Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I'm about to have three months with a line manager who doesn't know what I'm meant to do all shift :toot:

Looking forward to aggressively downfilling every overhead in my department and getting super intimate with our inventory counts in preparation for stocktake in September.

Also looking forward to a stocktake with a store manager who will let us precount as much as possible, instead of the one who was totally confident that a store which carries 30,000+ different products would be countable in one shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

SaberToothedPie posted:

I also had learned that the employees at this store were taught to 0 out the count of any item that was less than 3 in the system, regardless of whether we had it or not. Guess how much overstock they had?! :wtc:

I bet that started as "if the system says we have like 1-5 of whatever, and it's small and cheap, and the shelf is empty and you can't find them anywhere, write them off so we get another delivery".

And then a game of telephone and some employee laziness turned it into just writing poo poo off whenever.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

These past two days I covered shifts for a friend of mine who works in a different department than me.

I was basically just playing bodyguard to our high risk products in that department, and I literally spent most of both days with my phone and a notebook, working on a personal project of my own, with manager approval to do so. As long as I was paying attention when customers were in the department (probably around 2/hr over the course of two 6-hour shifts), management didn't care what else I did.

It's going to be really hard to keep a straight face the next time my friend complains about how much she hates her job and wants to quit to be a Twitch superstar because her job is so 'boring'.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My point was more that I don't understand how she can be bored when she has carte blanche to do anything she likes during her shift as long as it's something she can drop whenever a customer shows up (which is once or twice an hour).

Like, she has an Etsy store where she sells cross stitch projects, and she could 100% be bringing those into work to do, but she isn't because ???

Hell, she works in the art department and has a small budget to store expense things to use as samples. She could be using free art supplies to create art to sell, while on the clock and the managers would be okay with it.

I get that boring work sucks (I cover the door greeter position for another friend's breaks, and I am sick of that poo poo after 15 minutes, I don't know how she handles 6 hours of it every day), but I don't understand being bored with the opportunity to be paid $20/hr to create art you can sell for even more money :shrug:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My store gets exactly one (1) shipment of fans every summer.

Then we get to spend the rest of the season explaining to customers that yes, we did have fans, but no, we don't have any in stock at the moment, and no, there aren't any out the back, we don't even have an 'out the back', and no, I can't tell you when we'll get more in stock unless 'next year' is an acceptable answer.

If I ever meet the buyer in charge of seasonal products :argh:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My old store did this in basically ever department they possibly could. The result was an absolutely insane turnover because nobody could make enough money and the hours were all over the place, so you couldn't even hold down a second job. This is also a great way to gently caress your employees out of healthcare and I'm pretty sure keeping them below a certain amount of hours makes them easier to fire, as well.

My old store did this, and then when I told them another store had offered me 30 hours they immediately told me they'd match it.

Which sucked for them, because that cemented my suspicion that they were exploitative dickheads. 20 hours a week was literally only just covering my rent, and they'd been telling me for months how valuable I was to them while listening to me talk about how I was literally selling my stuff for food and bill money, and all that time they could have easily been giving me 30 hours a week?

I jumped ship immediately and with no regrets, and I'm glad it hosed them over.

The best part is the only reason I got the offer at the new store is because I was over there doing a refit - a position I fought hard for because I was so desperate for any extra hours I could get. If my original store had given a single poo poo about me instead of their short-term bottom line, I wouldn't have been hunting for hours, and I'd still be working for them.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

So today one of the managers informed me that she'll be logging my stocktake shift as next Monday's shift, rather than the Saturday I'll actually be working it.

This bones me twice over. First, because, due to payroll timing, it means I won't see the bump in pay until the paycheck after next, effectively delaying it by a fortnight. And secondly, it means I'll be shorted 8 hours of overtime pay, since instead of recording a 6-day week (and 11 shifts in the fortnight, which triggers OT), both this week and next will be recorded as my usual 5-day weeks (as I'm - apparently unofficially - getting next Monday as a day in lieu).

I'm going to have to do the maths on this to see if it's worth rocking the boat over. Technically, forging timecards to deny employees OT is super illegal, but realistically I have a really sweet deal at work at the moment, and they could make things a lot shittier for me if they wanted to. But from memory, this sort of OT is basically double time and a bit, so the company would effectively be shorting me $200.

With luck, I can nail out the same deal I had with my old line manager, where my roster was massaged so it never triggered actual recorded overtime (which head office loses its poo poo over), but I'd get 'training' hours or extra hours tacked on to my regular shifts to make up the OT pay on my end.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

We've been having trouble obtaining Berry flavoured Pump water. If we're lucky we get a box of it per week, which is enough to maybe half fill the space allocated to it, but it runs out days before we get a new delivery. A few days ago a new planogram came in, and we no longer have Berry flavoured Pump in our fridges. Guess what we got 3 boxes of today?

50% of a rollcage that we use for front end drinks is filled with various beverages that we don't use on our displays. Unfortunately the groceries department doesn't appear to use them either; and nobody wants to take responsibility for them, so on the cage they will sit taking up space until they eventually expire and get thrown out.

This is the worst bullshit and I will always cut poo poo into planograms rather than letting it sit around in our overheads waiting to go clearance.

None of our managers know what the planograms are meant to look like anyway, and the merchandise team who are meant to check that we're implementing things right have never once caught any of the changes I've made, even though I sometimes have to completely rework a layout because they don't test them at all and frequently send us planograms that are physically impossible to implement.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I recently switched departments, and for the first fortnight I'm covering the role normally filled by my coworker, who is on a full time contract.

Problem is, I am only part time, so I can't cover her full hours without hitting OT.

Another problem is our breaks are different. She takes 30min paid+60min unpaid over each 9 hour shift, but I have a work rule in place that means I only take 30min paid+30min unpaid. So for every 9hr shift we're rostered, she does 8, but I do 8.5.

So I am currently rostered to work 42.5 paid hours/wk for the next two weeks, even though I can only actually work 36 if those without hitting OT. And, as mentioned earlier, Our Store Doesn't Do OT. So this will be an interesting problem for them to solve.

I'm currently planning on working my hours as rostered and hoping I can get a day in lieu out of it if no one notices in time, because gently caress spending an extra 30min at work every day without pay. It would be fine if I could start late/leave early, but they specifically need me on the floor 10am-12pm and 6pm-7pm, so that's not an option.

Also, apparently I got paid 2hrs OT last paycheck somehow, which is super weird because I didn't think I was anywhere close to the threshold for it. Looking forward to the extra $15 or whatever. Not sure why it really merits the regional manager calling up my line manager to scream at her but whatever :shrug:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Shugojin posted:

I've been in the meetings, none of it was directed at me but there are typically very strict rules on OT. I think my company was relatively nice to the district managers in that it wasn't a problem as long as they were aware + okayed it (usually because the store is understaffed and they know it and are trying to get more people hired) but it still got brought up if there were even 2 hours like that.

So probably your regional manager had no idea about it either and is mad.

e: Retail - it's toxic on basically every level that has to set foot in a store ever

My company has a super strict 'no OT for any reason, if you pay out any overtime at all under any circumstances, someone is getting reamed out for it as soon as payroll processes".

Line managers are expected to pick up any slack in the store (since they are salaried and have much higher thresholds for OT), and there's no acceptable reason for them to keep any hourly staff on long enough to trigger OT.

Realistically, the good managers will let you work OT if they need you to, and just add your extra hours (plus time so you get paid the proper rate) to another week so your overall pay balances out right, and the poo poo managers just cut hours out of your timecard (which is cause for instant dismissal, but the majority of the time employees don't even realise it's happening, or don't realise how serious it is).

