Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Young Freud posted:

If I had a theme movie night, it would be "Bad People Doing Bad Things" and it would be a three-movie of Nightcrawler, Pain & Gain, and Spring Breakers.

Any room for The Wolf of Wall Street? Though at that point it might as well just be a 24-hour marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Coffee And Pie posted:

Any room for The Wolf of Wall Street? Though at that point it might as well just be a 24-hour marathon.

How would you run it? Slice of Americana series?

Say....

Far and Away
Gone with the Wind
Gangs of New York
There Will be Blood
The Great Gatsby
The Godfather I and II
Rocky
American Gangster
Trading Places
EDIT: Fight Club
Spring Breakers
Pain and Gain
Wolf of Wall Street
Purge Anarchy
Idiocracy

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of others.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 23, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Gatts posted:

How would you run it? Slice of Americana series?

Say....

Far and Away
Gone with the Wind
Gangs of New York
There Will be Blood
The Great Gatsby
The Godfather I and II
Rocky
American Gangster
Trading Places
EDIT: Fight Club
Spring Breakers
Pain and Gain
Wolf of Wall Street
Purge Anarchy
Idiocracy

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of others.

American Beauty

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How did Birdman win and this didn't. The Oscars suck an egg.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

How did Birdman win and this didn't. The Oscars suck an egg.

Probably because Birdman was nominated, is my guess.

They're both good movies.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
the oscars are bad and anyone that cares about movies shouldn't really give a poo poo what they do, it's just an industry pat on the back event, if you love nightcrawler, watch it again and mutter to yourself "yeah this movie fucken rules" because why do anything else

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'd also think a bunch of old famous rich famous people would find a movie about how much dicking over people you have to do to become rich and famous slighlty "unsettling"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It would have been much better if American Sniper won, just to show how dumb the Oscars are.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

It would have been much better if American Sniper won, just to show how dumb the Oscars are.

No.

Every rightwing pundit and FoxNews bingewatcher on earth:

"American Sniper was so good even pussy liberal Hollywood couldn't deny its greatness." :smug:

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I would have loved how much of a fit the politically active nominees would have thrown.

Common rushes up on stage next Clint and Cooper and steals the mic.
"Clint, my man, you made a pretty good movie, but I just gotta say that everyday muslims are mistreated in America and we need to wipe out this racism towards these people of color and culture! God bless!"
*audience erupts into a thunderous applause of hollering, cheering and screaming for justice*

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FrostedButts posted:

*audience erupts into a thunderous applause of hollering, cheering and screaming for justice*
*Yet no one does anything of consequence later*.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's really important celebrities care about issues. If I was famous I would make everyone aware of the dangers of auto-erotic asphyxiation

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

NESguerilla posted:

It's really important celebrities care about issues. If I was famous I would make everyone aware of the dangers of auto-erotic asphyxiation
David Carradine beat you to it in more ways than one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Michael Hutchence and David Carradine beat you to it in more ways than one.

FTFY.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Young Freud posted:

If I had a theme movie night, it would be "Bad People Doing Bad Things" and it would be a three-movie of Nightcrawler, Pain & Gain, and Spring Breakers.

The Bling Ring would fit in nicely there too

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Albert Dekker, Michael Hutchence and David Carradine beat you to it in more ways than one.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Professor Shark posted:

Agreed. A Selma win would have been equally hilarious.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

David Carradine beat you to it in more ways than one.

More like "beat it to you"

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished watching this, it was very good.

The scene where he's negotiating the price of the triple homicide and he says "And you will do the things I ask of you when we're alone in your apartment" in the middle of a whole bunch of business talk was probably the best moment in the whole movie.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

madeupfred posted:

I just finished watching this, it was very good.

The scene where he's negotiating the price of the triple homicide and he says "And you will do the things I ask of you when we're alone in your apartment" in the middle of a whole bunch of business talk was probably the best moment in the whole movie.

