Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Captain Log posted:

:hmmyes:

Also, her and Blue are starting to get a little less stupid around each other. But then again, Blue will always try to follow her around by flying. Despite spending the majority of his life not flying, Blue is getting pretty good at it. But he cannot land worth a poo poo.

Which means this frequently happens -

- Serra flies to me

- Blue tries to follow, but cannot land

- Serra gets startled and flies away like a heat seeking missile

- Blue gets startled and flies away like a hummingbird with two right wings

- The start flapping around the condo without any idea where they are going

- Three to five times, they re-startle each other while flying

- I end up having to find one of them wedged between the blinds of a window or clutching a hanging jacket while upside-down

Pictured - Their relationship

:kimchi: Oh those goobers. They're so great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I remodeled my living room yesterday and today, so now my computer desk and the bird cage are right next to each other. So now I can look at them at any time, and they have a much better view of what I'm doing too. And as far as I can tell, they absolutely love it, both of them feel much more relaxed and spend their time preening instead of yelling at me.
Sadly I haven't been able to give them any out-of-cage time for several weeks now, because of the ongoing renovations in the apartment complex meaning everything is generally chaos and much more dangerous.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 9, 2024

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If you're a filthy shut-in like me who spends most of their free time at the PC, look forward to the next level of friendship with your feathered friends. Being in close proximity to them for literal hours on end will do wonders for the amount of trust they gain towards you. Couple that with an open cage door and I guarantee there will be some cheeky forays in your general direction.

PS: I don't know how messy your living room is, but chances are if you give them out-of-cage time, they'd immediately fly to the highest perch - probably the curtain rail - and just sit there and chill for the entire time. I typically have a very messy living room but they never, ever go off the beaten path. Their hotspots are the back of my chair, me, or the curtain rails. Never in the two years here have they tried venturing elsewhere.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Qubee posted:

If you're a filthy shut-in like me who spends most of their free time at the PC, look forward to the next level of friendship with your feathered friends. Being in close proximity to them for literal hours on end will do wonders for the amount of trust they gain towards you. Couple that with an open cage door and I guarantee there will be some cheeky forays in your general direction.

PS: I don't know how messy your living room is, but chances are if you give them out-of-cage time, they'd immediately fly to the highest perch - probably the curtain rail - and just sit there and chill for the entire time. I typically have a very messy living room but they never, ever go off the beaten path. Their hotspots are the back of my chair, me, or the curtain rails. Never in the two years here have they tried venturing elsewhere.

Attached: My new view from the computer desk.

I do have a large swing hanging right under the ceiling, in the middle of the room, and they always love hanging out there. Previously I also had curtain rails, and they would perch on that, but unfortunately also chew on the ceiling trim if I didn't keep an eye on them there. I won't have a curtain rod/rail like that now, but rather a different style of curtains. A large amount of my stuff is stacked up in boxes right now, but also a lot of loose stuff strewn about still, and various furniture huddled together in corners, to make space for the builders when they need to work inside my apartment.
I've learned a lot about how these two dudes behave and explore in the past 8+ years, and will definitely be able to layout my room better now, than it was before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ugh i think grace might be egging, we'll see. she's so bitsy. :ohdear:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Qubee posted:

I typically have a very messy living room but they never, ever go off the beaten path.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. My place is super small and also serves as my art studio, there's bits of paper and dried botanicals everywhere. I seem to generate sand and plant dirt everywhere I go??

Qubee
May 31, 2013

nielsm posted:

Attached: My new view from the computer desk.

Oh oops, you've got pterodactyls. For some reason I just assumed budgies. Good luck getting any work done with those handsome nuggets staring at you. If you made that cage, it's beautfiul. I also love that you just have a swing hanging in the middle of your room, the dedication is inspiring. I've got no clue how cockatiels behave but they've been your babies for 8 years so you absolutely know them better than me. Keep the criminals caged until such a time as the environment is better suited to their criminal activities. My two used to go haywire with the trim when I had curtain rails, I've since moved the rails lower but they've (actually just Wasabi) recently discovered the stupid alcove that goes around the perimeter of the ceiling where the LED light strip is installed and they (Wasabi) keeps flying up and crawling all through the alcove and nothing deters her. I'll shoo her off every time so she doesn't get the chance to form a habit and so far, she's only going up every now and then. A good half year back, she was obsessed with the alcove and would go up at every opportunity but thankfully she forgot about it until recently. She deserves bird jail but she's just too cute.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Glad to know I'm not the only one. My place is super small and also serves as my art studio, there's bits of paper and dried botanicals everywhere. I seem to generate sand and plant dirt everywhere I go??

Chick is too busy being hormonally charged and obsessed with me to bother exploring any of the mess. Wasabi is more than happy to perch and whistle on her curtain rod and observe from a height, or venture down every now and then only to be chased off by Chick. Sometimes I want to get a guy friend for Wasabi but 1) I am terrified of prolapses, 2) I am terrified of chronic egg laying and 3) she seems oh so happy with her own company, spirally rope perch and window view to ever want a man in her life. Chick on the other hand has resorted to her natural state of violence and rage, my hand is riddled with bite marks which I'm looking at in a positive light and saying it means Chick is well enough to want to maim and kill.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Just in case anyone wants a laugh, here is Blue the Parakeet giving himself twenty-plus seconds of happy feet in an attempt to gas himself up to fly.