As long as that OT flag doesn't get raised, head office don't actually care how many hours we work or how much each employee gets paid. It's one of those examples of workplace behaviour being warped by the metrics used to measure it.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My roster has expanded from 35.5 hours per week (the maximum for part time before you start accruing overtime), to a regular rostered 38.5 hours (which is 1hr more than full time non-salaried workers can work before accruing overtime, meaning I am now officially working more hours than my more senior coworker in the same department), and now this week my coworker has called in sick for Wed/Thu so I am starting early on my two late-start days, which means I am working 42.5 hours this week.

Apparently overtime for my department has been approved, and I look forward to making absolutely sure that is true and it gets paid out because gently caress 40 hour weeks all I want to do when I get home is sleep.

Also today they didn't bother covering my shift while I covered my coworker, so I got to do her work and also do my regular work :confuoot:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Are you in the US? Not to trivialize it, but 40 hours is pretty standard.

Nah I'm in Aus, and the average part time team member contract at my store is 15/wk, and about a third of the team are casuals getting 4-8 hours. There are only 3 non-managers in my store breaking 30, and only another 4 or 5 around 20.

40 won't be bad once I get used to it again tbh, it's more that I hate having my routine hosed around so much.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

If I get my new position, I look forward to seeing what happens to my department when they slot someone else in there.

As someone who did this, I can confirm it is very satisfying watching your old department crash and burn.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Came in today to find 8 hours deleted from my timecard. Considering I worked 158/144 hours I'm allowed a month before OT triggers, I'm not sure what the plan was here tbh, but the intent was definitely to short me OT pay again.

Anyway, after some careful application of pressure, I not only got my 8 hours back, but also the 14 hours of overtime they owed me for the month.

That's $500 I wouldn't have if I weren't keeping track of my timecard. Keep track of your timecard.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Fluctuating shifts absolutely 100% gently caress with people's financial stability to the point where people will worry they can't pay rent.

One of the benefits of getting a part time contract is you have some stability versus being a casual, so I'm not sure how this is even a question. It should be self-evident that stability is better than no stability. People don't want full time contracts for the shiny title, they want the stability.

Going from 30 hours down to 20 is the difference between me being able to afford bills+food versus just barely covering my rent.

If my current job cut me back that much, I would immediately start contacting managers I know at other stores to arrange a transfer out, and would give my current managers no notice at all because if they don't owe me anything, I don't owe them anything either.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I'm planning on transferring out of my store. It was shaping up to be a really hard decision, mostly because it would mean dropping from the 36 hours I'm currently getting down to only 30.

... Except I just got told today that in a fortnight I'm getting cut back to 30 hours at my current store.

Thanks for making my decision to bail easier, I guess :confuoot:

Also lol they just made us cut 11k out of our wage budget, and the May cut is another 20k. All the casuals are going to get zero hours and quit (meaning any training put into them was a total waste), and all the part timers are getting dropped to minimum hours, which effectively means the good workers are going to continue carrying the entire store by working harder for less pay, before burning out and tanking team morale while being irreplaceable because we have no one to train replacements :capitalism:

On a totally unrelated note, one of the less known benefits of transferring stores versus quitting is that you don't have to give any notice at all.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I work in the art department in my (otherwise stationary/technology based) store, and it's great because everyone is always letting me know about suspicious people heading over to me and I'm like "no that is just an artist, that's what they look like".

HazCat
May 4, 2009

So hey it turns out my workplace is absolute garbage.

They've just announced that they need to tighten wages.

I've been cut to 6 hour shifts. In order to make my 30 hour contract, I was told I'd be working through them with no 30min unpaid breaks, just a 15min break each shift.

Except I just found out:

They absolutely cannot legally require this. Australian law and our own EBA require that anyone agreeing to work between 5 and 6 hours without a meal break must sign a written agreement to that effect, and that agreement can be revoked (by the employee) at any time.

AND

They've been deducting the half hour breaks from my pay since last week, despite not letting me take them.

The store manager, who I thought was decent, told me to my face that he'd "try to work something out sometime, if suited the department" when I requested an roster adjustment so I could have meal breaks.

