Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ah yes. "Ads don't work on me." But instead you're saying ads don't work on anyone and everyone only drinks because they are a kid and have mental problems.

Come on man.

i believe that was what's known around here as a "tongue in cheek remark"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I sure hope so because that one is pretty out there.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Im watching the movie Cocktail RN and making crazy layered 80s shots and slammin em and doing all the bartender dances.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
they wont let you in the butt chugging world series if you use 0abv beer very unfair

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Chief McHeath posted:

they wont let you in the butt chugging world series if you use 0abv beer very unfair

why u buttchugging beer

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

MrQwerty posted:

why u buttchugging beer

more farts

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

BasicLich posted:

more farts

fair

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
why the gently caress would you ever get hella drunk when you could just eat a bunch of shrooms instead it's like 50x more entertaining

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
some of us have anxiety disorders and most of that stuff gives us A Bad Time

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Junk posted:

why the gently caress would you ever get hella drunk when you could just eat a bunch of shrooms instead it's like 50x more entertaining

Believe it or not it's more difficult to get shrooms than alcohol almost anywhere.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wendigee posted:

Believe it or not it's more difficult to get shrooms than alcohol almost anywhere.

That's the primary reason but I'm also on antidepressants that make certain fun drugs not work so well. :saddowns:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Cant wait to get home to my wife and kids

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Myth: once that last beer in the fridge is gone I'm done

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Junk posted:

So many reasons.

Reason 1: Alcohol doesnt trick my brain into thinking ive pissed myself.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Junk posted:

In some US states I could get federal prison time for a few caps. But I can sure buy that $10 handle of vodka at Circle K at 3am, yessir.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Poohs Packin posted:

So many reasons.

Alcohol tricks your brain into thinking you dont have to piss so you piss myself for real which is the actual powerplay.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Alcohol tricks your brain into thinking you dont have to piss so you piss myself for real which is the actual powerplay.

I would never piss yourself

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I can’t stop pissing yourself

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MrQwerty posted:

why u buttchugging beer

butt chugging World Series has lots of events one is volume

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Poohs Packin posted:

I would never piss yourself

Lets talk again after 8 beers

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Another 8?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Either/or, nature finds a way (to piss someone)

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Does alcohol really make you piss yourself?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Does alcohol really make you piss yourself?

I have both peepeed and poopood myself while under the influence

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
gotta go somewhere

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i've never peed or pooped myself while drunk. i did poop myself a little once the next day when i was hungover and eating fried chicken, though.

i think we've all been there. you were drinking the night before and you have an empty stomach, then you eat something and almost immediately your stomach starts gurgling and burbling and you better be near a toilet

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Cant wait to get home to my wife and kids

Looks like liquid Ricola, very medicinal vibe. I'd try it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I used to think I must have IBS, but no, that was just drinking. I have another friend who also had pooping issues, he was pooping blood. His doctor told him he had celiacs and I was like dude, you get black out drunk every night and eat a meatloaf.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Spinz posted:

I'm a hardcore atheist and I quit drinking all on my own but all this trashing of AA seems a little harsh

I totally get that it's hosed up but it also does help a lot of people
Whatever works

Seriously

Imagine judge ordering people into free/low cost treatment options with scientific backing instead?

At the very least judges making minors go hang out with a bunch of self professed "life long addicts" where they hear a bunch of made-up noise about dry drunks and powerlessness to addiction and get placed under immense social pressure to accept they are a hopeless drunk ... is extremely hosed up and has ruined some lives.

No young person should have to do that because the police caught them drinking and yet like half of my friends were all tangled up in that mess. None of us had any kind of regular access to drugs or alcohol and what we did have was often provided by some older adult that one of us would meet through involvement in the system.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

There isn't a whole lot of scientific backing behind addiction treatment in general though and as far as free/low cost treatment options...

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

emSparkly posted:

I always associate absinthe with cool old ladies who are into witchcraft or other occult stuff. They got the spoon and the cool glass for it and everything.

Absinthe owns because you get to play with it and all it's fun accessories and it's the right amount of alcohol and gnarly flavors that you are perfectly happy to call it quits after one.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Oh and speaking of myths - there was one guy in the secular group who relapsed during the COVID lockdown. He thought inhaling alcohol would keep him from getting COVID, but you can't really inhale alcohol so he just drank it.

Oh you can vape alcohol out of a humidifier. That sounds like a sweet AA story.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The danger is once you start getting into absynth it just gets crazy with all the Eurorack stuff.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I got kinda buzzed off alcohol fumes while doing an experiment that involved getting fruit flies drunk. After that we switched to getting them drunk in their own little closed container 'cause some science is very difficult to do while buzzed.

At my absolute worst I remember completely embracing the pain of hangovers, because I hated my job and was really unhappy with my life, so if my mind felt like loving worms at all times then at least in my hungover state my body matched up with my mind.

I do not miss that part of my life.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Internet Old One posted:

Imagine judge ordering people into free/low cost treatment options with scientific backing instead?

At the very least judges making minors go hang out with a bunch of self professed "life long addicts" where they hear a bunch of made-up noise about dry drunks and powerlessness to addiction and get placed under immense social pressure to accept they are a hopeless drunk ... is extremely hosed up and has ruined some lives.

No young person should have to do that because the police caught them drinking and yet like half of my friends were all tangled up in that mess. None of us had any kind of regular access to drugs or alcohol and what we did have was often provided by some older adult that one of us would meet through involvement in the system.

I've started to write up my experience with a proto-MegaChurch that my family attended in the 80s, but I always run out of time.

Anyway, this sums up how they would talk to the youth group about God. All the youth "leaders" were around 25-30 years old and all had the same story. They drugged and drank in college, hosed lots of whores, gambled, etc but always felt sad. So they found God and now everything is better. They were usually married to someone with a similar story, so they'd almost present to the youth group as what kind of person you should be and what married couples look and act like. So if you are sad, it's because you need to do what they all do and God will love you. Individuality was also discouraged.

That's some hosed up poo poo to say to kids that are ages 11-16, or anyone for that matter. To me that and AA just sound like they want you to give up and ask no questions. If you get sad again it's because you stopped doing the ritual. The ritual keeps your mind off the real issues and also what you are being told. Humans have a better time believing in some ideology if everyone in the room also believes.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Bonzo posted:

Anyway, this sums up how they would talk to the youth group about God. All the youth "leaders" were around 25-30 years old and all had the same story. They drugged and drank in college, hosed lots of whores, gambled, etc but always felt sad. So they found God and now everything is better. They were usually married to someone with a similar story, so they'd almost present to the youth group as what kind of person you should be and what married couples look and act like. So if you are sad, it's because you need to do what they all do and God will love you. Individuality was also discouraged.

I love the "I was lost" stories. When I was a kid I especially liked the ultra sheltered ones who would talk about their times in college like they were sucking dick for hard drugs and didn't have the world's most avoidable self-inflicted problems. "Yeah man I was out of control, once I smoked an entire ounce of weed and was too high to go to class. Bigtime wake-up. Remember! The devil is a liar!"

I knew a guy later in life who always hinted about his dark past before christ. The big difference was he no longer wore eyeshadow and when he wasn't having a temper tantrum he acted like Ned Flanders. He was still a massive rear end in a top hat.

Church wasn't anything but a group of friends who couldn't get sick of his poo poo like all his friends from outside of church or both of his ex-wives. The last one he convinced to crank out a million kids when their marriage got bad and she still left him anyhow.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Bonzo posted:

To me that and AA just sound like they want you to give up and ask no questions. If you get sad again it's because you stopped doing the ritual. The ritual keeps your mind off the real issues and also what you are being told.

That's pretty much it. "Well were you sober when you were asking questions?" That's why you stop the stinking thinking. I mean to be honest a lot of these people are way better off like this.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

So many reasons.

Jagermeister means "bed wetter" in German

naem
May 29, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

Jagermeister means "bed wetter" in German

https://youtube.com/shorts/wr6c_fOgnZU?si=jbcFwlxE7jDBMWdn

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Internet Old One posted:

It’s a bit like a court ordering you to a bunch of Scientology auditing for your mental health issues. It shouldn’t be done, it doesn’t help and it isn’t ‘better than nothing’ - it’s associated with far worse outcomes than literally doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Or another analogy might be to say well, when it comes to covid it may not be great but hey ivermectin is better than nothing. No. Something that doesn’t work isn’t better than nothing, because it prevents you from doing the things that will actually help your situation