Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
are sichuan peppercorns dioecious? some of the internet says i'd need a male and a female

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
how does one "grow" a moss lawn without just waiting for moss? most of our backyard is heavily shaded such that grass barely grows and i would love to blanket it in moss

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
in my experience you've got Durable, Flexible, Inexpensive: pick maybe two but more like one

i use gilmour and dramm hoses that i leave in place to provide hookups in a few different spots. they're pretty good but they're expensive and tough and not very flexible and don't coil easily. i keep a few cheaper hoses around that are more flexible and storable

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 8, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

marchantia posted:

I don't think you will have a ton of success with tomatoes on 2-3 hrs of sun to be honest. If you are dead set on it, think about trying a cherry/grape tomato plant and not a big slicer tomato. I definitely think you'll get more success with herbs (basil, oregano, rosemary, etc) as far as Italian cooking goes.

yeah, i'm in 7b and have tried for a couple years now to get tomatoes out of a spot that starts the summer with 7-ish hours of direct sun but drops off to 4-5 by august, and it's an exercise in frustration. trying a couple different cherry varieties this year so we'll see

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

SubG posted:

I've grown a bunch of different kinds of eggplant from seed, and it isn't like they always fail. But I've had more eggplants than anything else do the thing where they grow into like 6" plants and then just sorta hang out...not growing, not wilting, not flowering, nothing...for the rest of the season. One season I had a Lao green eggplant come up, put out its seed leaves...and then nothing. It just sat there with nothing but a pair of seed leaves, tiny little thing, for like six months. I didn't even know that was possible.

Every time I've gotten starts from the nursery: boom, eggplants. Like several pounds a week. Plants have to be pruned back or supported because they're falling over under the weight of too many eggplants. That kind of thing.

So this season we just said gently caress it, got no eggplants out of the garden last year (which was just a weird growing year in general), we're just going to get starts and not worry about it this year.

I don’t know how you’re starting from seed but I’ve had this issue every time I’ve tried to use those lovely expanding peat pucks

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
you could cut up an old cotton t shirt or towel or whatever or get some thick cotton twine/rope

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Greg Legg posted:

That is really cool!

I have a question that's not really garden related but I don't know where else to ask. I've been trying to remove some stumps with a shovel and a pickaxe. Am I on the right track, or is there a better way to do this? I'm not really in a rush and it's a fun little work out.

rent a small stump grinder for a day and get it done, they’re cool as hell

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You could do a lot worse than build yourself a growpot and put one tomato into it. It's still early enough to plant. https://www.popsci.com/build-diy-road-ready-garden/

i made a couple "earthtainers" that are basically this but with large rubbermaid tubs and have had great luck with them

fabric pots are another good and cheap and non-permanent option, though i've never tried tomatoes in them.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Dr. Eldarion posted:

That happened to me once when I was trying to grow a tomato plant on my apartment patio. It just kept growing and by the end was > 6 feet tall. I got like three tomatoes from it.

I tried a couple heirlooms in big containers last year in a spot that optimistically gets 5-6 hours of direct sun. I pruned all the suckers and by September the vines were over 10 feet tall.

after accounting for losses from birds / squirrels / blossom end rot I ended up with two total tomatoes from three plants lmao

trying a couple cherry/grape varieties this year

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i've had good success with an app called PictureThis, as well as iNaturalist

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Ok Comboomer posted:

what did you get?

also you guys should really get into bonsai, it’s fun for the whole family and it’s a great moment to get into it

consider me interested; how does one get started?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
this is my first time getting more than a few hot peppers from a plant, and one habanero has had several fruits ripen in the past week with all the heat and humidity...

do these shapes mean it did some cross-pollinating with the scotch bonnet and/or habanda that are right beside it? the other habs have had the normal shape so far and i've read that peppers love to cross with any others nearby

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
cool. i'm not worried about them since the plants are going nuts, was just curious if the multiple shapes is "normal"

e: thanks for the excellent info Jhet!

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 5, 2023

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my peppers have done great this year and i'm already thinking about seeds for next year... is there a consensus best place for pepper seeds?

this year i have a couple habanero, a couple scotch bonnet, a couple thai chili, a huge bushy habanada, cherry bomb, hawkseye, and a trinidad scorpion

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Jaguars! posted:

I also have some chives that died over winter, should I remove them or hope that they seeded/ sow some more in the bare patches?

