Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Im the hospital with my wife whose about 8 hours into labor. I don’t know how anyone deals with the stress of this. All the docs said things are perfect, but now there are decels and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I wanna puke.

Edit: baby and mom are fine. Christ.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Well thread, my wife and I took the thread advice of "always be bangin" a little too close to heart and I'm pretty sure we're pregnant now. Started to suspect it last week while we were on vacation, decided to wait to take a test until we got back, test today confirmed it. She's booking an appointment with her OBGYN early next week and I guess it's go-time now. I don't think it's fully sunk in for either of us lol.

Now what? To be clear, this is something we wanted to do right about now, I just didn't expect it to take so quickly since we went through an embryo freezing procedure earlier this year that was a total wash. I guess for now I try not to get too worked up and listen to what her doctor says?

The number one stressor past 3 months or so for my wife was sleeping comfortably, so if you have a crappy mattress or a small bed, it might be good to start researching those things.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

My Shark Waifuu posted:

Congrats! The first month is pure survival mode, do whatever you need to keep everyone fed and rested, and ignore everyone else. My food tip is to make sure your wife always has water and snacks within arms reach. I know I spent a lot of time sat holding a sleeping baby, and water/Gatorade/date balls kept me going.

Yea, this. Just do what you gotta do to get through it. If it’s at all applicable, family is fine to help, but what’s truly valuable is finding a rhythm that works for the three of you. We had a baby during covidtimes, which enforced the fact that it was just us, and I really treasure those first few months.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

midori-a-gogo posted:

I'm 14 weeks now with my first, much-wanted baby and had my first ultrasound last week which was all very good news. I'm the one with a diagnosed anxiety disorder but my husband is so worried he doesn't even want to talk about "fun" things like names until after the 20 week anatomy scan, which is also when he'd like to start telling people. I'm fine with waiting longer to tell people in principle, but he doesn't even want me to tell my manager at work yet, even though I'm increasingly needing time off for appointments which I'm entitled to! I have a small frame so I'm starting to show already and it's getting a little awkward.

I find it difficult to understand because he is really excited about having a baby, he just doesn't want to get excited about this one in particular yet (though we've never had a miscarriage or literally any reason for concern). Has anyone else dealt with something like this? I almost feel like I'm not allowed to be excited and it's getting me down, but I want to be supportive of his concerns, too.

I was anxious in a similar way, tho maybe not that extreme. There are a ton of things outside his control or ability to effect, and that can be a rough transition. I had people telling me all the way up to the baby being born to just chill and let nature do it’s thing which is easier said than done.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

My wife has 8 weeks to go and experienced severe stomach cramps, which led to vomiting and diarrhea at 2 in the morning. It didn’t get better, but our Doppler said the baby was doing fine. Still, she went to the hospital where they ran a viral screen, took her vitals etc. negative for everything, and the likely cause was…dehydration? They said it was pretty common and dehydration can even lead to premature labor. 2.5 bags of fluids later and all is well. Just a heads up, as that was a lovely few hours.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Also small tip for gearchat: we got a pack and play for our first, which is a generally useful thing to have through 2 years old (so far: naps at grandparents, traveling) and we used that as our bassinet in our room until 6 months, even though we had an assembled crib in her room. Starting at 4 months, we’d put her down for naps in her proper crib so she could get used to it, and then phased in nighttime sleep there. Seemed to work pretty well for us.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

4 weeks to go and the baby is breech. Wife is doing the ice and flashlight combo, along with a good amount of stretching every night. Are there any other tips to get that baby to flip? The OB scheduled the c-section that we’d really like to avoid

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

cailleask posted:

I found these exercises to be really useful when I needed to move my son into position. He was cocked sideways and wouldn’t engage, and then after a week of doing the circuit… he did. https://www.spinningbabies.com/pregnancy-birth/baby-position/breech/flip-a-breech/

Hey, this worked!

We we’re scheduled for an eversion? I think it’s called? A manual manipulation to get the baby out of breech which is supposedly extremely uncomfortable. Before they did anything, they did an ultrasound and she flipped on her own!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

The nurses were chatting with us and said one doctor doesnt offer any pain relief, no epidural no nothing and the procedure always fails with them. We go a large hospital and they said they only do 3 or 4 a month, so they seem pretty uncommon, maybe there just isn’t a standardized procedure?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Our newborn wont take a binky, and also her latch got worse after 2 months and it turns out she had a tongue tie that we didn’t notice so that can go on the list of suggestions: make a huge list of questions to ask the pediatrician. We kept a running list between visits and went over it on the days before a visit. It’s a pretty lovely feeling to come home from the Peds having forgot something you wanted to bring up

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 9, 2023

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

With baby 1 we didn’t use a sterilizer and we spend a shitload of time washing bottles (which isn’t all bad, i remember those bottle washing sessions very fondly as quiet podcast time).

We got one for baby 2 because saving that time seemed like a good idea, and while it does have some negatives (counterspace, still have to organize 20 things after, a little cramped) it’s definitely worth it imo.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

marchantia posted:

Yeah we also just did soap and water - I hand washed for like 2-3 months then started putting them in with our regular dishes in the dishwasher and ran it thru a sterilize cycle. I hand washed with separate brushes I suppose. We did boil formula water for campylobacter concerns but they only recommend that for the first 2 months.

We just did soap and water as well. I’d def recommend a drying rack that’s able to accommodate a lot of random poo poo. We got the one that looks like grass and has a tree attachment for nipples, and we just made that space the place where only extremely clean things ever go. My wife gave up trying to boil-sanitize the breast pump parts and just used the tiny brushes similar to above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Mad Wack posted:

oh also my wife swears by this for breastfeeding - https://easyjug.com/

Jesus Christ my wife would love this. Her ragtag collection of the largest cups we own just ain’t doing it.

As for other things, and I could be off on this, a big one is comfortable maternity clothes. We had a ton of handmedowns from well-off family and my wife’s life was made a LOT easier by having lots of high quality and functional maternity wear.

The thing that I got her that she gets the most use out of is YouTube premium, along with nice earbuds to make sitting in a dark room for potentially hours bearable.