Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hello!

I recently watched Master and Commander again, and then listened to the unabridged audiobook (which is cool but different), and concluded that my childhood obsession with sailing ships appears to have returned. I was going to spend $200+ to get a vintage LEGO pirate ship on eBay, but then realized that maybe I should actually build a more accurate scale model that I can paint myself.

Having wasted hundreds or thousands of dollars on painted hundreds or thousands of Warhammer miniatures in my time I'm pretty comfortable with attaching pieces of stuff together and painting them, but I feel like my Games Workshop/P3/other acrylic minis paint may not be the best option for painting a sailing ship, especially because it requires priming with primer that can obscure the fine details.

So, assuming that I do want to keep using acrylic paints, what can you recommend for primers that don't risk destroying details, and what paint would you recommend I use on something like this:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/revell-germany-uss-constitution-plastic-model-sailing-ship-kit-1:146-scale-05472

Or should I just suck it up (blow it out) and finally get an airbrush? There's so much fine detail on sailing ships I can't imagine I'd get TOO much use out of it, but...eh. Maybe it's worth it if I want to do more than one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

The Locator posted:

If you are going to do this, man up and go all in, make this one - http://www.amazon.com/Model-Shipways-Constitution-Long-MS2040/dp/B01GIFZQ1I or this one http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/ussconstitution.htm or even this one! https://www.model-space.com/us/build-uss-constitution-us.html

:v:

Don't do this, 90%+ complicated wooden ships never get finished if they are your first wooden ship. Start simple if wooden ships interest you at all.

I already have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Lindberg-130-scale-Jolly-Roger/dp/B000N3NT5C that my grandfather (RIP) got me when I was like 8 that I partly assembled but never finished. I kind of want to finish it, except the parts of it that are painted are done in gross Testor's enamels that I never want to use again if I can help it, and also I am a WAY better painter now 20+ years and 1000+ miniatures later.

But seriously a wooden model would be cool, however, I would rather do something smaller and cheaper now while I am still a grad student and then save the 3' long wooden model for, I dunno, retirement?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You're current acrylics would be just fine to paint the parts of a sailing ship. You'd be painting wood, and wood is probably the most forgiving surface to put paint on. Primer isn't really required either. It won't hurt to use it, but it's not really needed like it is for plastics and resins.

Well I would rather go with a plastic model at present, for cost reasons if nothing else.

EDIT: okay I will look at Tamiya--I know their paints are much better than the overpriced GW crap, for sure.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 28, 2018

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah that looks really cool but I think the idea of starting with a smaller project is a good one.

Little boats look cool too!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Fearless posted:

I love how this thing looks fast just sitting there.

Wow, no kidding. That looks like a great project!

Remind me, have you seen/been on the Bluenose II ever? And to what extent are you using reference photos vs plans vs kit direction?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Can you do very light grey? I think realistically you will have to do some cutting, regardless.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Also, is he making the "OK" sign with his (unrealistically large) right hand?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey I want to build a model ship. I know I posted to that effect a few years ago, but I think I’m specifically interested in 1:700 warships from like 1906-1936 and I want to start with the HMS Hood.

I’ve done a bunch of Warhams so I’m reasonably comfortable with putting together and painting small things, but I don’t have any airbrush or photo etch experience—is there a good starter guide for that stuff?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you don't want to do photo etch, this is a pretty good Hood model, according to Fine Scale Modeler.

https://finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2008/02/trumpeter-1-700-scale-hms-hood-1941-flagship

For photo etch guides, World of Wayne Youtube channel, he does larger scale stuff with bigger photo etch parts, but shows how he removes them from the sprue and glues them. Some people solder photo etch, but that seems a little advance for the first go.

The way some build threads I’ve seen tell it, photo etch is mandatory but I wouldn’t mind being spared the trouble on my first miniature build in a while. The last Warhams I did (both fantasy and 40,000) were like 2015, and I stopped because I just had no time to play, didnt really like the game itself, and didn’t want to start a new minis game.

1/700 is very small I grant but it also means less storage space required, right?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I mean if I can't fit the entire British line from the Battle of Jutland into a single bookshelf then what's even the point???

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah I realize it’s not as easy as Ultimate Admiral makes it, but it’ll be nice to have something to keep me busy in the winter when it’s too cold for carpentry and woodworking outdoors in the evening.

I suppose I could always do PE for stuff like railings but go with resin or 3D print for others.

Oh, and also wooden decking—anyone have experience with that?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Right, yeah...this HMS Hood 1/700 package looks pretty good, though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/203563954447

It's got PE and wooden decking, plus the model itself, for under $100.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

tidal wave emulator posted:

Yeah absolutely, anything that involves cages, cranes etc or is essentially a series of folded planes really pops as PE as it gives you a combination of intricate detail and very sharp edges that aren't close to possible to 3D printing nevermind injection moulding.

The antennae I made for my HMS Glamorgan a couple years back and the masts for my recent Hermes were probably the single most involved parts of the builds but I think they pay off.

See, that actually looks like a lot of fun to me, so I’m encouraged by what everyone’s saying about photo etch.

What tools do I need to work with it effectively?

Should I maybe practice with a Metal Earth model to get a feel for bending metal?

I did go ahead and buy the Flyhawk kit, though my main build for the next few months is going to be a 1:1 scale sailboat for me to take my family out in. Not a model, so not suitable for this thread alas.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
My Flyhawk 1/700 Hood arrived today and it looks amazing. Soooo many tiny bits. The wood decking is sweet.

I need to work out what gets assembled before painting, and what needs painted before assembly.

Oh also…any good primer and airbrush recommendations? I’m planning to go with Tamiya paints.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey, I need a little help with cleaning -- I have this plastic cement:

There's plenty of it left, but it won't come out the metal tip. I imagine a little bit of it has hardened or crystallized inside the thin tip and is blocking it.

What solvent(s) could I use to flush it out? It seems too narrow to use a pin or a needle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Lizard Combatant posted:

I just pass a lighter up and down the needle for a few seconds, that clears it out.

Smoke posted:

The lighter method is commonly used and works well, I would suggest ventilation though. Personally I've got a piece of thin copper wire that just happens to fit perfectly in there to unclog it.

Ah, okay, I'll try one and then the other -- I might be able to scrounge up a small enough pin somewhere in the sewing cabinet.

e: lighter seems to work, thanks y'all!

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 4, 2024