Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

to be fair, he's playing a part written and directed by a Jewish filmmaker.

In the scheme of things its really not very offensive, and the part itself isn't really offensive. Literally any other actor and I wouldn't have thought twice about it but Cruise has absolutely no sense of humor about Scientology, so I feel like he should stay away from comedy that has anything to do with religion whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Red posted:

Entertaining movies Ben Stiller is in:

- Empire of the Sun
- Dodgeball
- Heavyweights
- The Cable Guy
- Happy Gilmore (well, as of 1998)
- Royal Tenenbaums
- Megamind

I haven't seen it, but people seemed to like Greenberg.

Everything else, as a rule, is a horrible embarrassing mess.

The lack of Mystery Men on this list makes me... upset.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Also missing from the list is 1991's Highway to Hell where he plays Attila the Hun and a fry cook.

moller fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 9, 2015

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Grendels Dad posted:

The lack of Mystery Men on this list makes me... upset.

Great idea, but awful execution. To be fair, I haven't seen it in a decade, and I feel like I should rewatch it.

moller posted:

Also missing from the list is 1991's Highway to Hell where he plays Atilla the Hun.

I've never even heard of this.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Red posted:

I've never even heard of this.

It used to be on netflix but sadly no longer is. Ben Stiller's parents are both in it as well. Also, Gilbert Gottfried as Hitler. Highway to Hell probably belongs in this thread on its own merits, but I can't seem to find any contemporary critical reviews of it. It may have been direct to video.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

to be fair, he's playing a part written and directed by a Jewish filmmaker.

And apparently based on one of the people that served as producer on Tropic Thunder in the first place (Stuart Cornfeld).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

And apparently based on one of the people that served as producer on Tropic Thunder in the first place (Stuart Cornfeld).

i assumed it was based on Harvey Weinstein. it is possible that i, am the real racist.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I hate to admit but I actually liked Ghosts of Mars. I think I just like John Carpenter movies no matter how bad they got. Maybe they were awful to begin, maybe his awfulness was perfect for the 80s when that was the standard.

Also The Last Dragon was pretty amazing. Sho'nuff!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

I hate to admit but I actually liked Ghosts of Mars. I think I just like John Carpenter movies no matter how bad they got. Maybe they were awful to begin, maybe his awfulness was perfect for the 80s when that was the standard.

I think there's certainly something to that, his scores were perfect for the 80's especially. Still, the best stuff Carpenter did(Halloween, The Thing) is timeless and holds up just as well as ever.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I think there's certainly something to that, his scores were perfect for the 80's especially. Still, the best stuff Carpenter did(Halloween, The Thing) is timeless and holds up just as well as ever.

The Thing should be in the loving Library of Congress or something.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Thing should be in the loving Library of Congress or something.

Do people dislike this movie? Show yourselves!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

Do people dislike this movie? Show yourselves!

I've met plenty of people who think Halloween is boring, but I've never once talked to anyone who saw The Thing and didn't like it. Halloween is more "important" though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

There is quite a bit of time between the first set of killings by little Michael Myers and grown-up Shatner-mask Myers. The main set of killings take place in a fairly short amount of time. One of my students last year wanted to do her Media Studies exam on slasher films and she was reluctant to write about Halloween because she found it "boring."

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

There is quite a bit of time between the first set of killings by little Michael Myers and grown-up Shatner-mask Myers. The main set of killings take place in a fairly short amount of time. One of my students last year wanted to do her Media Studies exam on slasher films and she was reluctant to write about Halloween because she found it "boring."

I could definitely see that as off-putting to some, but I loved seeing Michael Meyers in broad daylight and just feeling so tense. Then the third act rolls around and its just hold on to your butts for non stop fun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vagabundo posted:

I'm very curious what a college student of today would want to write about if they were doing an essay on slasher films. Did she end up doing it?

I know for me it wasn't until very recently, and I'm over 30, that I really went all the way to the roots of the slasher film and started watching stuff like Mario Bava, Argento, then Black Christmas and so on. Did she want to pretty much just write about Jason and Freddy?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Nothing says "i'm gonna kill you!", like bringing the tombstones of their unknown murdered parents siblings with you.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 10, 2015

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm very curious what a college student of today would want to write about if they were doing an essay on slasher films. Did she end up doing it?

I know for me it wasn't until very recently, and I'm over 30, that I really went all the way to the roots of the slasher film and started watching stuff like Mario Bava, Argento, then Black Christmas and so on. Did she want to pretty much just write about Jason and Freddy?

