Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I planted a little balcony garden and now there are a million flies on my balcony. I think it's my smelly compost potting soil the garden center told me to get. How do I get rid of them or at least greatly reduce their numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Sounds like fungus gnats. They love overly moist soil so let the pots dry out more before watering them again. You could try a beer or vinegar trap to cull some of them. Or read about all the wonderful pesticide options here: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05584.html

I made a little bottle trap for em and it didn't work. I also picked up a bag trap at the hardware store but no luck so far. Perhaps i'll try out some pesticides if it doesn't work well enough.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Oh my god I hate my loving cats. After 3 weeks the chili seeds have finally sprouted and are doing quite well. I wake up this morning and find out that the cats have just eaten them all. But I already have cat grass, there are four goddamn pots full of fresh cat grass on the same balcony - didn't touch the cat grass, oh no thank you, just my tiny motherfucking seedlings.

I'm so cranky with them right now

I've got an upside down wire basket over mine to prevent just that.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I had good luck covering my pepper pots with saran wrap and watering them with warm water.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I think you can pick leaves off the spinach as soon as the plant has enough to keep itself alive without em.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jan posted:

Well, it's been two weeks of nothing but wind and 10C/50F weather... RIP thyme, RIP oregano, I couldn't even remember your names. :(

At least the basil looks like it might survive... But I'll get already started herbs next time.

I'll try to save the few tomato plants still standing in the middle in the meantime. Should I be installing a guide already? Especially with all the wind?

It took me 3 attempts to get basil growing this year, don't sweat it and try again.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cucumber juice makes a good gin and tonic.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My pepper plants are doing pretty well, it's been hot lately and they've been loving it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I think seeds from supermarket food is probably not the way to go.

Tell that to my supermarket lemons.

Did you peel the seeds? I peeled the lemon seeds and put them between a folded moist paper towel in a ziplock bag. Then I put it on my fridge for a while. Once they had like 2cm-ish roots growing out of them I put them in a hole root down about a quarter inch under the soil.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Motronic posted:

I don't think you understand what is being said here.

No one is suggesting the seeds can't germinate and even grow into trees. What fruit you get off of those trees as well as their size and disease resistance is likely to be wildly different than the trees the supermarket lemons were grown on and the fruit that came off of them.

I'm not aware of many trees, especially crop trees, that are grown on their own root stock. Most don't reproduce well at all so "new trees" are typically grafts of old trees that are then grafted onto the desired rootstock for size, water tolerance, disease resistance and probably other selection criteria I'm not aware of.

The original guy asked "How can I germinate these supermarket seeds" so I posted how I managed to do just that. I don't see the problem?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

SniperWoreConverse posted:

See now this I don't understand at all. How are these kinds of seeds "peelable" in any way?

They have a fibrous membrane that you can peel off with your fingernails.

I peeled them so they were like the middle seed in this image.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My blueberry didn't really take off at all this year, I bought it last spring. The leaves were wimpy and kinda red/brown. I finally got some acid loving plant fertilizer and now it's really perked up. Don't think i'm going to get any berries though :(.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I've had such poor luck with peppers outside in the PNW that I'm seriously considering an LED grow light setup and keeping them indoors. I finally got some production out of jalapeno and marconi rosso, but it's not looking likely that they'll ripen fully. If it works for weed, then why not?

Re: sluggo, thanks for mentioning the EDTA issue. I am really regretting recommending it to people now. I plant a little extra to account for slug losses, and use trap boards occasionally.

Here's a good video on soil that explains some concepts that I've been feeling intuitively over the last few years. Basically, focus on growing the life in your soil and the plants will take care of themselves. Her idea of a permanent, perennial, low-growing cover crop is very interesting and I think I'll give it a try on some newer ground in my garden that didn't produce very well after a half-assed sheet mulching to kill the grass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzthQyMaQaQ

I've had decent luck growing jalapeños on my balcony in seattle. A few plants even survived winter out there and produced the next year.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Seattle average 5-10 F warmer than my location :(

Dang. In that case my dad had a pretty easy time of growing jalapeños and birds eye chilies under a growlight before.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hello! I've looked a bit about the thread and I wasn't able to find much info on balcony gardening.

We're on the sixth floor with a small but very sunny (south-facing) balcony that gets a fair amount of wind in Paris, France. Winters are balmy but very rarely freezing (and there's a lot of pollution). Spring starts up quickly in March and the summers can be fairly warm, never really going about 95 F, nor below 80 f. I've grown herbs (rosemary, thyme, cilantro, mint) with success on it before, alongside a small cherry tomato plant and some jasmine, that eventually died due to the wind and winter. On our north facing balcony, which gets very limited sunlight in the summer mornings and evenings we've grown a successful verbena plant, which the winter has now killed. My rosemary has been trucking along for a few years now, and the thyme seems to do fine. Cilantro sprouts fast and lives happily but also dies incredibly quickly even when I remove the flowers prior to bolting.

Anyway, I want to try something grander this year. My partner brought me back some jalapeño (traveler strain) and habanera seeds. I've picked up a large wicker basket that's 2 ft squared. The thing is the pepper seeds seem to need a lot of space and/or soil, which are both really limited. The packets suggest that I plant the seeds 2 feet apart, which is just not possible. Should I just try to plant as many as I can in the basket and see what takes, while potting individual seeds in as many smaller pots as I can muster?

Also, on more basic level when seeding something that has SO many seeds, what's the general way of going about it? Just one seed more area or are you supposed to cluster them? I've never actually tried to grow anything from a seed (besides that tomato plant which came pretty much prepared), so I'm a bit at a loss. The weather's getting warmer so it seems like it's now or never.

Thanks

I grow peppers in pretty cramped spaces on my balcony. They're probably not as productive as they could be but they still produce a good number of pretty hot peppers.

They're probably spaced about a foot apart in a windowsill style planter. To start them I plant a seed or two in a few plastic cups and start them indoors. Then I transplant the best couple of them outside when it warms up a bit.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Great advice from the two of you thank you. Looks like my weekends planned out.

Just how warm are we talking? It's been about 41-48 degrees here, maybe even 50 on warm days. It'll only get warmer. The cold weather really hits in November. We still get days in the 60 to mid 70's come October.

Yeah space is really at a premium and I suppose I'm a bit annoyed that those seed packets easily have several dozen seeds in them and there's no way I'll get all of them to take! (Even if I did I have nowhere near the space to grow all that on my little balcony). Still I'll get started with the plastic cups and see what happens. Hopefully the cat is smart enough (she's not) to not eat and or ruin the set-up. I'll try to remember to photograph this little odyssey.

That's almost warm enough, it's still been dipping into the high 30's on occasion at night here so I haven't put anything outside but last year I had stuff outside on valentine's day. I'm waiting for the lows to be about in the mid 40's with highs in the 60's before I move em out. Now is a good time to start your seedlings if you haven't already though.

I have one of those wire trash baskets turned upside down over my plants so my cat doesn't eat em.

A suggestion for your more shandy balcony is to grow mushrooms. I leave bags full of substrate just sitting outside on my balcony and occasionally mushrooms pop put if i remember to dump water on it every now and then. Not quite veggies and herbs, but it's not that hard and they grow faster than lots of plants.

http://www.namyco.org/docs/grow_oyster_mushrooms_on_kitty_litter_illustrated.pdf

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm gonna repost this picture:

All bell peppers. Pot on the right is a bit shy of 1 gallon. With proper fertilization, that one will still have a lower yield in general (4-6 peppers per season), but will otherwise grow fully and function properly. Go below that and the plant doesn't grow to full size and fruits will malform slightly.

This is three years ago. I've grown thai chilies in the pot on the right since, two plants per pot, and they thrive like mad, giving me several harvests of 30-50 pieces in one season. It helps that these specific plants are fully grown at 1'.

Don't get me wrong, giving them more space is better. But the recommendations on the packet are conservative.

If you're in Paris, I would start trying to get them to germinate right now. Constant temperature over 25°C influences this process positively a lot. I put the seeds well spaced between two wet sheets of kitchen paper in an airtight transparent tupperware box and put them somewhere warm. Once the seeds pop open, I (delicately) put them in small pots, only to transplant them outside when they've outgrown that.

Yeah, the subdued production has been the only problem I've had growing them in about a gallon of soil each. Thai chilies are an excellent choice for limited space though as they produce very well in my experience but I haven't had any pepper just fail me.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've heard hydrogen peroxide mentioned as a solution for mold, I can't remember what dilution you're supposed to use though.

This works kinda, at least it did with some mushrooms I was growing. Increasing airflow helps too.

E: I just eyeballed it and poured some n in a spray bottle with some water.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My container carrots did terribly last year, they produced a single sad bad tasting carrot :(

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

How does that watering thing work

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

indigi posted:

Hello, thread! I am pretty brand new to the gardening world and wanted to know if there are any standard/go-to books everyone recommends for beginner veggie/herb gardening. also would like to know about berries and mushrooms, but those aren't a requirement.