The manager who changed my roster (and had to manually remove my breaks because, again, that can't be a default because it isn't even allowable without my written consent) was the same one who previously altered my timecards to delete overtime. He wasn't even my line manager, so there's no reason he should have been touching my roster.

Tonight I found all this out and pulled my line manager out of a team meeting to tell her I absolutely 100% need this sorted ASAP. Tomorrow I get to go talk to her and the store manager about it.

Basically imploding my career because managers are stupid arseholes who can't just loving pay me for the hours I work.

Even my line manager (who I thought wasn't that bad) tried to pull the "oh well, but those hours of overtime you worked back then, who asked you to do that?" and was visibly uncomfortable when I said I was literally rostered those hours.

This loving store oh my god all I want to do is turn up and work hard and get paid. How the gently caress is this so hard :aaaaa:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Thank you so much for the detailed response, I'm going to have to reread it/reply later because I am not up to it right now, but just wanted to reply to this part:

The Lord Bude posted:

edit: I've been reading back over earlier posts you've made and something caught my eye. You'll need to contact your Union rep to clarify this regarding your specific award; but a while back I noticed you mentioned your hours being cut - as a permanent your contracted hours probably can't be cut without your consent.

My award allows them to cut my hours back no more than 20% in a year with two weeks warning. So unfortunately that's something that they're on the correct side of. And tbh I would be able to weather the drop without much grumbling if it weren't for all the surrounding bullshit, because it is normal for this time of year and it is happening to everyone equally. If it doesn't bounce back at the expected time it will be cause for concern, though.

I also think I worked out the 'logic' behind this latest move. By rostering me with breaks but not letting me take them, they would have been paying me for 30 hours/week (since I work two extra hours on Fridays, but would be losing 30min Mon-Thu). Which would have looked right if I only looked at my pay and never bothered checking my actual timecard or calculating what I worked, since 30 is my minimum per week. Except of course I'd actually be working 32 hours each week.

But hey, what's an extra ~$160/month between friends business associates?

I have a coworker with more experience with workplace disputes who is coming in (on her day off!) just to come into the meeting with me. Is there anything public I can point to if they try to claim she can't sit in with us, or do I need to check my EBA?

HazCat fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 2, 2018

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm reasonably confident it would be illegal for them to force you not to have a witness in a meeting. Are you a member of a union? you should be talking to them about it. If not, you really ought to be, and are screwing yourself by not being in a union.

I haven't been able to get through to my rep tonight, but I'll be able to tomorrow.

I'm honestly tempted to go into the meeting to get recorded acknowledgement that this is the third time this one specific line manager has fraudulently altered my timecard/roster (I have screenshot evidence of the changes and they never bother trying to deny it), but I'll absolutely weigh up the "don't talk to cops management" advice tomorrow when I've got a clearer head.

Funny to think that just 12 hours ago I was seriously considering up-ending annual leave I've had booked for two months just so I could make myself available for stocktake as a favour to the store manager. No good deed goes unpunished I guess :downs:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Do you have a link to your E.B.A? (if you're comfortable giving away where you work I guess)

Can't give away my company without also giving away my exact store and department, unfortunately. And work stress is bad enough without goons turning up to heckle me :v:

I do have a copy of my EBA I can quote/summarise if you had a specific question in mind?

E: yeah, SDA are dire. Fortunately, our EBA is really super explicit on this.

Clause 1: No employee will work more than 5 hours without an unpaid meal break (45-60 minutes, or 30 at employee request)

Subclause 1: an employee working not more than 6 hours may voluntarily request to forgo their meal break. This request must be in writing.

Subclause 2: an employee doing the above may revoke their request at any time, and after 2 weeks notice return to regular rostered breaks.

Subclause 3: this provision can't be used to disadvantage team members working up to 6 hours who do want to take their meal break.

HazCat fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 2, 2018

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My previous issues (re: wage theft and lovely management) were resolved, but it did end up escalating so I didn't end up posting about it.

