Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Would you want to drink water that’s been sitting out in a pan for a week? That would probably make the cat sick. At least the water is circulating and going through a filter with the fountain.

Yeah, I don't have a fountain because they always break really quickly on me, but I change the water and swap the bowl for a clean one daily. We do have 4 cats drinking out of ours so it gets gross a bit sooner than with one cat, but those little fuckers like to dip their litter-caked paws in there so I'd still do it even with 1 cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I don't have a fountain because they always break really quickly on me, but I change the water and swap the bowl for a clean one daily. We do have 4 cats drinking out of ours so it gets gross a bit sooner than with one cat, but those little fuckers like to dip their litter-caked paws in there so I'd still do it even with 1 cat.

AquaPurr is the way to go
https://aquapurr.com

I don't have room in my new apartment and it sucks. We didn't put it in our bathroom sink cause the idea is a little gross but now he drinks from my hands whenever I'm washing there so maybe we should just accept our fate. It's so gross having a cat but wygd.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why is this cat knocking on my door in the middle of the night?

This is not my cat.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
yet!

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Funny, that’s how we just got our second FIV positive cat. Actually, it’s more of a kitten.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Why is this cat knocking on my door in the middle of the night?

This is not my cat.

Please help it :( poor thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
How do I help it? It chatted with my cats for a bit but when I tried to put out some food it sauntered off and peesimably never returned sinxe the food is still there this morning.

I am guessing its rhe same animal as the kitten I saw briefly on the aide of the road last fall, before it disappeared into aomeones backyard. Glad to know it survuved this long, at least.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Would you want to drink water that’s been sitting out in a pan for a week? That would probably make the cat sick. At least the water is circulating and going through a filter with the fountain.

I thought we were talking about bakup water sources if you are traveling and worried your fountains would crap out. I thought a pan was preferable to drinking out the shitter in that situation.

Fountains4Lyfe

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

cash crab posted:

meet my new children, carol and tandy. in the 40 hours since i have had them they have somehow turned on bittorrent web (??), established a hierarchy (i am at the bottom) and developed a very strict routine. all hail carol and tandy.

almost four month update with carol and tandy!

they officially have personalities. a friend told me tandy reminds her of steve holt. carol is very loving weird. they have cost me way more money than i ever expected mostly thanks to carol's tenuous health for a while, who seems to be out of the woods now and is currently on her second breakfast. neither of them appear to be trying to get a job yet.

e: the weird litter problem tandy had is (mostly) resolved, and i was never able to install a baby gate properly, but they have no interest in going outside at all. for them it is simply the portal in which mother goes to disappear for a while.

cash crab fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 14, 2024

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
They're very cute moochers

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
This might be an extremely stupid question, but I've had my cat for 8 years (since she was about 2 months old) and she has never hissed at me until this month. My roomie got a new cat, and they're getting along, but twice these last couple weeks she's hissed at me for pissing her off. I know I'm probably just a softie but I'm genuinely kind of surprised she started getting THIS mad at me. Is... is hissing something she learned from the new cat? Or am I just specifically making her THIS MAD and it took her 8 years to finally say something? :ohdear:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If I had to guess, it's probably just a reaction to ambient stress in the environment? It's pretty normal for cats to end up lashing out at random targets in their vicinity when they're under stress. I imagine she'll calm down as she gets more used to the new status quo.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

James is back from the hyperthyroid clinic, and very happy to be home. Also he seems to have gone into remission for the diabetes! For the last several nights at the clinic, and when I got him home, his glucose levels were perfectly normal and the vet didn't give him any insulin at all.

So things are great! The only downside is that it's another two weeks before I can snuggle him for more than 5-10 minutes a day, once his radiation levels drop off.

