Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Deviant posted:

I am at my wit's end here. One of my cats who I've had for many years will not stop pissing and making GBS threads on the bed and occasionally laundry. I have tried so many things. I have tried, from memory:

- different cat litter
- cat attract by Dr Elsey
- keeping the box spotless
- prescription anxiety medication from the vet following an exam that turned up nothing medical
- feliway diffusers AND spray
- ordered a new, different type of box, which will be here soon.

Current box is a high wall natures miracle box, uncovered, and with a low cutout for entry. Using world's best cat litter, and the box on order is a covered catit hooded box.

The cat doesn't fight with the other cats. She just stays in the bedroom and won't come out to the rest of the house for any reason, but is perfectly social inside that space. They eat, they drink, and I even see them use the box in addition to going on the bed. I can't keep washing sheets and mattress protectors. What do I do here? How do I make this stop? What haven't I tried?

The only thing I can think is they have separation anxiety because I never see the mess happen, and I work on the far end of the house in my home office. I could bring them in there while I work, but I'd have to use a carrier lest I get the poo poo clawed out of me.

Edit: they are making biscuits as I type this :3:

I had a similar issue happening with a cat. We switched to the pink attractant World's Best, with a silicone high-rim feeding mat under the open litter box, to supplement an existing box with pine. There's a Nature's Miracle with a light cinnamon smell that cats don't like which seems enough to discourage pissing but won't stop the cat from napping/playing. Wash your mattress protector and bedding with normal Natures Miracle in place of fabric softener.

Cat treats were stored nearby and given whenever he used the new box, which had the hilarious side effect of the other cats arriving to queue up for a snack whenever they heard him peeing. Progress!

Sometimes he will pee in the pine. Sometimes he will poop on the mat. The world's best is scooped nightly. No real problems anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Some cats have very fine hair that floats around, some is more coarse and will just drop to the ground. That can make a big difference.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

That's incredibly normal. Eventually they'll realize their legs work again, try offering a treat that requires a small amount of movement.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

In my experience it's smooth sailing after the series of treatment finishes, just keep vigilant on checkups if you feel suspicious about anything.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

How did you handle the litter box? What kind of litter did you use? Did your cat make any messes or anything difficult to clean? How did you handle tracking litter or anything?

I used pine litter which works well in general. Everything sinks to the bottom, it doesn't really get anywhere, and you dump the whole box at once into a bag after a while.

My cats don't really like to dig it up though. They'll dig sand but generally leave pellets alone.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Not gonna lie, it’s frightening. I felt kinda sick and panicky after I gave him the first pill, I really really really hope I’m doing the right thing.

You're doing the right thing! And it's good you're trying to be careful and thoughtful. This is how you turn a four month prognosis into four, five, seven quality years.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

clean ayers act posted:

wondering if anyone can offer advice/make me feel better cats...what the hell

Once her friend stops looking/acting like a zombie that smells like the enemy and is probably muttering incoherently, she'll feel better about the situation.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

If your cat isn't going for the pizza, then you're ahead in the game

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Taima posted:

I am completely unqualified to answer but my guess for funsies is a cross between Khao Manee and an American shorthair or something.

He's very pretty. May I suggest insurance? I suggest insurance. Haha.

Doesn't insurance suck? Is there good insurance?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

kaworu posted:

Any advice on finding new ways to socialize the feral cat we adopted?

I raised two feral cats. One greets me, snuggles my feet, comes over to chat. The other is very high anxiety as you described, but mellows out if his buddy is nearby OR if it is late at night.

They were raised together in the same circumstances, they're siblings, and the tortie is somehow the calm one of the pair. But when nobody else is around (or my old cat is there), her brother comes when called and doesn't even mind being picked up.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Yeah don't tolerate vying for favoritism, allow equal bites

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

pandy fackler posted:

I need a litterbox recommendation. My cat has one roughly in this stylehttps://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003RQVGKC/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 only it isn't jumbo and I never put the door on because I didn't want the odor to be completely trapped inside. The problem is that sometimes (often) she sticks her butt outside the door frame, missing the box and peeing on the litter mat. Are there any boxes that would prevent this without being totally enclosed, or are enclosed litter boxes not as bad as I think?