I liked how this relatively throwaway line in his speech was how they resolved the plot thread of him propositioning her in the restaurant, without explicitly showing or saying anything else about it. He said it then moved on, because although Lou is a sleazebag, that part of his character isn't what they're focusing on. Much like Lou's methods, violence is what he's selling, not sex. If, say, his job were snapping blackmail photos of cheating spouses caught in the act, the movie would've had him in a sex scene. Nightcrawler doesn't need one, and doesn't show you one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I kind of liked this review

http://www.thebaffler.com/blog/nightcrawler-review/

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just saw this last night and I love the analysis in this thread, so much of it is just spot-on and makes me like the movie even more. One thing I noticed as a gearhead is that when he's under Paxton's van you hear a ratchet wrench noise. Presuming their technical advisor actually thought that out, he's loosening something, not clipping it, which makes perfect sense. That'd make something fail at some random time, who knows when or where but it's going to be bad. He was pretty far back under the van but it might have been steering rather than brakes. Either would cause a crash though, while leaving zero evidence.

Even though I didn't see the trailer you all did, the part of me that hates clichés and hates being right about predicting them, was predicting that later we'd find out that he arranged the home invasion just for the footage. On the one hand, I'm glad he's not that sleazy. On the other hand, he is exactly that sleazy by not turning over the footage that would identify the killers, instead keeping it for later. The very fact that he hid their identities had me convinced that he was protecting them and himself by proxy. I was pleased to find out that they were real criminals and he did just get lucky, and then I felt gross for feeling pleased, because it's still all very sociopathic behavior.

The craziest part is that the movie convinces you that he's borderline ethical, and wouldn't commit crimes just to videotape them, when he's doing exactly that. The van crash and the police shootout were both a result of him breaking the law earlier in the evening. (Withholding evidence is a crime right?) Absolutely bonkers.

And I love the fact that he doesn't get any comeuppance. It's way too common for movies to reverse everything they've been building and throw just-world logic into it, wrapping things up neatly. This IS a movie where the bad guy wins, and it should hit really close to home. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember hating Falling Down because the lead character had a reason for being insane and angry. His wife had left him and he had lost his job. Why did they need to throw that bullshit in there? Isn't the nonsense of daily life in the USA enough to drive someone to all those things he did? That would have been a more poignant movie, that this guy went crazy because life drove him crazy! And we're the crazy ones for tolerating daily nonsense and not lashing out like he did. To me, the whole movie deflated after that reveal, but Nightcrawler didn't do any of that, which was very satisfying in a depressing but true way.

And I'm someone who flat out refuses to watch the news anymore because of how it presents the world as this neverending nightmare of blood and murder and fear. TODAY SOME rear end in a top hat IN A TOWN YOU WILL NEVER GO TO DID D SOMETHING HORRIBLE TO SOMEONE WHO DIDN'T DESERVE IT, KEEP WATCHING TO FIND OUT ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT IT THAT WILL RUIN YOUR DAY AND MAKE YOU FEEL SCARED EVEN THOUGH IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU AND YOUR LIFE AND YOU WEREN'T IN ANY DANGER AT ALL. I mean, there's a difference between being informed and having social awareness, and what the news does to bombard you with a poo poo and advertisement sandwich every night. I frequently joke to people "oh yeah I already saw this episode, the news is all bad". This movie showed me exactly why we should all boycott it. They don't care that they make life suck, they only care that you tune in.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

The craziest part is that the movie convinces you that he's borderline ethical, and wouldn't commit crimes just to videotape them, when he's doing exactly that. The van crash and the police shootout were both a result of him breaking the law earlier in the evening. (Withholding evidence is a crime right?) Absolutely bonkers.

