Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Calidus posted:

I am interested installing a utility sink, I have done some basic pvc plumbing but it’s mostly been repairs. There are existing hook ups copper pipes and a pvc drain but I would like to install the sink about 2ft to right. Can I just add about 2ft of pipe between the p trap and the wall without moving the existing installation?

Heck yeah great project. I just did one myself.

Probably the main thing that might challenge you is moving the drain that far, since the sinks themselves aren't really that big. You might have exposed pipe to the left of your sink that is suspect for getting hit or being in your way. Take a pic of what you got if you want advice.

Edit, since it's so fresh I thought I'd add what I learned. Utility sinks are deep, so the Roughin ends up lower than you'd expect or the tailpipe can be a lot shorter. I bought a cheap plastic one at home depot that came with everything. That is mostly fine except I was rough with it and broke the corner unpacking it. Oh did I mention it is deep? The supply connections are also a lot lower than I expected. I should have bought the sink first and did the plumbing after. What's weird is despite that being an issue they supply lines they shipped with were very short. Like they didn't extend beneath the tub at all, so I had to get longer ones.

Behold, my project that could have come out a lot better had I simply bought the sink first. I haven't sheetrocked it yet because transporting the drywall is annoying. So you get an xray view.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Lol the unintended consequences!

Dryer venting guidelines

I used one of these when I moved my dryer and I couldn't be happier, you probably won't have to go to that extent, they have really clear guidelines for venting if you actually have to do anything more than replacing the hose that connects the dryer to the vent piping.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Calidus posted:

That’s not a fire hazard or anything

Holy poo poo, so it really was pvc flex all the way out under there? Awful.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PageMaster posted:

I posted a while ago about my irrigation anti siphon valves and after basically being told they were 1) installed incorrectly/too low), 2) also complete garbage, so I've been looking at what to do in the meantime while I try to find a plumber that isn't doing whole house remodels or new construction here. Just trying to logic my way through this, is backflow risk only when the irrigation valve is open? If so, I could just leave them closed/turned off for now? It looks like they close by the inlet water filling a bonnet chamber above a diaphragm which pushes it down and stops water flow through the valve. Turning on the valve drains the chamber and the water pressure can then lift the diaphragm. I'm wondering if in the closed position, where there's basically supply water keeping the bonnet chamber full, and the only water pressure from the outlet side being water left in the irrigation line draining back to the valve). In a backpressure event, wouldn't the diaphragm stay closed since the bonnet chamber is still full? Also, wouldn't the remaining elevated water in the irrigation lines just drain back down and pour out the Atmospheric Vacuum breaker and make a mess, or does it collect in the vacuum breaker and basically hold it open? Understand it all still sucks if a siphon occurs while in operation since the water in the line wouldn't continue draining out and absolutely don't intend to just live with it, but want to make sure were safe until it gets done right.

Also, what's the go-to for outdoor hose bib backflow preventers? I see a bunch are screw-ons, and ours aren't built in, but don't want to get something cheap that is going to break or work like crap.

OK I was just researching this as I have one to plumb in after I had to temporarily disconnect it.

Backflow risk is when the valve TO the preventor (from the house) is open, there's not much pressure when none of your irrigation valves are open, and low risk. The situation when you get backflow is if the pressure drops in your house and the water from the irrigation feeds back into the house as there has been a vacuum created. If your irrigation is on timers, if you experience no pressure at the house for an extended period you have the risk then. It seems like you're expecting there to be high pressure on the exterior, when the real issue is lack of pressure on the inside, and the head pressure from the irrigation you have that is higher than the anti-siphon valve keeps it open and drains back to the house until it's drained lower than the anti siphon valve.

So ultimate solution is to raise the anti siphon valve.

