Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

HootTheOwl posted:

Have you ever seen a Frenchie skull?
It's cruel that we keep making Frenchies.

There's someone out there trying to breed a new Frenchie that has a more reasonably shaped snout. So at least someone is trying. Getting AKC etc to recognize the change will probably be a heavier lift, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

There's no stopping those dang dingos. She's only like 18.5" tall!

Jarvis is a 42lb mini bernedoodle and when he gets excited he can pop straight up in the air with a solid 18" of clearance (I'm 6'5 and he could nip my chin doing it), more if he pulled his hind legs up. The springs on some doggos is impressive.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Too many people get dogs for looks and don't think about the breeding and care requirements (my neighbor with their doberman are these people).

I have to admit that part of the reason we got a bernedoodle was for looks, but when I started looking into them, a lower energy snow rescue dog was really what we needed. If I lived somewhere warmer I wouldn't consider it, he's warm enough as it is up here.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Berners are cart pullers. You're thinking of the St Bernard. :colbert:

Ha, true. But also can dig like crazy in the snow. He's got those snow dog feet (which I love).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Any toy recommendations for a super-chewer? Jarvis has managed to destroy just about everything we've given him, including 'indestructible' toys. Even seemingly heavy duty Kong stuff just gets shredded.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

“Gorilla” wood chews.

They’re….a rounded block of wood. They don’t splinter. My mutts have destroyed every other toy known to man but will chew on these for hours without making a mark.

Sweet. I'll look into those. Bonus, he loves sticks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm really happy that Jarvis is super social and wants to meet everyone. But we've also been fortunate that people in my area tend to be really respectful and ask. It's something I've trained my kids to do unwaveringly, and a few times it's saved them from a poor interaction.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, it's just as bad as the toddler stage. At least through the baby needle teeth falling out.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

We got Jarvis a harness that attaches in the front and it completely stopped him pulling on walks. They say it's because the action when they hit the end is to the side, instead of straight back, which (he's half bernie) normally triggers a pulling instinct. In this case, the front attachment pulls to the side which is more of a "I need your attention" signal.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s this.

Yep. When Jarvis needs to be reminded of this, his leash has a handy loop that puts him perfectly at my side until he remembers that taking off is no bueno.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jarvis hated the cone, and didn't really like the donut. He did just fine with the body suit and after the first few days showed no sign of extra interest in the incision area at all.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I love my puppy but holy poo poo puppies are a complete pain in the rear end in very way possible.

Not empty quoting but it's true.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah he was up every 2 hours last night with smallish, loosish stools so I guess we’ll check in with the vet tomorrow.

Jarvis had loose/wet poops off and on for a couple of weeks when we first brought him home. Firmed up eventually and hasn't had anything worse than a little bit soft in the year and a half since.

I'm guessing it's relatively normal for adjusting to a new environment.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Slip leads are great. We use them all the time for potty breaks (he has a dedicated poop pen on the other side of the deck) and going to and from the car.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jarvis has about 18 names that are all variations of his actual name or pup, dog, etc. What gets used is entirely dependent upon mood and situation.

Anyone who wants to police how I interact with my flufferbutt can gently caress all the way off.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

When Jarvis was still small enough to get under the couch, he would go into what we called Gremlin mode. Once we were able to fend off the needle teeth and get him out of there her converted back.

It was kind of hilarious.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Tad Naff posted:

... and then

Jarvis hated the cone. His activity levels were such that we tried the bodysuit and he tolerated that much better. We did the inflatable ring at night for a while, too. For the most part, he showed no interest in the area at all, so he was pretty free pretty quickly. I credit the vet that did the job for sewing him up well enough that he didn't have itching or anything.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Just like to note that I posted this nine years ago and he still loving does it

Jarvis does this, too. He has stainless bowls and will bang on them when they're empty. With the water, he'll drink some right away, but with the food he mostly looks at it and walks away.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jarvis never had a problem in his crate, but my wife finally relented and he's a full roam-of-the-house dog now. He usually goes back and forth between our bed and the oldest's depending on how warm the rooms are (he picks the coolest one).

If they're peeing in the crate, it might be that it's too big for them. If it's not, then there's some other association that got made in their head that will have to be figured out.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Raised by Wolves?

Please say yes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

No, it's from the Golden Age of Detection.

Fair enough. Not enough fans of that show.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I said come in! posted:

That show was completely unhinged and nuts, I loved it a lot.

I was really disappointed it got cancelled after that absolutely bonkers season finale.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jarvis tolerated the shirt much better than the cone. It's basically just a sweater that wraps around their body and protects the injury. If he's determined to get after it, then the cone might still be necessary, but he really didn't have any concerns about the area anyway, so it was more of an insurance policy for when we couldn't be watching him directly for the first several days.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

This is potty training, yep.

It really doesn't take that long, and using an appropriate sized crate is the right first step.

I'm trying to remember, but Jarvis started sleeping through the night in his puppy crate after just a couple of weeks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

neurotech posted:

My problem is that I don't hear her crying (I'm not even sure if she does cry at all during the night)...

