Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does anybody know how long it normally takes for Moruga scorpion and Carolina reaper peppers to produce flowers, starting from seeds?

I've got some plants that've been growing about 8 weeks and are almost a foot tall right now. They have no flowers on them, but are otherwise healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flipperwaldt posted:

Moruga Scorpion
Carolina Reaper

That site classes both as "Extremely Late Season (120+ days)", which would suggest you're at best roughly halfway there. If I'm understanding that right.

Yeah that sounds about right. I remember reading before I planted them that exotic peppers like scorpions and reapers take a good while to bear fruit, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't doing anything that might hinder them.

I'm also growing some red savina habaneros in the same garden that just started producing flower buds about two weeks ago. And those flowers are only just now starting to bloom as of the last 24 hours or so.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm using one of these. These things own.

http://www.aerogarden.com

... or at least they WOULD own, if they didn't cost so drat much. And got a major design update. And came in models with room for more than 7 plants. :argh:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay it's been about 120 days now and my pepper plants are still bearing no fruit. HELLA flowers, but no fruit. Not even on the habaneros, which should've been the first to bear fruit by now.

Otherwise the plants look healthy, and are each about 2 ft tall.

At this point, I think the issue may be either a lack of space between plants (since all 7 pods of the AeroGarden have plants in them), or a lack of adequate pollination between the flowers, or both.

How do I get my plants to give me peppers?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So it's probably not a pollination issue, then.

Could it be a lack-of-space issue? Or are my peppers just slow?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Welp, I just had to cut down 3 of my 7 pepper plants. And it looks like the combined root systems have gotten so big they're actually pushing the lid of the water basin open, so I might just cut down the other 4 and try planting again from scratch. Except this time I might only try 4 pepper plants, instead of filling up space with 7.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I’m totally going to buy a bunch of these and grow some poo poo on the side of my house.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m already in the planning stages for a backyard garden when February rolls around. I’m gonna plant a whole bunch of herbs in a vertical garden on the side of my house, and some peppers, tomatoes, okra, and possibly tomatillos in a small bed.

In the meantime, I’m looking for stuff to plant over the winter. I was thinking onions and maybe some garlic, but I’m open to suggestions. What grows well in winter in zone 8b?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it too late in the year to start a container garden? I wanna grow some San Marzano tomatoes and a bunch of peppers, and when I have the money I want to set some of these up on the side of my house and grow herbs in them. I’m in Zone 8B in Texas.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 11, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pillow Armadillo posted:

If your summers are anything like mine on the other side of the Gulf, I'd wait until September to start those tomatoes from cuttings. My December container peppers are struggling to keep up with the afternoon heat, and that's without accounting for the coming insect swarms. Determinate, drought resistant cultivars will help you once they're growing, as will hanging baskets or trellises for the vines.

I don’t know if that’ll work. I’m hoping to move to another city in mid-to-late August.

I’m really hoping I can put together a small garden sometime soon this year. San Marzano tomatoes and okra in some huge empty cat litter buckets on my patio, like 12 different kinds of peppers in the ground along the south side of my house (I might put the tomatoes here too), and a whole lot of herbs on my house wall right near where I want to plant the peppers.

The ground on the south of my house is perfect for gardening. That area gets a ton of sun, it’s right near a hose spout, and the dirt was replaced with garden soil about a decade and a half ago as part of an ill-fated attempt to plant a vegetable garden. There’s a bunch of weeds growing there now, but hopefully once I hit all that with some organic herbicide I should be good to go.

EDIT: For the okra I’m trying to decide between Clemson spineless and Louisiana green velvet. I’m leaning toward the Clemson spineless, but I’m wondering if there’s anything I should know about either one of them. Like does one taste better than the other, or is one easier to grow/better for pickling/better for frying/better for gumbo/etc?

EDIT 2: I’m also wondering if there’s any benefit to using organic okra seed as opposed to conventional, or if it’s just personal preference.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 12, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m getting ready to start some veggies indoors. Mostly peppers but also some pumpkins, decorative squashes, and okra.

What’s a good brand of Scotch bonnet pepper seeds I can get online? Ferry Morse (my go-to seed brand) apparently doesn’t do Scotch bonnets, and I’ve learned over the years that not all seed brands are created equal.

EDIT: Pepperoncini seed recs would be nice too.

EDIT 2: Might as well get recommendations for soils and fertilizers too. I’m planting everything except the pumpkins and squash in big containers.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 12, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad got a gift card from a local plant nursery, and now we’re thinking about planting a fruit tree or two in our backyard.

Is this the thread to ask questions about fruit trees?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

cheese posted:

Go for it.

The answer to whatever your question is "Yes, plant Peach trees!"

Good because one of the trees I want to plant is a peach tree (the other is a gala apple tree).

What’s a good peach variety to grow in northeast Texas, Zone 8B, in an area that averages 750-800 chill hours per year? Based on what I’ve read, I think I’m looking for a yellow-flesh variety, maybe a freestone, with every potential food application out there. What varieties do they grow in Georgia?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 2, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is it too late in the year to plant peach trees? I know a lot of sources say to plant them between December and early March, but I live in a relatively warm area and I’m wondering if I can get away with planting a couple now. I’ve seen at least one source that implies early Spring is fine for planting.

I’m kinda leaning toward Red Haven and Elberta right now, both of which seem to grow well in my area.

cheese posted:

Stone fruit on the other hand is so nice to have at home. You can pick the handful of peaches that are perfectly ripe every day and never have to deal with bruising.

Does this happen to apply to cherries, too? I was gonna plant an apple tree, but now I’m thinking about a couple of (possibly dwarf) cherry trees instead. I like me some cherries.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 3, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hubis posted:

Amazon reviews have been helpful as always:

Did Lowtax write this review?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My dad just got some Jerusalem artichokes from one of my aunts, and I have to figure out where to plant them.

I know Jerusalem artichokes will grow in drat near any kind of soil and crowd anything next to them, but how much sun do they need? Google isn’t telling me poo poo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

They're related to sunflowers, so they probably want at least six hours of full sun a day.

gently caress... full sun space in my yard is kinda at a premium right now. I’ve already pretty much earmarked the last remaining spots for other poo poo. Like apple trees. And roses. And blueberries. And a peach tree. And those last two might already end up in dappled sun.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Anyone have giant pumpkin tips?

Or jack-o-lantern pumpkin tips, for that matter?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How is Cliven Bundy not in prison yet?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I asked this here before, but what’s a good source for Scotch bonnet pepper seeds? I usually only buy Ferry-Morse, but they don’t do Scotch bonnets.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There’s a cookbook from 1901 that has recipes for squirrel.

This cookbook

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

We just had a wooden fence in our yard replaced, and now there’s a big gap between the ground and the fence that I need to fill in with some dirt.

Should I bother putting a wooden board up against the fence first to act as a retaining wall before I put the dirt in? Our last fence had one and I’m wondering if this dirt is gonna erode if I don’t add one to the new fence.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yes do that. Depends on how big the gap is, but landscape timbers would work or 5/4 decking or even just fence slats. Make sure whatever you use is pressure treated for ground contact (it usually says somewhere on the sticker)

Is pressure treated for ground contact different from regular pressure treated?

I was gonna stick the wood into the little space between the fenceposts and the slats making up the actual fence, which is a little under 1” thick iirc.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

When is the earliest I can get away with planting a golden delicious apple tree for Fall planting? I’ve got two that are scheduled to arrive on the 15th of this month (I didn’t make this schedule) and I’m wondering if I need to call the nursery and push that back.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I completely forgot to mention I’m in zone 8b, although I think I’ve posted elsewhere enough that a lot of people know that already.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There is no fall planting in the SE. Get them delivered and planted in December.

Are they bareroot or in containers? Containers are probably fine-I’d just keep them in the containers on the porch or something till they go dormant and plant in December. Maybe pot them up a size if they seem rootbound.

They’re bare-root.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone shipping bareroot trees to the SE in the middle of August had better be prepared to replace them for free. I doubt they’d survive the back of the truck, much less hot, dry September in the ground.

It’s Stark Bros, so yeah they’ll replace for free. In fact they have a 125% money back guarantee now, so they actually pay me if my tree dies.

HOWEVER they’ve hosed up my golden delicious orders twice already, so I’m probably not gonna have them push this delivery back (because they may run out of stock before getting to me (again) if I do). Instead I’ll put them in pots until planting time. I just need to know what kind of soil to put them in in the pots; should it be just potting soil or a mix of potting and native soils?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Please tell me how to keep squirrels from stealing my peaches.