Here's what I was reading, I found it well written and easy to follow.

https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/home-sprinkler-systems-backflow-prevention-devices-4-714/

For anything hose-bibb I always see Woodford specified on my projects and that's what I installed at my house. That could be partly related from them being based in Colorado and I'm based in Colorado. Something like a model 50 or model 34.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PitViper posted:

I'd prefer that to the way ours are done. All ours come up out of the floor :argh:

Like so:

Gonna be loads of fun when I'm tiling the bathroom floors next summer. I'd redo it, but 2/3 of the bathrooms have the toilet against an outside wall, which is why they're done this way I'm sure.

Yep I have this same issue. Two of three of mine stub right thru the floor and the one that comes from the wall is going to be relocated to the floor because I have to move the toilet to an outside wall for clearance issues. It'll be easier on the plumbing side and harder on the tiling and cleaning side. But that beats a frozen pipe when we have another three days at 15 below. My sink line kept icing up on the section on the outside wall and that was even after I Insulated the wall and pipe.

It's just so drat ironic to me. The ones that are floor stubs are on interior walls too. I strongly recommend if anyone stubs one on a wall now to make it like 9" above the floor to avoid the base.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PBCrunch posted:

I need to connect the warm water line for our Tushy bidet (the cold line connected to the toilet supply, easy-peasy). My wife wants a new faucet in the bathroom "while I'm in there". The pipes under the sink are all hard copper lines. I don't want to call a plumber and I don't want to learn how to solder copper plumbing. I do want to add quarter-turn ball valves for the cold and hot lines. There are no valves for the bathroom faucet currently.

Am I better off using compression fittings or Sharkbites to adapt to MNPT? I am aware that Sharkbites require cutting the pipe square and deburring the inside and outside of the pipe edge. I have tools for that. I work on my own old crappy cars, so the concept of compression fittings worries me a little (never use them on brake lines).

I've done all three, and compression fittings are just fine in my opinion. Solder made me feel the best, sharkbites spin on the fitting and that's annoying to me. Compression does require you to put some beans into it when tightening, and I've never had an issue with it. The worst part of compression is replacing one and getting the old ring off, although someone probably has a good tip for that.

I'm impressed there are no valves currently though. Is it just some reducer fitting soldered on?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Nitrox posted:

This is where push connect valves are the most useful, just get the sharkbite or whatever brand is available near you. You'll be done in no time

Sort of? That doesn't look stubbed far enough out to put a valve directly onto the pipe, so you're looking at a union, scrap of pipe, then a valve. Provided there's even a big enough hole to get the union through the wall.

And. it wasn't until now that I realized that's a photo up at the bottom of the sink and I have no idea what the wall connection looks like, that could just as well be the supply line going through drywall to a mystery connection!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Motronic posted:

Yes, some people repeatedly recommend exactly that fantastically bad idea in this thread and others. Usually with a "but but if the pipe is cut exactly square they're fine."

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I solder all my buried connections and some of the exposed ones too. My main complaint is how expensive they are. I don't expect them to last forever, I also don't expect them to fail anytime soon. I'll write back when they do, assuming the forums are around in another 20 years.

Click here for the scariest product you'll ever see

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
One justifiable application I had was a spot I couldn't get flame to safely. It was in the back bottom corner of my kitchen cabinet and I am not ready to move the cabinet, but eventually I will and it'll get replaced.

The next was under a bath cabinet that I anticipate replacing in the next year. I wanted to try it versus a compression fitting. I treat all supply valves as disposable anyway, they usually fail open.

I used a ball valve in a spot for my irrigation supply from inside the house. It's above an unfinished basement with a drain, glad I did since I ended up having to cut that pipe out and replace it, I was able to pull the valve and set it again.

House's aren't permanent. Most of the plumbing homeowners touch can easily be replaced and isn't anticipated to last 60 years. People don't replace seats in faucets anymore, it's just replacing with new fixtures in 20 years or at the changes of ownership. I'd never do a whole house in sharkbites.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just finished up soldering new supply for my toilet I had to rotate 90 degrees. I moved the supply for the hall bathroom too since the access was better, it comes through the wall and not the floor now, although I bonered that one a bit and it's crooked. I lost the ambition to fix it. I'll do that tomorrow.

I had my wife take turn on the valve while I was upstairs to watch for leaks. Before she could help she had to use the toilet, I told her OK but don't flush please. Over the phone I asked her if it was silent or making noise. She said yeah a little. I started feeling every joint but didn't see any leaks, then I asked her if she flushed. The toilet was filled by then and it went quiet. Success!

And I'm minus one sharkbite in the house. Also plus one ugly hole in the floor but that's temporary.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

melon cat posted:

Any cool tradesmen tips for applying PVC cement into smaller (0.5” to 1”) pipes without creating a god awful mess of drippy PVC glue? The puffball on a stick applicator that comes with PVC cements is always too big for smaller diameter pipes. And

*insert black and white infomercial transition*

there has to be a better way!!

Yeah like, let it drip off the applicator as much as you can. And follow the instructions exactly, wipe the pipe, then the fitting, then the pipe again. If the puffball is dry enough it shouldn't be too much glue.

I did like 10-15 fittings in two inch pipe this month and then one three inch fitting and was shocked at how much more surface area there was to cover.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just accidentally spilled the trap to my shower when I was removing it. I threw up a little in my mouth from the smell.

The upside of the whole thing, it came loose from the fitting so I just had to clean it up to replace the piping. No heat, no saw, no union. Just glue up.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Chas McGill posted:

Not sure if there are any UK based folk here, but I need help identifying a mains shower that was installed back in 2013 and has no identifying features on the outside. The original installer hasn't responded to my queries trying to find out even the manufacturer. I understand I pretty much need to remove the tiles etc to replace the shower if I can't find the model.

Aware there's a very small chance of anyone knowing what this is, but I appreciate any thoughts.

I'm guessing it's unlikely to have any identifying information on the internals if it's removed?

You never said what your goal was on it, so I don't know what you're trying to do but it sure looks like this one:

https://victoriaplum.com/product/mode-harrison-square-twin-thermostatic-shower-valve

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jaded Burnout posted:

Quick waste drainage question; when it comes to outdoor soil pipes, is it necessary to always have a vent pipe "upstream" of the traps, or is it adequate to have a single main vent for the system?

I'm intending to put in a 4" vent pipe going from the main outflow below ground up to an appropriate height on the external wall, but there are some upstairs fittings for a bathroom including a toilet that will be at the upper end of a branch. Not sure if there needs to be a vent further up to prevent issues with the traps or if the lower vent is OK.

What the heck is an outdoor soil pipe?

There are very clear tables in the IRC that address how many fixtures can be attached to vent stacks. The number that can go on a 3" pipe is A LOT.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Illuminado posted:

This is my idea for the layout. I don't know if I need the arrestors in place with a modern valve. I was planning on using teflon tape on all the threaded fittings.

Before I start I figured I'd ask in here and take inventory of everything, anyone have any advice? Am I forgetting anything? Thoughts? Prayers?

I want to echo the reccomendation above of using a valve body with stops, I just put one in and it's handy to testing etc and barely costs anything more. I'm using Delta brand.

I doubt you need hammer arrestors. Those are for electrically operated valves that can shut full off instantly. Refrigerators, coffee machines, ice makers, irrigation, washing machines, dishwashers. Anything you do by hand is closing slow enough that you can't get a hammer. My outside valve doesn't need it until I put a timer on it and it hammers hard when it shuts off. A lot of the appliances listed don't use water fast enough either to get much of a hammer, like dishwashers or fridges. It's about velocity and momentum with a sudden stop.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
No. Cap them with a plastic bag and a rubber band.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We're on a well in a drought-prone (not after this winter, but we need to stay prepped for the future) area of California. We have a builder's special nozzle on the downstairs shower. It gives forth a single narrow jet of water that isn't great for, say, washing your legs or rinsing your hair.

Does anybody have a favorite low-water-use nozzle that has a wider spray, or gives the impression of more water? The Moen that has the laminar-flow thing isn't legal in California.

What are the requirements for gpm where you live?

