Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It's your first tournament, so my advice to you is just to enjoy yourself. Unless you have always won at everything forever and must maintain that record, just RELAX and have fun. As long as you are doing the hug-fighting for recreational purposes, might as well enjoy yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Matt D'Aquino's stuff on his youtube page is pretty good for fitness and some technique stuff. Search for "beyondgrappling'. He's an Aussie olympic judoka and I think a purple belt, and put alot of good information up online.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Health Question: started showing athletes foot about 3 weeks ago, immedietly started treating with OTC medication. (Clotrimazole* generic CVS brand). Right now my feet look/feel much better, just some peely skin. I've been busy/out of the country so I haven't even had the chance to practice Judo, but once I get back next week, should i g2g? What sign should i look for.

EDIT: Brain Fart/Tired post.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 18, 2011

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Don't want to sound preachy, but for Nierbo/anyone else competing for the first time, just remember to relax and have fun. No point in doing it if you're not enjoying yourself.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I find that O-goshi occurs the most following a strong hip check against a forward throws. After the check, one person steps around and does it. However, due to how the step around works, if one blocks a right handed throw attempt, their ogoshi counter is left sided and vice versa.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

gosh/kosh = hip
harai = sweep

o-goshi = major hip (throw)
harai goshi = sweeping hip throw

makkikomi (wrap around) is very popular among lower ranks, especially big men, because it only requires one hand on your opponent. The other wraps across your body and you just throw your weight into it. It becomes significantly less effective once opponents learn to block with their hips.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRUfA-N5vEw

Prepare yourself for some silly ippons and subs

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Got thrown like a cartoon character tonight. Had to take a breather for a minute. It's been a a while since I was thrown that hard. Feels good to remember that I'm not actually any good at Judo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I really like doing ogoshi by grabbing the belt, but again, I usually only do it after hip checking and stepping around my opponent, so I'm already in that deep. As far as turning attacks go, I personally play a lot of uchimata, and drop seoinage cause I have no regard for my knees.

On another note, I bought and watched (and watched, and watched, and watched) the Kosei Inoue DVD set from fighting films, and I really love it. For anyone who has at least been introduced to Judo, I would recommend getting it.

Nierbo posted:

Alot of the Russian technique variants feel better for me.

I know that these exist, but can you elaborate on what this exactly means? Do you mean you play from the Russian over the top cross grip?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Judo, for all its dumb rules, is still very fun to practice and exciting to watch.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Did you get a chance to watch Russian Judo?

I did not, the low youtube resolution is bothersome to me :(

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Alternatively, they'll think that they know how to cycle whatever they're using and beat the tests, and fail hilariously.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

There seem to be a ton of injuries in the Kumite videos. Is that standard for brown/black belt competition? Or are the guys just competing with a little extra macho in their blood cause of internet fame?

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 27, 2013

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

As annoying as all the new rules in Judo are, it's still distinctively judo for people who are practicing. And it's still an olympic sport, which is a pretty big deal.

And to be clear it was a Mongolian, not a Russian who made everyone look silly with his double leg. Not that russian's weren't.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Sorry if this has been posted, but its a pretty good video highlighting Judo in BJJ competition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgkNZeoVSG0

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Weighed myself for the first time in about 5 months. 234 pounds. FUUUUUUCKKKKK now I have to try and poo poo before I become a giant fat piece of poo poo.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Crossposting this from the A/T MA thread

Tokai University's Judo Team will be training in Georgetown (DC) Wed and Fri night this week. If you're within driving distance, I suggest coming down for the chance to get your poo poo thrown around by some top tier Judo players.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

origami posted:

It's a combat sport; you need to apply the submission with force.

There's also context. Not all competitions are equal.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

For DC area goons - a top tier Japanese Judoka from Tokai University will be at Georgetown University the next 2 weeks. From what I've been told, he beat the 2016 Olympic Bronze Medalist at -100kg in a domestic tournament.

Practice will be from 730-930 Monday, Wednesday and Friday next 2 weeks in case you're interested.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Unless youre training for like, worlds or some poo poo, there's no reason to not tap whenever you suspect you have a problem. It's practice and most people are hobbyists, no reason to go full helio and break your arm for pride. Especially with American health care lol.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Apparently we have another white belt mat bully in our gym again. I loving hate this poo poo. The first time I rolled with this dude he attempted to smash me when he got on top. Grinding his loving elbows into my face while in my guard. I managed to get to his back and crank his face (I was mildly pissed). At the second open mat, I watch him smash someone that was maybe 120, fresh new white belt while smiling. Im thinking "you and I got next buddy". The dude attempts to bull rush me with his head but I got a nice little counter from the wizzer and got him on his side and then proceeded to setup a bow and arrow. His body literally made a 45 degree angle for a second.