If the first scene in the movie didn't show you where he stood ethically, then the scene a little later on where he moves the body after the car crash just to frame a shot definitely must have.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

You know, you're right. And yet the way the movie sucks you in, even moving the body comes off as just unethical instead of outright criminal, even though it is. It seemed more like ignoring police tape rather than the really despicable act it is. My point being this is a movie that really manipulates the viewer and I like it. Definitely makes you think.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

You know, you're right. And yet the way the movie sucks you in, even moving the body comes off as just unethical instead of outright criminal, even though it is. It seemed more like ignoring police tape rather than the really despicable act it is. My point being this is a movie that really manipulates the viewer and I like it. Definitely makes you think.

Completely agreed.

Has anyone picked up the BR, and if so have you checked out the commentary?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I listened to half of it. It was pretty good. Lots of nice little tid bits and the commentators aren't dry. Which is always nice.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm surprised so many people missed the line about there being a survivor at the murder house, but "I didn't film that."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

In a better universe they would have just made Season 2 of True Detective a Detective Loki storyline.

He really is an awesome character caught in a pretty good movie with very little chance for exploration. Everything about him is just off by just a little bit: his tattoos, his mason ring, his hair, his facial expression, and even the way he wears his clothes (fully buttoned shirt, no tie), the way he "goofily" laughs for just a few seconds too long at dumb jokes, and it's all just magnified when you put him next to Hugh Jackman.

I watched Nightcrawler last weekend and was blown away. Loved the entire movie, especially Gyllenhaal's performance, and I really enjoyed the commentary and critical analysis in this thread.

It also inspired me to finally watch Prisoners tonight, after catching the first ten minutes on cable several months back. It was just as intense as Nightcrawler, but in a different way, and you guys got me ready to pay close attention to Detective Loki. As creepy and somehow fascinating as Lou Bloom was, Loki was just on a whole other level, and I agree with all the comments here on page 8. I want to see more stories about this character -- how he got the way he is, how he became such a good detective, what's the deal with the tattoos, and more.

And Prisoners had that whole feeling of creeping dread, very much like True Detective. The desolate setting, the families' desperation, the creepy suspects, the unhinged nature of Hugh Jackman's character contrasted against Loki's more centered weirdness. It's not a feel-good movie by any means, but it's definitely worth seeking out for anyone who enjoyed Nightcrawler, or any Jake G. fans. (And it also reminded me of one of my favorite movies of the last decade: Zodiac, also featuring an obsessed Jake G.! The kid has quickly become one of my favorite actors.)

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Re: Falling Down, Michael Douglas's character isn't character isn't crazy because his wife left him and he lost his job. His wife left him and he lost his job because he's crazy.

Also... the point of that movie wasn't that Michael Douglas had the right idea and it's the rest of us that are crazy. He is full stop the bad guy of the story. If I could sum up the theme of that movie as succintly as I could it'd be "Yeah, life sucks. Get over it."

Honestly it weirds me out a little when I see people identify so much with characters like him or Frank Grimes or Albert Brooks' character from Broadcast News...

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
This isn't the Falling Down thread but I've always been amazed by people sympathizing with D-Fens. Like that dialogue with the Korean shopkeeper: "Do you know how much money my country has given your country?... Well, I don't either but it's probably a lot." And the blatantly fantastical scene with the rocket launcher. He's an insane, evil dumbass from start to finish and likely so are the people who see him as an anti-hero or pitiable victim of modernity or some such.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

When I saw it first as a young idiot it was fairly easy to watch as a comedy, at least to the point later on where the police state outright he's a wife beating rear end in a top hat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Time Dissolver posted:

This isn't the Falling Down thread but I've always been amazed by people sympathizing with D-Fens. Like that dialogue with the Korean shopkeeper: "Do you know how much money my country has given your country?... Well, I don't either but it's probably a lot." And the blatantly fantastical scene with the rocket launcher. He's an insane, evil dumbass from start to finish and likely so are the people who see him as an anti-hero or pitiable victim of modernity or some such.

