Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The slayer thing reads more like an early concept that was contradicted later by the story.

Family heads are immortal by contract with the administrators and the only ones who can ignore that contract are irregulars. So ignoring that they are shown to clown on anyone by pure strength alone slayers couldn't kill them anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I personally can't decide if the "slayers that can't actually slay their target," thing is an intentional ideological drift in FUG or just an authorial screw up. If it is an intentional flaw in the organization its a pretty neat way to remind the audience that FUG has long since lost sight of their original goals.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Junkozeyne posted:

The slayer thing reads more like an early concept that was contradicted later by the story.

Family heads are immortal by contract with the administrators and the only ones who can ignore that contract are irregulars. So ignoring that they are shown to clown on anyone by pure strength alone slayers couldn't kill them anyway

Thing with the Tower is there are always alternatives, the Rules can be bent and broken over people's heels, Sure a Slayer cannot kill the family heads right now, but they might be able to find a way to do so. Karaka might certainly be able to do so if he is in fact a descendant of Jahad, the rules might not apply to him the same, Yama with the transformation might be able to break free of the rules as well, Bam of course is an Irregular and could do it.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

Thing with the Tower is there are always alternatives, the Rules can be bent and broken over people's heels, Sure a Slayer cannot kill the family heads right now, but they might be able to find a way to do so. Karaka might certainly be able to do so if he is in fact a descendant of Jahad, the rules might not apply to him the same, Yama with the transformation might be able to break free of the rules as well, Bam of course is an Irregular and could do it.

That's my assumption too. Yes, Jahad and the Family Heads have immortality by contract that only Irregulars can ignore, but Fug have presumably spent a long, long time trying very, very hard to find ways to subvert that contract. The fact that their efforts haven't worked yet doesn't mean that it's impossible.

...and also yes, presumably large portions of Fug have basically lost sight of their founding ideals and become just a crime syndicate, but that's beside the point.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

590 spoilers Really excited to see Yuri and Book Lady kick all kinds of rear end.

Also pretty sad Yasratcha died and we never saw his fluffy cat again. But maybe this will make Yama not lame, though I hope we don't have to endure a training arc featuring him.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
There’s nothing quite like getting hammered with the enemy and then becoming secret best friends :allears:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Yuri and Tiara becoming buds (at least temporarily) cause they got shitfaced together is a good bit, and Tiara's probably my favorite new character in a while. Who doesn't love a psychopathic murder-machine librarian?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

ATP_Power posted:

Yuri and Tiara becoming buds (at least temporarily) cause they got shitfaced together is a good bit, and Tiara's probably my favorite new character in a while. Who doesn't love a psychopathic murder-machine librarian?

I think there’s a decent chance that she ends up following Baam once she sees him do some crazy Baam poo poo.

This isn’t a spoiler but it was cool when Rak did something a few chapters ago, glad he’s not forgotten like basically all my other favorite characters from the first part.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I think there’s a decent chance that she ends up following Baam once she sees him do some crazy Baam poo poo.

This isn’t a spoiler but it was cool when Rak did something a few chapters ago, glad he’s not forgotten like basically all my other favorite characters from the first part.
Tbf first part has a huge presence. Rachel, Hwaryun, Endorsi, Khun, Croc, even freckles and sword guy were around last arc. But if you're referring to Anak yes lol.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Yeah it's been a minute since Anak's shown up, but what about Wagnan and Yihwa? I think it's been literally years since either of them have made an appearance.

I still think that out of the big three Rak's the one who needs something extra to fully fit the new paradigm, like he's got things he can do, but still is mostly serving as comic relief which is a shame cause Rak rules.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Wang and Yihwa are S2! Rak did get the White buff but I agree that idk what his goals even are.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

No Wave posted:

Wang and Yihwa are S2! Rak did get the White buff but I agree that idk what his goals even are.

Rak’s goal is to hunt turtles isn’t it? Baam is gonna be the biggest turtle in the tower by the end of this, Rak knows what he’s doing.

Anak is exactly who I was thinking about though, with the Green April showing in the last panel.

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 26, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
if they're hinting at Anak coming back i might have to start reading this again :v:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if they're hinting at Anak coming back i might have to start reading this again :v:

I don’t think that’s what’s happening, It’s Yuri using the same weapon but she’s had it for a while and used it before with no mention of Anak. I hope I’m wrong though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm convinced Bong Bong is stronger than any ignition weapon.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I would laugh my rear end off if the final boss is actually Rak, and he meant what he said way back in the beginning about hunting Baam.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Rak is currently comic relief/sniper

I'd like his ancestors legacy powers to be fleshed out more, maybe he powers up from hunting big game or something until he's op

I also wonder how much of, if at all, the tower's laws affect bam, and would love to see levels higher than the "artificial top of the tower"

Bam should be able to climb no matter what, but breaking the current government or changing their minds somehow would allow others to keep climbing and more freedom.