Not quite "of today" but my friend wrote his masters thesis on the slasher, although focusing more on the period from 78-82 and looking at the socio-economic world that informed the films. (You asking actually inspired me to read it)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

She was a 17 year-old high school student, and she did end up watching the film. The specific films I directed her towards were Psycho, Halloween, Scream and Cabin in the Woods, since the exam involved looking at how particular genres respond to society, and how horror movies have often been a vehicle to categorise the youth of the day into specific types, who were then punished accordingly for their transgressions, real or imagined, as well as how horror has been kinder to women than most genres when one looks at the survivor girl character archetype.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea its crazy but I guess the slasher film is such a broad topic that its impossible to cover everything even in something like a master's thesis, let alone a high school essay.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vagabundo posted:

She was a 17 year-old high school student, and she did end up watching the film. The specific films I directed her towards were Psycho, Halloween, Scream and Cabin in the Woods, since the exam involved looking at how particular genres respond to society, and how horror movies have often been a vehicle to categorise the youth of the day into specific types, who were then punished accordingly for their transgressions, real or imagined, as well as how horror has been kinder to women than most genres when one looks at the survivor girl character archetype.

Are there more girl survivors than girls killed for being sluts?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

effectual posted:

Are there more girl survivors than girls killed for being sluts?

Yeah I'm not sure that, even ignoring this point, survivor-girl comes out as "kind to women". In the vast majority of cases, "survivor-girl" equates to "with enough trauma and survival instinct, a woman can learn to be more like a man". Like it's the amazing true story of a person who overcame their serious handicap... of being a girl. What's the first thing people tell you to get you to give a slasher movie a chance? "But it's really cool cause one of the girls fights back".

It's not like you often hear about a group of men who are being slaughtered until one of them decides to stop running and fight back.

Of course there are films that aren't horribly sexists, but I think that the idea that horror was kinder to women than other genres is pretty questionable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nancy from A Nightmare on Elm Street is pretty smart and tough through out. I'm pretty sure once she discovers she can actually pull him out, she's goes into take charge mode because she found his weakness.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Yeah I'm not sure that, even ignoring this point, survivor-girl comes out as "kind to women". In the vast majority of cases, "survivor-girl" equates to "with enough trauma and survival instinct, a woman can learn to be more like a man". Like it's the amazing true story of a person who overcame their serious handicap... of being a girl. What's the first thing people tell you to get you to give a slasher movie a chance? "But it's really cool cause one of the girls fights back".

It's not like you often hear about a group of men who are being slaughtered until one of them decides to stop running and fight back.

Of course there are films that aren't horribly sexists, but I think that the idea that horror was kinder to women than other genres is pretty questionable.

Slasher movies often have plenty of men being killed right alongside the women for the exact same reasons. If all the men in the movie are killed, and the one person who survives is a woman, I'm not sure how that is saying being a girl is a handicap.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Nancy from A Nightmare on Elm Street is pretty smart and tough through out. I'm pretty sure once she discovers she can actually pull him out, she's goes into take charge mode because she found his weakness.

Like I said, there are plenty of exceptions. It's not surprising that many of the best slasher and horror films are more progressive and interesting. It's why they're good films. But for every good film there's a bad one, and about a dozen ignorant imitators.

Basebf555 posted:

Slasher movies often have plenty of men being killed right alongside the women for the exact same reasons. If all the men in the movie are killed, and the one person who survives is a woman, I'm not sure how that is saying being a girl is a handicap.

Because a film's message is made from more than its outcome. The situations in which men are killed are almost always ones where the man was expected to be a savior. In a well-made film, a situation like this can be empowering, but in the vast majority of trashy slashers, it's really not.

And if you really think that horror has been a kind genre to women, I would challenge you to find a genre that has more women being raped; Something that often happens purely for the shock-value.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Watched The Salvation today and since Danish reviewers shat on it a little I feel justified posting about it here.

Directed by Kristian Levring (The King is Alive) starring Mads Mikkelsen as a veteran from the Danish-Prussian war of 1864 who has settled on the American prairie. It opens as he greets his wife and son at the train station, both of whom he has not seen in 7 years. After they leave towards home in the stagecoach, Things Happen.

Levring is enjoying the hell out of playing with every Western cliché that you can think of. Immaterial spoiler: I really liked the shots of the horses running aimlessly about during the final shootout. Mikkelsen is of course very good as a stoic tortured man. Eva Green has a strange role, but she pulled it off in my opinion. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is evil as hell. Also it's got Eric Cantona the football player for some reason.