Fast forward to last night and my wife is rolling with this dude and he drops his rear end on her head. She said she heard a crack in her skull and is worried about her neck. She says her neck feels fine today but is worried about him doing that with someone that is much smaller than she is. This is the same rear end in a top hat that wanted to get revenge on a black belt that beat his rear end.

Anyway, I loving hate mat bullies and honestly I probably shouldn't roll with him again at open mat hence I lose my poo poo and hurt him.

Talk to the instructor. They should be preventing that sort of poo poo. If they don't, then it might be a problem with the gym.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

If you train seriously you need to condition/care/rehab for your body just as seriously. Yoga is a super great way to do that.

A challenging vinyasa class will seriously expose lack of flexibility/core strength as well. If you can afford it I highly recommend throwing in a yoga class a week to go with BJJ. It’s done wonders for my back and other soreness problems associated with training.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Verisimilidude posted:

About 3 months into judo at my school and I'm wondering if anyone has any exercise plans for judo/grappling that they could share. I'm pretty fit, and have been doing calisthenics for over a year now. My workouts typically go in push/pull days with push days consisting of push up regression, weighted dips, and bodyweight squats, and pull days consisting of pull ups, L-sits/leg raises on parallel bars, and deadlifts (current bodyweight is 145lbs, with 3x5 deadlifts at 215lbs).

I'm looking for a stricter routine since I've noticed I've lost a bit of progress from where I was a few months ago. Any resources would be fantastic.

Thanks!

I used to be on the USA Judo points ladder - but not very high so take all this with a grain of salt.

Program specifics won't matter unless you advance much, much farther into your career. If you have the energy to lift 3 times a week and train 4/5 times a week, go for it. Otherwise, just sticking to any generic strength program will help immensely, as long as you commit to it. Discipline is more important than specifics for conditioning at the 3 month mark. If you've never done a dedicated weightlifting program, 5x5 is solid. But do weights, stick to the program, and train hard.

More important than conditioning outside of the gym is working hard on the mat. Nothing is a substitute for hitting your drills hard, correctly, and high quality randori/rolling. If you can swing it, do your live rounds where you start standing and continue through on the ground. Doing full standing/groundwork rounds is the single most exhausting thing there is and will get you in competition shape if you push hard.

But the most important thing is to enjoy yourself. Judo is lifetime thing, don't worry about optimizing stuff/olympic poo poo/etc unless you're already on the path to elite Judo and know how to avoid burnout.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

If you are serious about competing in no-gi and training for it, you should follow whatever the rules are for competition. If you're just messing around with some no-gi then who care.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey folks - want to get ya'll's opinion on some weight stuff. I've competed and trained for a long time in Judo and some in BJJ and always fought at 220 without thinking about it. That being said, I'm currently 215 - right in the middle between heavy and super heavy. I'm thinking about dropping to 208 for a BJJ tournament in March though, a weight class that doesn't exist in Judo.

First, I suspect there will be more matches at tournaments with people at a lower weight class. Second, I want to lose the weight for my long term health/fitness/vanity.

I want to compete in just over 6 weeks. Do you all think it's feasible/healthy to cut that weight in that time in a non-stupid water weight based way? And am I worrying too much about getting in enough matches? I'm tired of showing up and only having 1-2 guys in the super heavy to compete against.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thanks for the feedback on weight chat. I think I can make the weight work. Looking more closely at the rules, I think it's likely that the weight classes will not be strictly enforced at a local tournament. But I will still pursue the weight cut out of my own interest.

500 calories a day doesn't seem so bad to cut back on.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Curious for some perspective:

I've been considering competing again.

What do y'all think?

I'm going to float it at the gym but most of the serious comp guys are 20 something and semi-pro so idk if they'll have the perspective for a solid answer.

Win or lose, doesn't matter. Just being back out there is a good thing to do for itself. I'm getting back into competing after a long layoff myself. I know I'm never gonna be a champ, that's fine, being competitive at locals is all I'm aiming for. My only goal is no catastrophic injuries, and that's mostly on myself knowing how to take a good fall, avoid bad situations, and tapping at the right time.

