Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Never mind, I should have read the OP first

Leave fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

If Queen Elizabeth II is married to Prince Philip, why is he just a prince and not a king? Shouldn't someone married to a queen be a king?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

King Consort as a concept isn't really a thing (like there is for Queen Consort), so if Philip was titled king that would be implying he's above or equal to the rightful monarch, which wasn't going to happen.

Edit: I don't think he was even inherently entitled to prince(?)

I never thought about it being that he'd be "above" the queen. I just figured, hey, you marry a queen, you're now a king.

Shut up Meg posted:

He's a prince cause the little lady indoors says he is:

Though, he was both a Greek and a Danish prince before he married her (he had to lose the titles)

E: Actually, the story of their getting together is surprisingly romantic and not the 'marry your cousin because Father tells you to' that you would expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0A9CDP4gUc&t=160s

I had no idea he was a prince before all that, either.

Thanks for the quick answers. It was something that came up when my mother and I were eating lunch today.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Another thread mentioned that, technically, Boris Johnson could run for President of the United States (except he renounced his citizenship), so I was wondering, if someone was elected to two positions like that, how would that work?

And I'm only using Johnson in the example since that's what made me think of this question.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thanks for the answers, but now I'm wondering, how would that affect trade and stuff? Or would it not necessarily have a giant impact?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

In an episode of NCIS, and probably a few other cop shows, the main character shoots a hostage taker, by shooting the guy through the hostage he had (the hostage gave a little consenting nod), and I'm wondering, what kind of legal trouble does that lead to for the shooter? Would the shooter be on the hook for an assault charge?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What does it actually mean to get a key to the city? I'm watching the Mr. Plow episode of the Simpsons, and Homer just got the key to the city.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I figured it was something like that, or maybe that they were like, welcome anywhere in the city for their service or something.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

How come you never (or just very rarely) see lightning during a snow storm?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Thunderstorms require a lot of vertical motion in the atmosphere, which is usually tough to come by in cold-weather storms. Roughly speaking, thunderstorms are driven by the difference in temperature between the ground and the upper atmosphere, which in cold weather generally isn’t big enough.

Thank you. That makes sense.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Can gorillas and other monkeys/apes crack their knuckles like human beings can?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I would think that nearly anything with bones and the musculature pull the joints apart ought to be able to “crack” them.

Primates, certainly.

Makes sense to me, but I've never heard of a primate cracking their knuckles, so I was curious.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I watched supergreatfriend's LP of The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker a while back, and one of the characters mentioned they worked at a church and they were a fully certified pallbearer.

What the hell is a fully certified pallbearer? Is it a UK thing?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Jeza posted:

If a certification exists, it's probably just part and parcel of training under a funeral director. It's not uncommon in the UK for coffins to be carried by professionals rather than family. Like the Ghana meme, but with less dancing.

I thought maybe it had to do with something like if they needed a fill-in to carry the casket, but it just seemed like a weird thing to be certified in. I was kind of wondering if a pallbearer did something different in the UK, but it doesn't seem like it.

Thank you!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

How did they cram so much voiced dialog into old adventure games? Some of these games have just tons of poo poo voiced, and it's kind of amazing, y'know?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

CDs were able to store over a hundred times more than disks, and a lot of games were distributed on multiple CDs. A multi-gigabyte game was entirely possible once CDs became the standard.

Well, yeah, that's a good point. When I was a kid, we had a PC, but not a lot of games for it, so I never really played adventure games when I was younger. I really enjoy LPs of them, and it is still amazing to me how much talking there is.

Thank you!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Platystemon posted:

You can compress the hell out of speech, too. It has a much more limited sonic range than music.

I didn't realize how much you could compress voices. A lot of the voice acting in these games is good, and not just good for the time. It's actually well read and stuff, and I really enjoy it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What is a hermetic seal?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Something that doesn't let air or other gasses through.

Oh, I thought it was some fancy type of seal, like a

litany of gulps posted:

Marine mammal that values privacy and solitude above all else!

Yeah, this right here

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Can someone tell me how the Titles in Tales of Symphonia work? If I equip the title that highlights a stat in green, is that stat given a passive boost or something?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Would it be better to do one or the other, or is that a personal preference type of thing?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I understand why Japan refers to Britain and such as the West, but why does the US get lumped into that? Like, US territory is closer from the East, right?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Follow the sun; I should have known. I mean, if you get the moniker Land of the Rising Sun, you're kind of the authority on direction-based names.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Is there some kind of archive somewhere that I can read old issues of the Nintendo Power magazine?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you. This is awesome; my brother had a subscription to this, and when he decided he didn't want it, my mom asked me if I wanted to keep getting it.

I ordered strategy guides out of the back for Super Metroid and Final Fantasy III. Those were awesome

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Why is printer ink region locked?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Why is 404 the error number? Is there a cool story there?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Oh. Thanks, though! This is the best thread when you're high

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Because English is hosed.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What's the best way to crack my back?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Why do you want to?

Just stiff and poo poo; the heating pad wasn't being as effective as usual. I really just want to be cracked like a glowstick, feeling like Mr. Incredible when he pulled his back

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try some of those stretches and see if they help.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I was flipping through my Steam library and saw the game Dark Sector; in it, the main character has congenital analgesia, where he can't feel pain.

From my own experiences and the people I know, the vaccine tends to beat you down, but how would that affect someone who can't feel physical pain? Like, all the symptoms, but no message from your body that something is wrong?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

BonHair posted:

Not at all what you're asking, but in Denmark, it's called either hashtag (hashtag), firkant (square) or havelåge (garden gate). Guess which one is new and gaining traction while pissing off boomers...

Those boomers and their hatred of squares; it's not the 60s anymore!!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

It's pretty fuckin awesome. Dabs are a step above anything else and are excellent for getting blasted off of your tits

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Anyone have any heated mugs besides Ember? I love my Ember mug, but it's broken down three times in the past 2 years because the collapsible prongs in the base are just a flawed design. Anyone used any of the alternatives?

I've got a few Built brand tumblers that I found at Meijer. They're really nice, and keeps my drinks cold for a long time. I can put ice in them at night and still have solid cubes (and ice cold water) twelve hours later. And I've forgotten it outside, in subzero temperatures, for over an hour and had my hot drink still be hot, even though the tumbler itself was cold as hell.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

If you like it, wear it. Simple as that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Honestly it's less that I care about disrespecting any specific religion, and more about randomly accidentally offending a neighbor. I don't really respect many (any?) organized religions, but people? People I live near? Yeah I don't want them mad.

I didn't think about that kind of thing; that sounds like the norm for the kind of place I work, which is decidedly not.

I'm sorry.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Why do we have to cook our food? Like, plenty of animals thrive eating raw foods, so why do humans need to cook their foods? Besides the obvious of not getting sick, I know that. I also just realized, I don't think I can ask this without looking like an idiot, but whatever, nothing new

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Without cooking we’d spend way more time eating way more food for the same nutritional content. These days in the first world it’d just be boring and annoying, but elsewhere and elsetime that’s a significant survival drain. IIRC thanks to our massive brains we proportionally need a lot more energy than other animals, so we need every advantage we could get.

Edit: and yeah, we’ve been relying on cooking long enough that we’ve evolved in response to it

Thanks for this and all the other great answers. I knew cooking "unlocked" nutrients or whatever, but I never connected that to our brains utilizing those nutrients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

:yeah: