Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Good luck getting any kind of settlement from a dang cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't wait for touchscreens to be banished in favor of physical knobs and buttons again. They're the worst form of user interface, the only thing they do better than physical components is being able to be dynamically remapped for different usage modes (like on a tablet computer or phone). They make zero sense for appliances that always have the same usage mode.

The trend of putting them in cars is so loving irritating. I would like to keep my eyes on the drat road while fiddling with the A/C thanks

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nuevo posted:

Speaking of crappy construction, there's a lawsuit in progress from people whose kitchens have burned down from cats walking on those stove top touchscreen-like buttons. :supaburn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAhHkJQ3KgY

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I can't wait for touchscreens to be banished in favor of physical knobs and buttons again. They're the worst form of user interface, the only thing they do better than physical components is being able to be dynamically remapped for different usage modes (like on a tablet computer or phone). They make zero sense for appliances that always have the same usage mode.

At least in the US, it feels like we are going in the opposite direction. I bought an induction stove last year and wanted physical knobs at least for the 'burner' parts. My choices were extremely limited, at least within my budget range. Seems like there are more options once you commit to spending $4k+, which I wasn't. Samsung is about the only one making them with physical knobs in my price range, so that is what I got despite the negative reputation they have for appliance quality. It has been great so far though, hopefully I don't have to use the extended warranty...

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Computer viking posted:

The one argument I've heard for them is that they allow the stovetop to e.g. turn itself off on a timer without having to use a motor to physically turn a knob back to 0.

Separate the heat control from the on/off with a tapedeck-style pop-up button.

The touchscreen controls on my dishwasher don't even make any sense. The "extra dry" button all the way on the left and the mode, start/pause, and power buttons on the right are touch controls, but there's 5 lights in the middle that display the mode selected. But you have to press the mode button and it cycles through them. And it's all one panel so I don't see why they couldn't have made the middle part touch controls it's so they could save $0.0002 in manufacturing this $300 device

And of course the mode button has a habit of registering double touches, so I have to cycle through the entire list of modes 2 or 3 times to get the one I want.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sirotan posted:

At least in the US, it feels like we are going in the opposite direction. I bought an induction stove last year and wanted physical knobs at least for the 'burner' parts. My choices were extremely limited, at least within my budget range. Seems like there are more options once you commit to spending $4k+, which I wasn't. Samsung is about the only one making them with physical knobs in my price range, so that is what I got despite the negative reputation they have for appliance quality. It has been great so far though, hopefully I don't have to use the extended warranty...

Everyone has a reputation for crappy quality though.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
In theory a touch screen is easy to clean. In reality you push all the buttons at once while cleaning it and your oven is set to 9000 Rankine, has a timer going off every 10 minutes for the next 24h, and everything is in Chinese.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Guy Axlerod posted:

In theory a touch screen is easy to clean. In reality you push all the buttons at once while cleaning it and your oven is set to 9000 Rankine, has a timer going off every 10 minutes for the next 24h, and everything is in Chinese.

It took a long time for me to figure out that the “Clean” button on the touch screen of my heat pump wasn’t some weird function but just disables the touch screen temporarily for cleaning it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

HappyHippo posted:

The trend of putting them in cars is so loving irritating. I would like to keep my eyes on the drat road while fiddling with the A/C thanks

My new (used) car is a base trim model specifically because the AC and radio were knobs and single function buttons. Adjusting the air can be done with zero distraction, vs. a Tesla or other car with a touchscreen of bullshit where you need to take your eyes off the road for 5+ seconds to navigate to the Climate Control menu.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

My new (used) car is a base trim model specifically because the AC and radio were knobs and single function buttons. Adjusting the air can be done with zero distraction, vs. a Tesla or other car with a touchscreen of bullshit where you need to take your eyes off the road for 5+ seconds to navigate to the Climate Control menu.

Wait until you see the new iteration of this bullshit, where you have to use a touch screen to redirect the air vents inside the cabin.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Wait until you see the new iteration of this bullshit, where you have to use a touch screen to redirect the air vents inside the cabin.

Is this an actual thing? I can't imagine that having to motorize all of the vents and write the UI for controlling them is better than the existing alternative.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Or turn signals on a touch screen.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Computer viking posted:

The one argument I've heard for them is that they allow the stovetop to e.g. turn itself off on a timer without having to use a motor to physically turn a knob back to 0.
You can do that with normal momentary pushbuttons.

Capacitive touch buttons exist primarily because they're cheaper while simultaneously feeling more "high tech" to a consumer sitting in the car at the dealer.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

This has been a recent thing in the automotive world at least. I can’t find the article but some high end trucks still have the touchscreen, but do have more mechanical switches

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 20, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Frankly it seems like some corners could be cut by removing the touchscreens and just making you use your phone to control the car since you already have the app.

