Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I read this guy on LEDs. He seems to think Lumens and wattage has very little to do with what plants actually need. His argument seems pretty sound, and he recommends regular rear end shop lights for starting seeds.

https://www.gardenmyths.com/18-led-grow-light-myths/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

What do you do about clay problems like bad drainage and turning into rocks in the heat? I figure organic material and enough time will make plants happy, but I’m pretty new to gardening. I’ve got something like 13% sand, 26% silt and 61% clay.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I’ve read you can just mow poison ivy short and it will die over time. Never tried it myself.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Chernobyl Princess posted:

I know from deeply regrettable experience that this is a great way to spray poison ivy juice all over yourself.

This is good to know

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Tremors posted:

Got my peppers planted for the season! This year's lineup:
MA Purple - year 2
Sugar rush peach stripey - year 2
Thor's hammer - year 2
Aji charapita
Pockmark peach
Lemon starburst
Thunder mountain longhorn
Dragon's breath
MK purple trash
Jay's red ghost scorpion
Habanero sweet red
Jalapeno purple
Bishop's crown

Hell yeah. I need to get my habs, jalapeños, lemon drops and anaheims in the ground. Just built my beds this weekend.

What is the stone in the corner of your bed? Do boards just slide in? That rules.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

You can start a lot of seedlings with a $9 LED shop light. Getting stuff to flower or fruit depends on nutrients, temperature, cold/heat cycles and light, plus all of the above PokeJoe pointed out (for example some plants only sprout after forest fires, but liquid smoke can get em going). If you can id the plant, it’s pretty easy to find growing requirements.

Sounds like a fun and worthwhile project! I need something to do during the winter after garden season is over and have been eyeing something similar.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Was checking on my beds this morning when I found a couple dead opossum joeys. 99% a neighborhood cat got them, because the fox would have eaten them. loving cat owners man. Keep those shits inside!!!! My neighbor came by the same day and told me about all the animals their cat brings home, including endangered bats!!! !!!! I don’t know them well enough to have this convo but man it was upsetting.

Beds are doing great though. Lettuce and onions are sprouting, and the peppers look very happy. :3:

Edit: found new one. That’s four! :argh:

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 18, 2023

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

Hello my name is Chad and my watermelons are straight trash.

It's in the deepest part of my new bed which is probably like 95% compost. I'm guessing it's N deficiency... or I hosed up the roots when transplanting.

How recently were they transplanted?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Pepper bed is doing well, though the lemon drops have been finnicky since they were seedlings. From ledt to right, habs, lemon drop, jalapeño, anaheim and golden bell. Onions and lettuce in between. Probably overstuffed the bed, but I was very excited.

Edit: whoah apple does odd things to images :mad:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

spotted a cabbage butterfly around my cabbages. pulled an army worm off my pepper. the bug wars have begun

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I use a paint brush tyvm :biglips:

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

bergeoisie posted:

I use an electric toothbrush. The vibration adds an extra level of spice.

the buzzing drives me deeper into a bee mindset

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

stamens, tendrils and pistils are all i need

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Got my hands on some BT. Store only had captain jacks, so I asked the difference and the helpful gardener person essentially said, “Jacks claims they’re more woo woo.” Which I appreciated. Rain all night, so I’m applying tomorrow am. Or perhaps tomorrow evening for to avoid the sun.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Fed my tomatoes and peppers today. It is stupid that every fertilizer in a big box store doesn’t display actual quantities. I just grabbed some with more P and K than N and followed directions. But even if I test my soil I can’t meaningfully apply this stuff. I need to stop going to big box stores.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Motronic posted:

100/<one of the NPK numbers> tells you exactly how many pounds of that fertilizer you need to put down to add one pound of N, P or K to the soil.

That’s handy. Going to write an angry letter about putting it on the box.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

% per lb

8 characters, Schultz!!! That’s all I need!!!!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A robin flew into me while I was tying up one of my tomatoes this morning. It was chasing another robin. Too horny to see, I guess.

I’ve been hot composting following [url= https://deepgreenpermaculture.com/2010/05/08/hot-compost-composting-in-18-days/?amp=1]the Berkeley method[/url]. I’m a little surprised it’s working as well as it is. My gardening peers all had the impression it was too fussy, involving thermometers and various readings. I didn’t measure anything but the rough 2 carbon : 1 nitrogen, measured in 5 gallon buckets. I’ve successfully broken down 20 gallons of kitchen scraps, peels and paper waste, plus more yard waste. It isn’t working as well on whole waxy leaves like oak, but my pile is not near as large as prescribed. I could mow them prior to the pile, but there’s so many and my mower is so small. I’m very happy with the results nonetheless.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pretty sure it legally has to be on there in the US. It's like nutrition facts. Usually it's right on the front, but it might be on the back-it should say 'Guaranteed Analysis.' It has to list NPK, usually it will also list what the Nitrogen source is (urea vs. ammonium nitrate) and may also list any other micronutrients, but I don't think it has to.

None of the boxes in the store explained that the NPK ratio is in relation to a pound of the given fertilizer.

