Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Have your sister sever; dogs know character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Friend adopted an older hound with similar issues, he'd have a very small tell of sniffing around then immediate piss. He'd also do it when left alone out of anxiety.

It just took her time, probably 4-5 months. Try to find what the dog's tell is, even if it's going into another room, and get her outside when she starts that tell. Setting up a bell or some type of audible cue can also help, she may not know how to communicate outside effectively. The separation anxiety pisses took even more time to resolve and could even happen if we locked him out of a room for a short period.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 19, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oscarine

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Agreed. If your dog is anxious and you introduce a new, uncontrolled element into the house, your dog may very well turn aggressive toward it.

Separation anxiety is a big hurdle to get over, but it is achievable. You have to start with things like going into another room for a few seconds and then coming back with treats. Then to the other side of a door, then outside, etc. Slowly build up the time you're gone for. Pup's gotta learn that going away just means that extra special fun times happen when you come back.

Thor used to freak out when we'd leave for more than 5 minutes, but now he can't wait for us to go so he can turn the entire couch into a pillow fortress and nap. Seriously. He runs upstairs into the guest bedroom (which doesn't have a door), steals all the pillows and brings them down 3 flights of stairs, and uses them + the couch pillows to build a little nest. Then he crawls under it and sleeps all day.
I thought the bolded is shown not to help SA? There shouldn't be super happy fun times when you get back, a dog with SA can only have super happy fun times when you're present. Rather he just needs to have confidence to be alone. I got a hound on Sunday and while he isn't destructive in his crate while I'm gone, he will bark/whine/bay for 2-10 minutes after I crate him and leave the apartment. He is also super stuborn about going in there despite only getting PB Kong/bone/pigs ears while in there. He gives no fucks about any of them though. I'm pretty sure I'm at fault though as the first day I got him I did a quick grocery run to see if he'd have anxiety and entered the apartment while he was barking (after 30 or so minutes.) I didn't let him out until he calmed down, but I think he still thinks it can summon me. Uncrated I can leave and he just waits at the door with a few whimpers (also working on that) but his foster stated he might be a bit destructive. I'll be working to see if that's true this weekend.

Dyna Soar posted:

I'm no expert, but a second dog is unlike to fix her anxiety. She's missing you and a dog companion will not make her miss you less. I'd say getting a second dog is a bad idea until you've worked through her issues.
There's no guarantee so it's last resort, but I read multiple anecdotes of it being the solution for people's bassets with bad SA before I got my guy. A foster with the option to adopt might be a good idea in that case.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 20, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Faith For Two posted:

I've been thinking of getting a dog for a while. In the past, I couldn't get a pet dog because I lived in a pet-free college dorm. Now I live in an apartment that allows pets. My current roommates prefer not to have a pet living in the apartment. How could I convince them otherwise?

fake edit: My apartment does not allow dogs younger than 1 year, so I'd be getting an adult dog.
You'll need to kidnap your roommate (I like chlorophyll on the washcloth used for face washing) and after a week or so devise a situation where your rescue dog is the hero.

Otherwise you may just need to have a conversation and look for a breed that will not trigger some of his concerns.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hey what ever happened to your friend's dog in Seattle which was hopefully put down?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

What I don't understand is why you'd wish a dog to be put down for next to no reason
A dog who snaps at people walking is dangerous and should be put down. You seem to have some fantasy view of dogs and their behavior.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Your neighbors need to be dead iirc. ianal

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I cannot get my basset to stop wanting to play after eating. He also has soft and sometimes loose stools. What can I do to keep him from playing? I have tried Kong's and pb, bones and PB bones which have some effect but the tongue is long and he is good at puzzle toys or buries them for later and plays. Will changing food for the stools possibly have an effect on his post meal.

Before eating we either go on an hour walk or the dog park for 1-2 on an every other day rotation. I feed him no earlier than 7 but usually later. He does not eat in the morning if I have his leftovers out before I go to work.

-e blue buffalo chicken wilderness

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 8, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Why do you care so much about your dog playing after dinner? He's been hanging out all day with nothing to do, he probably just wants to burn some energy.
He isn't completely housebroken and I'd like to cook.

/e- also bloat fears

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 8, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wtftastic posted:

do they not have bathrooms in europe where you could contain your sainted rescue?
That would require a baby gate which was suggestion 8 rather than the previous 7 suggestions of containment that were not a crate.

That stupid Seattle dog who has lovely pacific northwest :feelsgood: owners is what I remember best though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

Plenty of poo poo to wreck in our bathroom. It's next to impossible to turn safe for a puppy. Will you take my word or do you need pictures or something?
Please give me a picture of your bathroom. Is there a shelf of figurines or are you worried about the shower curtain and TP.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Go to the shelter and look for a Boodle

https://www.google.com/search?q=bas...CFQo-PgodyywAfg

:3

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What are some good durable harnesses? Basset has destroyed three of them, the most recent by chewing through it while it was on him. Alternatively cheap ones that can be replaced frequently would work.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Balcony posted:

So my frenchie is really settled at night now. In fact, after his last toilet trip outside he often runs straight in to his crate ready for bed.

My new challenge is to get him to stop pulling on his lead when we walk. I've done some research and apparently every time he does this I should stop until he stops pulling, rather than yanking. I have been doing this but he doesn't really seem to be getting it. In fact, tonight he got pretty frustrated every time I stopped and started trying to leap forward, which he has never done before. Is this normal? Should I persevere with this method or is it just going to result in a dog who jumps forward instead of walking?