I live in 7b and had chives in a railing container a couple years ago. I was certain they had died but sure enough they keep popping up 2-3 years later despite my ignoring them. Anyway they may very well come back in the spring

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
ive had good luck germinating seeds on a cheap heating pad

id be worried a fan would dry everything out too quickly

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i have a couple of "earthtainer"s that are a similar design made from large rubbermaid tubs. they work great, they only need to be topped off once a week or so in the hottest part of the summer

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
basil, rosemary, and thyme are also very easy to grow and very nice to have if you enjoy cooking

i've also had success with kale and chard in my lil porch garden, likewise cherry tomatoes and peppers though those are going to be more temperature / location dependent

fabric pots are cheap and work well in my experience and make it easy to move plants around

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that's just free chives though

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
You could probably dilute down hydroponic fertilizer and "fertigate" with that, though I'm not sure you'd find something with the right NPK balance and obviously it's not organic. I use General Hydroponics in a deep water culture setup and it doesn't have any odor I can detect.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Marsupial Ape posted:

I have to do something with all these goddam Tidy Cat buckets.

they'd probably be perfect for making into self-watering containers a la the earthtainer:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

eke out posted:

how do you stop those things from being Mosquito City? is it just that it's hard for adults to get in and lay eggs

i have two earthtainers. when i first built them i figured i would eventually put a piece of net or something over the fill tube to solve that problem, but then it just never became an issue even though i live in mosquito city most of the summer

that design has the pvc fill tube extend all the way to the bottom and you drill a couple good-sized holes across the tube near the bottom, so i suspect the water level is typically high enough that there's not direct access to any more water surface area than just what's in the tube

i have to diligently eliminate any pooling water all summer, but i've never seen mosquitos in or around the earthtainers

by the way if anyone is interested i have a pdf guide to building these somewhere

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ThePopeOfFun posted:

please post!

this should work, it's a pretty good guide and i remember having some trouble tracking it down when i looked a couple years ago:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1px8UHozOuoTJxPBTjcwFjyMnX2VogWdB/view?usp=sharing

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
the Photone app can use your phone's front camera to measure light intensity, though i believe ppfd measurements and other features cost money

seedlings like some light but not a lot, 600-ish ppfd has been pretty good for me

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
sun golds and black cherry tomatoes are the best/tastiest varieties I've grown

this year I'm trying tropical sunset, alston everlasting, and black cherries again. i may break down and grab a sun gold plant from the garden center

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I'm trying suyo long cukes and mexican sour gherkins ("cucamelons") this year, we shall see

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i put in a 6x3 raised bed earlier this year, so my goals are:
- get a useful square foot garden going
- figure out what i can grow that doesn't get immediately devoured by all the squirrels and chipmunks and birds here
- do a fall planting for the first time

i've been growing on my front and back porches for a few years now and have had relative success with fabric pots and such. we're in a slight valley with lots of old trees, so it tends toward humid and shady. spots that get direct sun are limited and they move around. zone 7b in northern virginia.

the raised bed - mustard, some peppers, oregano, parsley, chard, chives, bunching onions, strawberries, sage, thyme, basil, dill

front porch garden. peppers in fabric pots. poblano, sugar rush peach, datil, gochu, jimmy nardello, banana. plus some other stuff in temporary spots until the peppers mature a bit

the back is two earthtainers with cucumbers and cherry tomatoes. i'm going to train them up twine and onto party lights that run across the porch.

not shown: about a dozen 80+ft white oaks and tulip poplars

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 3, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Chad Sexington posted:

We've been getting a ton of rain the last few weeks so my strawberries are rotting and getting fungus-y.

Same and also i suspect my green onions are dying

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How are those galvanized raised beds? I've seen some people using them around here, and figure they're probably a fairly cheap way to do it, but I worry about them overheating in summer.

mine is ok so far; it's not the fanciest but it was only sixty bucks which is about how much building one with lumber would have cost me. the bottom half has some old rotted branches and sticks plus a bunch of leaves and old potting soil. it'll compact some over time but that's fine

I'm in northern Virginia in 7b and it does get hot in the summer, which is why I went with the uncoated finish. I'd avoid dark colors if it's in a really sunny spot. I think/hope this will be ok temperature-wise

this is my first season with it so I'll have plenty to learn. We've had lots of rain the past week and more called for next week so I think my green onions are turning into mush, everything else seems alright so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my basic physics knowledge suggests that reflective or white would be the best, but im not sure how big an effect that would have on a few thousand pounds of moist soil. I'm gonna find out this summer I guess!