The other thing you can do, if you know she's going in the crate, is set an alarm for around that time and take her out.

Also, what was helpful for us was crating Jarvis at a certain time, including taking him potty, but well before our bedtime. Then I would get him up before we went to bed, usually a couple of hours after, and take him out again. He quickly took to that and started making it through the night easily.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

neurotech posted:

I don't know the time that she goes, unfortunately. I'd need to get some kind of night vision webcam setup or something to be sure. When you say "Then I would get him up before we went to bed, usually a couple of hours after," do you mean you would wake him up at your bed time, take him out to toilet, then do the same a few hours later?

Just the one time.

So say 9pm, potty and then crate with cover.

Sit and watch TV, normal nighttime wind-down.

11pm wake him up, take him out to potty, then crate.

After just a few cycles of that he was sleeping through the night in his crate with no accidents.

But even then, this was after the first few weeks of constant getting up in the middle of the night.

And let me be frank with you: raising a puppy, for at least the first few weeks, is as bad and sometimes harder than a human baby. It takes a lot of effort on your part. If you don't know what time she's going, then set yourself an alarm and take her out every couple of hours. It's a lot of work at the beginning and you need to be willing to be proactive, or she'll never get it satisfactorily. For the first few weeks we had Jarvis, I did not sleep much. But it gets better.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I normally don't like the doodle mustache but that one being a different color then the rest of the pup is adorable

I love doodle beards/moustaches. That and his giant mitts are what I love most about Jarvis.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Lookit those mitts! 😍

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

My Dane doesn’t really drool.

She will when she gets hot on walks but besides that she’s pretty ok.

That being said her water dish is outside because she makes one hell of a mess.

Jarvis's best buddy in our neighborhood is a doberman that's 2 weeks older than him.

Now, Jarvis can eat and drink without hardly even getting his doodle beard damp. It's actually kind of impressive.

When she comes over to play, we have to follow her around with a mop whenever she drinks because it's like someone shaking a loving firehose.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jarvis impressed me this morning. I had a really nice ham and cheese croissant from the local high-end bakery. He was practically drooling next to me while I ate it, but no barks or even whines. I was even able to get up from the table to refresh my coffee and there was not even an attempt at thievery. Just quiet intense staring. He got rewarded with a little bit of the cheesy ham and a small bit of the croissant, which was all I was willing to spare because they're so loving good.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jarvis will bring the first couple of bites over to the living room, but then eats the rest by himself. It's cute until he forgets a kibble nugget and then I step on it later.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm having to resist the temptation to add another dog after spending an evening with Mitch, a classic scruffy dog that just melted my heart the moment I saw him.

I love Jarvis's doodle bearded face, but something about that scruffy look is just :3:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

That's a really good boy. Do you know what mix he is?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jato posted:

He is indeed a doodle. I've always been pretty anti-poodle and poodle mixes but this guy kinda fell into our lap and we just couldn't say no cause he's so drat cute and full of personality.

I think one parent was a 50/50 golden doodle and the other was full poodle.

I figured a doodle of some sort. His coloring could be one of the scruffy terriers, which is why I asked.

We've had such great luck with Jarvis (50/50 mini). He doesn't exhibit a lot of the warning traits we always heard about doodles, particularly bernedoodles. He doesn't go after socks, etc. he's mostly just a cloud-soft loaf that wants to play now and then.

I think doodles are getting better now that you don't have breeders just smashing breeds with poodles. I don't see a lot of labradoodles these days, but lots of golden, berne, and Aussie.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The mini Bernedoodle is peak dog without a job.
You may not like it but it is true

Absolutely true, lol. It's why I had to get him a front-clip harness because he chokes himself half to death with a regular collar on a walk. He's a loaf, but he's a loaf with a pulling instinct.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jarvis only eats when he's hungry, and only eats until he's full. I'm happy he's made it this easy on us.

The only annoyance is that he always wants food in his bowl, so if it's empty, he'll paw at it until we fill it.

Then he walks away and does whatever else he was planning on doing (loafing).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Different respiration (deeper?) and paw perspiration is really all I can imagine. I noticed Jarvis's paws get clammy when he's waking up from deep sleep. But I've never noticed a different smell from sleeping. Definitely from a walk, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Oh man, Bernies are my #1 favorite dog. I just don't have the space or hair tolerance for 100+lb of black st Bernard.

He'll grow into the paws, but they'll still be huge.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jarvis does great with free feeding. To the point where he always wants food in his bowl, even if he's not hungry. He'll see it's empty and paw at it until we put food in, then he walks away and doesn't come back until hungry.

Our friend's ween, on the other hand will stuff herself til she's sick as long as food is available. And will steal anything she gets her greedy little snout near.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I may have to murder my adorable idiot loving dog.

Barking at the street at 6am while everyone is sleeping (it's a day off school). I came to the landing to shush him and slipped down 4 steps, hip-checking the railing on my way down.

Gonna be feeling that one for a few days.