Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Ofecks posted:

That was a pretty intense (:kimchi:) bonus chapter. I read the comments and someone said that the anime made some changes to Kaede's character:

Media response is subjective, so I guess I'll wait and see for myself if the anime makes its way over here.

I gave up on the anime after 3 episodes but I love the manga. Anime Mie is too... conventionally pretty, I guess? She's an adorkable gremlin in the manga, and that's part of what made it click for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Oh, it's out in English already? I'm currently not subscribed to any TV services but I will consider Crunchyroll for my next one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kvantum posted:

I gave up on the anime after 3 episodes but I love the manga. Anime Mie is too... conventionally pretty, I guess? She's an adorkable gremlin in the manga, and that's part of what made it click for me.

Yeah I don't have a lot of issues with the anime, but Mie is supposed to be the cutest gremlin who speaks like a warrior. They didn't do Kaeda and Mie right.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Hokuo Kizoku to Moukinzuma no Yukiguni Karigurashi / The Snow Country Hunting Life of the Northern Nobleman and the Eagle-like Wife

has finished at 100 chapters and is fully scanlated. spoiler: it's good

quote:

A touching story of hunting and romance takes place in the vast expanses of Nature.
Ritzhardt governs a wintry territory far to the north. Sieglinde is a soldier with the nickname "Crimson Eagle."
Ritzhardt falls in love at first sight with her, and they begin their life together… for a trial marriage of one year?!

Hunting reindeer, snacking on nuts, making traditional handicrafts…
In their peaceful and modest life in the land of winter, will the couple truly become husband and wife?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm enjoying Blooming Love. About an arty guy and a drum maker. It's a basic shoujo romance, but it moves quite quickly and the art is cute. Interestingly, they're also out of highschool as of the current chapter. I'd like a little more detail about their respective crafts though - it'd be cool to learn a little about drum making.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chas McGill posted:

I'm enjoying Blooming Love. About an arty guy and a drum maker. It's a basic shoujo romance, but it moves quite quickly and the art is cute. Interestingly, they're also out of highschool as of the current chapter. I'd like a little more detail about their respective crafts though - it'd be cool to learn a little about drum making.

I've enjoyed this one too, really good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Very minor quibble, but this seems a lot more like a shounen romance than a shoujo one (though still fine for this thread since it's for all romance manga).

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
What is the difference? Not being facetious i dont actually know.

I think Shoujo is younger people and Josei is older? But i legitimately have no idea

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ytlaya posted:

Very minor quibble, but this seems a lot more like a shounen romance than a shoujo one (though still fine for this thread since it's for all romance manga).
Ah yeah, it is probably more aimed at the male market. It's got an innocent feel to it and no fanservice, which made me think shoujo, possibly because I have an assumption that shounen stuff is a bit prurient. It's probably in a similar category to something like Ore Monogatari.

ZeusCannon posted:

What is the difference? Not being facetious i dont actually know.

I think Shoujo is younger people and Josei is older? But i legitimately have no idea
Shoujo is for younger girls, shounen for boys, or at least that's my understanding of the demographics. Josei for women, seinen for men.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 3, 2024

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Ytlaya posted:

i agree, its distinctly but softly shonen if that makes sense
it doesnt have the... character designs you often see in shonen romance mangas

you and i are polar opposites feels neutral, that authors previous work is classified as a shoujo but theres no english translations so i dont know the feel of it

as i was writing this i looked it up and turns out someone has started translating it since i last looked it up
https://mangadex.org/title/d2d0b8ea-4dfc-4d72-b584-5b26380f9bed/koori-no-jouheki

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

you and i are polar opposites chapter 47, a cynic's progression

its a taira chapter

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coaaab posted:

Looking through mangaupdates, the scanlators are currently at volume 8 out of 10 total, and the sequel series is now two volumes in.
The DameKoi original and sequel series have now been completely scanlated

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Cool! The first one was one of the first josei series I read. I still wish it would get an official translation, or something a little more polished anyway.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This one is the definition of comfy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New chapter of 'Call of the Night' and it looks more and more like its gonna be a bittersweet ending: https://mangadex.org/title/259dfd8a-f06a-4825-8fa6-a2dcd7274230/yofukashi-no-uta

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Call of the Night is so close to sticking the landing, I really hope it ends strong, even if bittersweet.

I've really enjoyed you, Tsukihime But It's Neko Arc Instead Of Regular.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rody One Half posted:

Call of the Night is so close to sticking the landing, I really hope it ends strong, even if bittersweet.

I've really enjoyed you, Tsukihime But It's Neko Arc Instead Of Regular.

Same. I just want closure, bittersweet or not.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

Shoujo is for younger girls, shounen for boys, or at least that's my understanding of the demographics. Josei for women, seinen for men.

Technically the only truly "objective" way to tell is "what magazine is it published in" (in this case a shounen one).

But broadly speaking yeah, the genres are named after who they're "aimed at" (though in reality there's a ton of crossover).

I think the most surprising situation where a manga's genre was different than I expected was Horimiya (which I thought was shoujo but was in a shounen magazine IIRC).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The last little mini arc for Blooming Love was a really sweet deal and all I want to say is that the innkeeper was the GOAT. The current chapter is full of really good stuff and I particularly enjoyed The drunk senpai just being confused from start to finish with her flirting. This is the right kind of use for denseness in a main character. Interested to see where we go with the art school.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New chapter of "Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro": https://mangadex.org/title/d86cf65b-5f6c-437d-a0af-19a31f94ec55/ijiranaide-nagatoro-san

Getting so close to what hopefully will be a confession.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not going to lie I'm kind of flabbergasted that has happened yet given that I dropped that series what feels like months ago annoyed at how it was dragging it out that I just sort of assumed it would've happened by now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not going to lie I'm kind of flabbergasted that has happened yet given that I dropped that series what feels like months ago annoyed at how it was dragging it out that I just sort of assumed it would've happened by now.

They just did a bunch of key plot point events, so its gotta happen soon

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nate RFB posted:

Honestly, most rom coms drag it out orders of magnitude more than this. If anything this has been brisk. Seems like it will be for real ending here shortly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
'Nother chapter of 'Call of the Night' dropped, should be second to last...:https://mangadex.org/title/259dfd8a-f06a-4825-8fa6-a2dcd7274230/yofukashi-no-uta

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

'Nother chapter of 'Call of the Night' dropped, should be second to last...:https://mangadex.org/title/259dfd8a-f06a-4825-8fa6-a2dcd7274230/yofukashi-no-uta

I was honestly surprised he still retains his vampiric powers. Looks like the ending might not be so bittersweet as expected.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brought To You By posted:

I was honestly surprised he still retains his vampiric powers. Looks like the ending might not be so bittersweet as expected.

Yeah, he even says he doesn't know how long it'll last, my personal theory is that he was already in love with her a bit prior to her, so he may retain them partially indefinitely. But we'll see I guess.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CommieGIR posted:

New chapter of "Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro": https://mangadex.org/title/d86cf65b-5f6c-437d-a0af-19a31f94ec55/ijiranaide-nagatoro-san

Getting so close to what hopefully will be a confession.

yeah nah they are just taking the piss now this is glacial

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New chapter of "The Dangers in my Heart": https://mangadex.org/chapter/022970d2-0810-4644-82da-17b253c96955

Date time!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
After 6 months the sono bisque doll circle shoot has come to an end

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Spookydonut posted:

After 6 months the sono bisque doll circle shoot has come to an end

Now that that's over I hope they all dress up as identical nuns for a year again.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Oh boy oh boy, I sure hope that the main characters continue not talking to each other and brood a lot, that certainly helps me appreciate cosplay more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think giving Gojo a few chapters to work through some things would be neat because so far the guy's killing himself to make this poo poo and the reason for it is something he needs to work through because he's largely been going with the flow and dragged into this.

So Unironically this

Haystack posted:

Oh boy oh boy, I sure hope that the main characters continue not talking to each other and brood a lot, that certainly helps me appreciate cosplay more.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Haystack posted:

it's fine though, marin made up her mind yesterday* that she was going to confess to gojo any minute now

*last year

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think giving Gojo a few chapters to work through some things would be neat because so far the guy's killing himself to make this poo poo and the reason for it is something he needs to work through because he's largely been going with the flow and dragged into this.

