Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

I don't read enough Shoujo manga, but one thing I do like is trash-talking, fighting delinquents with hearts of gold, and I just started reading Hana no Asukagumi. It certainly delivers this. Asuka is pretty badass. :)

This is awesome. It's a shame the 27 (!) volumes that are apparently out there will likely never be fully translated. Not to mention a sequel and what looks like a prequel. A drat shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kusaru posted:

Is 35 the most recent? I didn't realize how far behind I was, so I got to read about 5 new chapters today. For anyone interested, volume 3 is going for $6.88 on Amazon right now (it's licensed as Bunny Drop [sorry if that's really obvious]).

Thanks for this. Single dad mangas really are the best mangas.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mura posted:

I just started reading Hiyokoi. I'm like about halfway through, but it's giving a lot of Kimi ni Todoke vibes. I don't think it's on that same level, but I think it's still worth giving a read.

This is indeed really cute. I really hate reading unfinished romance shoujo, though. It always feels as though I run out of chapters right at "the good part."

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ErrantSystems posted:

I don't think I've seen it mentioned but I recently started reading Taiyou no Ie and quite like it. I'm pretty bad at objectively rating series but v:shobon:v, I think it's pretty cute.

I just read through what there is (too little) and I also think it's cute. Good faces. Thanks!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I really, really like Taiyou no Ie. It's so cute, and drawn to match. I'm always a sucker for shoujo that's as much about family as romance. I made myself late for work this morning reading that latest chapter.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

coathat posted:

Well if you don't read chapter 11 right now you might be late again. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/98082/taiyou-no-ie_v3_ch11_by_maigo

It's so good! Like ridiculously good.

I took your advice! This may top my list of favorite running shoujo.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I'm gonna be a horrible person and plug something I translated in here. :shobon:

Husky and Medley is a manga adaptation of 2ch thread from around 2008 or so about a girl trying to get with her classmate with the help of the internet. What sets it apart, aside from it being (sort of) nonfiction, is that it actually goes past that point. The whole thing is a realistically entertaining and downright adorable look into the life of a high school kid and her girlfriend. I reread it just recently and decided to fangirl over everyone remotely willing to listen so forgive me if I sound like an idiot right now :3: but it's something I'm extremely proud of being able to share with the english-speaking world because god dammit it's just so awesome.

http://mangafox.me/manga/husky_and_medley/

Incidentally, this is where Sweetiex2 comes from, for those of you into Vocaloid. So yeah go read it read it now.

That was really cute, thanks!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I've said it before, but I really like this manga. It's just so cute, newest chapter included. Stupid monthly release...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Fruits Basket certainly deserves a mention, and Bonnouji is just fantastically chill, but I'd definitely put Taiyou no Ie in any new OP. It's definitely my favorite currently-running shoujo manga.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

coathat posted:

Chapter 21 of Everybody Love Mao http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-006-Ch-021--The-Girl-Next-Door?id=165203

I'm super pissed that magio didn't get the special edition to scan. Good chapter as always.

It always amazed me how much she manages to fit into each chapter, even given that they're fairly long monthly chapters.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
More Taiyou no Ie (chapters 26 & 27!) seems to have come out without me noticing!

edit: this manga - so cute!

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 18, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Natsume Yuujinchou is about people (loosely defined) being nice to each other and having everything work out nicely. Natsume himself absolutely develops as a character, but, much like with Mushishi or Mononoke, he's mostly the vehicle through which we're told the stories of those around him. I love it.

VVVVVV I love how polite Natsume is to Nyanko-sensei in the anime. He seems like half-pet in the manga, but anime Natsume sincerely treats him like a respected teacher (most of the time).

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 3, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

SennyYak posted:

New chapter of Ore Monogatari!

So many good things about this chapter. Yamato's :3: face was adorable. Her friends' reactions are my favorite:

Yamato: "I thought I was going to die..."
Friends: :aaa:
Yamato: "But since I was with Takeo-kun, I felt safe!"
Friends: :blush:
Yamato: "There was a wild boar, though..."
Friends: :confused:

I somehow wasn't aware of this manga, but reading the page this spoiler references convinced me to rectify that. The first time I saw it, though (perhaps because of a lack of context), I had forgotten that dying can be a euphemism for orgasming in Japanese. Oh my. No wonder the friends' exaggerated reactions.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I probably originally heard about from this thread, but I just found that I had the Hotarubi no Mori e movie downloaded and gave it a watch. It was delightful, if melancholy. I don't mind sad endings, though, so that didn't hinder my enjoyment of it. I loved the Natsume Yuujinchou feeling of it. Gin's voice sounded so much like Natsume's that I had to check twice to make certain it wasn't the same guy.

I highly recommend y'all give it a watch.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a new Taiyou no Ie on the manga site of your choice. It is a pretty great one with boatloads of progression and oogy woogy family bonding :3:. I am wondering if the series is wrapping up, they've been tying up a bunch of loose ends as of late. If Mao winds up going with Hiro, I hope it doesn't just end there, but it probably will.

That doll she wanted was super phallic.

Also, the chapter was super cute.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Chapter 43 of Taiyou no Ie is out, and it's a bittersweet goodbye to the house of the sun. I hope it's only the beginning of a new life for them and this isn't the beginning of the epilogue, but we'll see. It's adorable and so far, this series has been absolutely outstanding, funny, cute, and with some great drama too.

poo poo's getting penultimate up in here.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

coathat posted:

Also volume one of My Love Story!! (Ore Monogatari!! In Japanese) is finally in stores. If you haven bought it yet you better get it soon.

Thanks, I wasn't even aware that this was licensed. Picked it up yesterday.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

L-O-N posted:

Are there any romance manga/anime where the main character ends up with someone other than the first guy/girl(aka "destiny person") they see?

Destiny is cool, but I'd rather read something that breaks the mold as well.

If harem counts as romance, Ichigo 100% does this. It's not a good manga, though. My only excuse for reading it is youth.

Oh, and the Shuffle! anime. But again, harem, not all that good (better, though).

edit: spoiler tags, why not

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DoubleDonut posted:

So do we have any idea what's up with Sengoku's arm that he's so embarrassed about?

I think the previous short chapter is supposed to answer that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I like how Gouda's name has exclamation points on both his name tag and apartment name plate.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
After becoming aware that What Did You Eat Yesterday? was licensed, I picked up the first volume today. I enjoy it as much as I remember, and the English version seems solid. I wouldn't mind a few notes on Japanese cooking in back, but I understand that it's not really trying to be a primer on Japanese cooking for westerners.

I've read plenty of yuri and straight romance stuff, but this is pretty much the only BL/yaoi stuff I've ever gotten into. I think it's been asked before, but is there anything else out there that's A) good, B) not rape-y, and preferably C) involving adults? I suppose I'd prefer D) less explicit, but that's secondary to A-C.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Kusaru posted:

Try -
Ichigenme wa Yaruki no Minpou by Yoshinaga Fumi - same author as WDYEY, about two guys in law school.
Hana wa Saku Ka? by Hidaka Shoko - 20yr old art school student and 30-something businessman. Super slow progress, ongoing.
Kuimonodokoro Akira and Koi no Hanashi ga Shitai by Yamashita Tomoko - 20-something guy and 30-something guy who work at a restaurant and guy falls in love with friend-of-a-friend plus some one-shots
Darenimo Aisarenai and Saigo no Door wo Shimero by Yamada Yugi - translator and publisher who are former classmates and two guys who meet at a wedding.

Those all fit A-C, and D assuming my memory is accurate.

Thanks, friend! I will check these out.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
A fine reminder. With every purchase my bookshelf groans. This is unsustainable, but My Love Story!! is worth it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've only read the first few volumes, but Red River is really good and fits your criteria. The premise is pretty similar to Fushigi Yuugi but executed much better with a much more likeable protagonist.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Coaaab posted:

Better than the 'most ordinary boy in school' leads that litter most male-targeted romances.

Then maybe you can explain how I'm supposed to enjoy the story if the main character has a trait that I don't.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I just caught up on the last dozen or so pages of this thread after falling behind on my shoujoing. Now I have way to many new series to check out. These tabs will never go away...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

pandabear posted:

The latest chapter of Last Game is out.
If they go any slower/be any more dense I am giving up - please do not just have them sitting in a room blushing on separate ends of a couch for the entirety of the next chapter.

I like Last Game. It makes me feel feelings.

That said, I feel you, friend. OTOH, it's all cute enough that personally am not going to be giving up on it any time soon.

I think it might be my favorite ongoing shoujo now that Taiyou no Ie has ended, although it's too late for me to think of more than a handful of others that I'm following.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Yona is like FY except that it's good.

That's what I say about Red River (what I've read of it, at least). I dropped Yona after a few episodes because it seemed like the first half of your sentence.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Stretch has the loudest subtext ever, and I'd argue it's already turned that corner.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

New Taiyou no Ie, a side story about Oda and Chihiro. It's super cute. Also, Oda's sisters really suck.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Taiyou-no-Ie/Vol-011-Ch-044-001--Rabbit-and-Mirage?id=223327

That is super cute (not that I'm surprised). I think that Oda is dumb, independent of his sisters sucking (which they do).

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

What could possibly go wrong in a Horimiya chapter titled "Murderous Desires".

I feel like I'm rolling dice and consulting an arcane table whenever a new chapter comes out.

"Oh, you rolled a 3, a 4, and a 6? Then... the chapter only lightly highlights the less healthy parts of their relationship, is still cute, and has a terrifying name."

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Stretch is always cute. Even short chapters are eagerly devoured. I think my favorite part of their developing relationship (?) is how Keiko begins stretching on her own without Ran around.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Just finished what's available of High Score Girl. The first few chapters were a bit slow. I almost dropped it, though I'm glad I didn't.

Verdict: it is cute.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

snk is being a bitch so there will probably never be more of it, sorry

Wait, what? But there was a preview for the next volume, so there should be at least that much out there raw, right?

It is strange that they would decline free advertising.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Someone at some point recommended Henshin Ganbo. It was cute, thanks.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Tamen de Gushi has the broest bro since My Love Story, and it's great.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

nothings posted:

The next two chapters of Kakukaku Shikajika are out (yes, this is different from the previous announcement of two new chapters).

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kakukaku-Shikajika/Vol-005-Ch-031-Read-Online?id=226402

Only two more chapters after this and it's over.

Two more chapters after this and I will finally read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

Latest chapter of Stretch is too adorable. ...I related to the candle scene way too much :negative:

Stretch is always adorable.

...except when it's sad.

..which it's not this time!