Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Looooong ago I used to love photography and had a lot of fun shooting and developing B&W. But then the 90s came and I got caught up in my career and basically gave it all up. Since then I've had a couple of point & shoots and of course nowadays have fun with my phone camera, but I've decided to take the plunge again with some better gear. So I plunked down for a Fujifilm X100F.

It's incredibly fun but I realize I have to actually re-learn everything about photography as a beginner again since it's literally been 36 years since I learned and around 26 years since I took photos worth a drat. But it really, really feels good to have fun with a camera again, and I'm really amazed at this little beast and what it can do. Having the ACROS film simulation is a treat as well for me since that was my favorite B&W film way back in the day.

May I ask any good places to re-learn a lot of the technical aspects of photography, including modern digital and what is can do? Sorry, I'm completely out of the loop and forgot so much about aperture, focal lengths, etc (and modern ISO possibilities are insane to me). Thanks from the old guy. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kenny Logins posted:

Yo GYV. If you have archives I did a rookie thread here that would be a good launching point for a refresher.

I'll probably do a revamped thread at some point in the next couple months, the goal/format for contribution I chose wasn't a winner first time around.

Thanks! :) edit: GYV? :confused:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 13, 2018

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

I believe there's a single remaining camera store in the entire city of SF. One question about the X100F: how does the "hybrid" viewfinder work? Does it just overlay info or can it actually display what's coming from the sensor? I can't find a good description of it anywhere.

BTW I got my X100F at Fireside Camera on Chestnut.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Lulu confused by Classic Chrome

Lulu! by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

Wild EEPROM posted:

overexpose to get rokit metered properly, otherwise the camera will underexpose and he will just be a blob

Rokit, a handsome lad by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

Yeah I've only been able to get good shots of him with lots of direct light. Thanks for that info, how digital handles situations like that are completely knew to me! :D

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

Does Fuji let you turn off AE and use the touchscreen to pick your metering point? I assume that's a standard feature on everything but I never really thought about it.

The x100f doesn't have a touch screen but a little joystick that you can do this so yes and I assume so on their other cameras. I focused on Rokit's eyes on that second photos doing just that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm not well enough versed in lens physics to know if this question is monumentally stupid or just mildly stupid: Is there any possibility on an attachable macro lens for the x100f being made?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ugh whatever jeez posted:

Macro filter is something you screw into your lens filter thread, they wary in quality. Simple cheap ones are just one lens, I think good recommended one is Raynox DCR-250. Haven't personally used those so someone probably knows better.

Fake edit: X100 doesn't have filter thread :pwn: need adapter for that...

It does have a thread?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

8th-snype posted:

It has a thread that you can attach an adapter to to get a normal thread. You couldn't screw a close up filter on the male thread present because it would be backwards.

Ahhh ok, thanks for the clarification.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I like Roz.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have to admit I got one of those half-cases with large padding on the right side for my X100F because I have big mitts and it makes it much easier for me to grip. :shobon:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

My X100F accessory illness is well underway, I bought both the "lens cap fits over it" and "1960s Leica war photographer cosplay" lens hoods from JJC since both of them together are still 1/3 the price of the Fuji one. I'm going to hit the Peak Design store tomorrow to look at their straps [but not DSPTCH because it's cinco de mayo and gently caress going to Valencia Street].

The size is still the biggest thing to get used to, I can see why a lot of people just go for larger bodies since as soon as you can't fit it in your pocket an inch or two aren't much of a deal. Also the lens cap, I know people are like "no worries just use a hood" but for some reason I'm super paranoid about scratching it. Maybe I'll slide further down the accessory grognard slope and get a filter.

Yeah I just have a UV filter under the hood and don't worry too much about the lens.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bobfather posted:

I still think Fuji do great things in terms of both lenses and bodies, but a growing number of folks are starting to call Fuji out for effectively releasing new cameras with beta software that get completed 6-12 months later with "kaizen" updates that should have been in the camera to begin with.