So Unironically this

Yeah I completely agree. From his very first costume to this latest one, the poor boy still more or less completely throws his entire life into making costumes, beating himself up over his lack of skills the entire way. And despite what we see as impeccable work, the Haniel costume is the first time they have gotten a significant, industry relevant reaction. Only for Marin is going to get most of that attention.

As acknowledged in the latest chapter, both of them are still basically amateurs at cosplaying. No socials means no recognition beyond what people see in front of them, which means the crowd entirely ignores Gojo. Which over the course of all the circle shoot chapters, is implied to have been like hours of him just standing there being ignored while Marin gets all the attention. We don't yet know if he's feeling down because of jealously, possessiveness over Marin, or inferiority over never quite being happy with his costumes or what, but Gojo clearly needs some time to work through things. We know Marin is a ball of confidence, but Gojo isn't exactly ready for a relationship yet, like at all.

One of the things I find most fascinating about Bisque Doll is that, basically since the end of their first cosplay event (Shizuku-tan), we have more or less only seen Marin's interiority with regards to her feelings for Gojo. And we know Marin is head over heels for the boy, albeit still understandably nervous about moving to the next stage, but Gojo is so caught up in his own world that all we ever focus on since are only his thoughts on his craft. He is still attracted to Marin, and we occasionally see that, but we have seen almost none of his thoughts towards what their relationship is beyond "cosplayer and costume maker". In fact, from Marin's point of view, Gojo appears more or less entirely disinterested in a relationship with Marin. The idea of dating Marin hasn't even crossed his mind.

What I imagine happens is that the original author of Mandate of Heaven will be completely blown over the costume work, eventually leading to significant acknowledge of Gojo's craftsmanship that isn't just from Marin, their high school group, or their little group of cosplay nerds. This, in tandem with Marin's offer to go professional, will trigger an earnest talk about their future together, both in terms of cosplaying and their relationship.

Could it be paced a little better? Yeah sure, especially because the monthly releases are particularly painful. But the story still needs to maneuver both Marin and Gojo to be emotionally ready to move to the next stage of their relationship together. And besides, everyone's so eager to slam their favoruite characters together, but as long as it doesn't egregiously/nonsensically feel dragged out (which I personally do not feel it has been beyond its release schedule, which hey can't be helped), then I'd say let the author cook. I have no doubt all of this will read much better per volume release.

Bonus points even, if this arc leads to Gojo acknowledging that all this cosplay stuff is technically just a side-project for him. What exactly is his future with Marin, considering he never once planned this to be a long-term thing? We now know Marin fully wants to cosplay forever with Gojo, but what does Gojo want?

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 20, 2024

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

also i liked the nun arc it was fun

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Marin needs to just close the deal and confess to Gojo, she's aware that he's suffering and worried now. So c'mon Marin. Do something.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CommieGIR posted:

Marin needs to just close the deal and confess to Gojo, she's aware that he's suffering and worried now. So c'mon Marin. Do something.

SexyBlindfold posted:

it's fine though, marin made up her mind yesterday* that she was going to confess to gojo any minute now

*last year

I don't think that'd be good for either of them nor would it deal with any of his actual issues.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
i think the healthiest thing for gojo is to stop making cosplay and probably reconsider his career as a hina doll maker unless he can establish healthy work/life balance

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Spookydonut posted:

i think the healthiest thing for gojo is to stop making cosplay and probably reconsider his career as a hina doll maker unless he can establish healthy work/life balance

He's depressed and anti-social due to how he feels people will treat him and have treated him over his passions, I don't think abandoning the passions is the right answer. Sure, a healthier work schedule for himself would help, but he needs someone to support him, Marin is the right person for that but she has to get her head out of the cosplay clouds for 5 seconds.

Also - we're talking about Work Life Balance in Japan of all places...

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
New chapter of "The Girl I likeI Date Forgot Her Glasses"
Prepare for cute induced diabetes, cause its another date: https://mangadex.org/title/6d6d9fda-5cd3-40ac-948b-776b1a1a0eb1/suki-na-ko-ga-megane-wo-wasureta

Final chapter of Call of the Night is here: https://mangadex.org/chapter/6c45a4b9-0fde-4f3e-8560-14f4e519e0c8

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 23, 2024