Delta advertises a H20Kinetic that uses some tactic to feel like more water use than it uses. I don't have it so I suppose that's not a ton of help but maybe a direction to help you.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Arsenic Lupin posted:

1.8 GPM. The lowest an H20Kinetic will go is 1.85. Why that extra .05? :iiam: This isn't even about my ethics; Moen and Delta won't ship to a California address.

e: Wirecutter likes the Kohler 22169-G-BN Forte Showerhead; anybody used one?

Interesting, I was looking through the Delta catalog and noted most of them are available at 1.75gpm and that must have been to clear under 1.8 minimum. Perhaps look again?

Delta Website posted:

Most Delta, Brizo and Peerless shower devices that comply with the 2.0 gpm standard have been converted to 1.75 gpm and are in compliance with the 1.8 gpm standard. This is a running change for most models with no change to model numbers. All 1.75 gpm products will be WaterSense® labeled and marked with a green sticker on the individual box and outer carton.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

We're getting our bathroom redone and the contractor wants to replace everything, but we like the old handles and spouts on the sink and tub. Is it unreasonable to try and save these parts for aesthetic reasons? They're possibly like 60-100 years old and go well with the arts and crafts bungalow style, but I guess there's some buildup and/or corrosion in the guts.

If this seems ignorant, I know nothing about plumbing, interchangeability of parts etc.

"I would like you to give me a price to refurbish and reinstall the existing fixtures and an alternate price to replace them with the following make and models, which I can opt for at a later date if the existing fixtures are unable to be reused."

If they won't do that, you don't have to use them. If you can't find another contractor who will, you've learned you have an adversarial relationship with this contractor and proceed accordingly as a client.

I say that because the request is pretty gentle, and gives them easy outs and a chance to replace it anyway. They can come back and tell you it needs seals at seats that are no longer available or they're too broken or cost more than expected so the old ones are out. Feel free to go research on your own and check before deciding. And it protects you by locking in the prices now. There's a thousand ways to screw you over on this, in the world of negotiation you'll have to decide if the pricing is fair early on. If it's a bad alternate price to begin with then you're in trouble no matter what.

Edit: sorry I have a lot of thoughts on contractors in general as I am one... At the end of the day you're making an agreement between two people. You may or may not get everything you want but you should get a quality finished product you're both proud of. If the faucets are in poor shape and detract from the overall look of the room, it might not be worth it.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 3, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Thanks for the tips. I guess I was thinking that older worn parts might have better craftsmanship than most new stuff, or that we can't find similar looking fixtures, but now it seems like neither is necessarily true.

After some more searching around, I can get handles that match these, but the spouts to match them are harder to find (for me). Open to suggestions as I am a hopeless goon and my wife, the one with good taste, is starting to get overwhelmed by all of the choices in the remodel.

You can do some mix and matching then, potentially. The tub spout is an easy thing to keep and reuse, it's a dumb hunk of metal. It doesn't have a diverter so you'll need a diverter plumbed in if this is a shower. Same as what you have now.

The sink spout may be more difficult, it may hook up easily to a new set of widespread handles or it may need an adapter or two. Have them removed carefully and you can spend some time polishing them and see what you think.

The relationship may be a somewhat tricky thing to manage considering he's a family friend. At the end of the day, it's your house and you're paying for something. "Mike, you're right that there are cheaper and easier ways to do this. I like this house and I like the craftsmanship of wood windows and higher quality finishes. If you're not comfortable installing it I can find someone else, which would be better for both of us." If you all are adults this isn't that harsh. It's a business decision and most folks can separate that. Usually you don't have to say the last part out loud, and it is implied. "Mike, are you able to install wood windows?"

All contractors I don't know are named Mike. My apologies if his name is Mike.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bobua posted:

I've managed to snake a camera down the drain, i can see where the water is pooling in the p-trap, so its at least a slow leak if it is leaking.

When I flush the toilet, the water gets quite a bit of movement. I can't say how much exactly, but its not slight, its not from rattling pipes or anything, there's some churn, but its definitely not sucking all the water out\clearing the p-trap.