I missed him. And funny thing, in his absence his brother took on the roles of both Good Cop and Bad Cop when it comes to dinnertime. Usually James is Bad Cop, who screams and screams for early dinner, while Wolfy butters me up with purrs and headbuts. With James gone, Wolfy stepped up to supply the missing screaming, and still kept up the purrs and headbutts. What a trooper.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
Whats the current goon recommended automatic litter box? For one cat.
I see https://www.litter-robot.com/uk/litter-robot-4.html and https://popur.com/ seem to be popular?

Are they worth it as they are a little expensive?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wibble posted:

I see https://www.litter-robot.com/uk/litter-robot-4.html and https://popur.com/ seem to be popular?

I think the litter robot is the only one I've seen really liked by people, but there's still issues with them. I have a 3, the 4 is out now, I'd just read reviews and watch youtube about it etc. You definitely still need to maintain the machine a little (cleaning) but it's nothing like having a normal litter box. If my 3 broke I'd buy another one immediately, probably try the 4.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I have a litter robot 3 and love it. With the caveat that it had a major technical issue that required a warranty exchange, but since then it's worked great.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
My spouse does not belive me when I tell him my Pound Cake knows the look on my face and knows exactly what I want. Seriously I can just look at him and he knows. Maybe it has something to do with my pupils or my eyebrows? I really don't know - but I guess when having a cat for 9 years he kinda learns the manerisms.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

wibble posted:

I'm literally just now getting rid of my litter robot 4, because I hate it hate it hate it hate it. See my posts ITT for my complaints.

That said, if your biggest dislike is scooping cat litter and you don't mind throwing away a lot of plastic bags to deal with it, though, it does undeniably work as advertised. I wanted it for its other features, and wanted to use biodegradable bags, and that didn't work out.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 17, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm literally just now getting rid of my litter robot 4, because I hate it hate it hate it hate it. See my posts ITT for my complaints.

That said, if your biggest dislike is scooping cat litter and you don't mind throwing away a lot of plastic bags to deal with it, though, it does undeniably work as advertised. I wanted it for its other features, and wanted to use biodegradable bags, and that didn't work out.

I use these in the LR3 and have no complaints, they sure are bags.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huh.

The two different manufacturers I tried both turned out to be permeable to cat waste.

Hm.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

This is not my cat.

But you are now its human.

Dienes posted:

Fountains4Lyfe

My sister handed me down a BigDog water fountain:

The tank on the back lasts my 4 cats for weeks and if it ever stops working the bowl up front remains accessible. Probably overkill for most people but it's working well in my case.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

VelociBacon posted:

I use these in the LR3 and have no complaints, they sure are bags.

Hm. How frequently do you change bags?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Hm. How frequently do you change bags?

I have one cat, change bags every 4-6 days I would say. I bet if you had multiple cats, and thus couldn't let the LR wait fifteen minutes before rotating, the litter wouldn't be as dry as in my situation. Wet litter might make these bags degrade faster.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I should probably try those, I've been lazy and just been using standard tall kitchen bags. It gets full every 2 days with 4 cats, although that varies based on how many fosters we have at the time.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Takes No Damage posted:

The tank on the back lasts my 4 cats for weeks and if it ever stops working the bowl up front remains accessible. Probably overkill for most people but it's working well in my case.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I have this one specifically because if the power goes out, the water is still accessible by the cat, and it's 100 oz:

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Drin...ps%2C265&sr=8-9
I ultimately decided to go with a Drinkwell one (though not the model either of you suggested) because it leaves water out if the electricity fails. With two of them my cat will have water for a while even if the power goes out and my Emergency Backup Person does not show up for some reason.

Thank you both very much, and also to VelociBacon, Khizan, xzzy, Rotten Red Rod, Nuclear Tourist, Coolness Averted, Dienes, GlyphGryph and mawarannahr for taking the time to offer suggestions and help. It is very much appreciated. I had choice paralysis when trying to figure this out on my own so really, thanks.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 17, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Takes No Damage posted:

How hygienic is it to recirculate 4 weeks of water?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's fully treated from a municipal source it's probably not a big deal. It'll get stale tasting due to absorbing compounds from the atmosphere but there's nearly zero nutrients in it so bacteria will have a tough time growing. It will start eventually though, either because of debris ending up in the water or bacteria coming from the cat itself.

