seemed to have gone away after the first or second course (I can't remember) but it came back within a couple of days. I had to take steroids to get the swelling in my throat down and I have bad reactions to steroids every time I take them. Sleeping five hours a night, sweats, rash, increased heart rate. Unpleasant stuff.

Now, after that six weeks was over my immune system was so beaten down that I got the shingles. I was in my late 20s or early 30s at the time. That was another solid month of being on meds while I got blisters on my neck, head, and inside my loving ear. It stopped just short of my eye, which is good because it can cause blindness. The better part of a decade later I still get pain on that side of my head which causes me trouble sleeping. This is bad because my hip on my other side also hurts so sometimes I just keep getting woken up no matter what side I roll onto. My ear is also extremely sensitive to cold to the point where even a mild breeze in weather below 70 makes it hurt. I had to do physical therapy for my neck in addition to what I had been doing for my arthritis. I'm in danger of a re-occurrence due to my meds. It supposedly starts up where it left off so I'd be risking my eye.

I am NOT interested in getting sick again.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7I4kSpS43o

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

galenanorth posted:

I could swear there was an article in which Fauci uses the "There is no evidence masks work" phrasing in implicitly warning against masks in order to protect the mask supply, at the start of pandemic, and I'm sure it's out there, but I can't find it, and it's driving me a little nuts today. Can anyone else find it? All I could find regarding from January-March was

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...nds/4787209002/
https://www.factcheck.org/2021/02/scicheck-video-wrong-about-fauci-covid-19/ (scroll down to Fauci's comments on masks)

The second link contradicts the first one, presumably because they missed that Fauci had already started to switch rhetoric by then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRa6t_e7dgI

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marzzle posted:

lol if you believe cspam isn't the same way

I don't act like this and I love you all and i dont want u to be probed or die

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

this was based on responses to some bbc quiz from people with severe enough to go to the hospital but not get vented etc, who just barely got out. it wasnt any actual research, iirc

Oof

Crunchy Black posted:

it made me dumb as poo poo and way mentally slower OP

Don't worry comrade, we're all stupid as poo poo

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OpenTable reservations are down over 60%.

Delta is here.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

SchrodingersCat posted:

What I want to see is death counts. The long game for COVID isn't acute antibodies, it's gonna be memory cell mediated immunity. And if memory cell mediated immunity is decently strong than we should see reduced death counts in the face of increased case counts.

Last year we were seeing 3000+ deaths per day around the same time we were seeing 200k cases per day, so that's kind of the crossover point I'm looking for.

Since delta replicates very quickly, having a decent amount of circulating antibodies is probably helpful regardless. Any amount of latency waiting for the adaptive immune response to spool up while delta does it's thing is probably not great.

Anyway, we are already seeing reduced death counts in the face of increased case counts, for obvious reasons. Just, not as reduced as we'd like--more so for hospitalizations, and who the gently caress knows with regards to longer term effects. The justification for getting boosters and/or being concerned about waning antibody levels is just to maximize the protection you get against a virus where protection is more marginal than we'd like. I don't think there is any good argument that circulating antibodies somehow "don't matter". They are a component of the overall immune response and an important one against such a fit virus.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Hyped to learn about the newest quack cope cure

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pulvis Sumus posted:

Thanks, hoping it will be speedy as well.

The half of us that got sick both got Pfizer. The ones that didn't get sick both had Moderna.

gently caress yeah moderna.

Extremely funny that Pfizer got the premium label but sucks way worse!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

U-DO Burger posted:

weren't they already not doing that, how is this a change

You're right, the CDC's statement continues to be

quote:

As of May 1, 2021, CDC transitioned from monitoring all reported vaccine breakthrough cases to focus on identifying and investigating only hospitalized or fatal cases due to any cause. This shift will help maximize the quality of the data collected on cases of greatest clinical and public health importance.

Previous data on all vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC from January–April 2021 are available.

It just got picked up and repeated in that story from WA because people are starting to notice the CDC doesn't give a poo poo if they get sick.

quote:

After attending an outdoor wedding in Snohomish County, Chuck Wotipka was informed several people had tested positive for COVID-19 in the days that followed. Wotipka was vaccinated, so he figured his odds of becoming sick were low.

And then the symptoms hit him. “I was pretty much bedridden with extreme fever, stuffy nose, sore throat, just like a very bad case of the flu,” he said. Soon, he discovered he is among a growing number of people with “breakthrough” COVID-19 cases (those fully vaccinated and still got sick).

He was even more unpleasantly surprised that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does not track breakthrough cases like his unless there is a hospitalization. “For the general public to understand that more people are getting sick is really irrelevant information,” he said. “But if I’m a vaccinated person, and I understand there are a significant number of people like me getting sick, I might take more precautions because I think we all become a little more complacent after becoming vaccinated.”

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Thoguh posted:

I bet there's at least a dozen songs by the Decemberists that would work.

the hazards of brunch

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Why hasn't worldometers provides stats for Florida yesterday?

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

MooselanderII posted:

Please be patient we are still processing the data.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Glumwheels posted:

Bullshit, there is no way we’re past the peak.

claiming we are past the peak every single day is a pandemic tradition

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
there are very few breakthrough cases if you just dont bother tracking them!

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

MooselanderII posted:

the liberal delta hoax in florida is now over and desantis is having those responsible rounded up by state police

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Easy claim: this is where multiple states simply try to stop reporting any data rather than even cook the books.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MooselanderII posted:

gently caress you

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Surely this is the peak :sweatdrop:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Spoondick posted:

the hazards of brunch

Oh word there’s a new Decemberists album?

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Jon Irenicus posted:

Easy claim: this is where multiple states simply try to stop reporting any data rather than even cook the books.

this but not out of competent intent, everyone responsible for reporting the data is out with covid

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Chamale posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfsdoCW1Hvs

CaptainViolence has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Aug 11, 2021

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The CDC deliberately not doing its job in order to support the official line on covid vaccines and suppress news of breakthroughs is a pretty breathtaking act of professional misconduct.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

TheMightyBoops posted:

Oh word there’s a new Decemberists album?

yeah, it's about a young woman who falls in love with a deer that shapeshifted into nate silver who told her the odds of getting pregnant were infinitesimally small, he also fancied himself quite the boat builder

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

SKULL.GIF posted:

OpenTable reservations are down over 60%.

Delta is here.

:thunk:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
editing because i don't feel like getting harassed by mods or admins lol

empty whippet box has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Aug 11, 2021

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Morbus posted:

Since delta replicates very quickly, having a decent amount of circulating antibodies is probably helpful regardless. Any amount of latency waiting for the adaptive immune response to spool up while delta does it's thing is probably not great.

Anyway, we are already seeing reduced death counts in the face of increased case counts, for obvious reasons. Just, not as reduced as we'd like--more so for hospitalizations, and who the gently caress knows with regards to longer term effects. The justification for getting boosters and/or being concerned about waning antibody levels is just to maximize the protection you get against a virus where protection is more marginal than we'd like. I don't think there is any good argument that circulating antibodies somehow "don't matter". They are a component of the overall immune response and an important one against such a fit virus.

In this acute phase of the pandemic, absolutely. Everyone should be getting boosters (legit or not), and we should be creating boosters that target multiple epitopes to give the immune system more of a fighting chance against variants.

I'm more looking at, is this going to be 300k deaths per year in perpetuity in the USA, or is it going to be like the annual flu season once we move from pandemic disease to endemic disease. I've assumed from the beginning that COVID was going to become an endemic disease and that the end game would be yearly boosters.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/CALFIRENEU/status/1425543058536374272?s=19

no! no!!!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pulvis Sumus posted:

Thanks, hoping it will be speedy as well.

The half of us that got sick both got Pfizer. The ones that didn't get sick both had Moderna.

ok well time to go in for that 4th Pfizer shot and hope that makes up the difference I guess

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

This summer. Death. Has a new face

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

gently caress you

empty whippet box posted:

i love that fluffdaddy 100%

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

skewetoo posted:

Surely this is the peak :sweatdrop:

lol

edit: lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Perhaps Biden is doing what he recommended said years ago; waiting for people to come around on their own. I mean the numbers are ridiculous, it seems unlikely in the extreme that they'll be able to maintain open k-12 classes. Maybe Biden's thinking that if he forced a lock down and canceled school on his own, ahead of the disaster than he'd take all the heat for it, even though that disaster would be largely avoided, alternatively, he can let it play out a bit. Schools open, and it's like watching people being fed into a wheat thresher, suddenly people aren't so against masks, social distancing and getting vaccinated anymore, Biden get's what he wants, (at the cost of quite a few more dead and sick people than he would've otherwise had) and he doesn't have to make any unpopular unilateral moves.

quote:

I personally don’t care what his reasons are given that we are endangering children more so than last year by not mandating distance learning and cases are higher than last year.

The incompetence is staggering and deadly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HOW DARE YOU SAY ANYTHING MEAN ABOUT DADDY JOE WHO IS SIMPLY FEEDING CHILDREN INTO THE WOODCHIPPER TO AVOID TAKING POLITICAL BLAME!!!! 3 DAY PROBATION!!!!!!