Is that movement normal? is it an indicator that the bathtubs vent is vine but maybe the toilets isn't, and gas is coming back through the bathtub somehow or something?

Did you check the vent like Motronic recommended? Get up on the roof and look in it with a flashlight. Chances are if it's clogged it's at the top.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

NotNut posted:

How do you get to water supply lines under sinks to unscrew them? The quarters are too tight for me to fit a normal wrench around the basins of either of my sinks.

Remove the faucet from the sink and do it loose.

And yes, use a basin wrench to get the nut for the faucet off.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Epitope posted:

Does this flange need to be screwed down?

Yes.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Whatever dumbshit "renovated" my house never secured the toilet flange to the subfloor.

Very common for some reason. People think the weight of the toilet is enough I guess?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have what I hope is a dumb question.

Installing a connection elbow for my shower wand. The requirements are that the nipple is between 1/16 and 3/16 from the face of finished surface. Currently it's at 5/16. If the nipple is MIP threading can I cut this down by a little to make it work? I'm assuming I can because it's straight threaded but I'm just not that confident. It's fully seated in the elbow in the wall which is NPT and I assume this Delta hand wand elbow is also npt but I have no way to measure it.

Edit, I checked the specs and yes te Delta elbows are NPT

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

StormDrain posted:

I have what I hope is a dumb question.

Installing a connection elbow for my shower wand. The requirements are that the nipple is between 1/16 and 3/16 from the face of finished surface. Currently it's at 5/16. If the nipple is MIP threading can I cut this down by a little to make it work? I'm assuming I can because it's straight threaded but I'm just not that confident. It's fully seated in the elbow in the wall which is NPT and I assume this Delta hand wand elbow is also npt but I have no way to measure it.

Edit, I checked the specs and yes te Delta elbows are NPT

Well that was a dumb question. The correct answer to my problem is to get two threaded copper fittings, a scrap of pipe, and sweat my own nipple.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
What's up it's ya boy the clown plumber. Using sweat to npt fittings the shortest nipple I can make is 2-1/4". You'd think I would have checked how long I needed it to be and perhaps checked that out before I left the store I didn't want to go to but alas, I need one about 1-3/4". Back I go to get an inside fitting to match my outside fitting and make the most obnoxious nipple this side of Vegas.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I AM GRANDO posted:

I have an extremely basic question that I can’t google my way to answering:

My bathroom sink drains slowly up to a certain point as water comes from the faucet faster than it can go down the drain, then empties quickly all the way if I let the water run long enough and allow a large enough volume of water to fill up the basin. After that, it starts draining slowly again and water once more fills up in the basin.

This is annoying to deal with. Is it something drain cleaner would fix, or just an engineering feature of the sink? I ask because I don’t want to damage the pipes and because the p-trap (maybe there’s another name for a trap that is a full loop) under the sink actually goes in a full loop-the-loop, like this one:

I did an image search to find that one, which is in a kitchen rather than a bathroom, but the shape is identical. I could imagine that the full loop means that some water would have to build up to force its way through a full loop, and that if the sink were draining slowly because of buildup, I’d never get to a moment where the sink empties completely and drains quickly for a moment. Should I just see if like liquid plumr or drano will make a difference, or is it all down to the shape of the trap?

Does yours also have an air admittance valve?

I have a feeling it's related. A go ogling here has suggested it may be clogged further down partially and that is causing back pressure and the valve won't open. My rudimentary application of fluid dynamics with your story is saying perhaps enough pressure of a full sink is able to do something and force it by, then low pressure when it's empty and it fails again.

So in summary, what the other poster said. Has this always been like this or new? Do any other fixtures have trouble draining? Can you test and see? Sometimes we get clogged pipes on sinks that don't get used much so we don't experience the symptoms. It's not often I drain a full sinks worth in my half bath for instance. Apply the scientific method to all of your fixtures and see what develops. Flush the toilet twice back to back. Pour a give gallon bucket down each sink. Get this sink draining and when it goes faster pour a bucket in and see if it maintains.