I personally wouldn't let the water sit for 4 weeks. But 1-2 is a non-issue.

The water filter itself will eventually get gunked up enough to need a proper cleaning to avoid jump starting pathogen growth.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xzzy posted:

If it's fully treated from a municipal source it's probably not a big deal. It'll get stale tasting due to absorbing compounds from the atmosphere but there's nearly zero nutrients in it so bacteria will have a tough time growing. It will start eventually though, either because of debris ending up in the water or bacteria coming from the cat itself.

I personally wouldn't let the water sit for 4 weeks. But 1-2 is a non-issue.

The water filter itself will eventually get gunked up enough to need a proper cleaning to avoid jump starting pathogen growth.

Wouldn't the plastic accumulate a biofilm?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd change the water at least every other day no matter what, cuz my cats like to dunk their paws in the water.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Wouldn't the plastic accumulate a biofilm?

Yeah, that's why you gotta clean it regularly. Or don't use plastic. Everything builds up scum eventually but plastic seems to be the worst about it, and is the hardest to clean once it does get gross.

But if you start out with everything insanely clean tap water will be fine for a lot longer than one might think.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

xzzy posted:

Yeah, that's why you gotta clean it regularly. Or don't use plastic. Everything builds up scum eventually but plastic seems to be the worst about it, and is the hardest to clean once it does get gross.

But if you start out with everything insanely clean tap water will be fine for a lot longer than one might think.

4 weeks seems a little pointless then ... anyway whatever

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

mawarannahr posted:

4 weeks seems a little pointless then ... anyway whatever

they were talking about emergency circumstances though

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Diogines posted:

One problem I need to resolve is water. A big bowl of water is obviously a terrible idea so I need to buy some kind of fountain or other device, I will probably buy two so I have a backup and to be sure they have enough water. There are a million such products online and looking through them I am having difficulty making a decision, can anyone suggest a model or a brand they like?

Thank you for your help.

A 1.5L glass Pyrex bowl (same as you'd use for leftovers) full of water will last a 20 lb cat a little over 3 days. It's also heavy and unlikely to flip and is easy to clean.

A very simple gravity-feed tank + trough setup is an option as well. You don't need to get very fancy but redundancy is more important if you're away.

If you've got the time, test your plan out before you go so you can do a few week-long trial runs and monitor what's remaining at the end of each week.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Need some help troubleshooting the two cats that live with my dad and his partner. Technically they belong to my nephew, but my dad is his legal guardian. Nephew is responsible for all of the cat care, including food, boxes, claw trims, and vet visits. He's always been good about it. Dad and partner mostly spoil the cats with treats and love, typical grandparent type stuff.

Early last week the cats had a real fight, with hissing, growling, scratching, and biting. Since then it's happened a couple more times that we know of. I'd like to help figure out what's going on, and advocate for any changes that might be necessary when I visit this upcoming weekend.

They're sisters, littermates, about 5-6 years old at this point. Since they were moved into this house about three years ago, after my sister passed, they've been friendly enough. They nap on the same bed together and chase each other around occasionally, but that's about it. To my knowledge, nothing in their routine has really changed. They're still fed and watered (and given way too many treats) as they have been. The boxes are being cleaned as normal. They don't really get enough active play, but that's been true for a while and they've never fought before. Nobody's been to the vet or otherwise out of the house since sometime last year.

My dad did say one of them was accidentally shut out in the sunroom overnight before this started, and she was extremely pissed when they found her and let her back in the house the next morning. If it matters this is the one who's been on the losing end of the battles.