The same goes with your stove naturally. You can then go to toilet and still control temperatures! And it's cat safe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

Who cares if the knob position matches?

Interrupt the power to the burner and don’t reconnect it till the knob rests in the “off” indent.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nuevo posted:

Speaking of crappy construction, there's a lawsuit in progress from people whose kitchens have burned down from cats walking on those stove top touchscreen-like buttons. :supaburn:

Likely lawsuits coming also for stove manufacturers with low front knobs that cause fires when the family dog decides to go 'counter cruising' and drags their front paws across the knobs while trying to get up on the counters. The knob detents are so weak that this action is able to spin the knobs and activate the burners.

The last major fire I investigated, the insureds were nearing the end of a major kitchen remodel and had boxes of stuff sitting on the glass top of the stove. They had never used it yet. They came back from a shopping trip to find the kitchen aflame.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Good luck getting any kind of settlement from a dang cat.

We're going after the stove manufacturer in subrogation.

The fire cause & origin guy I sent out said it was the 6th or 7th he'd seen in 2023.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 20, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

Frankly it seems like some corners could be cut by removing the touchscreens and just making you use your phone to control the car since you already have the app.

The same goes with your stove naturally. You can then go to toilet and still control temperatures! And it's cat safe.

God, please no. Just make a loving physical UI on the loving appliance. Y'all don't need to spy on when I'm cooking my chicken nuggets or whatever.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

God, please no. Just make a loving physical UI on the loving appliance. Y'all don't need to spy on when I'm cooking my chicken nuggets or whatever.

Oh, alright then. I just thought that putting knobs on phones would pose problems when you put them in your jeans pocket, but whatever.

Honestly though, modern fridges with WiFi connectivity are just so obvious vectors for cyber attacks that I don't see how any sane person would pay extra for that attribute. It's not like I need to update the firmware of my milk and sausages. I could see the use in an industrial setting where you get a better interface to control and supervise temperatures, but for consumers? And any oven that could be hacked through the internet is just :tif: in the waiting.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 20, 2024

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Nenonen posted:

Oh, alright then. I just thought that putting knobs on phones would pose problems when you put them in your jeans pocket, but whatever.

Honestly though, modern fridges with WiFi connectivity are just so obvious vectors for cyber attacks that I don't see how any sane person would pay extra for that attribute. It's not like I need to update the firmware of my milk and sausages. I could see the use in an industrial setting where you get a better interface to control and supervise temperatures, but for consumers? And any oven that could be hacked through the internet is just :tif: in the waiting.

IT Security 2024: My Toaster joined a Botnet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nenonen posted:

Someone mentioned one time it would be useful for seeing that your fridge has malfunctioned and your freezer full of frozen poo poo is thawing. So in theory you might be able to take off from wherever you are and save a few hundred bucks worth of food or something. Otherwise yeah, it seems like a bad idea.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Who cares if the knob position matches?

Interrupt the power to the burner and don’t reconnect it till the knob rests in the “off” indent.

The knob doesn't even need to have a position, it can just be a rotary control which changes the number on an LCD. Both the climate knobs in my car are like this and honestly it works better because the knobs are way down by the ashtray but they change the fan speed/temperature display on the dash, and I can also still feel how many clicks I turned the knob.

Is this an actual thing? I can't imagine that having to motorize all of the vents and write the UI for controlling them is better than the existing alternative.

It's so they can sell adjustable vents as a DLC option.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Touchscreens can be a prefab component you slap in there and also appeal to consumers as being fancy.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

PainterofCrap posted:

Likely lawsuits coming also for stove manufacturers with low front knobs that cause fires when the family dog decides to go 'counter cruising' and drags their front paws across the knobs while trying to get up on the counters. The knob detents are so weak that this action is able to spin the knobs and activate the burners.

The last major fire I investigated, the insureds were nearing the end of a major kitchen remodel and had boxes of stuff sitting on the glass top of the stove. They had never used it yet. They came back from a shopping trip to find the kitchen aflame.

We're going after the stove manufacturer in subrogation.

The fire cause & origin guy I sent out said it was the 6th or 7th he'd seen in 2023.

Great now I have to turn the whole thing off at the isolation panel whenever I leave the house.

I'm actually going to see how it handles casual contact, it'll beep if something is left on it (sometimes), but I wonder what it's calibrated for in terms of touch.

