Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I filled mine with 60/40 sandy loam/compost and man did that shrink over the last year. Probably lost half its volume. So if I could do it again I'd definitely go heavier on the soil side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

my kingdom for a small-to-midsize pickup

Haha, Bush's pasture park by chance?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

To add onto the grass talk, if you don't want grass in your raised beds I'd recommend removing the grass all around. Ive got grass invading along the sides of all of my beds that are in my lawn. I hate grass... I'm gonna remove like 10 inches or so around the beds and plant marigolds and stuff, it'll look nice too.

sexy tiger boobs fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 16, 2021

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Holy poo poo this mushroom stuff looks awesome I need to do this. Any more experienced mushroom nerds have any suggestions for varietals (and places to buy in Canada)

I eat cremini mushrooms pretty much weekly but what I really want is something that I can plug into my yard (maybe around my fruit trees?) and just go pick it at will and cook without thinking.

My wine cap instructions talk about making the beds around fruit trees and they're supposed to be pretty dang easy to grow. Check them out - Stropharia rugosoannulata.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Thumposaurus posted:

Re: saving tomato seeds you have to ferment them before you can dry and save them.

I did it with some store bought kumoto tomatoes last year and stuck some in a pot with some coir not expecting much a few weeks ago and they are sprouting up fine and look like they will be healthy baby plants.

The problem with this is that if they're not heirloom your mater babies won't be the same as their parents. I'd wager that those fancy packaged tomatoes are some kind of cross.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you guys deal with moth/worms eating your lettuce/kale/cabbage?

GF says she was told to cover the plants with a fine sheet?

putting down some DE around the plants didn't help

I smash those fuckers by hand until I give up and let them win. Other people use Bt.

I also yell at the butterflies but that doesn't seem to do much.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

poverty goat posted:

the grass here seems to thrive in dog piss

e:

friend or foe?

The leaves kinda look like tree of heaven, in which case hopefully the caterpillar eats em all.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Previous owners at my place in western oregon planted some kinda black bamboo. It only invades my yard occasionally, and it's great for making trellises and other garden stuff. I even made a simple gate out of some. I wouldn't plant it on my own but you can definitely make a little lemonade out of your bamboo shaped lemons.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

I've got a poo poo ton of 15ft long 1.5in thick bamboo poles now tho so I guess im gonna learn to make trellises. I've already been using them for tomato and pepper tripods for a while lol.

Japanese square lashing knots work well to tie perpendicular poles together and they look good. Way more effort than just zip tying though...

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Sungolds are the best. Way better flavor than yellow pears in my experience.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

anybody ever grow nicotiana as an ornamental? any shorter, bushier varieties? or will i just have to keep them short myself?

I grew N. alata (jasmine scented nicotine) from seed this year and really liked it. I'm in western Oregon and it's still blooming a bit but the smell has mostly disappeared at this point. Can't totally remember but I think it started blooming in like late June. The tallest flower stalks are about 3 feet tall.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

showbiz_liz posted:

I just bought a shitload of bamboo to make my own tomato cages, has anyone done this before? I'm gonna have to learn some knots...

I build big cages that fit the whole raised beds using the bamboo that the previous owners planted. Probably isn't the most efficient but I use Japanese square lashing, comes out pretty solid and looks nice. Then I get tired of doing it and just spam zip ties...

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

First set of seeds going in the seed tray, fun time of year! Our Oregon winter fizzled out hard so its basically spring already...

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Eventually they start growing on top of the fabric too. Previous owner put it all over in my yard, still have plenty of weeds and it's apain to try to plant with it around.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Lupines were easy to start from seed for us, but they don't flower the first year. I second zinnias. Even just grabbing a wildflower mix will be helpful for pollinators and it's easy as long as you get one made for your area.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Oregon here so yeah maybe it just comes down to the shorter growing season.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

GordonComstock posted:

Are mushrooms one of those “garden” plants that taste significantly better than store bought or is about getting different types that you can find at the store.

Wild mushrooms are way tastier than store bought, but I feel like some flavor is lost in translation when we grow them. Also, they aren't plants! More closely related to animals than plants, but not real close to either.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

You're also a goddamn unit?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I'll also chime in about the value of reevaluating what you consider weeds to be.
Obviously there are some terrible invasives that will take over your home and murder your family if you let them. But other stuff like dandelions, wild brassicas, lambs ear, sheep sorrel, etc are really not all that aggressive and can offer benefits to pollinators, soil health, and your dinner plate.

Do a little research on what you have growing in your garden and you might decide to leave some around. Grass monocultures aren't of much value to anyone, besides your HOA I guess...