I've got an enclosed style with a separate pan of litter inside. You could try that. The price looks like it's gone up though for this particular one.

https://www.chewy.com/frisco-multi-function-covered-cat/dp/285238

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

One of my cats is supposed to eat prescription Hill's and it's the #1 favorite among the others.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Kullik posted:

the obvious solution.

Matching cats?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

It'll also happen differently per-cat for multi-cat homes. I've got a larger kitten who has finally started to figure out who he "can" pounce on after nine months. Some tails are off-limits.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

My cat scoops water out of the bowl just to make a gigantic fuckin mess everywhere and flood the silicone mat surrounding it, and it's not because he wants to drink it from there. He also drowns toy mice there.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, I guess I might as well ask here: I actually haven't been able to get my LR4 to see my wifi yet. It looks like it needs 2.4 Ghz wifi, but that by itself isn't doing it. Anyone know any likely causes?

Try setting up a simple guest network that's only 2.4ghz, and see if that works.

Also I've been having good success with World's Best advanced litter in the LR4 and a 15 minute cycle, in addition to what everybody else suggested.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

Must feel lovely to pay $700 for a litter box that can't connect to to wifi when you can get another one that doesn't connect to wifi for 1% of the price.

The point is that it feels pretty lovely to literally scoop poo poo, even if the litterbox was free. In fact, it feels shittier the more free litterboxes you must scoop.

The WiFi isn't really the point for most people although it gives you remote status and weight history stuff they added recently.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

an iksar marauder posted:

Yes, tweets too. You can make your roomba vacuum around the litterbox on a schedule too, but the roomba scares my guys so I keep it decoupled from the litter robot

I just rigged up a thing to send the Roomba out after the LR4 cycles using a cheap matter-over-thread door sensor. It sits inside the plastic cover by the USB port and has a hall effect sensor to detect a magnet that helpfully clings to one of the screws of the drum, so when that spins by it sends a notification.

The delay is set to fifteen minutes so it shouldn't bug them hopefully :ohdear:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Litter robot works as well as advertised. For multi-cat, it means every one of the fuzzy jerks gets a clean place to take a dump every time. For the human, it means you're never scooping and don't need to worry about torn bags.

When acclimating my cats, they learned to queue up to use it and/or receive treats afterwards.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

JuSt TrAiN yOuR cAtS bY rEwArDiNg GoOd BeHaViOr!

Yeah but how the gently caress do you get them to do the good thing in the first place?

I snapped my fingers by the opening and the cat climbed inside to poop.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Toss a little freshwave bag in the bottom, to the side of where the tray goes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

You can touch them. My cat touches my feet all the time, so I touch his feet, too. Sometimes he pushes his feet against mine while we're napping on the couch.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Cool, I've just discovered yet another deficiency of the Litter Robot 4. It turns out if you let the waste drawer get too full before changing it, when you pull it out the waste scrapes against the underside of the thing. Yet another difficult-to-clean place for it to become dirty. And the "waste drawer is getting full" notification obviously never got sent.

I hate this thing. I hate it so much that I'm not sure I want to even try to resell it and recoup some of the money I wasted on it, because I don't want to foist this piece of poo poo onto someone else.

You might need to recalibrate the sensors, or clean them if you never have.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Diogines posted:

One problem I need to resolve is water. A big bowl of water is obviously a terrible idea so I need to buy some kind of fountain or other device, I will probably buy two so I have a backup and to be sure they have enough water. There are a million such products online and looking through them I am having difficulty making a decision, can anyone suggest a model or a brand they like?

Thank you for your help.

A 1.5L glass Pyrex bowl (same as you'd use for leftovers) full of water will last a 20 lb cat a little over 3 days. It's also heavy and unlikely to flip and is easy to clean.

A very simple gravity-feed tank + trough setup is an option as well. You don't need to get very fancy but redundancy is more important if you're away.

If you've got the time, test your plan out before you go so you can do a few week-long trial runs and monitor what's remaining at the end of each week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

There was a trend for a while, where cat owners are on selfie video with the cat (screen in view) and suddenly turn on a face filter. The cats often look back at the human holding them to check what's going on, and if it's a scary face, sometimes take a swipe without verifying first. Even if a video of a weird face ordinarily wouldn't bother them.