Things got better in my department (read: I was actually allowed to do work instead of standing around going stir crazy). Things haven't been bad.

And THEN

My boss comes over last week, and tells me we had a visit from his bosses. And they are pissed. My old department? Looks like garbage. Is garbage. Just a disaster.

So he asks if I can come back and fix it. And I agree, because hell yes work I actually enjoy plus it's one of those roles that always has more room to work extra hours.

But oh my god I had no idea just how bad it is. I spent one hour in one bay and found three boxes of stock that have not been touched in EIGHT MONTHS. My boss has been paying two people fulltime to downfill stock, and in the nearly 3000 man hours they've put in since these boxes arrived from the warehouse (hours for which they were paid almost $60k), these boxes have never been worked. One of the boxes was 2018 diaries, which have not only long gone clearance, but have actually been written off our system, so I couldn't even sell them. The store might as well have set $60 on fire instead of ordering those diaries. And this wasn't a case of stock getting misplaced - this box was sitting less than a metre from where those products should have been stocked!

This is not even the biggest issue in the department, either, just the most egregious one. I'm going in tomorrow on my day off to talk to my boss and hopefully get him to understand that he needs to get these people to stop working in the department. I start back in there in a week, and I will literally have less work to do if he just pays that team to sit in the break room and socialise than if he lets them touch another box in those overheads.

Jesus Christ, eight months.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

now entering North Dakota posted:

It sounds like they already did though?

Unfortunately there are other examples where they are working very hard on doing a task wrong, in a way that is loving us spectacularly for stocktake next month. I didn't go into it because it involves explaining too much boring process minutia, but suffice to say that these morons have been filling boxes in our overheads with misc stock, and some bays are up to 5 or 6 boxes full to the brim. And because no one can find anything in the misc boxes, they've been writing stock off, and then when the new stock gets delivered they've been putting it into the misc boxes.

So literally every hour they spend in the overheads is going to be tens of man hours wasted during stocktake manually counting dozens of giant boxes of miscellaneous items.

quote:

Seriously though, how the hell do you have 2 people (not) working stock and not catch it for that long? Good luck on getting it all fixed.

They told my boss they were working hard and dropping every box weekly and so he believed them. They're both going through interviews to be promoted to management right now, so obviously they wouldn't lie about something as basic as 'are you doing the job that I pay you to do?', would they? :downs:

And despite everything being turbofucked, I am honestly excited because fixing this kind of mess is exactly my jam. My absolute favourite role is That Person Who Fixes The Problems, and the bigger the problem the more satisfying it is.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Talked to my boss today. He and my manager got in the overheads today and pulled down $500 (cost price, retail was probably north of a grand) of binders that had been left, untouched, in the overheads for 8 months and had gone through clearance to unsellable and had to be binned.

He still wants to let the current team responsible for this keep working this role :ughh:

Gonna be making myself a custom logbook so I can track all the poo poo I find/fix and hopefully record them continuing to gently caress up so he can learn that this isn't an issue of them 'not knowing any better', it's wilful laziness.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Went back to work after a week off between department changes. The boss had clearly yelled at the two slackers who've been in charge of the department, and had them busting rear end all week to fix things before I started back in the department. I had three different managers ask me some variation of "looks pretty good, doesn't it?"

I worked one and a quarter aisles over 6.5 hours. Almost every single thing in the overheads dropped. I found at least one box that was 100% full directly above its bay, with an empty gap on the shelf, and we haven't sold that item at all since last month (so it's not like the last item just sold and the gap was new, it was there when they worked the aisle).

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

How in the world did you expect anything else? Sounded from your last couple posts on the subject like you knew exactly what you were going to find.

Gotta believe evidence, not poo poo people say.

Oh, I'm honestly more surprised that the boss thought that the people who'd failed at this job for 8 months would suddenly do it correctly just because he told them to. I guess he was hoping they were just lazy and not actually incompetent.

