Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

that's it? I mean I guess freestylin' Jericho is pretty solid any time but I figured there would be a post show panel or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
see you on nitro

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

that post show was a production nightmare but at least I got to see some jericho promo

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Huntman posted:

ok it's settled i never want Jericho to lose the belt for more promos like this

Counterpoint: imagine him losing his poo poo when (God willing) Mox beats him :allears:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jonny Nox posted:

hell of a post show there boys
So much stuff looked low rent like Page just awkwardly standing infront of the press like an open mic night at a bar

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

achillesforever6 posted:

So much stuff looked low rent like Page just awkwardly standing infront of the press like an open mic night at a bar

I actually thought the cut to the profile angle that actually showed a room full of press instead of 2-3 guys hold smartphones worked well to make it look like there was actually interest in what he had to say. Rest of the post-show was pretty anemic for sure, and it was a crime to cut away/talk over Jericho's promos.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
I had no preference going into the WC match between Page/Jericho, but as it went on I wanted Page to win. He's younger, he's sharper, he's crisper in the ring, and he did most of the heavy lifting in that match. I'm happy Jericho was allowed to blade for it, and ffs that elbow looks awful, but his using it to counter a discus elbow is probably the best it's ever going to look. Also disappointed that Riho went over Shida, but I'm guessing now they'll have Nyla take the inaugural and lose it to either Shida or Baker 3-6 months down the line. Enjoyed the rest of the show, disappointed that Best Friends didn't get the bye, naturally, and had a lot of fun overall; can't wait for weekly TV.

Christ that elbow is loving awful.

Edit: Rest in Peace Kylie Rae, you will be missed.

Edit 2: Excited when Double A came out, incredibly disappointed when it was to help Cody, should've joined with Tully and Spears to stomp a hole into the little poo poo.

smikey fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 1, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

jesus WEP posted:

That was as solid a 5 hour show as you’ll see anywhere. Apart from the battle royal every match was good-to-great and a couple were excellent

The dark order match was as dull as promised

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So Pac is gonna fight Hangman. I hope Kenny is going to fight Mox. So who's gonna fight Jericho?

...Cody?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

smikey posted:

he's sharper, he's crisper

are you talking about like TV settings or

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Sanguinia posted:

So Pac is gonna fight Hangman. I hope Kenny is going to fight Mox. So who's gonna fight Jericho?

...Cody?

Next for Jericho is a crushing defeat at the hands of Orange Cassidy

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

smikey posted:

Christ that elbow is loving awful.

Its the strongest and best move in all of pro wrestling actually.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Next for Jericho is a crushing defeat at the hands of Orange Cassidy

Please no, we just got him, he can't die via Judas Effect yet

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
When’s the drat replay up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
gently caress. :(

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1168022045655019520

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Well maybe now Cody can go after Bayley

smikey
May 22, 2004

MotU posted:

are you talking about like TV settings or

To be fair, I was drunk before the main card started, so I'll give it a rewatch later today after sleep, but I still think Page looked better throughout that match than Jericho, who basically hit the same series of moves (plus one lovely back elbow) he's been using for 10 years except now he's gin blossomed and bloated.

Also my fantasy booking for the match would've been Page devolves into more brutal, rules-bending methods because he's obsessed with winning the belt, and the match just becomes two brutal heels poo poo-kicking each other until someone finally gets the pin. And Right of Passage was a better name for Page's dumb piledriver, and the slingshot lariat is stupid and obvious and a 2-count move like Jericho's lionsault has been for 20 years.

Edit: If Cody's line comparing Kylie to Bayley means we lost Kylie in AEW gently caress him forever, no joke. Idiot should've known better. Further edit: Goddamn loving carny, Kylie is a tremendous wrestler and her gimmick is money.

smikey fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 1, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If Kylie can’t take being compared to a beloved wrestler then that’s on her tbqh.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Jericho looked great. Page looked great.

Page just didn't get dealt a good hand. The cancellation of the PAC match and almost going a Broadway with Kip was a huge mistake

smikey
May 22, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

If Kylie can’t take being compared to a beloved wrestler then that’s on her tbqh.

Wrestlers are often emotionally broken in the same ways that stand-up comedians and actors are, in that they have a very low opinion of self and have an emotional need of adulation from others for their self-worth. I can see how one of your bosses comparing you to a person/character on a bigger stage than you have ever been on and referring to you as "Indie Bayley" could gently caress you up.

Edit: as has been said in this forum many times, if they were smart, they wouldn't be wrestlers.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Just got home. My voice is shot. :woop:

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Pinwiz11 posted:

Just got home. My voice is shot. :woop:

drat Chicago is that violent??

I kid I kid I love Chicago and have a ball every time I go.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

achillesforever6 posted:

I think this is probably the best take on a lot of promotions in general
https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1168007818273644548

Jerusalem posted:

It only just occurred to me that with the pre-show that was a 5 hour wrestling show and while I was getting slightly fatigued by the end of the main event I wasn't frustrated or tired at all... and that's AFTER watching a 3 hour New Japan show earlier in the day plus a 40+ minute main event for NXT UK.

Turns out that when wrestling is good, it doesn't matter how long it is!

Just got back from the arena.... I've been to long WWE PPVs, this didn't feel long. It felt good. I think the difference is that you have these WWE PPVs that are 5 hours long that have 14 matches on them, there are some of them that are like 2 minutes long, so you sit through commercials, entrances, short match, commercial, more entrances, next match, and you're just like... wtf. I remember going to a Raw one and there was 45 minutes of nothing happening. That is the poo poo that burns you out.