Any ideas what could be setting them off, or what we might do about this?

gloom fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 20, 2024

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

In the absence of any other changes, my best guess is that the cat that was outside smelled different and that upset the other cat. Some cats don't care at all about situations like that, and some are super sensitive and a seemingly minor change will set them off. There's not much you can do other than just wait it out.

Otherwise, watch for other personality changes in both cats. One (or both) might be hiding some pain or illness, cats are really good at that.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah cats also can sublimate or fixate on stuff too. So it could even have been "cat that was pissed about being outside took it out on the other cat leading to a single fight, and now one or both associate the other with fighting and being pissed -causing a feedback loop.

Do they still act friendly but occasionally have outbreaks? Are there usual places where it happens?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In the absence of any other changes, my best guess is that the cat that was outside smelled different and that upset the other cat. Some cats don't care at all about situations like that, and some are super sensitive and a seemingly minor change will set them off. There's not much you can do other than just wait it out.

Otherwise, watch for other personality changes in both cats. One (or both) might be hiding some pain or illness, cats are really good at that.

While I don't know if this is the case with gloom's cats, I cannot emphasize enough how another cat suddenly smelling differently can set off some cats, even if it's one they've been living together with for years. I had two female cats like ~15 years ago, and one day I went to get one of them spayed. When I brought her back home her fellow cat, whom she had been living with since I got them like 5 years earlier, went absolutely ballistic. I guess with her lady parts gone she now had a different scent, and I think the evening after I brought her back from the vet they had a major dustup, I think it only lasted for a few seconds before I managed to break it up but to this day it was easily the most vicious cat fight I've witnessed. Thankfully in my case there seemed to be no injuries and they were both fine with each other again after a couple of days.

IIRC cats don't really remember much by way of visuals, we're all diffuse blobs to them, scent and sound is how they remember things.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

weirdly enough, i went out to get one cat fixed and the one at home took one whiff of her and wouldn’t let ME touch him for days. he was also significantly upset while she was gone and i came home without her for a few hours.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just got a cat yesterday. For context, I've had cats before, but they were either family pets or my ex-wife handled the transition to a new home. Also the cat I had with my ex-wife had a heart murmur from the time we got her so we had constant vet advice on feeding and medication to handle it, my new cat doesn't have any health problems aside from a tooth that had to get pulled. He's a 3 year old cat from the shelter that seems like he was likely abandoned because he was already neutered and at a 5/9 on the BCS when he got picked up by animal control.

He hasn't eaten his food at all since I brought him home about 18 hours ago, and I'm worried. It's 90% the Science Diet that they fed him at the shelter, and 10% Blue that the shelter gave me along with the Science Diet. So it should smell like the food he's used to. Is there a way I should be showing him that it's his food and his bowl? I haven't found any urine or fecal matter outside the litter box so I think he's using it, but I'm also not seeing any distinct urine/poop in the litter box so maybe he hasn't had to go yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just got a cat yesterday. For context, I've had cats before, but they were either family pets or my ex-wife handled the transition to a new home. Also the cat I had with my ex-wife had a heart murmur from the time we got her so we had constant vet advice on feeding and medication to handle it, my new cat doesn't have any health problems aside from a tooth that had to get pulled. He's a 3 year old cat from the shelter that seems like he was likely abandoned because he was already neutered and at a 5/9 on the BCS when he got picked up by animal control.

He hasn't eaten his food at all since I brought him home about 18 hours ago, and I'm worried. It's 90% the Science Diet that they fed him at the shelter, and 10% Blue that the shelter gave me along with the Science Diet. So it should smell like the food he's used to. Is there a way I should be showing him that it's his food and his bowl? I haven't found any urine or fecal matter outside the litter box so I think he's using it, but I'm also not seeing any distinct urine/poop in the litter box so maybe he hasn't had to go yet.

he’s probably anxious and scared because you’re a giant person who stole him from the warm box he was staying in. is he hiding anywhere or is he walking about and seeming alert?