Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

That looks like a p standard "haven't cleaned in 2 years because we're lazy" bathroom if you're in a hard water area (a chum had one like that, I learned to hold it when I visited). Simple Green and a pumice scrubber, then flea bomb all your clothes afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

When my dad replaced any floorboards he painstakingly drew and labelled the layout of joists, pipes and wires beneath them, then polyurethaned the new floorboard so the drawing would stay. I have never seen anyone else do that but I like to imagine it's a real boon for the next person to own the property.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Javid posted:

This is the best showerhead I've ever had.

e:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

How well do those heating shower heads work?

"I could see it, glowing red, raging inside the plastic shower head. Black smoke started streaming from the holes in the plastic, and the heater raged on, squealing a more and more high pitched death knell."

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

An un-permitted deck fell off the side of an Oakland home this weekend, injuring 10.

The homeowner will be fined $2,000. The newsreader made it sound like that was a lot.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, the NPR story I heard explicitly mentioned "nails just pulled out" which made me surprised it held as long as it did.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Bead curtain.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

In all fairness to artists, my wife is an artist who can run a tormach and builds robots and she is quite serious about doing home repairs properly and to code where applicable.

So yeah some artists are fuckups when it comes to doing things properly but it's not a universal trait.

#notallartists

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Skip the middle man and just leave a bundle of H in there next time.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

anyway

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

A kitchen cabinet in our old apartment did that. When we spotted it the top was no longer hanging on but the cabinet was still attached at the bottom and vaguely perpendicular to the floor.

We moved all the glassware and crockery out of it, then apartment maintenance then came and glued the cabinet back against the wall.

We began storing all our glassware and dishes in the floor level cabinets.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

NancyPants posted:

If it's for restorative cures, prob a good thing they didn't go with mercury or some irradiated liquid, huh?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Don't use the blue pallets, they belong to someone

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Wulfling posted:

At counter level, or above the cabinets. I want to say 6 to 8 without actually going over there to count them.

Hmm...

Is there a patch of newer siding on one exterior wall, next to older siding that looks sort of melted?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

topenga posted:

I was too distracted by the carpet in the kitchen to call her. I could not get over the fact that there was loving carpet in the goddamn kitchen. Gross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoWHzq21tA

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

There's a retro bathroom movement to try and save those pink bathrooms and bathroom suites. When you get rid of yours someone else might pay you for it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

GotLag posted:

I'd agree if I believed anyone had actually done it.

My father did it.

In his defense he was in the undiagnosed early stages of a fast-moving dementia that first attacked his executive functioning.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

stay tuned for my future research paper "Bad construction decisions: a canary in the coal mine for degenerative brain diseases?"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

mmm yeah wanna take a bath in an antimony tub

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Motronic posted:

It would be awesome to find a gas range with one induction "burner" on it for heating big pots of water, but I'm guessing anything like that is going to be super expensive.

My mother has a cooktop that's 2 gas burners and 2 induction or something like that. She remodeled the kitchen within the past 4 years and most of it came from IKEA. IKEA in the UK, mind.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Their plugs are all fused iirc, which is cool.

And they're worse than lego or an upturned hairbrush for stepping upon in the middle of the night.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

PopeCrunch posted:

I have no idea why the UK isn't in flames on a constant basis.

Climate's too wet.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Zhentar posted:

the fastest responding power generation in the world, a pumped storage system that can go from zero to 1.3GW in 12 seconds

That's Dinorwig, right?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Blindeye posted:

So, structural/earthquake engineer here on the kinds of failures you're seeing there. This is very indicative of older concrete construction but basically joint failures or column failures close to stuff elements (in this case wall panels) is very common for structures where there isn't robust steel ties to confine concrete. The more shear reinforcement you have confines the concrete in the center of a connection or element, increasing effective concrete strength. I've seen some bounding tests where you can double or triple concrete strength and the amount of deformation allowed if it is completely encased in steel like a composite system or retrofit.

The way they used empty oil cans instead of concrete might have contributed.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > DIY & Hobbies > Crappy Construction Tales: 400 BTUs of Air Conditioning, And As Many Posts About It

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

only build a secret room if you're happy to die trapped inside it when you're incapacitated in there and no-one can work out it exists

what I'm saying is, do it up like a tomb

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

How heavy would you say these casks are? Can you bolt a chain to them?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

gazebo got damage and mold resistance

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

So somewhere in a wall another phase has managed to make contact with the neutral for that circuit, there are exposed wires which previously caught fire sticking out of the wall in an area of the house where water is handled, and the apartment management doesn't give a poo poo. The best part is that the resident basically has no remedy under state law beyond getting out of the lease a week after sending a certified letter. Despite that being authorized by state law they'll likely have to fight to get their rent and security deposit back. Texas!

Relatedly: http://www.thebigroundtable.com/stories/a-trial-by-fire/

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 6, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Here in Texas unless you have a medical condition you should be able to deal with 85 degrees no problem so why on earth do people keep their A/C set to 72 all day?

my spouse gets sadie-grumpy at temperatures above 74, increasing exponentially as the mercury rises. some peeps just can't handle heat.

(personally i figure warmer temps are an excellent excuse to lie around and not do much.)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

There also used to be some sort of wire sculpture on the top of the mound in front of the house.

Misread as "wire scripture," was hoping for neon or LED light strips formed into a Bible quote. Perhaps something about the love of money, or building houses on sand.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Cakefool posted:

Ring mains are dumb, agreed. What's wrong with our taps though?

That old requirement to separate hot and cold. Backflow preventer and a consequence of hot water not being potable and/or attic water tanks, iirc?

attic tanks are great for helpin' with water pressure on the ground floor though.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Platystemon posted:

This is some M.C. Escher poo poo. :wtc:

e: The author of McMansion Hell is younger than I imagined:

Texting in sixth grade :wtf: But I guess they were rich so that pushes it back a few years?

Late 20s or early thirties is too young?

Gah, the longer I look at that image the more I see. What could anyone put in the tiniest full-length wall cubby?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

kelvron posted:

I've never seen an air gap drain like this before. Not sure I want to see one again.

Looks like there should be a ping pong ball balancing above it on a column of air.

then again i think that about tru-gap airgap fixtures too

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E32jCnR2lUk

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That sounds like a lot of extra work when you could just paint stripes on your walls where the studs are.

whenever my dad took up the carpet and/or floorboards to do any DIY work, he did this with the floorboards. He'd mark the joists underneath, wiring runs, pipes, conduit, everything, then polyurethane it.

i hope his painstaking work has helped later owners of my dad's homes not accidentally drill into a gas line. :unsmith:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Salisbury Snape posted:

the teleporter

i feel you've been burying the lede here

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

:grovertoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Benagain posted:

where people in a neighborhood that's 40% renters are fighting a new apartment proposal by saying everything up to and including 'black people might move in.'

:thermidor: