Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

I put a clock in my shower last week and it has really helped with my morning routine because I used to just turn off my brain for like 15 minutes and time travel

Why would you do this to yourself?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My morning poo poo/shave/shower routine can be around 30 minutes if I'm being lazy.

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah you have to reinforce them.

Or, you know, don't loving bury a shipping container in the first place.

:negative:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah the comments are fun too, since they're full of plumbers going "Oh, you think it's about poop, do you? Guess who hooks up the oxygen in hospitals?"

Oh god.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

~Coxy posted:

The video title says 1.8 bath when it should be 1⅛ (or 1.125.) :colbert:

I'm guessing he just typed it in as he said it "one eights" bathroom or something :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nevets posted:

When I bought my new house the kitchen countertops were advertised as 'green marble' but I think they are actually a kind of serpentine. The quarry is less than 50 miles away, give or take, so I'm pretty certain I made a bologna sandwich this morning on a slab of gemstone :v:

Stock photo, but looks identical to mine.

http://www.vtverde.com/

Sounds like a win to me?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nevets posted:

Yeah, I think there's other things that need warning labels more urgently than granite countertops.

:cripes:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

One of my friends used to live in a house that had a built-in fridge corner... and the compressor was located so that the hot air was vented into the laundry room. Brilliant for drying clothes, right? Yep. But he also put a chest freezer in the same room, so probably wasted a lot of power that way :downs:

Loved going to parties there though, always room for another case of beer in the fridge.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I've replaced one LED bulb since 2017 :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Holy poo poo :stonk:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Siri, give me a render of a kitchen with a floral pattern glass floor with AN OCEAN OF CUM under it, thank you"

I tried this with bing but it told me the result was NSFW and restricted :negative:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Some years ago I bought a kitchen at Ikea. We spent like an hour trying to put this thing together after finishing most of the rest, but there was no way this thing would fit together properly. We gave up and handed the problem over to the people who were doing the actual kitchen install + mounting and they had to get pretty creative to get it to work. Apparently Ikea put the wrong plate in the box, who would have thought... :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's the opposite of crappy construction :colbert:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Cooooolzies. Every software engineer I've ever met was extremely overconfident in their knowledge on any matter whatsoever, including internal medicine, history, sciences and of course, construction. I do not know where it comes from, but this trend scares the hell out of me.

I've had the same experience with (IT) architects. One of which just booked a 30 minute meeting with me early next week to tell me all about how he's about to lift and shift all of our poo poo into the cloud instead of replacing our aging virtualisation rig. They even claim we'll save money doing this. I wish I was joking.

I need more alcohol :suicide:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We have both vSAN and Hyper-V, so we could move our vmware workloads over easily enough.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Well this turned into crappy cloud construction quickly :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

"infrastructure with a predictable long-term TCO."

:laffo:

Get the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck outta here :downsrim:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We already have redundant data centers, have an extensive, redundant fibre network, and run workloads that have to serve local users even if we have to disconnect from the Internet. So yeah, of course we should go cloud.

:negative:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

Oh, OK, well I clearly didn't know any of that. I was literally just talking about the cost of basic virtualization infrastructure, sorry.

My last reply was not in any way directed at you, it was just raging at the sheer idiocy of it all.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

titty_baby_ posted:

Post some hosed up houses

:allears:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Orvin posted:

I am kinda amazed how expensive running fiber is.

We have generation customers who want to split transmission lines and put a new substation in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere, IL. All so they can connect a new wind farm. The utilities stance is you want to connect out in the middle of nowhere, then you need to get a fiber connection out to the new substation for communication and control. At this time, fiber is the only standard the utility recognizes, and is trying to sunset all the random old crap they may still have left.

Always fun to learn that the fiber run will almost double the cost of some of these wind farm projects. But 50-60 miles of fiber will do that.

On the west coast of Norway, they pull fibre alongside the power line for long stretches across fjords etc. Is that not an option there?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MrYenko posted:

In the US the power utilities are generally required to allow the other utilities to share the poles at a municipal level, but not on transmission towers. At no place do the power utilities actually want the telecom stuff anywhere near their infrastructure.

In this instance, it's the power utility's fibre. Not a third party/telecom...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sash! posted:

Our Mazda has the One Giant Knob input and it is fantastic.

I miss that in my Tesla :smith: