Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Everything Burrito posted:

https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1487108672601927681?s=20&t=XeOybftu9A4GUJchAWXphg
nice!
I liked what I read of this but the scan tl got really awful so I quit following. (age gap plus he's her boss and they live together, very problematic! lol)

e: also I wasn't reading this one but I know some other folks were
https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1487109730598281216?s=20&t=OH61w4_8iitX5PAtLkTJPw

Oh dang, super excited for Kowloon nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Has anyone here read Kaoru Hana wa Rin to Saku? It's a really sweet series so far, with a vaguely Angel Densetsu set up (boy with a really intimidating face is really a sweetheart underneath) plus Romeo/Juliet (the male mc attends a bottom-feeder boy's high while the female mc attends the ritzy girl's school that hates them). It also has a lot of great moments with both the guy and girl friend groups, who aren't just afterthoughts, as well as a pair of extremely supportive parents.

I've been keeping up. It at times feels a little too saccharine, but that is hardly the worst criticism around. I really enjoy it, as a sucker for the gentle/heart of gold delinquent archetype.

Also, it cannot be emphasized enough that the author has gotten 'cute girl smiling' down to a perfected science.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Megamissen posted:

chapter 96.5 for the girl i like forgot her glasses

there is also a new chapter for bisque doll but there are two translations and i dont know which one is better

The Potetto uploaded one of the previous chapters with a GIF that scared the poo poo out of me so they get my vote

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Coaaab posted:

I forget, what series were no longer being scanlated when they got put onto mangaup?

Living With My Brother's Wife, off the top of my head. I hope it'll eventually get physicals but I don't exactly see it as likely. Who knows!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Found another cute one: "Behind the Supermarket, Smoking With You" ; tldr: overworked salaryman visits a grocery store every day because the cashier cheers him up, instead he gets roped into smoking behind the store with another cashier without realizing they are one and the same person.

https://mangadex.org/title/baa95345-24fb-47a9-83e9-434ff671f968/super-no-ura-de-yani-suu-hanashi

This one just recently got announced for an English physical release from Square Enix :toot:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Tabletops posted:

i guess i'm in the yuri zone now

Kimi to Shiranai Natsu ni Naru / Throw Away the Suit
This one is really short at 16 chapters. It started off pretty good... However it's completely character driven and I think the mangaka's character writing is pretty shallow and as the drama unfolds it buckles under the weight of it. The art was great at the start, and it remains pretty good for the whole way but it gets noticeably sloppier and worse over time. I guess it just trends down. I'd say it's worth reading, but not without reservations I guess. This has sounded pretty critical and it is I guess, but it's also cute and there's a lot of good stuff in it as well. Since the next chapter is the last, it's always possible it could get tied up well but I'm not sure it will given the direction it's taken up to now.

Thanks for your thoughts! This one recently got announced for English print (from Seven Seas) so I was wondering about it having not known anything prior. Sounds a bit more like an eh read.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

If this gets any sweeter it's gonna rot people's teeth

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1682645329420886017

Teeth around the world will be spared soon

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Tabletops posted:

heres two for you i guess

The Moon on a Rainy Night
Moon on a Rainy Night is pretty brooding. It's got a lot of melodrama (not in a bad way), characters monologue a lot, it's kind of overdramatic. It's reminiscent of a lot of older romance anime I've seen in that way, I guess you could say it's a mood. At the same time it handles one of the MCs having a disability - being hearing impaired, quite gracefully. It's informative without feeling clinical, it handles it mostly with care and respect. A lot of the story and character drama revolves around it, but it doesn't feel tokenized. I also never thought in my life I'd see the equity vs. equality infocomic (this) used in a manga, but I have now. Definitely wasn't on my bingo card. I wouldn't describe this as fluffy at all. It's also not depressing or anything but it is pretty heavily enshrouded by gay teen girl malaise and it's probably (I say probably because the tl'd portion is 6-8 chapters behind the raws, so I don't know!) a slowburn. I like that one of the MCs at least knows they are gay as hell. They aren't discovering their feelings as much as they are navigating how to, or if they should express them. The art is really striking as well, and the character designs are very good. In any case, it seems like the TL for this may have dropped it unfortunately. It's worth checking out, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Hopefully someone picks it back up.

I read this one after liking the author's other work (Living With My Brother's Wife) a lot. I don't have too much to add what you said other than I also liked it and that, of the striking and beautiful art, I absolutely adore this panel:

Also getting a physical release in September!

edit: though lol what are these SHOES

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I got a delivery!

So, in the spirit of Tabletops, I would like to do some small write-ups on the works of a GL/Yuri Managaka I really adore: Tokuwotsumu.

Ise-san to Shina-san
(Ise-san and Shima-san)
Their first work I happened upon and I think my favourite. Our two main characters are coworkers/roommates in their mid-20s and the story involves their daily lives as they challenge themselves to new experiences, self-improvement, and living together as two people of fairly opposite personalities and interests. The story is a fairly normal slice-of-life/comedy that's super charming and funny, with cute and stylized art and it genuinely brightens my mood in my reads and subsequent rereads (they're just so cute together). The yuri is mostly just capital S Subtext. Late spoilers: the cute, fluffy presentation makes the sudden gut punch in the middle of volume 2 all the more surprising and never fails to get me emotional. Not that it ever gets outright tragic or anything, but it's so tonally disparate compared to everything else before it that it catches you so completely off guard. I love it. More than anything else, this is the work I recommend.

Shuuden de Kaesanai, Tatta Hitotsu Houhou
(Only One Way to Keep Her From Taking the Last Train Home)
Involves an older office lady who, after announcing her resignation from work, is suddenly confessed to by her cute kouhai. Despite, having never dating women before, she decides to give it a shot and the chapters mostly involve their awkward new relationship together. I'm not sure what went on with the publication of this series, as it seems it was intended to be a loosely connected anthology with multiple pairings, but then mostly drops the others in favour of the main two. In any case, it's a pretty light series with the two main characters just being impossibly sweet together. There are some slight themes of what it means for two women to date each other and how to present/hide to general society, but it doesn't necessarily dig into it that deeply and never really loses itself from its overly sweet presentation.

Tsuki to Koi wa Michireba Kakeru
(The Moon and Love Wax and Wane)
A story about a group of four friends and the relationship between two of them as it changes and evolves over ten years. The presentation of this one is interesting as each chapter alternates between their lives in high school and then their lives as mid-20s working adults (with some occasional chapters as 20 year old college students). A bit more angsty than the previous two works, the high school timeline focuses on coming to terms with being in love with someone (particularly someone of the same gender) and the adult timeline deals with themes of hiding a relationship between your coworkers and society as a whole. Noticeably, across the ten years, the two main characters sort of do a 180 in personality and you're left wondering just exactly what happened in the years you don't get to witness. Last chapter impression spoilers: the last chapter abruptly answers this question in a somewhat predictably heart-breaking manner, but the execution and resolution is done well enough that it has continued to stay with me.

Haru Tsuzuru, Sakura Saku Kono Heya de
(Composing Spring in This Room Where Cherry Blossoms Bloom)
The author's most recent work and only just finished getting fantranslations. Our main character is a woman in her 30s, Haru, whose partner Sakura abruptly passed away in an accident 5 years ago. After Haru suddenly finds her partner's diary, Sakura reappears as if she never died. Haru, unsure if she's dreaming or seeing a ghost, decides to relive her partner's diary day by day with Sakura once again by her side.
It's just heart-breaking. It is genuinely just so awful to read (in a good way). What presents itself as a somewhat supernatural story about lovers reuniting very quickly turns into an ugly, naked story about processing grief and revisiting someone long lost to you. You definitely have to be in the right headspace to read this, but if that headspace is "tragic yuri" then by all means give this a shot.
Appropriately, Tokuwotsumu's artstyle has noticeably changed between this work and Ise-san and Shima-san. Characters are no longer super stylized, small and cute, but now have long, tall, flowing silhouettes. There's a fair amount of focus on Haru's hands, with her skinny, visibly boney and almost gangly fingers. It's another knife twist to the gut when you read that she has spent the last 5 years drifting in a semi-fugue and every year around the time of Sakura's death, she shuts down for an entire month. Her hands show just how much weight she's lost over the years.

Sadly, I don't think any of their works will get an official English release, but at least they have enough of a following online for there to be fantranslations for the works I've posted about. I encourage you to read whatever catches your interest!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

StupidNameNobody posted:

Sorry for killing the thread. 😊

I'm dumb and accidentally closed a private tab I was reading something in... And I totally forgot the name of it. Can anyone help me find this again:

It's an easygoing lesbian romance manga where the protagonist moves in with an author who's in love with the protagonist's older sister. The author is facially inexpressive but communicates well verbally and is a huge gift giver. The unfortunate protagonist is constantly being harassed by trash men and even has a stalker, but gets defended by the author.

pls 🙏

Got you fam

https://mangadex.org/title/30c2633b-80bf-4298-80e9-53a600804678/with-her-who-likes-my-sister

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

geez, after all that buildup in sono bisque it just looks like a normal costume to me.

I do really like the colour page, it would have been neat to use that in the middle of the chapter to accentuate the reveal

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1712866794283635118?s=19

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Azran posted:

Somehow missed Insomniacs after School ended. What an extremely bland ending - having to confirm on Twitter that the characters are still together when the final chapter is 90% just the two of them is so bizarre. Didn't care one bit for how open ended it was.

I was also kind of cold on the ending, thought it was a bit abrupt and didn't give us a satisfying epilogue. Until I read some insanely out of pocket theory posted here that, due to the reader never seeing Isaki's face and Ganta's dishevelled appearance, it is implied that she passed away at some point between ending and epilogue.

Now I think the ending is great lol

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think giving Gojo a few chapters to work through some things would be neat because so far the guy's killing himself to make this poo poo and the reason for it is something he needs to work through because he's largely been going with the flow and dragged into this.

So Unironically this

Yeah I completely agree. From his very first costume to this latest one, the poor boy still more or less completely throws his entire life into making costumes, beating himself up over his lack of skills the entire way. And despite what we see as impeccable work, the Haniel costume is the first time they have gotten a significant, industry relevant reaction. Only for Marin is going to get most of that attention.

As acknowledged in the latest chapter, both of them are still basically amateurs at cosplaying. No socials means no recognition beyond what people see in front of them, which means the crowd entirely ignores Gojo. Which over the course of all the circle shoot chapters, is implied to have been like hours of him just standing there being ignored while Marin gets all the attention. We don't yet know if he's feeling down because of jealously, possessiveness over Marin, or inferiority over never quite being happy with his costumes or what, but Gojo clearly needs some time to work through things. We know Marin is a ball of confidence, but Gojo isn't exactly ready for a relationship yet, like at all.

One of the things I find most fascinating about Bisque Doll is that, basically since the end of their first cosplay event (Shizuku-tan), we have more or less only seen Marin's interiority with regards to her feelings for Gojo. And we know Marin is head over heels for the boy, albeit still understandably nervous about moving to the next stage, but Gojo is so caught up in his own world that all we ever focus on since are only his thoughts on his craft. He is still attracted to Marin, and we occasionally see that, but we have seen almost none of his thoughts towards what their relationship is beyond "cosplayer and costume maker". In fact, from Marin's point of view, Gojo appears more or less entirely disinterested in a relationship with Marin. The idea of dating Marin hasn't even crossed his mind.

What I imagine happens is that the original author of Mandate of Heaven will be completely blown over the costume work, eventually leading to significant acknowledge of Gojo's craftsmanship that isn't just from Marin, their high school group, or their little group of cosplay nerds. This, in tandem with Marin's offer to go professional, will trigger an earnest talk about their future together, both in terms of cosplaying and their relationship.

Could it be paced a little better? Yeah sure, especially because the monthly releases are particularly painful. But the story still needs to maneuver both Marin and Gojo to be emotionally ready to move to the next stage of their relationship together. And besides, everyone's so eager to slam their favoruite characters together, but as long as it doesn't egregiously/nonsensically feel dragged out (which I personally do not feel it has been beyond its release schedule, which hey can't be helped), then I'd say let the author cook. I have no doubt all of this will read much better per volume release.

Bonus points even, if this arc leads to Gojo acknowledging that all this cosplay stuff is technically just a side-project for him. What exactly is his future with Marin, considering he never once planned this to be a long-term thing? We now know Marin fully wants to cosplay forever with Gojo, but what does Gojo want?

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

also i liked the nun arc it was fun