The solution to most draining issues is to hit it with a snake.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

Yeah.

Unscrew the gooseneck from the wall end and buy a new one.

This is the way.

I'm assuming from the galling on the shower head that you've either already tried using the nearly correct tool, a pair of channel locks. Or, alternately, Gary did with the force of a chimp, and it's there for good.

And use a rag in the Jaws of your pliers next time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

tangy yet delightful posted:

If I use this wye/bend piece to create a connection point for the french drain, is that the best way to go about it or should I use some different combination of pipe pieces?

Something that is kind of annoying is that you won't have enough pipe to set into the fitting, unless you are able to lift the pipe up and slide it down into the flange. So keep that in mind. You may end up using a fernco rubber fitting or a slip joint to splice some pipe together, so also put a chunk of 3" pipe on your list. In longer words just in case that was lost: cut out the pipe, glue the wye on a stub you left on the bottom PVC, and slide the top pipe back into it IF it is able to be lifted and dropped. Plan your cut accordingly. If you can't drop it, cut a longer section out, and glue in a stub to the top of the wye that matches the pipe above and put the slip/repair fitting on, then put it in place and glue together.

IMO don't buy that socket drilling until you absolutely need it. Plumbers typically melt the fittings out, and there's also a chance you can just pull it out because it's not glued (never was or glue failed) on any job you do. It just seems like something you'd buy and spend $20 and have it around forever and never use or use once and take up space the rest of the time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Nitrox posted:

Most likely trying to unspin the garage disposal ring with a screwdriver and a hammer.

As for shark bite removal, these are great for hard to reach areas

https://a.co/d/f1gXlsx

Beat me to it. Those clamp tools are far easier to use than the little ring they claim will loosen it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Leperflesh posted:

there I fixed it

This looks weird with the hot and cold labels on the round thing but gently caress it it fit.

I had purchased a new spout and cut a half inch off the back to account for the shorter pipe, and it turns out that the roundel thingy is actually recessed by a quarter inch so I had to go buy another new spout and take just a quarter inch off the back so that was another $20 wasted.

I had thought that the silicone wouldn't be strong enough to hold the little bits of wood in place well enough to screw into, but after curing overnight it actually was just stiff enough for the screws to bite so I wound up not needing to epoxy it.

Since I had the oscillating tool and silicone out anyway I went ahead and carved away grout around the tub to tile interface and re-caulked that too.

Still looks old and poo poo but at least it doesn't leak any more. I mean, probably. Maybe it's spraying gallons of water into the wall now. I don't care. If I can't see it it's not happening, right?

I know you're done so I can't help you but in general, I think it's very interesting that you cut the back of the spout off. It's been a few years but as I recall most of these just grip onto a pipe using a set screw. I would probably have gotten a threaded male and soldered that onto a copper pipe and cut that to length. Or if you wanted to stick with that one that was threaded... two male fittings and a section of copper pipe.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

thank you for your reply on this but i'd like to add a real shutoff valve to this since it would make any replacement in the future much easier. i'm confused as to why the installation is currently set up the way it is...they routed the pipe back outside the drywall and covered it with foam to prevent freezing.

can i buy a sharkbite ball valve and place it on the right side, which would then go pex to 90* elbow and pex to sillcock and keep it all tucked inside the wall (except the knob for the valve). i think the 90 elbow would need to be braced, right?

It's just the geometry of the wall hydrant. The seat has to be inside the wall and a 2x4 wall isn't deep enough to accommodate everything. At best you'll be tight up inside the drywall but I doubt you'll get it all to fit the way you are thinking. There's also a benefit of having the additional distance and mass inside the insulation. If it's halfway in the wall it's half as much insulation. Copper is going to conduct heat and cool off as well, so the added depth and insulation helps.