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I live on the California coast, and my weeds are mostly imported grasses. There is no HOA, and I have no lawn.

Word, wasn't replying to you specifically. That's great that you know what you're tackling. Just see tons of folks in my area of Oregon that run for herbicides at the drop of a hat. Especially concerned with untrained folks using them during flowering season where it can really have a big cumulative affect on native pollinators.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Huh, cherry trees fluorish here in the willamette valley and our soil is pretty clay-ey. Maybe we're talking different kinds of clay. My 4 in one cherry tree that I got bareroot from Costco is going gangbusters in my clay heavy backyard.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Can't see why not

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

That Old Ganon posted:

I spun the wheel and bought bogus seeds lmao

They were marketed as blue raspberry seeds but had the black raspberry scientific name, and I'm aware it'll be years until I find out. They also claim they're a west coast native and that confuses me further.

We've got black cap raspberries (Rubus leucodermis) as natives on the west coast. Maybe it's that?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Looking pretty aphidy, some sort of sucking insect anyways.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

z0331 posted:

There’s probably a more appropriate thread for this but since I saw it in the garden I’m asking here. Can anyone identify this moth?

Closest I can find is a underwing moth but this one seems to lack the brown top wings I see in all the pictures of those. But maybe they’re just folded? This is in northern New Jersey.

That looks like a type of skipper butterfly to me. Zabulon skipper maybe?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I'm not even sure my 6 ft tall tomato plants are the diameter of my thumb at the base. You need to buy the chode variety.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I catch earwigs curled up in leaves that are getting eaten sometimes but the most likely culprit are slugs.

With our wet cold spring here in Oregon I've got so many of those fuckers. If you go out at night or leave some cardboard on the ground to check in the day you can see if that might be your problem.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I'm using sluggo constantly here in Oregon with this wet rear end spring. Seems to help some. Gotta reapply frequently until the plants get established. I've heard that it can hurt earthworms too if they're in short supply for you.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Careful with them hollyhocks, I've got the same black ones and they readily self sow. Like growing in cracks on my porch and poo poo.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

We've got these things in the soil in the PNW called symphylans. Little centipede looking things that wreak havoc on the roots of some plants. I've noticed that if I put plants in the soil before they're have a really good head start that some will just stagnate like you described.

Now I haven't had issues with squash but who knows, could be something like that. "Vegetable gardening west of the cascades" talks about them but doesn't have any great fixes besides using sacrificial plants and not going too heavy on organic material in the soil. Just a possibility.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Huh, didn't know sweet potatoes were in the morning glory family. Thanks for teaching me something today.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

mischief posted:

I've always found stinkbugs in trailers, I thought they mostly ate cellulose/wood. I've seen a few of them around the plots but I don't think I've ever seen them cause a lot of damage.

Any kind of pyrethrin will smoke them quickly if needed. You should be able to find a reasonable permethrin or tetramethrin option pretty readily.

Normally to keep things granola I'd recommend spinosad but it's not going to be effective. To be really effective it will need a surfactant or strong isopropyl base to account for the shell.

Motronic normally Kramers into the chat when bugs are discussed, my experience is more on the repellent side than the killing things dead side.

Stinkbugs (assuming the common name means the same to you as it does to me) are hemipterans (true bugs). All true bugs have sucking mouthparts, whether used on plant juices or animal juices they all suck. So they wouldn't be eating cellulose, they probably just got stuck inside the trailers.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Tendrils, it's a fun word

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

One of my sugar rush hot peach plants did really well last year, the other grew well but made no peppers... really tasty though.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

I just got a 4 pack of those Barinna ones and they definitely seem better than my old colored leds.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

So I got ahead of myself and started tomatoes too early. Any reason why I shouldn't chop the tops and grow out a couple of suckers to make them bushier? I only grow indeterminate varieties.

Lighter for scale... I've got at least a couple of weeks before outside could work, potentially up to a month. I've got a cold frame too but feeling like these would outgrow that pretty quick too.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Get some thornless blackberry variety, it's super annoying otherwise.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

It feels so cruel snuffing out those little lives though... best to let them grow up into hosed up etiolated monsters when you dont have places to put them.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

My petunias are looking amazing but this vinca went from looking happy yesterday to looking like this today. Sucks. Any hope for it? The others look good still.

gently caress a vinca! Hopefully that poo poo aint too invasive in your area, it's terrible in oregon. I bet it'll recover though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Looks like my worm bins. I made the mistake of deconstructing the pallets and remaking them into bins though. Yours look great!