I don't think at brown belt there will be as many spazzy guys as blue belt either.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Went to my first post-pandemic practice yesterday and I'm so happy to be back. Gonna train for a local tournament at the end of July.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Has anyone used a reverse hyper to strengthen their lower back? Just wondering if this has helped at all on the mat. I managed to pull my lower back (again) over the weekend :(

Reverse hypers are good, but lower back pain and injuries can be caused be a number of other issues. Hamstring tightness, weak abs/core strength are usual suspects.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

My gym has a vax check for new folks, and is pretty strict about keeping sick people out and cleaning mats. We had breakout cases (I got hit in the omicron wave) and people drop out for a while until they're clear.

Good gyms have good hygiene and protect health. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll ever be in a place without COVID again, so it's sort of about managing risk for yourself and the people around you.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

A lot of getting good at Judo is learning to train standup sparring at less than 100% win-now mode that many BJJ guys are used to from their rolling sessions.

You need to learn to feel how people move and react, which is difficult when you are tense and exerting yourself a lot. This can be difficult when you're training partner is more interested in pushing the pace. Good judo randori when you're not trying to ramp up for a tournament should almost feel like a cross between sparring and dancing.

This all to say, Judo looks super ugly even for skilled Judo players a lot of the time, and requires a good amount of dedicated practice on your feet to become comfortable executing more techinical throws. Many elite judo players only have 1 or 2 techniques they feel comfortable using in competition, even if they 'know' a lot more throws.

Developing throws takes time, even for elite judo players.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

accidental double post

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

That's a great drill and very valuable. My first school called it cooperative randori. I think a more familiar term is flow rolling.

It's an exchange of techniques, not a fight.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

You generally shouldn't be thinking 'what move am I going to do' when a match starts. You should know your moves and have a plan on how to do them.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Maybe BJJ shouldn't go to the next level, if this is currently the best the sport has to offer.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

knuthgrush posted:

There's gonna be some schadenfreude here I think, though. See I'm older and all these folks I choked yesterday are at least 10 years younger than me. If they stick with it, they'll outpace me in short order and then I will be the recipient of revenge chokes...

Pray for my neck in 6mo, please.

The first generation of American kids who trained in BJJ from a young age are gonna be insane. Niche sport, with the resources and psycho sports parents of bigger sports behind them. Cole Abate is just the first.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Yeah the belt system becomes pretty broken in such cases

I really like how in Judo brown belts often are allowed to just compete with black belts at most tournaments. BJJ might benefit from a similar approach, with fewer divisions and more competition.

Yes, there will be skill gaps. The point is to let people compete through those gaps.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

1) Talk to the coach about this dynamic.

This is the correct path forward. You need to find the best environment for your son to learn and work with his coaches to create that environment. Kids are weird and bad at communicating their feelings - something very obvious to you might not be obvious to anyone else.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Unless you're being a dick about it, theres nothing wrong with dominating a practice roll. It's part of the sport and martial art to learn to meet those obstacles and adapt. You can become a good short/medium term goal for them, and yourself. Push yourself to work on other techniques, and they can develop their defensive skills.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Throwing people is hard and it takes a long time to develop one good reliable throw you can go to in randori. Even elite Olympic judoka often don't have more than 1 or 2 throws they feel confident pulling out in a live situation. These are often people who have trained since they were a young age, and mostly just have good fundamentals, athleticism, but only 1 main move and a counter to the primary defense of that main attack.

They can demonstrate/"know" more, but in practice they only have a few things they stick with.

Don't be hard on yourself if you don't start nailing the throws you are shown. It might take you time to get your body/flexibility/agility/conditioning up to where it needs to be, on top of learning the Judo fundamental that are hard to articulate in training, like how to move your feet and setup a throw. Also, those techniques might not end up being your main/favorite technique that fits your own body and way you move.

Honestly, think of it like learning a really hard fighting video game and don't get discouraged if you can't pull of cool moves in the first year or so of training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

There is a reason Judo is less popular among adult competitors than BJJ - it's more athletically demanding and requires you to be good on your feet, which many people never developed as a youngter and don't have the ability to develop as adults due to circumstances or age.

That being said as someone who does both, hitting submissions is neat, but nothing gives me a dopamine rush like nailing a perfect throw. It's tough to learn, but the payoff is worth it if you stick it out.