Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1425463227060826122

has anyone tried systematically capitulating to the antivaxxers and giving them the change they want to own them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
wish we could get this kind of "threatening local officials" and "storming the legislature" energy for, say, Medicare for all

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

the videos are making me crack and ping

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/AjvictoryMD/status/1425282056154718213?s=20

what do you mean public health isn't entirely a matter of personal choice!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

durrneez posted:

america is so loving stupid :lmao:

It's insanely clear that nobody in this country has coping skills for the now very real, very tangible realization that society is in decline, both due to covid and climate change, and the mammalian instinct of lashing out against this denial of reality coalesces in harassment of anything they perceive of affecting their privilege. I mean yeah there's a deeply layered poo poo cake of misinformation that gets spread but that in and of itself is a manifestation of denying reality, and with zero guiderails in the way of family, community or mental support to keep the coping in check, it goes loving haywire and lol we get what we see now

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

synapse posted:

https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1425463227060826122

has anyone tried systematically capitulating to the antivaxxers and giving them the change they want to own them?

you dont deserve to live on any land harboring a society if that's your loving attitude

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

we've built a society that by design makes sure that everyone is as atomized as possible

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1425465074341326848?s=21

shut the gently caress up, Nate

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

i am harry posted:

these mask pics are a turn on

BONK

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Feldegast42 posted:

we've built a society that by design makes sure that everyone is as atomized as possible

need to take the next step and atomize people too.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Apraxin posted:

starting to think there's something to the 'it's a brain parasite that controls you into spreading itself' theory
https://twitter.com/brinleyhineman/status/1425304606968590345

turns out letting fascists scream onto the radiowaves for 70 years that government is evil wasn't such a good idea after all

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://twitter.com/viveka/status/1425461283587956742?s=21

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

serious question for all the respirator people, are you all just so immunocompromised that if you get covid you're like 100% sure you're gonna die and/or you have to be around people 75% of the day or what

at this point i'm assuming if ever see somebody with one and they aren't doing some kind of construction that they're a poster in this thread

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I'm just asking questions!!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
jesus christ this is starting to make me break bad over here.

school starts tomorrow!!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

triple sulk posted:

serious question for all the respirator people, are you all just so immunocompromised that if you get covid you're like 100% sure you're gonna die and/or you have to be around people 75% of the day or what

at this point i'm assuming if ever see somebody with one and they aren't doing some kind of construction that they're a poster in this thread

posters in this thread want to die tho

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

triple sulk posted:

my guess is they dont want to catch covid

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Plank Walker posted:

the cohorts are 26k of vaxx vs 26k of non-vaxx, but the data for july is a smaller subset of each, and the 42% pfizer effectiveness statistic is only among vaxx (26k) -> pfizer (?% of 26k)-> july(??% of ?% of 26k) so who knows what the actual sample size is for that specific cohort

Yes, so either we have to wait for more people to get infected, they should increase a large number (3*26k) further or ditch the cohort matching. So this is about as good of a study about differentiated breakthroughs as we can get right now :shrug:

The data will naturally improve as more people get infected, but this is a "abundance of caution" situation.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

triple sulk posted:

i don't want my toddler to get covid and the vaccines don't do a great job of preventing infection

therefore, half-face p100 indoors. nothing worse than a kf94 when there's a potential to be close to random people anywhere.

seems pretty obvious unless "getting covid" is "okay" to you or the people you live with.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

he should just quit fuckin around and come out as fully anti-vaxx/pro-covid, it's pretty clear he's jumped on the disinformation grifting train

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Watch someone’s brain completely break from numbers: The Nate Silver story

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

idea: just hire a lawyer, duh, everybody has tens of thousands of dollars sitting in a retainer ready to sue random people at a protest, bing bong

https://twitter.com/artmoreorless/status/1425462446731444230?s=20

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

triple sulk posted:

I have to sit in an open office full of people telling stories about their vacations to Florida and all the poo poo they got up to at the bar last night. Everyone takes their masks off at their desk.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Louisgod posted:

It's insanely clear that nobody in this country has coping skills for the now very real, very tangible realization that society is in decline, both due to covid and climate change, and the mammalian instinct of lashing out against this denial of reality coalesces in harassment of anything they perceive of affecting their privilege. I mean yeah there's a deeply layered poo poo cake of misinformation that gets spread but that in and of itself is a manifestation of denying reality, and with zero guiderails in the way of family, community or mental support to keep the coping in check, it goes loving haywire and lol we get what we see now