Counterpoint: people like me who buy them around a year after they come out get full benefits! :chord:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have the peak design backpack and love it but have been thinking of the 10L sling. I think I’ll go check it out

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeh the side panels on the backpack are built like that and it’s amazing and why aren’t all zippered carriers built like that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

In 2022 there will be a M10-DR with realistic haptic winder-feel and a built in speaker that plays gear and spring noises. It will cost twenty thousand dollars.

wanna see the knobfeel review of dat camera

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yes. :colbert:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just got the X-T3 (I still love my X100F but I wanted weatherproofing and changeable lenses) and am loving it so far. I'm never one to really check news sites, just reviews, so I had no idea that the X Pro3 was coming. It really looks like a peach but after seeing some things I am glad I picked up the X-T3 instead of waiting for the new X Pro. I am curious to see more and more reviews and photos from it though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Does Fujifilm usually include the new film simulations for other cameras in their firmware updates? I’m keen to be able to use the new ones that the X Pro3 has on my X100F and X T3 eventually

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress you FedEx for not delivering my goddamned 50mm lens today for 'reasons'. t:mad:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

Fujirumors just posted that the X-Pro 3 "articulated screen [but not the way you wanted]" is strictly an X-Pro feature and will not carry through to the X100 or other X cameras. THere's also rumors that they might weather seal the X100.

Damnit I'm a sentimental idiot and wouldn't want to give up my X100F but upgrading to a weather sealed version... I'd have to do it.

I'm really enjoying my X-T3, especially since I got my 50mm lens even though I haven't had a ton of time to go out and use it. But god drat the X-Pro3 is pulling at my nostalgia strings.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ola posted:

A pack of bird seed is a fraction of the price of a super tele and yet it has more range.

:eyepop:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

As long as we all agree Canon and Nikon are poo poo.

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

President Beep posted:

Pshh. Not me. I get compliments on mine all the time.

:gowron:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah that X100V compromise weather sealing is ok I guess, but zero reason for me to upgrade. I have been using my X-T3 a lot lately but have to get out my X100F more now that the weather is permitting. I miss shooting with it.

But that X-Pro3 keeps calling me with it's siren song from the distance... I had no idea that it was coming and I got my T3 literally less than a week before it was released and I am pretty sure I would have gone for the X Pro instead. :sweatdrop:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I did it I ordered a x-pro3 and it’s arriving today I’ve become the monster

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

Just curious are most Fuji folks shooting raw+jpeg or something else?

I'm doing the raw & jpeg with my x-t3 by having the jpgs go to one memory card and the raws to the other and I loving love that it works.

Edit: the reason for me is that I often take photos of Japanese vinyl toys and the garish colors are often exaggerated by JPGs. Occasionally I like taking photos and color correct so it comes out right. This is especially true with some of the reds and pinks that are used in the vinyl and paints.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 26, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I'm an old so I use the viewfinder on my Fujifilms 95% of the time while shooting. Honestly I don't look at the photos too much for anything other than composition though until I've uploaded them. :/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

They meant motherfuckers. :colbert:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah my iPhone 8 connected easily and my 11 Pro is a crap shoot

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fuji put out a brown X100F for a while. I actually wanted one. :shobon:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh yeah for sure. But still, I'm a sucker for such things.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

I've decided to bite the bullet and get an X100V, planning to grab this filter for bad weather times. My local camera place says they're doing trade-ins but I'm not optimistic about how much they'll give me given it seems like I could get $700-750 easy for my F on ebay [KEH quoted $550].

I tried to give you money for lenses, Fujifilm, but it was not to be.

Wait that filter gives some weather sealing to the 100f?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ah well. Yeah I don't have the kind of money to upgrade my F to the V so that was worth a shot. My XT3 has weather sealing but I enjoy my X100F's compact nature for just taking out and around.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Capture One just announced that they are working on a release for the new iPad :woop:

Coming 2022 :negative:

Nonetheless I'm stoked as hell for this.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah since I'm a Fuji Fanboi this is definitely great news. Honestly now I doubt I'll upgrade my 2015 MBP for a bunch more years since I'll be able to use Capture One on the iPad. I'm stoked about this.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I still like my 35mm f2 on my X-T3 but I do admit I go for my 23mm more often.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well one of my cats was mad at me and peed on my X100F. 😑

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Sounds like you might get a new film simulation PISS PRO NEG

:xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

drat I hope Fuji drop some new X100V stock along with XH2. I’ve been waiting to buy one for months..

With Japan finally opening for tourists next month I expect to see people buying them over there and bringing them back