My peach trees set their first fruits last year, but only one single peach (between two trees) stayed on the branch long enough to fully ripen, and it loving vanished right before I got to pick it. :argh: This year both trees are putting out a lot more fruits and I wanna keep em all from getting stoled by fuckin rodents or whatever the gently caress else steals peaches so I can actually eat one of them this time.

How do I protect my fuckin peaches?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 25, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I saved a bunch of seeds from some Scotch bonnet peppers I used for my NICSA entry. Is there anything in particular I need to do to save them for planting?

I've got some of those Jiffy seed starter pod trays with the greenhouse lids, and I'm gonna put them in a south-facing window that gets a lot of sun. I might put a Hue bulb in the overhead light and set it to sunrise/sunset for some extra light just in case.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What is the paper towel trick?

I'm phoneposting on the Awful app and don't have a thread search bar right now.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Scotch bonnet pepper seeds - Tray 1, Week 6 or 7

Scotch bonnet pepper seeds - Tray 2, Week 0

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Speaking of seedlings, at what point should I transplant mine into slightly bigger containers?

I've got a bunch of small Jiffy biodegradable planter cups I can move my peppers into once they're big enough. About 8 of the 12 seedlings in my first tray are on their second pairs of leaves, with a few starting to grow their third pairs. I'm guessing it'll be another few weeks before I should start thinking about transplanting?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Jhet posted:

I would avoid the Jiffy cups for peppers as they need to be kept wetter than peppers tend to like, and finding equilibrium in them can be a good way to drown or dehydrate your seedlings. They also will allow the plants to grab on with their roots, but the cups need to be removed before planting as they take time in a hot compost to degrade. If you also keep the soil warm enough for the peppers, the cups will speed the evaporation as well and you'll be spending a lot of extra time babysitting the moisture levels.

mischief posted:

I hate the cups for peppers in particular, pretty much exactly like Jhet said. It's a neat idea in theory but in practice they will either kill a seedling or severely stunt a transplant almost every time. I usually just reuse plastic pots that have accumulated over the years and some fresh seed mix.

Alright then, no Jiffy cups! I'll find some cheap plastic things instead.

I just moved one of the smaller sprouts to a different pellet and the root is about an inch long or so, maybe slightly less. The roots on the bigger sprouts are probably a little longer than that.

EDIT: Welp, I just checked and the roots on the four biggest sprouts are coming out the bottom and sides big time. So I need to transplant those four ASAP.

Jhet posted:

How early can you plant them outdoors? You've started them earlier than I ever have by about 6 weeks, so I hope they can be planted in April.

I live in Zone 8B, so pretty mild winters here. Usually frost danger is gone by about late March or early April.

I've read that Scotch bonnets tend to prefer a warmer and more humid climate than other peppers, so I'll probably need to keep them in pots in little greenhouse enclosures outside. That way I can also move them indoors whenever it gets too cold.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 8, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

If your parent is gonna do outdoor planting, a sunlight calculator isn't a bad idea and is also pretty cheap.

Some people say they're unnecessary because holding your arm out and seeing if it casts a shadow works just as well, but those people are loving idiots because sunlight calculators measure light levels over a period of 12 hours, and I dunno about you but I sure as poo poo ain't gonna stand around outside with my arm up for half a loving day.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 9, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pro Tip: If you're gonna plant a tree (or even a bush more than about a foot or two tall), tape the calculator to the top of a gardening pole (you can get these at Home Depot for super cheap; they're usually green) or equivalent long thing you can put in the ground, and stick it in the ground until the calculator's sensor is up to about 3/5ths to 3/4ths the height of whatever you're planting. That way you'll know if the sun is adequate at the height of your plant, in case sun angle or shadows might be a factor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It's been about 10 days and my second pepper seed tray hasn't germinated yet. :argh:

Should I run out a buy a little heater pad for them? I didn't use one for my first tray and those seeds all look just fine. Alternatively, I have a little Vornado heater fan I can sit them in front of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Last year this happened to all of my Belle of Georgia peaches.

I don't have any later photos, but they all scaled up even more and shriveled up on the tree and died after this.

There were no survivors. :(

This tree just bloomed a few weeks ago and is now covered top to bottom with tiny little baby peaches. What killed my peaches last year, and do I still have any hope left of preventing it from happening again, now that my tree is fruiting again?