Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I need some dietary advice for my rat. He won't eat lab blocks, he won't chew on anything that would grind his teeth down. What can I get him to work on his teeth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
My rat seems to enjoy chicken bones which is a good thing, thanks guys. I am wondering if some different lab blocks would entice him more as well? The pet stores don't carry Mazuri so I will probably pick up some of the oxbow regal rat and see if he'll eat that.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

So I am planning to possibly get two rats when I get the chance to go look at some nearby. Is the rat highrise from martin's cages going to be big enough? I'd also like to get some hammocks for them but they seem expensive online so I might try making them.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

What is the best way to deal with a suspected upper respiratory infection? The vet nearest me knows nothing of rats so taking my rat there wouldn't really accomplish much. It's just very slight snuffling sounds with some occasional sneezing but I'm obviously worried.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Invalid Octopus posted:

I keep a beef knuckle in the cage and toss leftover bones from dinner as well. That keeps them from chewing the cage pretty well.

I have to second throwing in bones really seems like the best options. I think I will try out that beef knuckle as well!

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

So I got two rats from the pet store (no breeders here and the closest shelter with rats is a ways away, too) on the 23rd of May. They are both doing great, however one of them has been sneezing some since he came and has some slight poryphrin discharge. Should I take him to the vet now or assume it's just acclimating to a new environment?

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

So I'm feeding Suebee's Rat diet some days and on others I'm feeding Oxbow Regal Rat except the regal rat seems to not get eaten very much at all. If it's the only thing in their bowl it's covered up. Any help?

Edit: I might as well ask this too while I'm at it. The rat that is seemingly the alpha is super skinny and seems to not at all eat the regal rat. I'm concerned but he's been this way since I got him in May. Should I be worried?

Xeras fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 1, 2014

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

My rat is not showing much interest in food. What would be best to put some weight on him? Any form of baby food is what I was probably going to pick up later today.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

That is a very clear sign that she is probably sick. Make sure to visit a vet.

You should try some wet and tasty foods meanwhile. Grapes, yoghurt, baby food.

Yeah, was at the vet this morning and got some baytril already :)

Edit: He will eat, just not a healthy amount of food.

Xeras fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 29, 2014

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

I've noticed my rat has a couple scabs on his chin and neck area. I looked through the OP wondering if this might be mites because that's what a google search showed but I don't see that as a symptom in the OP. Should I just ignore it or get some lice treatment?

Edit: Mites are not lice

Xeras fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 17, 2015

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

When I first adopted my two rats I had a beard and when I shaved it off for the first time months later it took like a week for them to stop trying to climb into my mouth

Let's be real, rats never stop trying to climb into your mouth. Or at least mine continue performing rodentistry.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

What's the best (healthiest?) way to put weight on an older rat? My old boy is not quite all skin and bones but sure skinnier than I'd like :(

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Falstaff posted:

This isn't guaranteed to work (some weight loss is to be expected in old rats, just like with old humans), but your best bet is to provide foods that are high in protein but still relatively healthy: Eggs, cat food, vanilla/strawberry ensure, etc. Be aware that long term high protein diets in rats has been linked with tumor growth, though this is unlikely to be a worry with an old rat.

If it's an appetite issue, then try to make sure he's drinking enough, since dehydration can lead to lack of appetite. If he's been sick recently (have his stools been out-of-the-ordinary?), then it might be a lingering side-effect from that, in which case it might be better to just wait for his recovery to bring his appetite back.

Appetite is reasonable, water consumption SEEMS lower than in the past and what I would like. Thanks for the suggestions on food, though. EDIT: and no, no recent sickness. just over 2 years so I'm not expecting a huge rat but still :(

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Has anyone had any luck ordering Baytril online? If so what exactly is it listed as? Thanks! :)

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

My ratkids are going to have to go back to the vet and hopefully get some Amoxy instead of Doxy this time. :(

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Just lost one of my girls. Found her a few hours ago. I feel like a failure. I noticed last week she was having a bit of trouble, making some sounds and breathing a bit fast, and I told myself I needed to get her into the vet again, and I just... forgot to do it. And now she's dead.

She was the best little rat. She was smart, and brave, and friendly, and loved to climb on my and explore and I'm going to miss her so much. She deserved better than me. But I loved her a lot and I'm glad I got to be part of her life.

I have been there and it sucks. Rats are very good at hiding illnesses and it makes catching the signs early hard. Sorry friend :(

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

I am down to 1 neutered boy and I wish I could get him company. There are females in my area does anyone have experience mixing neutered males and females? My boy seems like the type who could just get pushed around by 2 females.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

My friend has mixed females and neutered males and it seems to work out fine. I haven't heard it causing any problems.

I wanted to circle back to this. I did end up picking up two girls who are just as laid back as my boy but have done wonders for him. All 3 were housed together until the girls were spayed last Thursday. Everyone is very ready to be in the same cage again it seems.

This is after coming home from surgery.

This is with their adopted brother.

Xeras fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 14, 2022

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Marshmallow and Alucard

Wow the grey hood with what I assume is pink eyes is something I haven’t seen before. How gorgeous!

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Peanut butter sounds like a good idea.
I was recommended boiled egg yellow too.

Not peanut butter. I have read they can have a hard time with getting it down. Baby food though on a finger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I already use peanut butter a lot for mixing meds in. It's fine as long as you mix it with something that makes it thicker, so it doesn't stick to their throats.
Chilling and/or aerifying it with a toothpick it work too.

Oh I apologize then! I was just going based on what I had read and didn't want anything unfortunate to happen