Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I've recently just gotten back into Lego after a decade (after a break of a decade before that, too).

While I lament the lack of original Space themes, loving the absolute crap out of the Creator Rover.

To those of you that own the Apollo, is it worth a purchase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Captain Invictus posted:

The lander? I enjoyed making it, at least. And it does look nice.

Yeah, the lander. Whoops! Thanks. :)

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you don’t have the Saturn V yet, that set is fantastic. I still haven’t built the lander so I can’t speak to that.

If you’re looking for classic space, Benny’s Spaceship ticks all the correct boxes in a really satisfying way.

I just bought this on Bricklink with some random Space minifigs. Truly down the rabbit hole now.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

My friend from primary school had the Message Intercept Base, and I was super envious. That was my dream set. The Blacktron aesthetic is unrivalled, pure badass.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Sloppy posted:

My #1 AFOL moment was scoring that set new in the bags off shopgoodwill. No box, but everything else literally brand new. Yeah I built it, gently caress the value, when will I get to do that again?

Holy poo poo. How did that feel??

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Sloppy posted:

I'll still be posting about it when I'm 70!

I miss the drat perforated plastic bags they used back then, probably terrible for the environment though! Reminded me of what they would use to package pies ready for the pie warmer.

Currently waiting on my Blacktron minifigs as I may or may not have thrown away a huge batch of Lego at the dump a few years ago, including a lot of the Blacktron translucent quarter dome and Futuron large panel pieces I purchased 10 years ago. :buddy:

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 2, 2020

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Benny's Spaceship (used) just arrived. That is the biggest bag of loose bricks I have ever seen in my life.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Uh... I just bought the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set.
How long is this thing going to take to build?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Get Barracuda Bay. It is what I imagined the big base playsets to be like when looking at the catalogues in the 80s and 90s, but 10x as awesome.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Enjoying so far dude, this is rad. :)

Also, a pleasant discovery. I thought I'd thrown all my Lego out in 2016, but I found a couple of bits of Space Police at the top of a box of old Transformers. I just dug a bit deeper this afternoon and found out that I'd saved a a significant amount of Space Police, Blacktron and Futuron sets and loose pieces. I'll dig them out over Christmas and see what I manage to salvage.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 12, 2020

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The boxes were taking room in the garage, and I was going through some poo poo and couldn't handle the thought of them being there. :smith:
Oh, and that I was an adult and didn't need them anymore (but kept the Transformers wtf).

But it's OK now!

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 12, 2020

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Blue Moonlight posted:

Nah, just giving you a hard time. Glad things are better now!

Thank you goon, please send some UFO sets tia.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Captain Invictus posted:

I think it was the "threw them out" part. Always donate legos.

I know, I would have donated them if I had my time back.
:(

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Those of you with the 75192 UCS, how'd you justify the purchase? I'm debating it, but it's a lot of scratch...

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

We never had the other Unitron stuff here, but I always drooled over that monorail as it was the only set available. Nice score, dude!

I built a Stardefender 200 yesterday with parts that had mostly been sitting in sealed bags since a massive Bricklink order in 2010. For something that I drooled over as a 4 year old, it wasn't as fun to build as I was hoping. :( Still looks cool as hell, though.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

It's Boxing Day, and I wanted to build something to house one of my Blacktron Bounty Hunter minifigs.

Saw this M-Tron design on Rebrickable, but modified it a little bit. This is the first time I've really played with stud.io, but Carbohydrates made it look so fun on stream. :) I've got the transparent pieces and the Blacktron slope, but ordered a few odds and ends to build it.

Here's a render in the meantime:

I hope the guy doesn't get upset, I sent him a pic and offered to send the file over, too. I won't be uploading it to any MOC sites, but I don't know what the etiquette is when modifying and sharing with another site like here.

Merry Christmas to those of you in a different time zone, and may your 2021 be as good as you had hoped 2020 to be.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 26, 2020

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

This is the first time I've used Studio from scratch. What a way to kill an entire day, a modern take on Futuron. Rocket pods to smash asteroids, and droids like the old Futuron sets that detach too.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I think I'm going to build this when I eventually finish it. I'm not sure if I want to keep the checkered tiles but like the effect of a few of them removed, like it's been worn down a bit. The hull interior also needs to be filled in and there are a few ideas kicking around, and it needs landing skids too. The Space Police III officers, Galaxy Trooper minifig and UFO drones will man this. Also that Blacksmith set is awesome!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The Child floating pram is absolutely brilliant, what a bloody drat good job. Love those little mini sets too, Carbohydrates!