I'm also just kind of fundamentally baffled on a basic level by people who can't do basic poo poo like "put the thing where it goes". You'd think working retail would have drummed that out of me, between customers and coworkers, but apparently not.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Okay, sure.

It probably took them longer to half-rear end this than it took me to fix it.

Someone also went into the aisle where I'd just made sure everything was ticketed and pulled tickets without replacing them because ???

And while trying to chase down some missing envelopes I saw a box with their SKU written on it but violently crossed out and thought "surely not" but lo and behold that was of course the very box they were in.

I love putting things in order wayyyy more than is healthy, and so even with all these completely ridiculous setbacks I am still having so much fun being back in this department.

Now I just need to talk to my boss and make sure he wasn't trying to sneakily give me a pay cut by using the change of department to cut me from 32/wk to 30/wk and everything will be amazing :toot:

Also I found out today that the worst of the slackers screwing up this department just had her application to train as a manager denied, and I am really spitefully happy about it because she is really just terrible. I really hope she quits over it.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

My friend, you are dealing with people who know you’re there to ruin the good thing they had going, and are going to wage a guerrilla war against you in those aisles until either you or they are gone.

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence. This is just the lazy poo poo they're used to getting away with.

And on the off chance you're right, I am excited to enthusiastically and cheerfully burn them to the loving ground :black101:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Today my boss asked me to work four bays in particular for reasons, and part of the request was "I don't know if you've worked them already, but just make them neater", and I just said "you'll know when I've worked a bay" and he came back four hours later and I'd dropped 8 crammed-full interims and turned 6 completely overfull excess boxes into 4 almost-empty ones (one per bay) and I got to :smugbert: at him.

Also two other managers came over and kept exclaiming how they couldn't believe I'd dropped so much, they'd both worked that section already and didn't think anything else could possibly drop, let alone all of it.

I promise this is my last smugpost, I'm just really enjoying finally being able to show my boss that he was actually an idiot for not moving me back to this department 5 months ago when I requested it.

Oh also I found this in another aisle while gap-filling:

Nightfill team bringing their A-game as always.

Not sure how visible it is, but they've been ripping out price tickets instead of finding and working the stock (which was in the wrong overhead). Because obviously, if you can't scan the ticket, you can't see that we have stock on hand, and so they can't be blamed for not finding it and filling the gaps, right?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Work has been going well. Earlier in the week I condensed 10 full excess boxes in one bay down to one almost empty one. I think my boss was hoping that the previous time I did this was a fluke, because he seemed very defeated when he came out and saw the empty overhead. I am enjoying his slowly dawning realisation that the old team actually aren't 'okay' at the job and actually are garbage at it.

Speaking of garbage! Today I came in and found that whoever put stock up last night a) put the excess boxes in the first few aisles (the only things in each overhead) in the wrong spots, b) put stock into the wrong excess boxes (despite putting stock into each of the correct boxes, so it's not even like they saved time by just dumping it all in one box), and c) wrote all the numbers onto the excess boxes in permanent marker instead of whiteboard marker.

I passed it all along officially to my manager, who will pass it on to the nightfill manager. Next time it happens (note there is no 'if'), I'll be going to the security footage to find out who's doing it and going directly to the nightfill manager to request they speak specifically to that person. And then the third time it happens (again, no if), I'll be going directly to my boss with the paper trail of me trying to fix it and everyone repeatedly failing at literally the most basic aspects of their jobs.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Last week my boss was talking a big game about how the rest of the nightfill team have been working really hard in the aisles I haven't got to yet and every single box in every single overhead has been touched and we are looking so great for stocktake in a fortnight!!!!

Today I found $620-worth of unsellable past-clearance folders in the overhead of a single bay in one of those aisles :ughh:

The quest to unfuck everything continues.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My boss has been in a panic all this week due to an upcoming visit from his bosses tomorrow and has asked me if I could stay back late every day so far.