Maybe the king is the final boss, or maybe we figure out the real reason the highest of the high rankers banned climbing further.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'd like to see those things but with the pace of the story i doubt we will without a significant time jump nearing or at floor 100 or at least a bunch of mini ones. since baam still needs to get the other 2 thorns after this war

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

SIU needs to up the pace before his hands fall off, hopefully we’re starting to get towards the end now that we’re seeing family heads fight

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

592 out

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Hell yeah

Yuri is so cool, lol at how she stole the pen.

I don’t support punching dogs but it’s definitely a :hellyeah: moment when Baam does it.

Lobadon is cool, excited to see more of him, but feel like he might get Worfed to set up Baam to take down Kirin.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OK yeah this would be pretty funny, don't know why I didn't think of that as a possible outcome

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
593 and 594 are out in pretty poor quality at towerofgod.top if people are wondering where to read it

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Jose posted:

593 and 594 are out in pretty poor quality at towerofgod.top if people are wondering where to read it

Thank you, Jose

Cosmicscans is back up but a week behind, comments are talking about sites getting hit with DCMAs. Hard times out there.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Is it me or is Androssi getting the same character development as Nami from One Piece?

Also, 593 had some terrible translations on Comicscans. Is it worse on towerofgod.top or the same?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Seems like the scan site stuff got worked out so I caught back up

lol Gustant get rekt

It's a bit late for it at this point but I'm loving Baam's fashion sense for these dire circumstances

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tosk posted:

Definitely Traumerei, I can't see Gustang being built up since so early in the series (Workshop Battle?) only for his arc to culminate here. He's also still attached to mysteries like his daughter, Enne Zahard.

It's nice that the plot is moving along at a certain speed now, but god I hate the way SIU writes battles or portrays his own powerscaling. It just feels like it undermines the narrative hardcore to hype up the Slayers as gods within the Tower and FUG, and then have high rankers introduced a few chapters ago like Dumas simultaneously clown on two of them plus the manwha's sensei-figure in Jinsung. Yama is practically a joke at this point.

I feel like the earlier parts of the series basically wrote checks the latter parts couldn't cash regarding the setting's power scaling. Like, early on you're left thinking "whoa, these characters are so strong, but even a regular Ranker is still almost untouchable to them." But in the end it seems like SIU wasn't really up to the task of visually showing these differences beyond a pretty early point, so you just end up with different sides throwing around big flashy blasts that we're told are stronger/weaker than each other.

That being said, I don't think Slayer candidates were ever assumed to all individually be ultra-powerful. As someone else mentioned, I believe the deal with Slayers is only that "they have some unique factor that means they have a non-zero chance of being able to kill Jahad and other family leaders, who are otherwise literally unkillable." It's entirely possible for a Slayer candidate to be weaker than a normal Ranker, since being a Slayer candidate only means that they might have the potential to get through the family leaders' immortality.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the earlier parts of the series basically wrote checks the latter parts couldn't cash regarding the setting's power scaling. Like, early on you're left thinking "whoa, these characters are so strong, but even a regular Ranker is still almost untouchable to them." But in the end it seems like SIU wasn't really up to the task of visually showing these differences beyond a pretty early point, so you just end up with different sides throwing around big flashy blasts that we're told are stronger/weaker than each other.

I liked it when regular attacks were blasts of various sizes and shapes being thrown at each other, and ranker attacks were super special like Yuri's roses. But the constant need for power creep is smudging everything together.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Someone's been hitting the gym

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Nate RFB posted:

Someone's been hitting the gym

Oh my god you could grind meat on those

I’m torn. Beefcake Urek is extremely my jam but Slim Shady Urek feels way more intimidating somehow.

But we all know he just trying his best to impress Baam

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
lol Urek busting out YYH Toguro power up sequences

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Urek Mazino is loving strong

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I wonder which family head(s) Urek is going to fight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Luslec unexpectedly kind of goofy and I'm here for it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Catching up in the latest scans, lol Hwa Ryun.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Hwa Ryun is awesome, was very happy to see her again!

I wonder how many more arcs SIU has planned, Baam still doesn't feel strong enough to take on the strongest in the Tower yet but we're obviously getting towards the end. Looking forward to getting more of the backstory filled in, hopefully soon.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man

Nate RFB posted:

My favourite moment in the last few months. "I can't open this door, but I can close it behind me" is so much in character, it's great how coherent this story still is.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

https://cosmic-scans.com/tower-of-god-chapter-607/

Rak is cool

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
A predator, not prey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm so glad SIU finally said gently caress it and is jumping the original main cast up to high rankers.