Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

That being said, I really hope they switch it up, and we get to hear Spock deliver the "Of all the souls I've encountered..." line.

It would kind of sound like an insult coming from him, though, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Some Other Guy posted:

This actually brings me to a small complaint about something I didn't like about the first movie: the depiction of earth. You got facist looking speeder-bike cops, huge canyons in Illinois from strip-mining, and apparently corporations such as Nokia and Anheiser Busch still flourish after poverty and want have been eliminated. I miss communist-Utopia Star Trek :(

I made this case in the TVIV Trek thread, but considering it's firmly established as a separate universe from TOS/TNG/etc, I feel like it's a bit like being annoyed that the Mirror Universe is dark and over-the-top.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

If they don't dip into the water every once in a while, how else are they going to fill up their engineering/comic relief tubes in the brewery section of the ship?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Dark One posted:

Exposed to inappropriate levels of solar galactic barrier energy he becomes the quadrant's smartest man. Solving mytseries and righting wrongs by day, while trying to stay one step ahead of the murderous Starfleet agent known as Ron Silver by night, his only companion is his redshirt bunkmate, who was merged with a shuttlecraft by an incompetent transporter chief.

This would be amazing, but I would probably sound like a crazy person in the theatre, excitedly trying to explain to whoever I was seeing it with just what Heat Vision and Jack is.

"And Owen Wilson was a talking motorcycle! This is just like it!"

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 11, 2012

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Star Trek 2013: We'll even poo poo on the use of basic complementary colors!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

(Avatar failed at a lot of things but nailed fantastical settings).

And Avatar didn't use that exact same color scheme that you're complaining about at all!

You seem to be ignoring the bright red planet shown in the trailers, and the fact that people are saying that colours are actually used well in the 9-minute preview.

And shots like these:

Which aren't graded at all like the ones that you're talking about.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 18, 2012

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

That's it! It was a brewery it was built on. That's awesome. It looked great. People are stupid.

They should probably just retcon that area to be the water reclamation system, which is right beside engineering, or something.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cheesus posted:

It didn't make sense to my why the Enterprise would be dropping instead of gliding

Also, you know, those shots seem to show it starting from above the atmosphere, where there is no air to make gliding a thing?

Once it hit the atmosphere at that trajectory, it would probably be more likely to start flipping and spiraling rather than any sort of gliding.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 4, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I hope this means that Spock is going to be in a fatsuit for the first half of the movie.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It always reminded me of this, more:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

And the part where the evil twins have goatees.

I don't think that's actually a thing, it's been exaggerated from, like, one example. (Spock)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

penismightier posted:

That's because so many fans are only fans of the gray tedium of Next Gen, which is the goddamn board game version of Star Trek.

Sometimes literally!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ash1138 posted:

It was made pretty clear that transporters suck at locking on to a person who's moving.

Unless Chekov's doing it. Because he's smarter and faster than a computer.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I said this in the Star Wars thread, but sci-fi has a real lack of proactive female characters that it really should work to fix.

Ripley in Alien? Carter or Dr. Weir in the Stargate Franchise? Several Firefly characters? Sarah Connor? Dana Scully?

I'm pretty sure sci-fi is not even remotely lacking in that regard, unless you're still living in the 70s.

(Star Trek and Star Wars aren't necessarily the best examples, though. But, Star Trek certainly isn't the worst, either.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 21, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There's a very real argument to make about the Firefly characters and every other one you mentioned there is from the 90s or earlier.

I can throw down some more recent ones: Olivia, Astrid, and Nina in Fringe, several characters in Utopia, several characters in Misfits, Selena in 28 Days Later...

What difference does it make that a bunch of the examples were from things from the 90s?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 21, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

You name a franchise that spans a decade and you can only name two proactive women.

Stargate? Well, I'm just in Atlantis Season 2/SG-1 Season 9 right now, but I could easily name more just off the top of my head.

Dr. Fraiser, I would imagine Vala gets some character development, but I've only seen the one episode with her so far, Teyla...

It wasn't that I could only name 2, I just wasn't about to name every single proactive female character in the franchise, I was just trying to give some main-character examples.

And I'm sure some of my examples could be debated, but I'm also sure that other people could name many others.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 21, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CPFortest posted:

I'm appalled by the lack of BSG mentions in this thread when it comes to decently written women in Scifi.

Hell yeah, Roslin, Starbuck, Boomer.

Just as I was saying, plenty of other examples out there. You could probably count Lost and Alias, too.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 21, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

NO ONE SHOULD SEE TORCHWOOD

Everyone should watch Torchwood: Children of Earth. But I've only watched that and a bit of Miracle Day, and I'm fine not voyaging further.

Seriously, though, Children of Earth is fantastic and works just fine as a standalone miniseries.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 24, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I said come in! posted:

My point is that calling her a lead character isn't really accurate. Bones wasnt either, I agree with the posters saying that much. The only two real characters were Spock and Kirk.

It's not a poster for the first movie, though...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I'd prefer the hulking humanoid Godzilla dudes with insect eyes to humanoid velociraptors.

It's worth noting that only two out of the many different types of Gorn apparently in the game are in that trailer.

You're going to get your hulking humanoid Godzilla ones, too. (Although even in that video, none of them look quite like the classic Gorn. I do miss the insect eyes.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Barudak posted:

I would like it if the button causes Kirk to attempt to pound it and Spock to spout a pithy one liner over the childishness of the whole thing. DLC Bones to tell you after every head shot that "He's dead, Jim"

I would totally buy that DLC.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

Nah. L-R: Max Grodenchik, Armin Shimerman, Aron Eisenberg.

You're wrong, Jeffrey Combs is such a talented actor, he was actually playing all three of them in that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Dark One posted:

That column is broken. A ten thousand light-year gap, crossed at the speed of light, somehow takes one hundred thousand years?

You have to account for all of the crazy poo poo that's out there, obviously. I mean, it's pretty much a given that in that expanse, you'd come across a few temporal anomalies.

• Locked thread