Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Here's the full Werner Herzog chicken quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMo4WlBmGM

(I happily intercut this and some of The Chicken of Tomorrow as part of a VJ set last weekend.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding a limping chicken?

Queen Runt, my head hen of two, has somehow overnight hurt one of her legs to the extent that she's mostly lying down with it extended, or balancing on the other leg with the claws curled up. She's obviously distressed but we can't visibly see any cuts, breaks, bites, whatever.

She did spend a day last week limping, but she was still scratching, digging, and the next day back to basically being everything a dumb ground bird could be. We wrote that off as maybe a bruise or a strain. She has no grace whatsoever, and could easily have fallen off her perch.

But now the problem has returned and its far worse: tail feathers are down, eyelids drooped, only sporadic interest in grass/grain/snails/worms.

Any suggestions on what to try or look for?

Edit: bollocks, it's going to be Marek's, isn't it?

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 11, 2016

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Our Hendini has gone broody again. She's easily tempted out of her nest with mealworms, though, whereupon I can't stop laughing at her burping out repeated high-pitched peeps. She's literally clucky!

Fortunately Runt's simple brain has now realised that her friend ain't coming out. Being awoken every morning with her sounding the head hen squawk alarm was getting tiring.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Eeeep! :love:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frEbt_fGo14

The drummers hairdo! :3:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

my cat is norris posted:

Chicken pics, please? Chickens? Are there chickens to be shared?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Bird had obviously tried to quit cold turkey, but was clucking too much for her fix. Don't habit shame. :3:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It was my birthday yesterday but I'm away from my hens due to visiting my partner's mum.

Share me some chicken pics, please!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This is Xul, she turns into an anime protagonist when it rains.

This is Dr Oops on his first visit to the vet, he had a big ol cyst on his wing, which we wanted to get checked out because he's only about twelve weeks old. He was very popular at the vet because he is very handsome and they don't get too many chickens.

:love::love::love:

Thank you! :3:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Chickens are so snooty and clique-y that I am always reminded of American country club women when I see them

Same, but snooty Victorian women in an Oscar Wilde play.

"A... handbag?!"
*clucks disapprovingly*

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

She's gorgeous! :3: :love:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I realized today that we have never had a chicken named 'Pickle' or 'Chickity China, the Chinese Chicken'. We may need to rectify that...The eggs went into lockdown today, three more days to hatch! Likely less for those damned banty eggs tho...

Pickle is a great name for a chick. Here's our young Pickle abusing perspective and her large size to make it look like she's perched on the rim of our conservatory (whilst Hendini looks on bemused):

She's under a year old so last month's snow was a new and delightful low-calorie adventure for her. :3:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

:derp: WE HAVE OUR FIRST PIP! :derp:
:woop:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Rest in peace, Tix. She looks like she was a grade-A hen and I'm sure she appreciated her garden retirement.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
They're in stock in the UK! :henget:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Chooks sure love getting high. :birddrugs:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
In the absence of other stimulants, gotta get a buzz where you can, y'know? :birddrugs:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That's absolutely horrific. I'm so sorry for you and your flock. :smith:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Ducks own. :3: :duckie:

I'm sure you've already tried this, but I can always overcome our hens' fear of change ("something new, eeeeeek") with their greed for treats ("something tasty, mmmm").

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Is there an identifiable head of the flock? (What's the collective noun for ducks? A paddling, I think?)

That's the one to be gently elbowing. Oi, oi, get your arse over there, dolly quackles.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
The back gardens of my girlfriend's street are almost entirely closed off from the road. So, I've only ever seen pet moggies and birds and our chooks outside for the ~6 year's I've known Natasha.

Well, it seems that that's changed.

"Not today, motherfucker!"

I saw the fox as it was climbing the opposite neighbour's trellis in full-on hunting mode... except focused on the seagull (uncaring, because: seagull). The photo suggests otherwise, but there was no indication that the fox had noticed our hens Hendini & Pickle who were, as always, fully focused on overfilling their stomachs. This shot is the fox turning around as Nat entered the garden and sprayed it with a hose, causing it to run off along the hedges.

Then this morning, we get the sequel where it returns with offspring!

As far as I saw they just hung out in our upwind neighbour's garden mostly staring at his basement door (I think they could see the cat that lives there). They ignored my shouts, then ran away in the same direction as yesterday when I exited the conservatory into the garden.

Again, our two hens were unscathed! Pickle was happily getting high in the old coop - only a few degrees out of the foxes' eye-lines - completely unperturbed she was from being the protagonist in a new predator remake. Hendini was being a bit more cautious under their house so she maybe saw them and got spooked. No alarm squawking, though.

So, does anyone have any good suggestions for deterring curious urban foxes? The fencing is getting reinforced and heightened this afternoon.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Ghostnuke posted:

foxes are pretty clever. You might get lucky with one of those cage traps, but snares are probably the best bet and those tend to mean EOL for the captured.

Yeah, don't think we'll be putting out traps or snares.

The fence has been refortified, but I'm not sure there's anything we can do if they're determined enough to come in. According to this, they've already compromised our wifi network and pooped in my boots.

In our favour, they've looked very well-fed and curious rather than starved and desperate. Hopefully, they're just exploring for potential new spring dens (it's been a ridiculously mild winter here in the south UK so far), and will try elsewhere no we've discovered and chased them off two days in a row.

I want to keep our Pickle and Hendini alive for many more years to come! :ohdear: :pray:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:toot: :dance: for Pip & Piper. They look very content and well looked after. :3: :love:

As for the foxes, there's zero sign that they've been back; Hendini & Pickle are back to running around care-free with their necks extended. I'm figuring that now that folks have returned to town for NYE, there'll be plenty of discarded street food and other delights to distract curious & cunning Vulpes.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Dear avshalemon, if it's possible can I please have a recording of your singing quail going all peeple-beeple-peepu a bippu-bippu-chee, please? :3:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Yeah, I feel you there, no worries!

Part of what fuels my request is my personal regret for never getting a recording of our hen Runt before she passed, singing her circular-breathing infinite morning sermon on everything that's wrong with the world. We would get comments from the neighbours about her, but I secretly found it hilarious and characterful.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Enfys posted:

I will never tire of watching chickens dustbathe.

:yeah: :same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrEXCz972uo

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Rest well, dear old Pong.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Guess they must've figured out that Fox had ~worms~. :birddrugs:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Our dear old Hendini won't come out of the coop. She's just standing upright and motionless. She's alert and her eyes are open, but she's refusing to eat: refusing even kale and dried mealworms. :ohdear:

e: yeah, she's giving off the imminent-departure signals. Farewell, fluffy hen.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 17, 2019

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

my cat is norris posted:

I got her to take some vitamin E by rubbing the capsule contents right onto her beak, and got her to take a little selenium by dipping bread into water and then the powder and running that over her beak. I'll be able to make another store run soon, but for now she's snugglin' in my lap.

Awww. :3:

You are a top-notch hen-parent! :tipshat:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Birbs die, that's sadly kinda how it goes. :(

Just makes us love the survivors even more whilst they're around! :)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Biscuit.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I can't speak to roosters, but in my experience Rhode Island Red hens tend towards being highly strung, squawky and racist to other breeds. (Yeah, I'm talking about you, Pickle, you bully.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

nankeen posted:

gently caress i love chickens lol. we don't deserve them

gently caress :yeah:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I judge them all as adorable! :3:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

nankeen posted:

a cryptid

holy poo poo, so cool!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Pets ain't treats, human!

Plus they don't want you to mess up the feathers they spent all of 1 minute fussily preening earlier (before rolling around in dust and stepping in their own poop for hours).

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Goddammit, Pickle! If you don't stop sexual assaulting Hilde I swear I'm gonna give your neck a thorough str-

nankeen posted:

this thread has the best parenting skills on the whole site lol
-etchin'... er, stroke. A gentle stroke until you calm down, yes. :q:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Tell your neighbour and their lawyer to go stuff an egg up their arse!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Any ideas as to why Pickle has started occasionally laying eggs that are crinkled/corrugated around the middle?

Could it be the weird weather messing with her, or maybe she's mis-scheduled her kegel exercises? I don't think she's old enough yet for henopause, although she's definitely cranky enough! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Chickens! :3: