Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
We got a puppy from the shelter back in November. At that time she was around 4 months old. She had some stress issues for a little while and couldn't keep any food down, so we were feeding her Hill's I/D for digestion. Now we've transitioned her to Nature's Logic Chicken Meal.

The problem we've been having is that her poo always turns to mush towards the end of a movement. The first turd is normal but the end is like soft-serve ice cream, and doesn’t come off the sidewalk. This was happening through the Hills as well so I don't think it's a food problem. It could also be stress related, as she enjoys going outside but gets stress easily. She doesn't like putting on her collar and getting ready to go out, but when she gets outside and forgets about all the cars and loud noises she has fun. I've also thought that maybe I'm feeding her too much, but I'm not sure about that either. A chart I found said for a 20 pound 8 month old we should be feeding her around 700 calories a day. I think she was getting maybe 750-800 or so, but I don't want to underfeed her as well since she's still growing.

So what can I do to firm up this pup's poop? Lower her calories? Feed her supplements or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
When our pup gets very excited or stress her stomach can sort of seize up and not work, which means she ends up puking. She was picked up on the street at 2 months old and then spent another 2 months in the shelter. The result is that she is a very very sensitive dog. Did something exciting or terrifying happen the day before the pukes? Introducing a new kind of treat or chew after stress also caused it sometimes. Our girl is 8 months old now so it happens less, but there was a small period where we had to put her in the vet’s because the puking was stressing her out and created a cycle.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
This is Gaeul.

She’s about 20 pounds of love and fear. She just had what we are calling her first birthday on Sunday. Her favorite activities are playing with other dogs, and running away from their owners.

This week’s goal is getting her to jump into the car by herself. Right now she will only get in if I pick her up. She will walk almost to the door and then try to run away.

She is a good girl.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Our dog has problems with bigger treats like biscuits. Fruit as well. Unless it’s in tiny pieces she will either lick it or fight it like she doesn’t know what to do. Especially if it’s new. It’s adorable.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
When our dog was first picked up she had a luxating patella. Our vet said it had gone away, but now we just saw a new vet who said it’s definitely a thing. Grade two. Apparently this can eventually lead to disk problems and will eventually require surgery. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this to hold off surgery as long as possible? Our vet recommended tug play to help her build her back leg muscles even more, and keep her from running around on non-carpeted floors. Our pup is only a year old right now so we’d like for her to have as much fun as she can, but safely.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Could you maybe take him on a morning walk in a different direction instead of the back yard? Just avoiding the back yard entirely at that time of day may help the neighbors.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Oh lord that's a cute puppy.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

StrixNebulosa posted:

urgh

Apollo managed to half tear off his dew claw. It's almost completely removed, the quick is exposed, etc. It's his second time doing this, and I just... Apollo please let me pull it completely off so we can wash it and bandage it.

Instead he's giving me Looks and this is probably going to be a vet visit. urgh

This happened to us two weeks ago. So much blood. Good luck.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Time is a thing too. Until then, pick her up and carry her. Our dog would pee the second we got into the hallway. Then she would occasionally pee waiting for or in the elevator. Now she will hold it until she hits dirt or grass, no matter what.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
When we first got our dog the vet said excessive drooling in the car was probably because of car-sickness. Our pup grew out of that (but still hates the car) but every dog is different.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Enfys posted:

Make sure he can still see outside however he's restrained in the car.

The restraint thing is also important I think. Initially we had a thing that just kept our dog in the backseat, so she would wander around as much as possible. Then we got a soft kennel and she improved a lot because she couldn’t make herself sick by being nervous and going from window to window.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
After we take our dog to the park we take a hand towel and wet it with warm water and use that to freshen our pup up. Seems to really help.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
They didn’t really like my dog at daycare either. Honestly, I prefer her craziness, and am happy they didn’t get her to calm down too much. Now at 2 she still plays like a puppy.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Good god the size of those paws. Such a lovely pup.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Yea our dog threw up one afternoon after her heartworm meds and the vet said don’t worry about it. Same as above. It’s only if they don’t have them for a few months that it’s a thing.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
My dog is a dainty chewer but she has enjoyed the yak cheese previously mentioned in the thread, as well as bully sticks. She never understood how to chew a Kong, and I doubt she even has the jaw strength to do it. They're strictly for licking in her book.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

i own every Bionicle posted:

Is she drinking too much water? I cared for a friend’s pomsky who would drink until she had an accident if she was exercising a lot or it was warm. You had to limit her water intake (obviously without dehydrating her) during the summer. Same thing, no issues at night.

I would guess this as well. When my dog was a pup she would get excited and run around all the time and then drink way too much water. She got better about it as she grew older.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Joburg posted:

Some dogs are dog-dogs and some are people-dogs. If yours is a dog-dog, it will grow to love you more than other people, even if you are still not as great as the dog they just met.

Exactly this. Our dog is two and a half now and from the time she was a puppy she was never that into me or people. Coming from a shelter, I think she just missed that critical period where she learned to love people. Over time she has improved and gotten better around people and us. Sometimes it feels like we are just beings she tolerates because we give her food. But then when I go into the bedroom to read she'll follow me in and lay down in a place. She loves me to death, she just has a different way of showing it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
How about different dog tags? We have a metal slide on tag that doesn’t dangle. Nothing to chew.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm currently on the plane, waiting for takeoff. Pavlov is in cargo, very audibly barking his head off.

I hope you’re okay in all this as well. If I was in your position I would be on just as many anxiety meds as Pavlov.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
This is going to sound weird, but I miss North Carolina ticks. All the ticks here in Korea are these super tiny little things smaller than the size of a pinhead. Every time we go into the woods she comes back covered in them, and because they’re so small I keep finding them for hours. Luckily she’s white so they stand out but it is still such a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

i own every Bionicle posted:

I’ve tried but he shies away from the scary windy opening. Doesn’t seem to enjoy sniffing the air like a normal dog.

My pup is the same. Window down? Let me get as far away from that as possible.