He's Tony Montana for angry white men. Antisocial characters are probably the most appealing to identify with.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

lizardman posted:

...characters like him or Frank Grimes

Hey, who doesn't get annoyed when your bumbling doofus co-worker gets all the praise and you can't even afford health insurance?

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Hell, just in case Schumacher doesn't think you got it, he even has Douglas say in his final scene in the movie, in awed realization, "I'm the bad guy?"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hewlett posted:

Hell, just in case Schumacher doesn't think you got it, he even has Douglas say in his final scene in the movie, in awed realization, "I'm the bad guy?"

The trouble with "I'm the bad guy?" is that it's very easy for folks to answer "no, they're the bad guys."

This is especially clear in the scene with the neo-nazi. We're ostensibly confronted with the truth - that D-Fens is just a racist idiot - but then he kills the neonazi the same way he kills everyone else. The message is 'I can't be racist, because I treat racists just as badly as I treat minorities'. At the end D-Fens - deciding that 'everyone is a bad guy' - styles himself as a martyr, rejecting this corrupted world. He's validated.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is especially clear in the scene with the neo-nazi. We're ostensibly confronted with the truth - that D-Fens is just a racist idiot - but then he kills the neonazi the same way he kills everyone else. The message is 'I can't be racist, because I treat racists just as badly as I treat minorities'. At the end D-Fens - deciding that 'everyone is a bad guy' - styles himself as a martyr, rejecting this corrupted world. He's validated.

Yep. It's essentially the same revelation of Derek in American History X. Everyone is actually a pussy and they don't deserve how hardcore he is.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I think it's either slightly dishonest or at least missing the point to feign incredulity at otherwise sane people identifying with someone like D-Fens or Travis Bickle or whatever. Yes, these people are anti-social, dangerous and not exactly sane, likeable or good role models. That's not what makes them relatable. Take someone like D-Fens. He's a dude that gets wound up and annoyed by many of the things that annoy your average schmoe (at least, setting the dog-whistle racism aside for a moment); traffic congestion, street crime, ridiculous golf clothes, whatever. It's more the way he expresses his anger that's unacceptable. But because it's completely trangressive it's a great avenue for escapist power fantasy and that's where characters like that hook a lot of people. Anti-heroes are not anti-heroes because they're good people, and it shouldn't even be necessary for them to serve a greater good in order to be considered anti-heroes. It also shouldn't follow that being able to sympathize with such figures means you agree wholeheartedly with their worldview.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Reposting from a different thread:

Just saw Nightcrawler and GODDAMN, what a character. Gyllenhaal has created a character here that is absolutely mindblowing, if he ever tops this I'd be shocked. I'm sure everyone comes to their own realizations about Bloom at slightly different points in the film, but the way it allows the true nature of his character to slowly dawn on you is absolute genius. He's just so off-putting and weird, its easy to forget that he likely murdered, or at least severely beat that security guard in the first scene.

I loved the way he explains his career philosophy to Russo's character, and you can imagine that its absolutely the truth, just in the most twisted way possible. He's examined himself, identified his strengths and weaknesses, and is running with it. It just so happens that his weakness is his general hatred of other people, and his greatest strength is his absolute lack of any morality whatsoever. So he's using his strengths to work around his weakness just like his internet research told him to do! When he actually admits to Rick that he hates people, I was scared as if I was watching an effective horror movie.

Its absolutely criminal that Gyllenhaal didn't even get an Oscar nomination for this, there's no better performance out there this year, I just don't get it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Missed this in theaters (drat limited releases), but I have to say this is almost certainly the best movie of last year that I've watched. I honestly couldn't think of any way to improve on it.

e: RE: Falling Down, I watched that in the theater when I was like 16 or 17 and even then I figured out that "I'm the bad guy?" meant that, yes, D-FENS is the bad guy of this movie

precision fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just finished this movie and holy poo poo it is good. Blows my mind it didn't get an oscar nomination for film or actor. Jake Gyllenhaal is phenomenal in this and makes me excited for his future 2015 releases.

• Locked thread