Every match was solid and entertaining. But the main event was bad IMO. It just dragged from the moment Jericho started bleeding until when they were hitting finishers. I don't know... the match just went on a bit too long, was slow, and kind of anti climactic for it to be the inaugural AEW Championship match.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

damnit kylie. you will be missed

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Just got back from the arena.... I've been to long WWE PPVs, this didn't feel long. It felt good. I think the difference is that you have these WWE PPVs that are 5 hours long that have 14 matches on them, there are some of them that are like 2 minutes long, so you sit through commercials, entrances, short match, commercial, more entrances, next match, and you're just like... wtf. I remember going to a Raw one and there was 45 minutes of nothing happening. That is the poo poo that burns you out.

Every match was solid and entertaining. But the main event was bad IMO. It just dragged from the moment Jericho started bleeding until when they were hitting finishers. I don't know... the match just went on a bit too long, was slow, and kind of anti climactic for it to be the inaugural AEW Championship match.

Of course it did, it was Jericho vs. Page.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

smikey posted:

Wrestlers are often emotionally broken in the same ways that stand-up comedians and actors are, in that they have a very low opinion of self and have an emotional need of adulation from others for their self-worth. I can see how one of your bosses comparing you to a person/character on a bigger stage than you have ever been on and referring to you as "Indie Bayley" could gently caress you up.

Edit: as has been said in this forum many times, if they were smart, they wouldn't be wrestlers.

This is harmful nonsense.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Personally, I'm exhausted. But, that's because I've spent the last three nights watching wrestling and trying to keep my energy up.

On the plus side, I got to see the Lucha Brothers perform three nights in a row so I guess it's all good? :allears:

e: I'm working my way through the thread, but go back and watch the Jungle Boy match. I don't know how it happened, but JB lost some hair on the top rope.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 1, 2019

smikey
May 22, 2004

Eat My Fuc posted:

This is harmful nonsense.

There isn't a stand-up comedian that isn't broken inside, and if they seem normal, that just means they're even more hosed up than you could imagine. They have a compulsion to get on stage solo with a mic and demand 100% attention from crowds ranging from 1 to a stadium full because something is missing inside their emotional makeup.

Edit: And they can only go from crowds of nothing to maybe a stadium by spending years standing on a stage and getting 0 reaction or entirely negative reaction until they craft lines of thought that resonate with people to make them laugh. That's some hosed up poo poo.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

smikey posted:

There isn't a stand-up comedian that isn't broken inside, and if they seem normal, that just means they're even more hosed up than you could imagine. They have a compulsion to get on stage solo with a mic and demand 100% attention from crowds ranging from 1 to a stadium full because something is missing inside their emotional makeup.

Thanks, this just gave me the confidence to put together a set and attend an open mic

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I would've put money on Britt Baker vs Hikaru Shida for the title but they went all-in on the monster vs the underdog match which kinda already happened with Yuka Sakazaki around. WWE style booking tells me that Nyla Rose will be the first champion since Riho is still in Japan and recently working with Stardom but it's a safe bet we'll get Bea vs Baker in a single match and Martinez will probably wrestle against Shida by default

Other than the ladder match this show was pretty underwhelming compared to DoN and some matches of Fighter Fest/Fight for the Fallen IMO, but the exciting thing about the show was how many stories they're setting up for a TV debut

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

smikey posted:

Edit: And they can only go from crowds of nothing to maybe a stadium by spending years standing on a stage and getting 0 reaction or entirely negative reaction until they craft lines of thought that resonate with people to make them laugh. That's some hosed up poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fWzYdbzMps

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

smikey posted:

maybe you should stop posting until you sober up

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

all out was good but waiting an hour in the rain for our lyft was not good.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Heyyy this is the first show I’ve ever flown out for.

My thoughts:

It was good.

A little long though. Could’ve stood to cut one or two matches.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Heyyy this is the first show I’ve ever flown out for.

My thoughts:

It was good.

A little long though. Could’ve stood to cut one or two matches.

i wouldn't have missed best friends/dark order or the cracker barrel brawl tbh

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

The Cracker Barrel brawl was amazing. The dark order tag probably could’ve been cut, even though I thought it was good.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It’s not right to suggest cutting the Cracker Barrel Brawl. The paper cut gags alone were worth it.

Everyone who thought bringing the dog out was a good idea is dumb! Brandy is extra dumb for forcing it to come out when she saw its reaction! Like, we could all see it trying to bolt in the tunnel. It makes everyone look bad to treat it like that. It wasn’t an Asia O’Hara butterfly moment, but it was still bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HulkaMatt posted:

The Cracker Barrel brawl was amazing. The dark order tag probably could’ve been cut, even though I thought it was good.

I didn't like The Dark Order's debut but ever since I've found them really enjoyable and I'm always surprised at how frequently I see them criticized. Maybe if I was more familiar with their prior work I'd be disappointed but I think they have a pretty neat gimmick and are quite fun in the ring, and they make enjoyable antagonists for The Best Friends (and now Orange Cassidy!)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just watched the post show and that cut from jericho to marvez is a war crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

A loving great show, just finished watching and despite the main event being a bit of a wet fart I'm giddy and also disappointed that its gonna be over a month until the next event. Everything to do with the tag matches loving ruled, Darby/Joey/Jimmy was hilarious, really five hours just disappeared on me while watching.

I am really loving amped about tag team wrestling being a thing again, its the best.