:hai:

i am oddly thankful that i had an abusive family because i know how to cope with feeling powerless and knowing that nothing will change and will likely get worse.

triple sulk posted:

serious question: do you think the only negative outcome from a covid infection is death?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Norton posted:

my guess is they dont want to catch covid

idk i just wear a regular mask and haven't gotten it. maybe only ligma is strong enough

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

durrneez posted:

:hai:

i am oddly thankful that i had an abusive family because i know how to cope with feeling powerless and knowing that nothing will change and will likely get worse.

serious question: do you think the only negative outcome from a covid infection is death?

i never said death is a negative outcome

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Insanite posted:

i don't want my toddler to get covid and the vaccines don't do a great job of preventing infection

therefore, half-face p100 indoors. nothing worse than a kf94 when there's a potential to be close to random people anywhere.

seems pretty obvious unless "getting covid" is "okay" to you or the people you live with.

this, 100%

even ignoring acute sickness, kids at extremely high risk for long covid even with asymptomatic infection

Iverron
May 13, 2012

liberals have been qting this guy in response to everything

what’s the explanation here? poo poo testing, poo poo data?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

triple sulk posted:

we live in Hell so I assume if I get covid I’ll die or my children will die or probably both. assuming anything else raises the risk of that happening.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
*Atherosclerosis and my penis doesn't work anymore*

99.7% survival rate, libs! :smug:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

triple sulk posted:

idk i just wear a regular mask and haven't gotten it. maybe only ligma is strong enough

Don't want to catch it and give it to my kids asymptomatically. Does that make sense to you?

Probably correct that any non-construction worker respirator-wearer you see in the wild posts here.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Morbus posted:

Maybe, but where, really, is the evidence that cases dropped in response to people panicking and staying home (at least to an extent that it would be expected to blunt formerly accelerating cases from delta)? Notably, in the UK, the initial fall in cases coincided with peak open 'er up. Meanwhile, in parts of California with high vaccination rates, cases are continuing to increase (though not as explosively in e.g. Florida) even after some reintroduction of NPIs, workplace closures, general re-assessment re: delta in the libosphere, etc.

So the thing about vax rates is that they've been basically static for the last month. Any peaks, troughs, or waves you see are therefore not related to vaccination since the population's been homogenous in that respect the entire time. Ie, in order to see a change in the growth of the outbreak something needs to change in time. That could be a new more virulent strain, NPIs, low-grade public panic, open biden, or whatever, but vax rates aren't changing over time in that way. Attributing the current peak to the unvaxxed and the growth of the next peak four or five weeks on to the vaxxed would only make sense if you expected that the vaxxed people getting sick now are taking weeks to show symptoms and then get tested and pop positive, which isn't supported.

"People are getting scared and staying home" is a default driver of peak/trough behavior in pandemics and I mean public panic that causes people to decide themselves not to take risky behaviors not some limpwristed bullshit policy moves by liberal governors that don't have any enforcement mechanisms. That happens when so many people are getting sick that others consider themselves or their families to be at risk at a moment in time. Then a month or two goes by and they start thinking maybe covid forgot about them.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Are there people in the real world who respect and listen to Nate Silver? I only ever see him discussed here and it's nothing but dunking on his dumb and wrong rear end. Please don't tell me television watchers think he's smart and right.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Built my corsi box yesterday and after one night, it was easily worth it just for the reduction in morning sinus crud. A++++ would buy again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Iverron posted:

liberals have been qting this guy in response to everything

what’s the explanation here? poo poo testing, poo poo data?

Hard to say. It might really be slowing down if everyone in those states is now scared shitless and eating beans in the dark at home rather than licking doorknobs at the club.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Apraxin posted:

starting to think there's something to the 'it's a brain parasite that controls you into spreading itself' theory
https://twitter.com/brinleyhineman/status/1425304606968590345

wooo playing "spot our former classmates" this morning

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I went with a different choice of music but here you go

https://vimeo.com/585588514

isn't this the same song from the intro to the Dawn of the Dead remake lmao

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

get a lawyer and let them get to work

-

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

wish we could get this kind of "threatening local officials" and "storming the legislature" energy for, say, Medicare for all

That actually would need principled bravery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

trap sprung on all the people who had kids. lmao