Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

the old ceremony posted:

how could anyone dump a chicken :( it's not like they're hard to rehome, and they can't possibly survive in the wild so it's condemning them to an awful death unless a good samaritan like you comes along. (which is hypocritical of me to say because i left three guinea fowl to fend for themselves for a month, although in my defense it was because they're literally impossible to catch once they get going.)

tank is so cute - her sweet little face! she is a lucky rosebud :3:

the quail eggs unfortunately got abandoned a few days ago while i was out of town and i wasn't back in time to put them in the incubator. the quails were being babysat and fed well so i guess they just lost interest, which i was kind of expecting to happen. i'll bury those eggs, put the next clutch in the incubator and then resume the experiment asap because dammit i want my magical nuclear quail family

I once had to babysit thirty some odd quail for a family that raised them for food. While I wanted to steal them all and give them all tophats, I was pretty amazed at their apparent stupidity.

I'm only just jumping into this thread so apologies if it has been covered - are you working with them indoors or outdoors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

In North Queensland there are meant to be feral chickens who have interbred with the legit junglefowl that run around there and popped over from the mainland and PNG. So you have chickens that are big and fat like domesticated chickens but smart and wily too.

Welp, good to know dinosaurs are evolving again. Imma go buy a rocket launcher.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

the old ceremony posted:

crows i love you, i seriously had no idea we had wild junglefowl in australia, this is so cool

you've never heard of the cassowary?

I live in a place where the biggest avian threat is a confused turkey.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

the old ceremony posted:

the cassowary is a giant malevolent guinea fowl from the tropic of capricorn, it is hella buff and has knives on its feet

Oh I know. If I lived in Aussie-land I'd be an ornithologist - but specifically for behavioral parrot care. I think of Australia as a paradise of funny birds to meet.

And feral cockatoos. Apparently that's a thing.

Question - I couple of the bird crazies keep house chickens. Are there ever "indoor/outdoor" chickens? I'm speaking about their temperament rather than asking if a chicken can walk in a house. :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Tonnes of people I knew growing up had pet galahs. The usual thing is you hit one with a car (going about 30 in a school zone because galahs are supernaturally gifted at being hit by slow moving cars) and nurse it back to health. Then by the time it's ready to go back to the wild it has learnt how to say "hello cockie!" and you can't bear to let it go. Or it just comes back when you try to release it because it has realised human food is delicious and human houses are generally comfy to live in.

It could be that galahs deliberately throw themselves in front of cars so they will be adopted by a friendly human...

This sounds amazing, because when you say "galah" it brings literally nothing into my mind.

So I'm envisioning parrots rescuing themselves into houses, rather than the actuality of a galah probably being plain and everywhere.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I am on my phone so no pics for now, but galahs are cockatoos with pink and grey plumage, smaller than a sulphur crested, bigger than a lorikeet. They hang out in big noisy flocks, often around water holes, and love to shriek. Like pigeons they have a reputation for being dumb as gently caress but are actually surprisingly brainy. Calling someone a galah in Australia is basically calling them a fool.

Like a Rosella?

Also, so I don’t hijack the chicken thread - I demand a picture of the smuggest chicken the forums can produce.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Organza Quiz posted:

The funny thing is galahs are parrots which are plain and everywhere.

I was born to immigrants in the wrong drat country.

spookygonk posted:

Pip sat on my head for a full 90 minutes.

Firstly, this is literal chuckle to myself levels of funny. Do chickens just have that "sit on things I like for world peace!" gene hardwired? Parrots turn psycho around eggs.

Cythereal posted:

I do not own chickens but I did find a picture of a smug one.

I'd call that pompous, but incredible.

spookygonk posted:

Am I wrong?

Who in God's name knows? It's a chicken having it's mind blown my being more agile on water than most humans. I say it gets a pass.

I can't find my favourite chicken picture, so here is a picture of the smuggest badass alive* with some chickens.

(*This isn't me...just for...records...)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I found the smuggest rooster! Please excuse the watermark - it's too perfect a picture to not share.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Quail are like tiny sadness cartoons. When I had to care for fifty some odd babies I think ten died. In a week.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As they're being born at easter, I vote for naming one either Bunny or Rabbit :colbert:.

Mr. or Mrs. Cadbury.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

my cat is norris posted:

What recommendations can you make for raising either coturnix or button quail? We're in an urban setting with enough yard and porch space for a small pen, and from what I understand, quails would be quiet enough to cause limited issues for the neighbors. Do they do well in variable temperatures? Do you have any recommendations when it comes to style of cage or placement?

Despite the fact that most birds are extremely intelligent, caring for quail is like caring for lemmings in Dover.

It's an exercise in saying, "How cute!" and then noticing three somehow died while you said it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I spent part of my youth on my great grandfathers farm with livestock, I have something to admit...

I have never taken eggs from a hen. I have raised parrots and know eggs make them psychotic. Do chickens care?

What is the experience like when you "steal" an egg from a Mama Hen?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If quail could, they would burst into flames constantly.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Extra points for a Gallipoli reference. :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Quails seem to have an innate lust for their own demise that puts horse stupidity to shame.

