Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Days are getting short, but I’m still getting so many eggs from these little peckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

The Sebrights are my most skittish but they are still very sweet girls. All of my chooks are very loving, though the top hen (one of my production reds) will occasionally give your ankle a gentle peck to demand whatever you have. They all love getting pets and treats though and will snuggle up close to me

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

this was the last image recovered off of old farmer John’s phone.

RIP

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m going to set up a cam for my girls soon.

Fairy egg

(She is still doing a very good job and I am proud of her)

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Merry crisman

I had TWO chooks lay double today, in late November.

The badasses in question:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I wish the weather didn’t swing 120 degrees over the course of a year here

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Oh drat. Predators?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

e: it’s a sebright egg

freeedr fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 11, 2021

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

City of Glompton posted:

omg so tiny, i think that's tinier than a Lil' Pep egg (which weighs in at 30 grams)

It’s 23 grams, which is about median for Minny

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

effervescible posted:

So there is like....a random chicken hanging around outside my apartment. I live in a pretty suburban area and have no idea where this chicken could have come from. It follows me a little when I get close so I guess it probably belongs to people? I don't think we're zoned for backyard chickens though.

What do I do, chicken goons????

That’s a very cute chicken. Take it in and give it veggies and water (or whatever you have that’s suitable for a chook) and try to find the owner on the down low. Sorry about the poop

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Margaret is on a five-day streak in December. She’s a star

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My German shepherd had knocked over the trash and chewed plastic and garbage to pieces. I was out picking up little shreds so the chickens could free-range outside their run and my daughter decided to just go ahead and let them out. I was scrambling to pick up little garbage bits before they could find or eat any of them. In that pic of Margaret you can see she is pissed at me because I just stopped her from getting a green shred of plastic that looked somewhat like a vegetable.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

who wants small eggs

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Everything I read about sebrights says they lay 1 or 1.5 eggs per week. Many sources say they usually won’t lay at all their first year and will hit menarche the next spring. I have two ~8-month-old sebrights. They have both laid three days in a row now. They have laid five days out of seven for a total of 10 eggs in a week. They have been producing like this for a couple of months now, even during the shortest days of the year. I don’t know how this is possible. Their eggs aren’t easy to confuse for any of my other chickens; this has to be them. :shrug:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I approve of this meme

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Buddy is a delight!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

“What.”

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

“What is this bullshit you’ve pulled now 😑”

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Only because yawning is contagious and you start a whole wave every time

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m sorry to hear that. I caught a Cooper’s hawk barehanded last year and it was an odd experience. Something was wrong with it so I took it to a bird rescue and it apparently rehabilitated no problem. Didn’t get any of my chooks.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

There is a bird flu outbreak. Please be safe if you are near it :(

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My coop is inside of a run with ½” hardware cloth around the perimeter and buried in. I don’t close the girls in unless it is freezing outside. No mice show up at all. No wild birds get to their food. This is why you see this sort of setup recommended on chicken care sites. They also have a roof. They are spoiled.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I do free range them, but only when we are home with them. Have to put the dogs away, etc.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

We also don’t have any large predators in the yard because we have a full privacy fence, though I still watch for hawks and caught one once

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Oh gosh that is a good painting

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

YES

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My wife is already tempted to start the chicken math since tractor supply got sexed barred rocks in.

Chicken story:

I had to bake some cakes today and I needed twelve eggs. We have been eating a lot of eggs lately so we only had ten. I panicked a bit before suddenly laughing at myself, going outside, and collecting for the day.

(I also took them some veggies for a treat)

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I have two egg aprons with rad designs on them. Gifts from my mother and my oldest daughter. I take them out if I miss collecting eggs for a day because they build up

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Enfys posted:

I forgot to collect eggs one day recently, and I learned that if you have two hands full of precariously balanced eggs, you cannot then try use those hands to catch a falling egg without causing complete carnage.

:rip:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I figured out why my chickens love me.

Chickens Prefer Beautiful Humans

:crossarms:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

My vet for the dogs and cats has like 45 years of experience and she sees chickens. She is excellent with everything. I don’t know what I’ll do when she finally hangs it up.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

my cat is norris posted:

If you have a completely enclosed run attached to your coop, do you prefer something at walk-in height or are you okay with something smaller?

I have a 6’ tall run that is sold as a dog kennel. I have to duck under the door, but it has a sloped roof , so the ceiling gets up to 8’ high or so. It’s nice to not have to crouch when cleaning out the run and coop, which is a moderate amount of work frequently. It’s definitely preferable to have standing room, but not 100% required.

E: mine is like this but much bigger

With ½” hardware cloth J-clipped on and buried

freeedr fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 22, 2022

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I scoop out the coop every few days and rake the run weekly in addition to the daily feeding , watering, treats, etc. Lots of run time.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Lots of birds have fluorescent feather patterns because diurnal birds are tetrachromats and are great at seeing UV and can see a broader spectrum than us apes. That also means black lights are VERY bright to them so I’m not going to shine a bright one on my birds to take a picture.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Oooooo, this is exciting. I want to suggest the classic, simple name Mayhem.

I don’t know if I’m supposed to pick a specific one to name Mayhem, but if so I pick #2

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Or that you’ve been at the Mexican market

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

“What you doin’ here?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Blue