Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Hey internet, everyone meet Umbra, avatar of Anubis!

Despite her resting serious face she is a giant fuckin' goober.

Before anyone comments I am well aware she is severely underweight. I am feeding her as much as she will eat and giving her lots of treats and trying to beef her up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

a strange fowl posted:

holy poo poo what a dog :allears:

she honestly doesn't look all that underweight to me. how old is she? if she's still growing, she'll go through phases where she just uses all her body fat up overnight and wakes up in the morning looking like a xylophone, but that isn't necessarily unhealthy. she also looks like some sort of hound / shepherd mix, so naturally wiry.

a friend of mine told me iris was too underweight the other day, their dog looks like a gentle wine barrel on legs

The foster said they think she's about three years old. She was severely malnourished when they found her and she has put on some weight but she still has pronounced ribs and hip bones.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Of course he's underweight, he can't weigh more than a feather!

Only her heart.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

That's a rad dog! Thanks everyone for the info. She will eat one brand of kibble that her fosters were feeding her so I've just been putting a handful at a time into her bowl until she stops eating, then repeating after a few hours.

I'm starting to mix in some high calorie fresh food from a local producer and she is taking to it well.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Spending NYE the way I want 2023 to go.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Okay, I have a serious problem. My rescue GSD who otherwise seems really well potty trained has started pissing in my dining room, and in her crate regularly. I've been taking care of my friend's dog and I think there's a territory/jealousy thing at play.

I take both dogs out regularly, they seem to interact fine, but if I let Umbra out of my sight she pisses on the floor an immediately licks it up.

Whatever the case I want to break this cycle, and I have a few ideas, but they all start with banishing the urine smell from the floor. My friend's dog is going home tonight and tomorrow morning I want to deep clean this floor. The complication is they are 125 year old hardwood floors and I want to banish this piss and all the piss from the past century from it, but without melting a hole into the basement.

I have nature's miracle urine destroyer, but if anyone has any other products they would like to suggest I am all ears.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I may have posted about this before, but I am still baffled by this issue.

I picked up a rescue 3 year old Dutch Shepard about two months ago. She is generally very well behaved, is obviously house trained, and knows a few commands.

She has developed a habit of peeing in her crate, as in she is loose in the house, then intentionally goes into her crate and pees, then licks the pee up.

She always goes through the night fine without peeing for 8+ hours. I take her out regularly during the day. She obviously understands house training because she immediately pees and poops just as soon as she is let out.

I originally put it down to jealousy or dominance marking because I've had a couple other dogs staying over for extended periods, but she has done it when there are no other dogs around.

Basically she pees in and around her crate and immediately licks up her own urine despite not having incontinence problems, being house trained, and not being locked in the crate at the time. This is baffling me and I have no idea how to proceed to address this.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I have tried moving the crate and she has followed the move. I take her out quite often, particularly after an event where she drinks a lot like going to the dog park, but in the end she without fail manages to go all night without peeing.

One thing we considered was putting her in diapers when we're home and she is out of the crate. My mom thought maybe in a previous home she either had a designated pee spot inside or was just left with no access to the outdoors.

To me the hardest part is that choosing to pee in the crate when there's any other option is the exact opposite of everything I've seen as far as crate training.

I love her dearly and she is so drat good in every other way. I just really don't want my house to smell like dog piss.

Dog tax

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Look at foster agencies near you rather than just shelters. They often foster dogs in homes with cats and can tell you how they act. I wouldn't adopt a dog that hadn't been observed living well with cats.

Beyond that there are several online guides for introducing dogs and cats, but the gyst is to keep them separated for quite a while then start short supervised introductions.

My dog I got from a foster wrestles with my cat while the cat yowls and hisses, and the cat wouldn't have it any other way.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In my continuing effort to run the bright out of my Dutch Shepard's eyes I'm setting up a a bicycle leash.

I'm looking for a good running harness that fits dogs shaped like her with smaller necks but expansive cheats. I got one and it's okay, but the size that fits her well in the chest can't quite shrink enough for her neck.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I got my dog's DNA back and found out that despite not being a purebred GSD and apparently having a Husky grandparent somewhere she is hella inbred. She has the same coefficient of inbreeding as Daenerys Targaryen.