Thanks for any help
You can change direction when he pulls and give treats when you have a loose leash to help accelerate it, but good walking etiquette will take time. Also try other treats/commands/namegame in the middle of the walk so he knows that he needs to be looking at you.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are many "common sense" things like that or expiration dates on most food that's meant to get you to buy new even when you don't need to. Clean it and put something that smells of your dog in it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

To teach my dog down I had to sit with my knees forming a tent and lure him through it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Leave, wait until she is quiet, come back. Rinse and repeat.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

This doesn't happen. If I go into another room behind a doggy fence, she sits at the fence and cries indefinitely until I come back. It's that bad.

I started my pup with 45 minute shits as he wouldn't be quiet when I was doing business there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't know if you're renting or what but my dog had more accidents than normal after a move and it turned out that the floor boards, kitchen island and steps were absolutely covered in dry piss from the old tenants.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

What are people's experiences with dog weight limits in property rentals? We're looking for a new place and when you combine the need for real AC, a washer dryer, and dogs allowed there's not much in the 'up to about $2,000' range here. I can understand it, but the 'we allow small dogs' thing seems a bit daft from a damage point of view as they can be little shits as we all know.

25lbs seems to be the limit I see thrown around a lot, but we're basset hound people and you can only get half a hound for that amount. We're not looking to adopt until about 6 months in, so will be keeping an eye on the proposed community until then. I saw a beagle going around today and Google tells me they're about at the limit. Most people seem to think bassets are beagles anyway, so maybe nobody will notice...
I have a 45 lb basset and I cannot imagine the possibility of a landlord having issue with him. Granted my current doesn't care about dogs at all, but when I was looking around ~35# limit houses he wasn't an issue.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I got a cat who is brave and sweet and has hissed at my basset like 3 times when they've been in eyesight, the more recent times they've seen each other not even a hiss. No clawing or anything. He is absolutely deathly afraid of her. Any advice to ease a dog into an adult cat who seems pretty chill. I think by EOW she will be roaming the whole apartment and I don't want him to have a heart attack.

This is a dog who is so cowardly that when I got a bike he refused to go into that portion of the apartment and peed/pooed in the bathroom to avoid said bike rather than ask to go out and see the bike.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 7, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A bagel is a basset beagle.

I can run with my basset but a good smell will stop is both

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yes it's fun to have dogs that become an anxious wreck when their siblings are not around.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Basset is super terrified of cats, my cat now is comfortable enough to just lay on the floor and chill. When she does this my hound will not go anywhere within eyesight.

What can I do other than getting rid of the Cat?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'll share a hound frozen in terror on steps leading to the house after I dump this cat.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Any suggestions for getting a dog to aclimate getting into a bike cart? Once we are moving he's good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A hound I recall seeing with a child bite history was a basset who'd been "fallen upon while sleeping and instinctively bit." This was in Canada.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mirthless posted:

what's funny about this link is that in the golden age of the small american farm the average american farm was still 200 acres

at the peak of the great depression it was still a hundred

I do not dispute a small farmer may have need of a guard dog, I dispute that 3.5 acres qualifies as a farm or that there would ever be any reason to keep six dogs on 3.5 acres

since you're so good at google you may want to see what qualifies for a farm.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

No generally coyotes and feral hogs are the only thing you can hunt year round. Even the megapest deer have a season.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Maybe you should take some Xanax or smoke some weed. I don't know why you think you'll adapt to a new schedule so fast regardless.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

your guinea pig will probably be killed, staffies are not social and you won't be able to take him off lead due to aggression IMO, but regardless he's resource guarding so try to trade wrt the ball, treats to get him off the bed etc etc. This will also make him like you more.

/e- I hate staffies as well, they've as a whole been the most aggressive bully breed when I took my basset to the park and I leave asap when someone shows up with one.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 25, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

At his age is when dogs are the biggest assholes. I got my scent hound at 13 months and he would run miles with me with no shortage of energy even in the rain. Two years later and I can't even get him to go outside if it's not comfortable out. Your walks need to be miles/hours if you want him to be passing out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't see why you wrote off scent hounds due to no-lead and then got a breed with innate DA. If you don't have a fence then yeah, no scent hounds.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 25, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Mine runs away in fear of anything other than a squirrel and doesn't even chase after them unless they surprise eachother :3

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

What kind/brand of flea and heartworm protection are you all using for your dogs?

Is there a specific monthly chewable out there someone can recommend me?

Ask your vet

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Basset hound.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't see how you can look at noodle hounds and rate them over sausage hounds.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have to give my dog steroids for about 2 months of the year due to seasonal allergies. No fungus/bacteria so far thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t know if this is the right thread, I just need to vent. My poor doggy who we’ve only had for 6 months collapsed tonight. She’s 10 and we rescued her knowing she had anal cancer, but they gave her a good prognosis and her checkup only 3 days ago was positive in a good way. We had a party tonight and she loved all the attention she got, because she’s the most diva hound there is. But when she came out back with us, her back legs just gave way. It could just be a bad night but oh god I’ve seen this before and I just can’t stop crying. I hope she’s just loving with me because I’m in such a mess :(

Thats rough. I hope she was just pulling a flat Basset.