Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
That being said Tsukasa is so uninteresting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Trill Twisty posted:

It's weird as poo poo for you guys not to like characters because they have character flaws. That's the only way they are interesting

This is why Tendou is terrible.

Trill Twisty posted:

Okay now we can't be friends. :saddowns:

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Potsticker posted:

This is why Tendou is terrible.

Okay now we can't be friends. :saddowns:

Tendou hates everything and its funny

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Man idk, hating any show because of its ending just seems kinda dumb in my opinion. Like you're entitled to your opinion and whatever, but I really think the most important part of the show you're watching is the journey itself instead of the conclusion. Not to say the conclusion isn't important, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor of whether or not a show was "good".

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Apollove posted:

Man idk, hating any show because of its ending just seems kinda dumb in my opinion. Like you're entitled to your opinion and whatever, but I really think the most important part of the show you're watching is the journey itself instead of the conclusion. Not to say the conclusion isn't important, but it shouldn't be the deciding factor of whether or not a show was "good".

I love Faiz and the last third of the show is a huge stinky turd.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Trill Twisty posted:

Tendou hates everything and its funny

Trill Twisty posted:

Twisty you're a good poster and have basically all the right opinions on toku.

So, ToQuger or however it's spelled starts next week, right?

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I love Faiz and the last third of the show is a huge stinky turd.

Faiz was really good but then they found out they don't know how to conclude anything

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

And then the bad guy lives. The End????

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So, ToQuger or however it's spelled starts next week, right?

You're going to have to use better language when it comes to ToQuger (I still like Tokyuuger, but either one works)

It departs from the station the coming weekend.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This is probably really unlikely but does anyone know who everyone during the final Kyoryuger dance was? I figure they're the VA's for the main villains, since Candelira's and Torin's were there. I recognized Torin (glasses guy) from that one Souji episode and Candelira was obvious, but I don't suppose anyone knows which ones the others were?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ranking the Sentai I've seen from Best to Worst:

1. Shinkenger
2. Go-Busters
3. Jetman (tie)
3. Kyoryuger (tie)
5. Gokaiger
6. Dairanger (tie)
6. Gaoranger (tie)
8. Go-Onger
9. Gekiranger

I was all set to put Kyoryuger above Jetman, but then the ending happened, and while Kyoryuger was fun as hell all the way through, they really didn't stick the landing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Trill Twisty posted:

And then the bad guy lives. The End????

Well maybe there was a misunderstanding between the director and writer and that's why the show went no where.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well maybe there was a misunderstanding between the director and writer and that's why the show went no where.

Only the most recent KR endings have been marginally satisfying. After the non ending of Faiz and the bs time travel crap of Kabuto, Den O and Kiva, I don't expect the children's show to go anywhere. Also Decade was a mess from beginning to end

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Ranking the Sentai I've seen from Best to Worst:

1. Shinkenger
2. Go-Busters
3. Jetman (tie)
3. Kyoryuger (tie)
5. Gokaiger
6. Dairanger (tie)
6. Gaoranger (tie)
8. Go-Onger
9. Gekiranger

I was all set to put Kyoryuger above Jetman, but then the ending happened, and while Kyoryuger was fun as hell all the way through, they really didn't stick the landing.

Looking at that list, I hope Dekaranger is on your short list to watch soon.

And Abarenger.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Trill Twisty posted:

Only the most recent KR endings have been marginally satisfying. After the non ending of Faiz and the bs time travel crap of Kabuto, Den O and Kiva, I don't expect the children's show to go anywhere. Also Decade was a mess from beginning to end

I dunno, I like Kuuga's ending and I feel Den-O's ending was good for what the series was. Like sure it didn't really have a plot, but you got to see everyone come together and do jokes and have big character moments and then have a big ol fight with the bad man and that's all you can really ask of Den-O.

Also Blade's ending was also pretty satisfying. Not exactly heartwarming or happy, but narratively satisfying.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Looking at that list, I hope Dekaranger is on your short list to watch soon.

And Abarenger.
Dekaranger and Abaranger have decent subs?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Dekaranger and Abaranger have decent subs?

Speaking of subs, the OP mentions that TV-N has finished Shinkenger, and that Over-Time and ShinkenAnon are doing Shinkenger as well. Does anyone have any details on that? ShinkenAnon's name is in italics, and he's up to episode 32, whereas O-T are up to 4.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Larryb posted:

Are there any Rider series that have an at least somewhat statisfing conclusion?

Fourze, but I thought the movie's ending was a lot better than what they did for the last episode. It had the entire school teaming up with Gentaro bit that I thought was the logical conclusion to the series.

Also, Wizard doesn't come out of loving nowhere to ruin Shun's marriage proposal to Miu.

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of subs, the OP mentions that TV-N has finished Shinkenger, and that Over-Time and ShinkenAnon are doing Shinkenger as well. Does anyone have any details on that? ShinkenAnon's name is in italics, and he's up to episode 32, whereas O-T are up to 4.

ShinkenAnon has links to their version up on their site, last I checked, but it doesn't seem like they're going to go finish it since the reuploaded torrents are from two years ago. (It seems like Megaupload going down took the wind out of their sails.) O-T hasn't touched it in over a year. I wouldn't wait for either of them to finish it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Serperoth posted:

ShinkenAnon is working with OT to redo the subs. Those are in progress, as is Dekaranger.

As for Abaranger, the only subs that exist are a couple of episodes MidnightCrew did and the rest are horrible HK subs. They're about on par with TVN, but with added misspellings.

That being said, if your only choice to watch Abaranger and Shinkenger is TVN/HK subs, watch them. They are both amazing series.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

Apollove posted:

Perhaps hate is a strong word but I think it's natural to become soured when something, any experience, does not end to one's satisfaction. Doesn't really happen to me with tokusatsu because I generally like all or nothing about a show, but a good personal example is (newer) Battlestar Galactica. I loved that show until the final season, then I didn't like the direction but was still entertained, and then the final episodes really put a bad taste in my mouth. It's not that I don't like that show any more but the memories of it are always going to be tainted because I was so dissapointed by how it concluded.

It effects me to this day when friends say they are going to start watching it and I can't help but warn them about my own dissapointment. I know it's not cool to be a downer and try to effect someone's opinion before they've had a chance to form their own but that's the catharsis that I get. Perhaps my experience can help temper the expectations of others so they don't fall so far. Whether that's fair or not it's human nature.

Going back to endings, back before you could get this stuff online the earliest tapes I could get in bulk were of Zyuranger so I just missed out on Jetman. I know it gets a lot of praise but I can't help but just want to watch Gatchaman when I think about it.
I'm familiar with the plots of most sentai but haven't been able to watch too much prior to Zyuranger. I used to have two episodes of JAKQ on tape that I watched over and over again, mostly because of the opening :)

I don't know why but seeing "ToQger" in plain text bothers me but I'll get over it. I'll probaly stick to Tokkyuuger until I'm won over :P

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So this might be old news, but I haven't seen it posted here before. It also might go better in the general Japanese TV thread, but I figure it might bring some amusement from a series not a lot of people liked.

Kamen Rider Wizard's Donut Shop Owner chased by (fake) dinosaur.

I'd seen the first part of this gag before, but I didn't know he got pranked too. Apparently he's a popular comedian, Kaba-chan. The things you don't learn from toku! Or not without reading enough articles, I suppose.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Apollove posted:

Here's the thing, a narrative is only as good as the sum of it's parts. You gotta have good build up, otherwise no one will want to keep reading/watching and then you have to have good pay off otherwise nothing that happened actually mattered. That's just how stories work.

If you loving stumble over your ending and it comes out really bad then the overall quality of the narrative drops. Honestly that's a bigger sin than have bad set up or just being a bad story over all, because it actively turns opinions on earlier parts of the story/show.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Kiva gets a bad rap, it's essentially a J-drama with toku fighting in it. It was entertaining and as long as you go into it without grand expectations, you'll enjoy it. Awesome monster design.

Faiz was terrible, the suits were great but everything else was just completely unwatchable.

Kabuto is pants-on-head retarded Everyone is a worm. Everyone. without a likable character to be found. Really great suits though, and good fighting and cinematography, so, you know, enjoy that. Great monster design too, for that matter.

As for great endings, they consistently end poorly. Fourze and W had some powerfully good endings, Wizard has a fantastic ending because by the time it's over you're glad you never have to watch that bullshit again, OOOs had an ok ending, but the wheels had come off a long time ago (due to real life events, tragically) and it felt a little frayed around the edges.

I'm torn on how I feel about Black's ending, on one hand I feel like it kinda had a cop-out in the last episode, where his sister and friend were like "And we can never go back, gee I miss him..." and he's all sad and stoic because he can't, what, hop a goddamn plane?

I think the moral of this long ramble is: "If you go in not expecting much, you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more," and "Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax.""

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 13, 2014

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
The robots were the actual worst part of Kyoryuger so them not playing a large role in the finale is fine. All the last episode needed was one big roll call and it would be flawless. As it is, it is merely excellent. Kyoryuger's wonderful, what a good show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I'm torn on how I feel about Black's ending, on one hand I feel like it kinda had a cop-out in the last episode, where his sister and friend were like "And we can never go back, gee I miss him..." and he's all sad and stoic because he can't, what, hop a goddamn plane?

Thing is, that's not what happened at all.

The girls were talking about going BACK to Japan once everything settled, and Kotaro wasn't sad because they were gone, he was sad because he killed his brother.

And then in RX the girls ceased to exist because RX is a lovely sequel.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I think the moral of this long ramble is: "If you go in not expecting much, you'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more," and "Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show, I should really just relax.""

MST3k quotes can be applied to so many other shows. But anyways I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. You're watching a fun show about Karate Bugmen fighting silly suit monsters.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, why is it that most people refer to the series as Kamen Rider and not Masked Rider which is both the literal and, according to Toei, official translation of the title? Hell, in Kabuto they literally refer to it as the "Masked Rider System". Does it have everything to do with not wanting to be associated with Saban's ill-fated take on Black RX by the same name?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Burkion posted:

Thing is, that's not what happened at all.

The girls were talking about going BACK to Japan once everything settled, and Kotaro wasn't sad because they were gone, he was sad because he killed his brother.

And then in RX the girls ceased to exist because RX is a lovely sequel.

OHHHHHHH Motherfuck that was some bad translation! That makes the ending SO much better now, thank you, you rescued my favorite kung-fu grasshoper person from ending horribly! Thank you!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, why is it that most people refer to the series as Kamen Rider and not Masked Rider which is both the literal and, according to Toei, official translation of the title? Hell, in Kabuto they literally refer to it as the "Masked Rider System". Does it have everything to do with not wanting to be associated with Saban's ill-fated take on Black RX by the same name?

Since W, the official translation has been Kamen Rider.

But yeah, some of it is to avoid confusion with the Saban.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Kiva gets a bad rap, it's essentially a J-drama with toku fighting in it.

That's what Faiz was too though. Though Faiz had less comedy, less fighting, and way more gangster rap. And the worse ending.

I'd still say Kiva is worse overall because they took a character I liked and ruined him, which is a lot more terrible to me than Faiz where I didn't like any of the characters at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone know anything about this Super Sentai Encyclopedia as featured in this Ebay auction? It looks interesting, but I can't figure out exactly what's featured in it or if its worth the asking price.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Battride War 2! And it's on the Wii U!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Justin_Brett posted:

He's pretty much the worst secondary ever, probably even worse than Kaixa.

Leangle is the worst secondary rider to appear in a Kamen Rider series, and I'm not sure anyone who's ever watched Blade (or tried to, thanks TV-N) will disagree with this.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Monathin posted:

Leangle is the worst secondary rider to appear in a Kamen Rider series, and I'm not sure anyone who's ever watched Blade (or tried to, thanks TV-N) will disagree with this.

Leangle is the worst character I can remember from any Rider series from recent memory. He's as big of a dick as Kaixa and you never know if it's because he's possessed or because he's just a poo poo. By the time he actually stops being evil 20 episodes too late, he's completely unable to keep up with the guys who were actually getting upgrades. Instead of trying to go Jack Form or something he just unseals the Elephant Undead who gets killed and Mutsuki's like "Well sorry bro's guess my toys aren't gonna sell."

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The fact that bandai hasn't done a Skylands/Disney Infinity style game yet shows that they don't like money.

It'd be like those sentai battle arcade games that use cards, but with gashapon!

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

HKR posted:

The fact that bandai hasn't done a Skylands/Disney Infinity style game yet shows that they don't like money.

It'd be like those sentai battle arcade games that use cards, but with gashapon!

Should that ever happen, I'll never have money again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Here, have a toy review of the ToQChanger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X6vABQlxDE

Its very chatty...but not as catchy as the Gaburevolver.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

Here, have a toy review of the ToQChanger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X6vABQlxDE

Its very chatty...but not as catchy as the Gaburevolver.

It's incredibly hard to follow up people like Tomokazu Seki and Shigeru Chiba, but it's not bad so far. I was hoping for a more calm train announcement voice, but I guess peppy and excited sells better. I like the options it has though, this is definitely going to be an interesting system. My Japanese isn't close to good enough to understand anything but the color change messages though, so I look forward to seeing what O-T uses for its lines.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm so sad I'll miss SHT this week. Luckily raws come out pretty quick. Gaim has gotten pretty good, Happiness Charge has had a strong opening two episodes and I'm excited to see how TQG comes out following the incredibly strong brave Kyoryuger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Backpedalling a bit, this is pretty awesome. Did anyone here import and play the first one? How was it, if so? Not that I could understand it anyway, but was there any actual story to it that would be needed for the sequel? If OP: Pirate Warriors was any example, the second of the licensed series is usually better. Though I heard Ken's Rage 2 was worse? So what do I know.

EDIT: Wait, what? No multiplayer? drat, that kind of kills interest in the original at least.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 13, 2014

• Locked thread