I grow mushrooms, it's really easy. I mostly use this method.

http://www.namyco.org/docs/grow_oyster_mushrooms_on_kitty_litter_illustrated.pdf

And I've successfully grown mushrooms using stems of shrooms bought at the farmers market.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sir Bedevere posted:

I have read white led light is no good...lacking uv light I think.

Does anyone cultivate mushrooms? My sister and I are both taking a swing at it. Wine caps and oysters. Also I have found yellow morels for the first time! Growing right beside the building I work out of.

A good day! I hope you all are having a pleasing Sunday as well.

Back to poopsucking...

I grow mushrooms, I've grown various oyster mushrooms, shiitakes, and lion's mane. For some of them I buy little kits from the farmer's market and others I propagate myself on recycled newspaper kitty litter. They grow faster than most plants, but it isn't really that different of a process.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Micomicona posted:

OK, I finally figured out what the hell was wrong with my raspberries. They were here when we moved in a couple of years ago, in an orderly bed. I was under the impression that they needed to be cut down to the ground every winter; since the canes all died and were also hugely giant--but this is apparently only true for some raspberries, because since I've been pruning them yearly they've neither flowered nor fruited! I guess some are on a two year cycle.

So here's my question: these things are literally taking over the yard. The canes are significantly taller than I am and even with a bamboo cage they've created like a mushroom cloud shape of prickly hedge that is encroaching upon every adjacent bed. I just leave them? They'll overwinter somehow, and fruit next year? can I at least give them a trim? If I'm going to have like a third of my garden space devoted to these monsters I had better drat well get some berries!

I have a raspberry plant, and yeah it only fruits on canes that are from the previous year. They look dead in the winter pretty much but they produce leaves in the spring. I trim them and they still fruit.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

turing_test posted:

I'm trying to sprout some mint and some basil from cuttings (I've never done this before). I trimmed the lower leaves off of my cuttings and the basil seems to be growing tiny roots, but the mint isn't going anywhere (it's been about a week and I've been changing the water every other day). The cuttings are all sitting under a grow lamp that's on for 24 hours a day (I'm also not sure if I should get a timer for the lamp).

Am I doing something wrong? The mint looks exactly the same as when I cut it (nice / green / crisp) so I don't think it's rotting, it's just not doing anything.

I had the same problem with a mint cutting. I ended up just sticking the end of it in the pot of another plant I had and left it alone for a week or so. I noticed it hadn't really wilted by then so I pulled it out and it had some roots. I put it in its own pot and its doing fine.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I use them as screens to keep the dirt in on the bottom of pots on my balcony since they last for years

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have an indoor grow light for some plants, it works ok. it's one of the clamp on ones i tore apart and zip tied into a display case to keep my cat from eating the plants inside.

i didn't know white ones are better now though, when these die i'll definitly look into replacing them because it looks like im growing weed in my living room from the window.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i think they do taste better if you grow them but the difference is not as significant as with something like a tomato

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

They look really nice but the chore hater in me keeps thinking about mowing around them

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Where did you get the plant

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm gonna get one and presumably kill it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

PokeJoe posted:

I'm gonna get one and presumably kill it

update: i got the sichuan peppercorn plant last weekend and put it in a pot today

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my blueberry bush produced a single berry this year. it was pretty tart!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I hope my peppercorn tree gives me some fruit next year

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Xpost I built a cold frame and it rules

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Green tomatoes can ripen off the vine, but if they taste bad ripened on the vine it's probably not worth it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Flipperwaldt posted:

I should probably try the green tomatoes. I might go back to bell peppers and onions next year.

at the very least you could grab a few of the best looking green ones and let them ripen on your counter. you already put the effort into growing them :shrug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the grocery store isn't really a place known for taking good care of it's plants so it's probably been poorly watered. if it were mine i'd probably transplant it and prune it at the same time just for convenience sake, at least the leaves with dark spots in case they're infected or something

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've had mushrooms come back from being outside all winter but im in the somewhat temperate PNW. If you basement them you might want to water them like once or twice a month, and be careful about bringing pests inside that may be hiding in the substrate but other than that I think you should be fine. You can probably get them to fruit indoors even if you put them in a plastic tote and manage their humidity and air access

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

if you ever want to move stuff gravel will be very regretful if you ever need to mow that area again. plants love to grow between it too. cardboard+woodchips is cheap, fast, and easy.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Some plant I bought recently must have had some slug eggs in it because my balcony is absolutely overflowing with the bastards and I've never had a problem in many previous years :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I started a compost bin on my balcony last month, the perfect time for it to freeze. Seems to be working though as the center is warm even though the outside is frosty/crispy