But he wasn't giving me enough hours so I picked up a second casual gig and now have zero flexibility to help him out (and no inclination to, since I no longer desperately need the money).

Funny how that happens.

Also today I found out that our current nightfill team considers three pallets of stock a 'busy night' that might require leaving a roll cage or two for tomorrow. I am agog at how loving inept the management is that they think this is normal. No wonder the nightfill manager is popular - the old night crew who use to work 20+ pallets with me when I was in nightfill must feel like they're getting a paid vacation.

HazCat fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 18, 2018

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Zenithe posted:

When I did nightfill I did consider that a large delivery. Because I was the only one in my department.

The current nightfill team in my store is three people plus a manager, putting in around 28 manhours a night between them :allears:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Update on the three pallets from last night:

The team did not finish working them. They left an entire roll cage of exercise books (roughly half a pallet, so four people worked 2.5 pallets over 6+ hours).

My line manager told me to 'be nice' when I started laughing, but I think he might be starting to realise that maybe something is rotten in the state of Denmark?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Today someone passed me the buck.

On Monday, she is going to learn why that is a bad idea.

She called in sick just to avoid covering a coworker's shift, leaving me holding the bag and picking orders for my old department instead of covering my own department.

I've arranged with my manager and the acting-as-store manager for her to be solely responsible for picking orders on Monday (and will be walking out if she isn't). This is 100% spite on my behalf, but both managers have selfish reasons to back me on it, so I'm very confident it'll happen.

I pick orders on Friday, and can directly influence how bad Monday orders are :gibs:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My store manager just got back from two weeks leave and is trying to crack the whip on a bunch of stuff, even though we've already been working flat out the entire time he's been gone.

He also told me with a straight face that next week he's going to give a bunch of extra hours to nightfill 'to help me out' (instead of offering me any extra hours).

Joke's on him though, because the startup business I've been working on did incredibly well last month, so I'm probably going to invest my energy in that and not into cleaning up the mess his hand-picked team of slackers is creating.

Should have given me the extra hours I wanted so I didn't have time to invest them elsewhere :shrug:

HazCat fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 7, 2018

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Just found out my store manager got poached by another company and is leaving in two weeks :)

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I used to give a poo poo about my job and then my store manager gave me a 12% pay cut with zero warning and smirked when I told him I could end up homeless because of it. I'm just another entitled millennial I guess, because that was the beginning of the end of me caring at all about the company :shrug:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

My department has 20 bays that need to be refitted by next Friday. The floorplan is changing and we have new fixtures in, so it'll be 2-3 hours per bay (with subsequent bays in a shift taking less time because it's more efficient to tetris fixtures around than to strip and work single bays).

I'm the only person in the department who can do plannograms. I work 6am-12pm most days. This was fine, because I was free to work extra hours Thu+Fri and had a plan for a comfortable 10 bays a week.

Except I just got told I can't do 'real work' after 10am. Only service. And that means I can't even start working on a bay unless I can guarantee it will be finished by 10am, because all loose fixtures have to be off the floor by then and we can't have a ladder out to pull down (or put up) stock.

This limits me to 1 bay per shift, with zero benefit to me staying late. We'll be less than half done by the deadline (and then more plannograms will be rolling out, so we'll start falling behind with them).

I just... :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I am willing to work hard at my dumb retail job and to care too much about pointless trash work because I am trying to start my own business and I consider "doing poo poo even though it's not immediately rewarding" and "being able to really care about weird stuff like maximum efficiency" valuable skills to hone. A 'real' job would pay more but would also take up actual mental energy I don't have to spare.

I had a watershed moment on Monday where my side gig earned me more than my retail shift for that day. Just gotta get that consistent and I can start shedding retail hours :toot:

In contrast, a guy I used to work with embodied the 'be as lazy as you can get away with, and never work more than they're paying you to' attitude, but still wanted to run his own business. He invested in a food truck, hyped it to all his friends, and went bankrupt within 6 months. He is my anti-inspiration.