Thematic spoiler: the oilfield towers as the credits start to roll.

E: Also Mikael Persbrandt in a small but badass role.

E2: Admittedly there is a rape in The Salvation, but it is a genre piece so.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 10, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

And if you really think that horror has been a kind genre to women, I would challenge you to find a genre that has more women being raped; Something that often happens purely for the shock-value.

Without getting into all the other stuff you said, which was mostly bullshit, I watch plenty of horror movies and I wouldn't want to see anyone get raped. Its not all that difficult to avoid that kind of poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Without getting into all the other stuff you said, which was mostly bullshit, I watch plenty of horror movies and I wouldn't want to see anyone get raped. Its not all that difficult to avoid that kind of poo poo.

Holy poo poo. All I was doing was responding to the claim that, compared to other genres, horror was kinder to women.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Watched The Salvation today and since Danish reviewers shat on it a little I feel justified posting about it here.

Directed by Kristian Levring (The King is Alive) starring Mads Mikkelsen as a veteran from the Danish-Prussian war of 1864 who has settled on the American prairie. It opens as he greets his wife and son at the train station, both of whom he has not seen in 7 years. After they leave towards home in the stagecoach, Things Happen.

Levring is enjoying the hell out of playing with every Western cliché that you can think of. Immaterial spoiler: I really liked the shots of the horses running aimlessly about during the final shootout. Mikkelsen is of course very good as a stoic tortured man. Eva Green has a strange role, but she pulled it off in my opinion. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is evil as hell. Also it's got Eric Cantona the football player for some reason.

Thematic spoiler: the oilfield towers as the credits start to roll.

E: Also Mikael Persbrandt in a small but badass role.
Thanks for reminding me this existed. The trailer made it look super-cliche, but I will watch anything with Mads Mikkelsen

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 10, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Awesome. I fixed my hosed up spoilers, either way there aren't plot elements in either of them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I watched the Salvation with two other people, and afterwards we agreed it started out strong but was entirely predictable from there on. I did love the look of it, and the actors. I would watch Mads Mikkelsen eat breakfast.

Interesting to see a western shot on digital too.

edit: vv absolutely, I still enjoyed the movie a lot. Wish there were more modern westerns released.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 10, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It is not a masterpiece at all, but imo it really enjoys being a western and I really enjoyed watching it.

(it may make a difference if you come from a country that has not made any westerns except for some idiotic attempts in the 60s)

Jethz
Sep 17, 2004
Has anyone in the US seen 'The Loft'? It's basically a US remake of a Belgian film by the same director.
Newspapers here in Belgium say that it's being torn to shreds by critics in the US, but that the people who actually watch it, liked it.

It's sitting at 5% on Rotten Tomatoes and 7/10 on IMBD.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

G-III posted:

I'm guessing you've never seen a Canon Group picture before, have you?

http://youtu.be/GOJoLaxokzM

http://youtu.be/pBMZkk1OCyw

I love Ninja III. It is so bizarre. Also if you haven't seen the Cannon/Golan-Globus documentary, you should really check it out.

Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Jethz posted:

Has anyone in the US seen 'The Loft'? It's basically a US remake of a Belgian film by the same director.
Newspapers here in Belgium say that it's being torn to shreds by critics in the US, but that the people who actually watch it, liked it.

So it's almost as good as Transformers?

Jethz
Sep 17, 2004

StuG Jeebus posted:

So it's almost as good as Transformers?

Yes, but with less explosions. (I don't know because I haven't see it nor the original. I was just curious to see if anyone from the forums in the US has actually seen it as it's not often Belgian directors get a chance in Hollywood. "The Drop" is another movie by a Belgian director and probably better than "The Loft".)

Jethz fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 9, 2015

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Jethz posted:

Has anyone in the US seen 'The Loft'?

I misread this initially and thought it said The Lift. The prospect of a high budget remake of a Dutch killer elevator movie peaked my interest.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Devil was a remake?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Das Boo posted:

Devil was a remake?

You joke but 'Devil' was loosely based on Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None'.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jethz posted:

It's an insanely hateful piece of poo poo.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You joke but 'Devil' was loosely based on Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None'.

Every other movie is based on And Then There Were None.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

So loosely as to not matter. It had a similar theme of retribution for sins we didn't know about, but the actual story is pretty different. "And Then There Were None" has no paranormal or supernatural elements, and is about humans being murderers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I read a spoiler for the end of The Loft and it's ludicrously complicated. I can't even summarize, it's like an Agatha Christie ending if Agatha Christie were really loving drunk.

• Locked thread