Edit: what I mean is the instructions say “use a teaspoon per X amount of water.” But that doesn’t explain how to convert NPK to weight, or that the ratio refers to P2O5 and not actually P, etc.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 7, 2023

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I dunno i just grabbed the box off the shelf and I’m pretty dumb! If it’s by weight why are we using teaspoons????

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I found some ladybug larvae stalking my tomatoes :3: I will ask if they’d be willing to send a delegation your way.

I have my first jalapeño and bell pepper coming in. Tomatoes are flowering. I moved my squash during the heat of the day which was stupid and it was very unhappy, but it remains alive. I think my soil is not sandy enough for them. Got a net around my strawbs pot, a cage over my herb seedlings pot and got some string trellis going for the beans. My leeks and carrots are looking not so happy. Lemon drops and anaheims look stressed, I think because they got a lot of water and yesterday was not very hot. The lemon drops I have in a pot that dries out fast look way healthier.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I just threw some home depot “rodent netting” around the pot. It is hard to work with, plastic, and won’t be gentle if something gets caught so I’m being watchful. My fatger accidentally killed a bull snake with this stuff when I was a lid and I am loathe to repeat that. Alas, we have more squirrels than I have ever seen this year and they love digging the hell out of my pots!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I've got a ton of basil going outside. Just threw some seeds out there. Thyme, too. Rosemary looks like it's trying but who knows.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Started fertilizing my peppers and tomatoes more. Everything is exploding and flowering. Lots of spider friends, too. BT has kept the worms away. Spotted a big rear end earwig on my sweet pepper plant. Might try the newspaper trick, we’ll see.

Gardening rules.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Even after seeing that post here about strangled sunflowers, I ended up strangling my tomatoes with twine. I have velcro stuff and should have used that. No wonder they’ve not been as productive as I expected. Live and learn.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have some of these and they are kinda spendy but super comfy with a cork insole like birkenstocks. Great for slipping on to take the dog out.
https://gardenclogs.com/collections/nora

Aldi has mega cheap versions of these, but none large enough for me. A shame.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I need to prune my maters this evening. Huge bottom leaves, tons of flowers, smaller top leaves and no tomatoes. We’ve had tons of rain and I think they don’t like that as much as steady watering + heat. Anaheims, jalapeños and habs are finally taking off! And cucumbers! And beans.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

PictureThis has a very faint “cancel” button in the top right of the “Subscribe!!!” screen, at least in iOS FWIW. I use it for a quick reference to what is native/not native.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Had to pull a wilty cucumber. Hoping to get a decent harvest from the neighboring cucumber plant before it too succumbs. I was definitely overzealous and crowded my raised beds, but it was too exciting not to. In better news, the tomato I garroted about 5” from the ground has begun producing fruit. :3: I have a ferment going with anaheims and am inundated with jalapeños. I also crowded my peppers, and the bell peppers have both bells and jalapeños, while the jalapeños are growing some suspiciously anaheim-like fruit. The habs finally took to fruiting, and the lemon drops have finally flowered. Good times.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Harvested a decent crop of 20 or so habaneros. Made some incredible hot sauce with pineapple, ginger, lime and a splash of some spicy coconut vinegar a friend gave me. Also threw some in a jar w/onions, carrot and more pineapple to ferment a bit. Really wishing I had planted double the pepper plants I did.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Finally blended up my fermenting habanero sauce. Went with pineapple, onion, grated ginger, carrots and habs. The ginger pulls it all together. Rest of the peppers are still going strong, and the lemon drops are finally fruiting. I think they needed a heatwave to really get going.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Johnny’s did me good

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

freeedr posted:

My compost is leaves + kitchen scraps + chicken manure + a small amount of last batch’s compost. Gets nice and warm and earthy no problem so I’ve never looked into it in any more depth.

A great reason to not send one's leaves to the dump or wherever the city takes them! I end up raking mine into a pile and have enough browns to compost two people's food scraps for a year using the hot compost method.

Reminds me that I need to get my garlic in...

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I end up leaving them on the ground until they turn brown. It helps to not worry about maintaining a grass lawn. Since it’s mostly oak leaves leaves which take eternity to decompose, I’ll mow some then rake the scraps. But there’s no way to mow all of them. Then I am just very very lazy and pile them in a corner near my compost pile. If they decompose a bit, all the better. When I’m layering browns and greens, I’ll throw some dirt on the leaves to weigh em down a bit. It’s honestly harder to come up with enough greens if I keep all the leaves.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

the milk machine posted:

by the way if anyone is interested i have a pdf guide to building these somewhere

please post!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

What are your favorite varieties? I’m dialing back to mainly Anaheims.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Some leaves (like oak) are very waxy and require more time and shredding and heat. I will say hot composting did a pretty good job, but that was also summer with a black tarp over the pile. Wish I had more greens to a big pile goin’

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

A Kana scraper has seemed to work on all the bellflower here. Scraped it any time I saw it in a couple spots last season and it hasn’t reappeared. Might eat my words here in a little bit, but we’ll see.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I would love to use murdertubes, but I am not prepared for the fallout of catching someone’s cat that they allow to roam freely to the detriment of everyone and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Was the Fiskars shovel posted about here? Has anyone also used the Fiskars and something from Bully Tools? My MiL texted me about BT and offered to buy me one, though the Fiskars is cheaper and looks like it has better leverages.