Rig up whatever you want, just be sure to put you valve higher than the outlet so it'll drain. It's not necessary but doesn't hurt. No different than before don't forget to unhook your hose and drain it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Every ten minutes, precisely, there is a sound from my walls that sounds a little like the scraping of someone dragging a trash bin down a driveway. This is often accompanied by a water-ish sound, like the gurgle-thump of when you turn off the shower or flush the toilet.

The sound is coming from one specific portion of wall, on a side of the house that has no interior water fixtures, but very close to an external drain pipe of some kind (I don't know what it drains, but it's PVC and goes underground about six inches from the house).

I thought it might just be air in the pipes, so I tried bleeding the system, but either I did it wrong (the most likely answer) or it's something other than air. But, I've had the repair service out here to fix something five times in the last 10 weeks, and I really don't want to call them again, so I'd like to DIY this more before I call.

If I try to bleed the system again, letting the water run longer and making sure to open all the appliances and outdoor spigots (I didn't run the washer, dishwasher, or fridge last time, and I also didn't do anything outside), can I cause more damage than I'm fixing?

Last time, I turned off the main water valve, opened all the sinks and tubs (in order, starting nearest the valve), and let them run for about ten minutes. There wasn't any sputtering, and the water didn't stop running, so I may not even have used the correct shutoff! After ten minutes I turned the water main back on, and then waited a few minutes, and turned everything off in reverse order. Is there a better way? Is there anything else I should try before calling in the professionals?

Do you have a sump pump? The description of the pipe sounds like you do. Could be back feeding through a failed check valve? The precisely 10 minutes thing is throwing me a bit.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I do have a humidifier, and it took a while to get used to the various sounds!

I don't want to speak too soon, but I think this was just my first experience with the sump pump. By the time I got home from after-work errands the noises were every 22 minutes, and after an hour or so of that they steadily spaced further apart. By bedtime, we'd gone about an hour and a half between, and I haven't heard it yet this morning.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

Good! The fact that the interval is slowing also helps eliminate a short circuit of water where it gets dumped next to the house and leeches right back into the same sump pit to get pumped again. Younger me cut the outlet short because it was interfering with my lawn mowing and I had this problem. I solved it by adding a removable extension to it. It was ugly but functional.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Toilet Chat:

I have this exact toilet:
https://www.costco.com/ove-decors-irenne-elongated-smart-bidet-toilet-with-remote-control.product.100491730.html
And it's good! I got it on sale for $800 but no telling if that price is ever attainable again, I ordered it two years ago. It's been installed now for about 8 months.

The pros: The lid lifts automatically. The spray settings are good, effective. Warm fan can be hot enough that it's uncomfortable.
Cons: There's not an auto setting for the night lights so it doesn't get used often. The tank is entirely cosmetic. it operates on a flush valve. Not really an issue by any means but if I knew that I would have opted for one without a fake tank and just had one of the egg shapes.

It also came with it's own valve to install which is a good thing since that helps it operate (higher flow) but you should know that's part of the install.

For my next bathroom I think I'll opt for a Toto Drake II with a Washlet on it despite enjoying this one. I tried one out at a friends house and I particularly like having saved settings.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Mine came with a 9v battery backup, so I guess I could just take the ones out of the smoke detectors if that died.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm a little annoyed that the side handle faucets don't follow any convention. Mine isn't labeled, and I don't see labels on the supply hoses so hot is back towards the backsplash and cold is toward the user. The one in my office is marked and is the opposite. The one in Virginia Slams house is labeled and follows my convention.

Obviously my way is right, I can't imagine why anyone would want the easiest way for little hands to turn it on to be hot. (I figure a child who can barely reach it would have a tendency to pull the handle forward if they wanted a glass of water and that the safest outcome means that should be cold).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

Related question: what is it that determines the need for an expansion tank on a hot water system? I've literally never seen one on any residential installation.

It's a local city requirement where I live near Denver. My house didn't have one and I didn't have one in my last house either. I knew I needed one here though since every time I turned the water on it surged and then calmed down. Anything that could expand and hold a higher pressure was, such as washing machine hoses, supply hoses to sinks and toilets.