The test also found what I think is her father. No DNA test needed to tell that this is a close relative.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My purebred has a 30% genetic COI and like a 15-17% pedigree COI because her breeder uses linebreeding a lot to get very consistent dogs. I wouldn't personally breed that close but she's a very healthy dog and exactly what I expected to get.

Umbra's is 37%, despite being a mix.

The other dog shares over 45% of her DNA and reads as a purebred GSD. That makes me assume sire rather than sibling.

At least according to her genetic profile she doesn't have any of the bad genetic markers for health conditions.

She will occasionally relax, but it takes a lot of dog park to get there.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 15, 2023

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Umbra made a new best friend at the dog park.

Does anyone have a recommendation for running booties for a dog with duclaws? If I run Umbra on my bike as far and as fast as she can she wears out her paws, but if I put booties on her the straps rub her duclaws raw.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I was very close to finding a new home for Umbra due to some destruction and indoor pee marking when left alone. Thankfully I found out she really doesn't mind being in the back yard for long periods, doesn't bark her head off or try to escape the yard. The long term goal is still to get her comfortable in the house and work though her separation anxiety but for now I can at least stop the proverbial bleeding.

Also she made a friend at the dog park!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Did you try crating her when you left?

Yes. She is fine in the crate, but the crate is also her preferred place to pee inside.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Thirding the "crate might be too big". You can make the crate "smaller" by piling stuff into it. It should be just barely big enough for the dog to turn around in. And to be clear, this is what they want; what looks cramped to us is cozy to them.

That is something I've been looking to try. Her previous crate was a bit big. I don't know if it will do any good because her go-to is to pee on anything she identifies as her bed. With the crate open and available during the day she will choose to pee in there over a corner or going outside through the dog door.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

While I would like Umbra to be crate trained for traveling and boarding situations it is not really a solution for day to day life because two of her jobs are deterring the local unhoused population from using my yard as a toilet and being the little spoon at night.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

My cat is in the ER with a bowel obstruction and Umbra (the dog) keeps looking around the house for him and is too worried to eat regularly.

It's heartbreaking.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I don't have a picture of it but Umbra has a little birthmark towards the back of her tongue. When it shows up it means it's okay to leave the Dog Park.

Edit, I do have a picture of her though, just not the tongue thing.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

I don't let my dog have in-out privileges when I'm gone. I'll either shut her inside or outside depending on how long I'll be gone and the weather. I'm paranoid about her tracking or dragging something inside and having a party with it for hours.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Seconded. I always recommend adopting an adult dog. I recommend looking for a local foster agency that gives a good report on a dog's temperment and reactivity to different things.

A puppy, even from a reputable breeder is a roulette wheel that could land on "bugfuck crazy".

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Live by the stick, die by the stick.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

To go back to treat talk from a while back what is the best dollar to minutes of chewing ratio in a product that is available in multiple single serving pieces among the various animal genital and organ products?

My dog has decided her jaw isn't getting enough exercise and has been taking it out on various non-edible things.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Here's the culprit

AtomikKrab posted:

Get another dog, have them chew on each other until tired.

Funny you should say that, she's had another dog here for the past week. Unfortunately he is the laziest lump of a Labrador you'll ever meet.

[Edited out for visible phone number, you're welcome - Roborodent]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 31, 2023

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

She obviously has a strong understanding of social justice and is boycotting Nestle.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Umbra's go to move whenever I pet her is to roll completely on her back and present the belly. It's adorable and sweet but I picked out a tall dog specifically so I wouldn't have to bend over to pet them all the time.

10/10

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

If I so much as take a step towards the kitchen within two hours of feeding time Umbra will leap over furniture and skid across the floor to get to her bowl before I'm halfway there.

I had to get her a slow feeder bowl because she would swallow the kibble whole and have noxious fermented farts.

Dog tax as well.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Dogs are the best. You're going to do great.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

My dog, despite her more than negligible Husky heritage will only howl in response to emergency vehicle sirens.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Today Umbra found out that the stripey cats are spicy. Her first instinct after getting sprayed by a skunk was to run inside and rub her face against every surface she could find in the house. Had to rush her to a pet supply place that has a dog wash for a skunk bath. Now I have the house ventilating heavily while I hose down the entire house in an enzyme cleaner.

It's a good thing she's pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

After over a year sharing a house they're finally chill enough to nap together.