Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

B-Nasty posted:

Next thing you know some Eurotrash is going to pop in here dumbfounded that "Americans build their houses out of wooden sticks!"

Tbh I am always shocked by how flimsy American houses seem.

In particular when there's the aftermath of a gas main explosion and there's just nothing left of the house but match sticks.

Where are the bricks??
Is it a climate thing? Or is it just a cheap thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

binge crotching posted:

Isn't there a higher risk of static electricity at low humidities? AC dries the air out, so if it gets too dry they need to add a little moisture.

This is exactly right. It's very easy to damage electronics with static electricity when the humidity is low.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

How bad would a leak be?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

At least the other goon put his post behind spoilers, gross.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Please stop mentioning them.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

Part of the problem though is that you'll still need many of those roads so trucks can make deliveries to stores and factories, and once the road already exists and can withstand a semi truck hauling 50,000lbs of lumber to Home Depot then you'd might as well let people drive their cars on it.

Even with industrial/agricultural rail being as built up as it is in the US, it's still usually hundreds of miles of travel by truck before it starts being cheaper to put everything on a train and then transfer to a truck near the destination. Yes, that's partially because the roads are subsidized, but it's also easier to get dual-use out of a road than try and cram people on a train trundling along at 20mph behind a literal cattle car.

Yeah but if it's mostly only commercial vehicles using the roads then you don't need 12 lanes and loads of parking, which gives you more room for everything else (like public transport and buildings and poo poo). It also means the stuff on the roads works better, like the trucks, but also busses, ambulances and delivery vehicles.

Getting stuff off the roads is better for everything, including the stuff still on the roads. This is part of the reason getting mad at bike lanes is silly: every bike in a bike lane is a car you're not stuck behind in traffic, in a much more efficient space trade off than just having another lane of cars.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Some really intelligent design in the bathrooms at my work:

Yes, the tap is always covered in soap.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

How much 105mm shell can your panel house handle?

Depends mainly on the method of delivery of the shell to the house.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

This might not be the best thread for this, but there does seem to be a lot of people who know stuff about buildings in here.
Can anyone tell me why public bathroom doors so often open inwards?
Surely it would make more sense for them to open outwards:
- bathrooms are always a dead end, so it makes more sense for them to open outwards in an emergency, for the same reason the main entrance doors should open outwards
- gross people don't wash their hands, so its better to have them push on a door than operate a door handle

I'm also noticing all the interior doors in my house open inwards into the room. I assume this is because it doesn't block hallways? What drives door direction in architecture and building?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

If stall doors opened outward people would be getting hit with them all the time. Just constant stall doors to the face every time you went to poop.

Not the stall doors, just the door to the bathroom itself

Cat Hatter posted:

Good question, outward opening bathroom doors also have the benefit of being easy to open without using your clean hands.

Yeah see you get me

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I'm pretty sure in Australia you aren't allowed to call a windowless room a bedroom, I'm a little surprised that isn't the rules in the US too.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I feel like i need to be spoonfed why construction sucks most of the time. maybe its bad because the weight is on the much smaller jutted piece of wood? which is more likely to fail because its not supported by anything below?

This is why there's so much content for this thread: Not much of this stuff is very intuitive. So yes if you are a builder and actually know stuff, please feel free to explain the jokes

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Artifact of real estate standards IIRC. Can't list a bathroom as a full bath unless it has a tub, but want to minimize space in a bunch of bathtubs that'll never get used outside of washing a kid or a dog, so you cut them down as small as possible. Drives me crazy too, being a tall person. The whirlpool tub in my current rental was a serious factor in signing the lease.

Huh, well there you go. That explains a lot actually.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

So there are plenty of partioned public toilets in Australia. The partitions often don't go all the way down to the floor or all the way up to the roof, but I was still surprised when I visited the states because the partitions are so far off the floor. Is this just to save money on materials or do Americans like to hold hands when they poo poo?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Nitrox posted:

It's one of the suburban developments where the "front door" is never to be used because everyone just drives up to the garage. Is it stupid? Yes. Many would argue there is no need for the front door to be there at all.

Christ almighty the US is a hellscape

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

This is baffling. You don't have to be an electrician to know this is wrong, you just have to have plugged something in to a wall outlet once ever in your entire life. Is this the tiler's first day on planet earth or what?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do we know it's not?

Yeah there are a lot of places where cutting down those trees would be illegal

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I've posted it before but I lived in a flat where there was carpet nailed to the floor around the toilet. The floor was also carpet. It was....not nice.

I don't know why in tyool 2023 it is still impossible to build a public toilet that does not instantly a) smell of piss and b) have half of the urinals broken and the wall panels falling off.

It surely can't be impossible to just build it out of steel and blast the whole thing with water every night like a prison or something. But no, it's gonna be fake wood panelling and Dyson driers blasting water all over the place.

There's quite a few public toilets in Australia that do this - the whole thing self cleans after every use, similar to the one posted.

Otherwise most public toilets I've used are mostly tiled and easily cleaned, so they generally only smell like the piss that's accumulated since it was last cleaned, which unfortunately is still a lot of piss.

The USA has a reputation for bad toilets though, the cubical doors are weirdly tiny and the toilets fill all the way up with water for no discernible reason.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

8one6 posted:

Every time I see DIY bunker poo poo I just think to myself that carbon dioxide weighs more than oxygen and I'd never trust myself (let alone some random idiot on the internet) to set up the proper ventilation to prevent it from becoming a makeshift tomb.

Is a bunker any worse than a basement though?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, this takes the cake from the sunken bathtub adventures: https://www.reddit.com/r/Construction/comments/19eiifp/were_out_of_state_and_our_contractor_cut_through/

They wanted a toilet, they got their house cut in half. This is apparently on an upper floor too, not ground floor.

Can this be fixed or is the house just hosed now? If it can be fixed, how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

wheatpuppy posted:

I know Japan has the whole "disposable housing" mindset where houses are expected to be torn down and replaced regularly. So would they find value in "historical buildings" (outside like, famous shrines and the imperial palace)? Or would that just be weird to them, like declaring a trailer park a historical monument.

The difference is that if you completely demolished a temple and rebuilt it the same way in the same place, they'd consider it to be the same temple, whereas in the west we'd consider it a reconstruction or replica.

The actual building is considered a consumable, replaceable thing. It is the site, it's function and operations that matter to them. If the ship of Theseus can't move then it's definitely the same ship.