It's honestly baffling considering the intelligence most birds seem to possess.

That special kind of intelligence in which one can flush a toilet, but later falls in love with a coffee mug.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This happened to a poster in TFR and I can't stop laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm6Zsy95PwI

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

this broken hill posted:

helping quail reach self-actualisation is my mission in life

God I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this little fella'!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Awwww man. Me and my father were actively rooting for the little fella.

What can you do, quails are...quails. :(

Pouring out some energy drink.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Poor Gnocchi, pasta way :ohdear:.

I'm still sad for the little guy but A+ punnery here. :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

When I had to care for a neighbours juvenile quail they had fifty.

I think I lost less than ten, but more than five.

Mentally prepare to be sad.

I think they said about half made it to the dinner table. That I just ignored or I would have stolen them all and let them live in my bathroom.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

this broken hill posted:

i can't even comprehend the idea of wild japanese quail honestly, i choose to believe they're extinct

There is no way that is A Real Thing. They'd catch fire!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Only, and I mean ONLY, could a quail escape to be caught by an animal carrier.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Why do I see that quail looking out its window and think, "Is that animal nihilistically thinking about suicide, or is it just going, "Duuuuuuuuh" before it somehow kills itself."

I love these doofuses but I'm glad I don't have to be there when the inevitable happens.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Jikes posted:

I figured maybe the rooster situation was just temporary but it's been about six months now. I live in a regular suburban neighborhood, not a rural area, and while I don't mind the crowing (I grew up with chickens and I kind of like it) I worry a little that some of my other neighbors might be bothered. The neighbors with the chickens have already gotten the cops called on them a couple of times for what were basically just cultural misunderstandings (they let their chickens free-range and the people with nice lawns and flowerbeds didn't appreciate it) and I'm hoping to avoid that happening to them again. They're super-nice people and good neighbors.

Who the hell gets angry or bothered by a chicken dicking around? If I ran into a chicken outside, I'd consider it to be a lucky day.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Quail bird blob

Qlorb.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Man oh man that's awful. I've never had to euthanise anything bigger than a fish. I only hunted three birds when I was little and felt so bad about it I now keep them as pets.

Ugh. Hugs from Portland.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

What is their lifespan again? The ones I cared for made me feel like they would last about a week as a pet before they spontaneously exploded.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You guys know how some Japanese traditions consider betta fish/koi to be re-incarnated warriors from the battlefield.

Quail must be the reincarnated dudes who blew themselves up in training.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm moving into a condo on the outskirts of Portland and in poor health....

But JESUS getting some little cartoon feather blobs would be amazing.

avshalemon posted:

i was at my desk and felt like i was being watched, turned around and

:3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

avshalemon posted:

do you have a balcony? it'd take a bit of work to keep the smell down (when i move back to an apartment in about a year i plan to use a system of potted plants for recycling the poo) but it would be do-able to keep some buttons or even a few japanese quail on a balcony. my buttons are in a guinea pig cage on a stand and that's more than enough room for them, i drilled some holes in the bottom for drainage and put some ferns in there and with a daily refresh of their soil and leaf litter (which you could easily make yourself, just put some dirt and leaves in a bucket and let them decompose) they don't smell at all

Single level retirement community condo that I was allowed to purchase a home in due to being ill. I'll live there for a few months before I make any decisions.

There will be plenty of people with plenty of opinions about back yards and the like, but maybe they'll be happy pet fans. :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm a firm believer that birds qualify as autistic and OCD riddled, and I think seeing in "Blacklight vision" helps.

Every moment in bird land is like an intense acid trip!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Can a quail be healthily kept indoors?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Boo is the best!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I once held one of my parrots while it was euthanised and just typing about it makes me teary. Your a good person for not making the animal suffer.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I don't care how good of a bird owner I am, I ain't jerkin' off a bird. :colbert:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

My local parrot store now has thirty some odd quail for sale.

It's the cutest cage of derp I've ever seen!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Ok, I have some questions....

A week ago, I moved to a condo. It's a 55 and up Condo but they were ok with a crippled 34 year old buying a spot. It's a very quiet community.

I have a giant back patio with about a six foot fence around it. The bottom of the fence is covered with a latticework, so nothing can get in bigger than a snake.

I live in Portland. It gets cold.

Would keeping a few egg laying quail be foolish? Could I build a coop my father wouldn't find obnoxious? (My legs don't work so I live with my Pops, it's a good set up.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I lived near Tacoma. It snowed. My quail did not give the slightest gently caress and literally rarely used their hides.

Huh, I'll be damned. It's not going to be soon, but I think I'm going to set up a coupe.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

avshalemon posted:

my quail handle temperature extremes just fine, better even than the chickens - just make sure they have dry grass to nest in and they'll do the rest

it feels irresponsible to encourage more people to get quails because they'll break your heart, but they are so entertaining that i can't not encourage you :(

A good friend that lives near me (and also works at a parrot store) just got two. I think I'll live vicariously through her for the time being.

They are so tiny and easily alarmed, it's adorable. Also, seeing something about as aerodynamic as a potato fly makes me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

hope and vaseline posted:

That duck has some stylin headwear

I feel like that duck is a kindly old white guy.