I'm not really good at interiors. A little vehicle like the small boxes from the 80s, and trying to make safety harness things for the first time. I may add a few spare helmets, a crate, some barrels etc later on.

Edit: here's some of the changes, much more what I had in mind when wanting to make harnesses.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 2, 2021

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Does anyone have any recommendations for Space-themed MOCs to buy instructions for? I'm still not entirely sold on most Star Wars ships for Lego (my mate called them grey bricks of depression) so yeah, preferably stuff that's not Star Wars or another preexisting sci-fi property please.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 11, 2021

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Bring it home, Blacktron.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

My fond memories of Ice Planet were sitting on the rug in the lounge room one winter's afternoon building the Celestial Sled, the heater on, and East 17 blasting on the TV. It was a hell of a year, 1993.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone who thinks BL is fine with it's sellers first mentality:

https://store.bricklink.com/Bricks_Master#/terms

Yeah, definitely want to business with this guy.

An old boss was from Singapore, and that's basically what he sound like. :D He was a nice and good dude though. Probably wouldn't buy anything from him or this guy though.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Carbohydrates posted:

Hey guys, I personally have no problem with people posting their stuff for sale in this thread because used LEGO is likely to be uniquely interesting to people posting here, but I would greatly prefer if extended conversations about pricing, offers, availability, etc. could be moved to a relevant SA Mart post or private messages. Thanks much!

Anyway, Brickset and Brothers Brick have their reviews of the Medieval Blacksmith up! Looks even better than I thought before, seeing it broken down like this. What a lovely set.

Moved from a "later" purchase to "get ASAP".

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

https://twitter.com/BeyondtheBrick/status/1352419057375604736?s=20

This rules

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Collecting Lego again has made me remember why I've tried to cut down on buying physical items in general - lack of space and storage. Seeing some people's collections and storage/display space blows my mind.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Carbohydrates posted:

I can't leave anything alone ever so I did go through with cutting a stud's length off the bed and yeah, that was worth it.

:yosnice:

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yeah, it can vary. There’s a whole taxonomy of companies that use GoBricks which are considered the best quality, such as Mould King, Decool, SY, Sembo, Dinggao etc. Enlighten is also great, as well as the King/Queen brands (formerly Lepin), and I usually try to stick with those, which is mostly what yourwobb carries. Bela and Leji are a step down in my experience. I usually try to stay away from Aliexpress because the sellers are real inconsistent with listing one thing and shipping another.

This is a cool source of information, managed to kill 30 mins looking at Yourwobb. Some decent (original) designs mixed up with the knock-offs, especially the neo-classic style moon buggy that I hope isn't a MOC knockoff.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

This is mine if it helps

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Dogen posted:

The answer was I didn’t press the mast together enough with my weak baby arms. That flexible axle has a lot of friction on it.

I still got the second half to build!

That axle was a right pain in the arse. It felt like you were going to snap it. Glad to see you've sorted it out though, enjoy!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

What are your favourite minifigs from this season, people? The Space riot police guy is my absolute favourite at the moment. The throwbacks to the OG colour scheme and Futuron logo with the zipper tick all the boxes. I've bought three so far!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Sloppy posted:

Someone on a Lego Facebook group was posting their Slave I collection and one of the commenters assumed the original Slave I was the OP's lovely MOC :v:

Oh wow, that is....something else.

When did you all notice the shift in design from blocky designs like that, to what we have now? Coming back to it in 2020 after 2010 wasn't as different as it was after taking a break from 1997 to 2010.

Was the change gradual, or did it come pretty much right away that it blew people away?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

What's the punishment for illegal Lego connections? Being locked in a room full of the fingerpuppets staring at you?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The Bloop posted:

You wake up to every one of your antennas looking like this:

Nonononononononononono

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I have the patience of a toddler, so sometimes I just leave them on wonky. I do try to straighten them, but static is a bastard.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

As a kid, I trusted Lego's vision of 2002 with the Ice Planet theme. The real 2002 aesthetic kinda sucked hard.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Cloks posted:

You're all wrong, the best Lego theme is monster fighters.

Wait... what? When was this a thing?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Well I'll be damned, what a cool little theme. Not a bad way to start collecting again by the looks of things. Is the castle any good?

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Waltzing Along posted:

The castle is decent. It was pretty much remade in hidden side last year and had one print run then gone.

The Haunted House is clearly the crown jewel.

Total Addams Family vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

That freaking rules, I love the rear lights!