This is old. He's a lot better now. Serra is not happy about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfUmfqhENoY

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Turns out we have a chicken

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

titty_baby_ posted:

He's being a loaf!!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

titty_baby_ posted:

My God, what a glorious little Floofus. :kimchi:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Budgies are such little treasures

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I am seeing things which should not be possible.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Captain Log posted:

Blue gets startled and flies away like a hummingbird with two right wings

This phrase gave me great joy. Thank you.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Captain Log posted:

“Mountains know secrets we need to learn. That might take time, it might be hard, but if you just hold on long enough, you will find the strength to rise up”
- Borb proverb, probably

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

They're just... so... round!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Log posted:

The answer is apparently, "Muscles."

I don't really believe it, either.

Cockatiel built like a comic book goon.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

They're ridiculously adorable these days. It's 9:30am and these goobers aren't technically meant to be up yet, but I get tonnes of light bleed through the blinds. They've started waking up around 9ish (lights aren't on until 10:30), snacking on their seeds, playing a bit in the seagrass toys, and then they'll waddle back up to their perches and sleep again until 10:50ish.

I just popped in to give em both kisses but Chick is too difficult in her hormonal mood, she just immediately pins her eyes and starts trying to find a nest on me. Wasabi just watches in confusion. Overall though, they're happy and healthy and oh so active.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Log posted:

Did Rob Liefeld draw your bird?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjhlIt-IsY

Qubee
May 31, 2013

First time ever they've had the courage to explore the table

https://streamable.com/54iytn

She still has a minor hunch in her tail and I don't know what it is indicating. It used to be extremely pronounced but the meds drastically reduced it. It's still present but much smaller, sometimes if she's relaxing it'll hunch quite obviously again. I've got no clue what could be causing it, but I'm assuming it's the respiratory infection she was dealing with? Hoping it's not because of permanent damage. She has the cutest little wing feather that has been poking out at an odd angle for weeks, she can't seem to preen it off. And my goodness, I don't recognize her. She's way more confident in her flying behaviour, she'll do some ridiculous acrobatics to reach me. She's also so stubbornly strong now as well, she'll just perch on my hand or leg and she feels so solid. Her eyes also have a lot more life in them, she has less of the glazed over look she typically had.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

whats going on with her ceres? i can't see from that picture (ignore the gender stuff on the chart was just looking for a good variety)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also:

this is her second, we unfortunately lost the first because she laid it in the hood of my hoodie (that i was wearing). none of us knew what was going on.

but fortunately we went and bought a breeding house and by the time she was ready for her second she had stopped being scared of it and dug in.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mediaphage posted:

whats going on with her ceres? i can't see from that picture (ignore the gender stuff on the chart was just looking for a good variety)

Wasabi has slight hyperkeratosis, both girls have brown ceres because they're both austin powers and in a perpetual state of horniness

thankfully, Wasabi's hyperkeratosis has never impeded her ability to breathe so we can ignore it, which is the most relieving thing ever.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not enough pouches.

But my god, if you dropped a marble near her, it'd probably start to orbit.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VODETfytGG0

Tux continues to be obsessed with feet but at least this morning he was cute about it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there may be a secret third egg hidden we aren’t sure

bee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VODETfytGG0

Tux continues to be obsessed with feet but at least this morning he was cute about it.

:kimchi:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

grace. thats enough.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Goodness, Grace. Calm that cloaca!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mediaphage posted:

grace. thats enough.

Are you gonna let them hatch, or just give them a discreet scramble?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you gonna let them hatch, or just give them a discreet scramble?

against my better judgement we’re going to let them hatch. she worked so hard i’m not sure i can bring myself to scramble them anyway lol. she’s so little.

our breeder was able to look at the pic and tell the order of laying haha. from the top-right widdershins it’s 1-3-2-4-5.

quote:

Lol. So funny. I can pretty well tell in what order these eggs were laid. I can see the first 3 are fertile. The last 2 it's too early to see yet. But no reason to doubt that they are.

Very nice clutch. I like how organized and neat she is. OMG. some pairs just don't care or are disorganized. This way she can tuck them all under her feathers. Some hens pluck their breast feathers off to have the eggs directly touch her skin.

i can’t get over the past year with her. she was on deaths door last year as i know some of you remember. and now look at her!

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 20, 2024

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
You're going to hatch them? What will become of the chicks?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i guess we’ll keep them? lol. our breeder might be interested in one; she got out of breeding and has never really kept a bird as a companion

this is not really something i signed up for but my spouse will step up since this was in large part their decision. tbqh tho i think 1-10 linnies is probably the same amount of effort, minus the pooping

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 20, 2024

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My dream is to live in a house with 1000 linnies so I say go for it

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Eejit posted:

My dream is to live in a house with 1000 linnies so I say go for it

This, but any bread of parrot.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Captain Log posted:

This, but any bread of parrot.

The images this conjured made my night, bless you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it sounds like a spell from macbeth

bread of parrot
tail of crow
tell me what
i wish to know

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

mediaphage posted:

it sounds like a spell from macbeth

bread of parrot
tail of crow
tell me what
i wish to know

Your parrots are some drat Animes, I'll tell you h'what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hims gettin' a little extra chubs because he's feeding her and will be feeding the kids soon lol