The other thing here is of course, a child such as mine running their hand along the top of the counter and touching the controls. Though I'm not generally in the habit of leaving them home alone aged 3.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

It looks like Euro NCAP (a private nonprofit that scores cars on safety, a la the NHTSA) is looking at touch screens - I can't find anything official from them, but reporting ranges from "they'll dock points if you don't have physical knobs" to "common tasks must be easy and fast, but theoretically a good touchscreen UI with a dedicated fixed-function area could qualify".

For a taste, this is a LinkedIn post from three weeks ago:

Matthew Avery, Director of Strategic Development Euro NCAP posted:

Bring Back Buttons. Euro NCAP was a guest on the couch for BBC Breakfast in sunny Salford this morning talking about the over reliance on screens in the latest cars. So we’re working with manufacturers to encourage the safest cars to Bring Back Buttons. Distraction crashes are in the increase and big touch screens encouraged distracted driving. And every car is different so you it can be like learning to drive all over again. In 2026 Euro NCAP will introduce new assessments of vehicle HMI and we’re working with the industry to make driving safer.

I also found a year-old article in The Telegraph you may also find interesting: We all know touch screens are dangerous – so why are we all still using them?, (archive.org mirror)

quote:

Distraction is speed over time

Swedish car magazine Vi Bilägare recently undertook a test that largely proved what we already know – that newfangled touchscreen-based infotainment systems are far more complex and time-consuming to use than traditional God-fearing analogue buttons.

A random selection of motorists were given time to familiarise themselves with a representative sample of 12 cars on the European market, including Dacia’s budget Sandero, Chinese new entrant the MG Marvel R, Hyundai’s bestselling Ioniq 5, and a number of other popular models currently on sale. Also in the mix was a 2005 Volvo V70 estate, with no touchscreen.

You can probably tell where this is going.

quote:

From 2026, Euro NCAP testing will take into account the design and layout of dashboard controls in assessing cars. Touchscreens are a big part of this, meaning that – to some extent – cars could be marked down for having tricky infotainment systems.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

As for the stoves, wouldn't induction tops somewhat reduce the risk here? Turning one to max power without a suitable lump of metal on top shouldn't really do anything. Not a solution for everyone, and there's obvious remaining risks (e.g. "I left a pot to cool on the stove"), but at least it won't set fire to any cardboard boxes or babies that get on top of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

It looks like Euro NCAP (a private nonprofit that scores cars on safety, a la the NHTSA) is looking at touch screens - I can't find anything official from them, but reporting ranges from "they'll dock points if you don't have physical knobs" to "common tasks must be easy and fast, but theoretically a good touchscreen UI with a dedicated fixed-function area could qualify".

This is good news! Here's hoping they get enough teeth behind their recommendations for carmakers to actually change their approach.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Our Mazda has the One Giant Knob input and it is fantastic.

When we bought our house, it had an induction range with a touch panel and I always locked the controls because of the cats walking across it. The insane orange cat, who is dumb as a rock, somehow figured out how to hold down the lock button in order to unlock it and play with the sounds. This problem resolved itself when we replaced it with gas, which the cat can't operate and has not managed to self-immolate.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I think you'll find a stove knob can also be accidentally activated, as demonstrated 1 minute into this totally realistic public service announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVTBx8H4QDg&t=60s

(Fingers crossed that I don't need to go run to a desktop to fix that url)
edit: Success!

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 21, 2024

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sash! posted:

Our Mazda has the One Giant Knob input and it is fantastic.

I miss that in my Tesla :smith:

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Tesla opted for the One Giant Knob owner instead.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Aww, man. I was about to make that joke

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

Tesla opted for the One Giant Knob owner instead.

Idlewild_
Sep 12, 2004

We have touch controls on our induction stove. Something unspecified (but possibly, and horrifyingly, mice eating the wiring) happened and it started to malfunction. I searched for a repair company that knew about newfangled stoves, got a guy who absolutely did not. Twelve hours later he's still in my house crying and on hold with stove tech support. I paid him to please leave and have a pleasant life far away from my stove. Next guys did know what they were doing, mostly. They managed to get the stove top working again. Except that now all the burner controls have an off-by-one error. After several hours of them trying to fix that and on hold with stove tech support I also paid them to leave and now we just live like this.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wood swelling? Skill issue.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That rickety single pane window must be drafty as hell, hopefully your winters are mild.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Why the two knobs on the door? I get the bottom looks a little busted, but it has to be easier to badly fix or replace than to install a new door knob in a different spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Orvin posted:

Why the two knobs on the door? I get the bottom looks a little busted, but it has to be easier to badly fix or replace than to install a new door knob in a different spot.

I think those older knobs use different sized holes so it might have been easier for them to drill a hole in fresh wood to keep the holesaw from wandering then left the old knob to cover the hole. Probably worked until that old knob started to droop :flaccid:.